• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic The Hedgehog Offical Thread

Xenon

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Sonic Team should be disbanded and scattered across the four corners of the earth!

In the next game Eggman can find them and put them back together, only sonic can stop him!

doclinea.jpg

GREAT SCOTT!!! ITS A PARADOX!

Rlan

If you're desperate to play it, just hire it.

I was in your exact position last year. I've got a god damn wall of Sonic shit that I've collected. Just look at it. I started the very popular "Sonic Fan Games HQ" website back in 1998, and currently run "Secrets of Sonic Team".

room1ny2.jpg

I know what I'm talking about.

But I will not buy Sonic Nextgen. It, and Sonic Genesis GBA are the worst pieces of filth to ever come out of SEGA. I even bought Shadow, and I can't believe how I wasted a stupid amount of GOOD money on the most ass-tastic game I've ever played - alongside Astro Boy PS2. And such an awful, AWFUL game sold over a million copies collectively, even with the worst of reviews for it.

We are part of the god damn problem, and it needs to stop right now. By making a awful game like this tank, it should finally start sending messages to SEGA to actually try. Hell, I *LOVE* Sonic Rush, best game in YEARS, and no sequel. Dimps finally got it right, and instead we get an awful, awful GBA rendition of the first game.

If you're that desperate to get it, wait 6 months when it goes to the bargain bin. You have a 360, and some of the best games are coming out for it right now. Go buy Viva Pianta, Gears of War, Dead Rising, hell buy the new SPYRO for the Xbox or something. You and everyone else in the Sonic community need to realise that collecting shit will get us nowhere.

TheDuce22

Banned
Even with the problems this is the best 3d Sonic game. Dont know if it deserves to score THAT low. The graphics really are impressive in certain areas.

TheDuce22 said:
Even with the problems this is the best 3d Sonic game. Dont know if it deserves to score THAT low. The graphics really are impressive in certain areas.

If this is the best 3d Sonic game, someone needs to take Sonic behind the barn.

TheDuce22

Banned
Pureauthor said:
If this is the best 3d Sonic game, someone needs to take Sonic behind the barn.

I think reviews today just put less weight behind gameplay. A bad game that is polished will score higher than a fun game with a few glitches.

D-X

I'm actually a conscientious buyer (I'd like to think so at least). I bought Riders and Shadow for the princely sum of £5 so I'd hardly say I'm part of the problem. For every bad Sonic game in my collection there is a Psychonauts, OutRun 2006 and an Otogi. It pains me that Sonic games are considered to be bad now, how the mighty have fallen.

Yes everyone here wants a new Sonic game that works, exactly what this was touted to be. Bad reviews don't matter to Sega that's apparant, but would lower sales really dampen a sequel which is probably in the works right now - along with Riders 2?

(Sega fans put your blinkers on now)*

For me this is a step back in the right direction to the Sonic Adventure titles which I never had any problems with. Shadow was rock bottom so things can only get better...right?

As for the art direction and the Princess I have no problem with this but maybe its because the whole carrying a princess thing has been done before.

sonic1id8.jpg

*Free in special boxes of Virtua Quest

Kammie

I don't know. I spent about three hours playing it last night, and just like with the demo, suddenly everything "clicked" for me. I stopped dying, stopped being sent to death from every single ramp I stepped off of, and just plain started enjoying it. It's like once you learn the stages, the game functions fine. But your first time through every stage is a grueling experience. :/

I still haven't used anyone other than Sonic, though, so I don't know.

Also, the boss stages are horrendous. Would a lock-on system just for them be that difficult to implement?

And btw, mapping all the attacks to the X button is retarded, for lack of a more fitting word. Does Sonic Team think this actually simplifies the game? :/

TheDuce22

Banned
Kammie said:
I don't know. I spent about three hours playing it last night, and just like with the demo, suddenly everything "clicked" for me. I stopped dying, stopped being sent to death from every single ramp I stepped off of, and just plain started enjoying it. It's like once you learn the stages, the game functions fine. But your first time through every stage is a grueling experience. :/

Thats the thing, the glitches and bugs are easily avoidable once you know the level. The gameplay is great, the graphics are impressive as hell at times, its the load times that hurt more than anything.

I still haven't used anyone other than Sonic, though, so I don't know.

Also, the boss stages are horrendous. Would a lock-on system just for them be that difficult to implement?

The bosses where you really need the camera to lock on, it does. You should try some of the other characters, the Silver stages are awesome with all the physics based stuff. Ive only done one level on Shadow but he seems to play pretty much the same as Sonic.

Speevy

Banned
Rlan said:
If you're desperate to play it, just hire it.

I was in your exact position last year. I've got a god damn wall of Sonic shit that I've collected. Just look at it. I started the very popular "Sonic Fan Games HQ" website back in 1998, and currently run "Secrets of Sonic Team".

room1ny2.jpg

I know what I'm talking about.

But I will not buy Sonic Nextgen. It, and Sonic Genesis GBA are the worst pieces of filth to ever come out of SEGA. I even bought Shadow, and I can't believe how I wasted a stupid amount of GOOD money on the most ass-tastic game I've ever played - alongside Astro Boy PS2. And such an awful, AWFUL game sold over a million copies collectively, even with the worst of reviews for it.

We are part of the god damn problem, and it needs to stop right now. By making a awful game like this tank, it should finally start sending messages to SEGA to actually try. Hell, I *LOVE* Sonic Rush, best game in YEARS, and no sequel. Dimps finally got it right, and instead we get an awful, awful GBA rendition of the first game.

If you're that desperate to get it, wait 6 months when it goes to the bargain bin. You have a 360, and some of the best games are coming out for it right now. Go buy Viva Pianta, Gears of War, Dead Rising, hell buy the new SPYRO for the Xbox or something. You and everyone else in the Sonic community need to realise that collecting shit will get us nowhere.

If it's just for a wall, I don't think you ever cared much for quality to begin with. Continue your collection.

FightyF

Banned
AniHawk said:
Don't pay attention to freeform. Buy Secret Rings and support good gaming.

It's in the best interest of Sonic fans not to buy Secret Rings. It would send a message to SEGA that this is the direction we want to see Sonic go to, which is a flat out lie.

Saw that vid, *LOL* I'm not surprised, seriously, I knew there was gonna be some human-hedgehog action. I just wonder what that Lucy Chabert (or whatever her name is) was thinking when doing the voice acting.

I'm thinking of leading an armed coup of Sonic Team USA...WHO'S WITH ME!

Until then...BELIEVE
They've asked me to join the dev team and I will and Naka will cry

AniHawk

Fight for Freeform said:
It's in the best interest of Sonic fans not to buy Secret Rings. It would send a message to SEGA that this is the direction we want to see Sonic go to, which is a flat out lie.

Saw that vid, *LOL* I'm not surprised, seriously, I knew there was gonna be some human-hedgehog action. I just wonder what that Lucy Chabert (or whatever her name is) was thinking when doing the voice acting.

I'm thinking of leading an armed coup of Sonic Team USA...WHO'S WITH ME!

Until then...BELIEVE

Awesome. I always thought Tails needed a gun.

AniHawk

Fight for Freeform said:
It's a work in progress. And yet it's already better than Sonic 360 and Sonic Wii combined. :lol

That's true. I actually got excited watching that (shitty butt rock, tails w/ gun, and shitty friends aside). I guess Secret Rings will have to hold me off until Sonic the Hedgehog 3D comes to fruition.

Firestorm

That video was beautiful. Reminded me of the first trailer I saw for this gaming thinking "oh shit they were listening!"

Of course, this game then put out the E3 trailer with Shadow in a jeep and then Silver which made me go "godammit sega."

Christopher

Wait so I like how people who haven't even played the game are coming in here to troll...I suppose the Wii thread is up for game too than? I think that looks like shit too, but only shit on rails.

Rlan you purchased Shadow dude, you have no say in telling people not to buy this game :lol.

FightyF

Banned
Christopher said:
Wait so I like how people who haven't even played the game are coming in here to troll...I suppose the Wii thread is up for game too than? I think that looks like shit too, but only shit on rails.

Rlan you purchased Shadow dude, you have no say in telling people not to buy thing game :lol.

That only gives him even more credibility IMO. He got burned once so we don't have to.

Remind you of anyone? His name starts with a "J".
Jacques de Molay

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Haven't read this whole thread, but I'm gonna throw my $.02 in. As far as I'm concerned, Sonic games are worthless without Chao gardens. Anyone agree with me at all or am I up for a lynching?

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
D-X said:
All you UK GAFers Tesco will be selling Sonic for £39 when it's released on Friday

Most of the supermarkets sell 360 games at web prices now (£40 usually). They aren't always great at getting new games in stock on release day but they are a nice alternative for people who can't buy online with a credit card. I dunno how GAME and others still get away with charging £50 for most 360 games.

Fight for Freeform said:
Until then...BELIEVE
Not bad at all. Could be great.

Get rid of the guns, pull the camera back on the outdoor parts of the levels, lessen the number of pits or drops (reminds me too much of Sonic Rush) and ****ing change the music.

Brannon

I've rented the game because I held hope that it wouldn't be as bad as Shadow. But so far it's its own kind of badness.

Sega...

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Where the ***** are the mods?
Reading through this shit was worse then gamefaqs.

I wanted to read what people who owned this game think of it here, after seeing the youtube videos & it did look pretty good.

so over 300 post & only 5 of them impressions worth a damn & the rest are piss shit trolls. :lol
So basically from the thread there are more good impressions then bad & a lot of angry trolls shitting their pants over the new Sonic.

so to anyone who bought the game and made past the 1st level:

1) is the camera faster to rotate then in the demo?

2) how is the Sonic level ratio to the other character level ratio? Like can you play as Sonic all the way without the other characters like in SA1?

3) is dying from bottomless platforms as bad throughout the game as it was in the demo?

I could give a rats ass about the loading times, I played games with much longer & more frequent load times in the past & that didn't stop me from enjoying a game.

The Story? who gives a ****, it's a platform game for christ sake, just ignore it.

Christopher

headbang-1.gif

I will say this, I listened to the soundtrack, and bitching about the game aside, I will always love the Sonic soundtracks.

D-X

I'm not totally sold on the 'in this world' chorus - sounds like the guy can't reach the notes.

Shadow the Hedgehog actually had a really good soundtrack (except for Almost Dead) a fact obscured by the crapness of the rest of the game

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns

Christopher

Only the most blindly reverent Sonic the Hedgehog fan could possibly squeeze any enjoyment out of Sega's latest adventure. This platformer is a mess from top to bottom, and any of the occasional moments that don't feel somehow broken only serve to make the game's other flaws appear that much bigger

Right ok I'm good here guys.

Maztorre

Well at least now you've outright admitted that you'll buy a game that is a "mess from top to bottom" just because it has Sonic plastered all over it.

Christopher

Maztorre said:
Well at least now you've outright admitted that you'll buy a game that is a "mess from top to bottom" just because it has Sonic plastered all over it.

Actually no, I'm just going to rent it...if it truly is that bad I will be very dissapointed, very.

Well I got a Wii today, so I guess I'm on board for Secret of the Rings =\

FTWer said:
Where the ***** are the mods?
Reading through this shit was worse then gamefaqs.

I wanted to read what people who owned this game think of it here, after seeing the youtube videos & it did look pretty good.

so over 300 post & only 5 of them impressions worth a damn & the rest are piss shit trolls. :lol
So basically from the thread there are more good impressions then bad & a lot of angry trolls shitting their pants over the new Sonic.

so to anyone who bought the game and made past the 1st level:

1) is the camera faster to rotate then in the demo?

2) how is the Sonic level ratio to the other character level ratio? Like can you play as Sonic all the way without the other characters like in SA1?

3) is dying from bottomless platforms as bad throughout the game as it was in the demo?

I could give a rats ass about the loading times, I played games with much longer & more frequent load times in the past & that didn't stop me from enjoying a game.

The Story? who gives a ****, it's a platform game for christ sake, just ignore it.

Behead all those saying Sonic is crap. :D

racerx77

Banned
ok.. if someone who has the game (and likes it, as I do)- how do you break the wire gate to get into the station? The older lady said "if you need help, go to the shop, but I cant FIND a shop anywhere! Do you need something special to do it, or am I overlooking something obvious? thanks in advance.:)

racerx77 said:
ok.. if someone who has the game (and likes it, as I do)- how do you break the wire gate to get into the station? The older lady said "if you need help, go to the shop, but I cant FIND a shop anywhere! Do you need something special to do it, or am I overlooking something obvious? thanks in advance.:)

Look for the computer monitor sitting out in the middle of a group of buildings(big yellow dot on the map). Once there buy the latest item. It's the bounce bracelet or something and lets you do a directly downwards attack ala the bubble from Sonic 3K. After that head to a grate located in one of the corners of the area(I think you have to fight a few enemies) do the bounce attack on the grate and it'll give way leading you behind the Station gate and right next to the portal to the next stage.

Oh and that Sonic 3K run is freaking sick. I always like these kinds of vids.

EDIT: Ah man wtf. Guy does some ridiculous shortcut in the third zone and fights Knuckles' boss instead of Sonic/Tails'..there are no words.

sega4ever

i just ordered this using the $20 off a $50 order using google checkout at buy.com, i'll give my negative impressions when i get it.

edit: it was $44.35 with shipping

GCQuinton

I just finished Gears of War yesterday so I'm just getting around to Sonic now. I'm only about an hour in and am generally enjoying it as I'm a big Sonic fan, but here are is of negative stuff that caught my eye:

- The camera controls from the demo are fixed and it's a bit more easy to control, but it still gets possessed at times in high speed moments or at times when you are on a fixed path.

- Loading for this game simply sucks. I mean, aside from Smackdown vs. Raw, I've never seen a game prompt a literally five second IN GAME cutscene and proceed to load again to get back to that exact same point.

Other than that so far I'm not having too bad of a time with it, but it's way too early too tell right now.

And love or hate the game, this is some of the best Sonic music I've heard in a while.

Mr Toast

As far as I'm concerned, Sonic ended with Doomsday Zone in Sonic & Knuckles. I will not let my memories be tainted by the "efforts" of Sonic Team aimed at destroying the series.

Such as waste ... :(

Top Bottom