• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Net Revenues from GTA products exceeded $700 million over the past 12 months

Zukuu

Banned
Ct8Z_ocWIAAD2EL.jpg

* GTA Online has been hugely successful for Take Two & Rockstar
* Take Two earned more from GTA V in its third year than they did in the game's second year.
* Note that the game wasn't re-released in that 12 month period.
* Revenue today is generated from catalog sales + GTA Online spend.
https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/783373457648148480

No wonder they aren't in a rush to get a new game out.

Download a lock if old.

Me and the wife and her friends still play a lot. I love the updates. Wish they would add to updates though.

But man would be nice for a new game from them one of these years....

Permanently A

I can honestly see them releasing a standalone sandbox GTA with no story. A lot of people seem to only play GTA to fuck around.

J_Viper

I can honestly see them releasing a standalone sandbox GTA with no story. A lot of people seem to only play GTA to fuck around.
Which is kinda crazy to me. The missions are the actual worth while part of GTAV.

Messing about in the open world gets boring after five minutes. Especially when the cops are so infuriating to deal with.

If they don't make it a grindy product with tons of restrictions on having fun and terrible matchmaking with no servers or decent ways of playing what you want with other people, then I'd honestly be all for it. Heists were better than any single player, scripted/linear missions, and even some of the basic multiplayer missions were fun with other people.

GTA: Online had the makings of a great experience, but certain design decisions just made it naff

I can't wait to see what they do with the next Red Dead game!
The story mode was amazing! The multiplayer was cool too.

I wonder if they'll make an online mode for it similar to GTA Online?

Rockstar definitely have projects in development, it's going to be amazing to see them!

I wouldn't be mad at them if they released a GTA Online game in a box, at $60, with no singleplayer story, as long as they marketed it appropriately.

Would probably do well for them.

18-Volt

Man, all those money but Rockstar still makes one game per three years. I'm not sure if they know market very well or they're just lazy.

zma1013

Looks like the mobile money syphoning strategy work. Make returns of ingame cash miniscule then release exhorbitantly priced DLC content and then sell ingame cash for real money, all the while punishing the player for playing GTA like GTA.

Aselith

Man, all those money but Rockstar still makes one game per three years. I'm not sure if they know market very well or they're just lazy.

They should make one every week!

Looks like the mobile money syphoning strategy work. Make returns of ingame cash miniscule then release exhorbitantly priced DLC content and then sell ingame cash for real money, all the while punishing the player for playing GTA like GTA.

How does it punish you?

Not lazy at all it sucks from perhaps a gamer point of view(even than not really it's just the wait that sucks) they have the luxury of not having to pump out title after title repeatedly to keep the studio afloat because their titles sell so damn well and now add GTA online into the mix racking in mass amounts of cash for years even after release they have no need to rush.

zma1013

But can't you just steal a car from an NPC? I haven't played it much.

If the car is saved and insured then you can get it back, but the person that blows it up pays the costs. That means if someone is shooting at you with a machine gun from a car and you blow them up with a rocket out of self defense, you pay the insurance fee for their car.

Aselith

If the car is saved and insured then you can get it back, but the person that blows it up pays the costs. That means if someone is shooting at you with a machine gun from a car and you blow them up with a rocket out of self defense, you pay the insurance fee for their car.

Oh yeah that's pretty lame

Gross. What a vapid, incohesive experience, and it's bringing in so much revenue, we're almost guaranteed to get more of this and less of what the series was based on.

This makes me sad because deep down I know it to be true.

We'll never get a proper single player sequel to vice city :(

Aselith

Gross. What a vapid, incohesive experience, and it's bringing in so much revenue, we're almost guaranteed to get more of this and less of what the series was based on.

People barely cared about the story content in GTA before GTAO. For most people, it's about going around the city and screwing with stuff and doing hold outs against the police.

crazy, they've had a title released every year between 2001-2013. 2015 brought the next-gen release of GTAV, which was clearly a lot of work, but they haven't released a new title in 3+ years. I know they've had regular updates for GTA Online, but that requires a small fraction of the team that built GTAV from scratch, so what is 90% of R* North working on? what are they waiting for? its really odd.

PureYeti

People barely cared about the story content in GTA before GTAO. For most people, it's about going around the city and screwing with stuff and doing hold outs against the police.

I love the single player but yea I thought it was mostly this. Just messing around in the city.

Jesus Christ and that's this year alone.

Explains why nothing has come out of Rockstar for years now. They don't need to release anything else

Arttemis

only have fun the way I want you to have fun
Pathetically inaccurate assessment. That's literally not what I said. Lamenting 'more of that and less of what made the series' does not mean 'remove GTO because I don't like it so no one should.'

I'd love to see more elaborate heists and single player content (or even allow the GTO content within the offline campaign), but the OT is precisely the reason we haven't and won't. Microtransactions-based design killed a potential fantastic expansion.

Top Bottom