• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Net Revenues from GTA products exceeded $700 million over the past 12 months

Permanently A

But why? That didn't matter for GTA V

They saw just how much of a cash cow GTAO was and decided to make it the focus of RDR3.

Red Dead Racketeering

A Seamless Online Multiplayer Experience from Rockstar

they'll release a small single player DLC after people complain

The Argus

But why? That didn't matter for GTA V

Really? Having another big multiplayer experience would be huge. It's just different enough to allow for players to participate in both while sharing the same Social Club Shark cash/card world. I'd be surprised if R* announces that your Shark Card balance isn't available in RDR3. They built the Social Club to a reason.

Of course their next game will have a huge single player aspect. The Houser Brothers are all about campaign story and experience. But offering the game along with all that they learned from GTA V/IV/Redemption/Max Payne 3 online modes only guarantees longevity.

Bootsy

There are a lot of people freaking out about all this revenue coming from GTAO microtransactions but isn't this game consistently towards the top of the NPD and often in the Steam top 10 (sale or no sale)? A good chunk of that revenue is probably from actual game sales to people that may not even touch the online portion.

That wouldn't explain the ramp up in revenue but unless there was a recent increase in GTAO updates then the same holds there.

Simo

I mean kudos to them! With GTAV and online bringing in the cheddar it allows Rockstar to hunker down and develop future titles with as much time as they need without really having to make a peep. Red Dead or whatever they've been working on has been in development for 4 years now and they even opened up a new branch this year in India.

I still wonder if we'll hear something about Red Dead before the end of the month just because it's Take Twos next investors call and right now the company as a whole has absolutely nothing slated for fiscal Q4 2017. Twice now they've commented about Rockstar set to reveal their new projects "soon". For reference GTAV when it was revealed in October 2011 was a few days before T2's investors call.

Kysuke

J0Sb8yR.gif

Can't take my eyes off...

Wheatly

Really? Having another big multiplayer experience would be huge. It's just different enough to allow for players to participate in both while sharing the same Social Club Shark cash/card world. I'd be surprised if R* announces that your Shark Card balance isn't available in RDR3. They built the Social Club to a reason.

Of course their next game will have a huge single player aspect. The Houser Brothers are all about campaign story and experience. But offering the game along with all that they learned from GTA V/IV/Redemption/Max Payne 3 online modes only guarantees longevity.

You miss my point

Man, all those money but Rockstar still makes one game per three years. I'm not sure if they know market very well or they're just lazy.

Yes, I also wish that they pumped out generic sequels year after year like COD because people would buy them anyway. Who cares about quality, quantity is where it's at!

Jumeira

Banned
Gross. What a vapid, incohesive experience, and it's bringing in so much revenue, we're almost guaranteed to get more of this and less of what the series was based on.

This.

Doubt it, GTA5 is the greatest and most detailed open world game made, R* made a killing from the single player initially, they're not going to turn thier back on that. Large amount bought it for single player.

The game still retails at full price, it's consistently in the charts, I just bought it again 2 weeks ago and I'm blown away at how much they changed for next gen versions. And they continue to update MP for free, these guys should be applauded for all the work gone into this game, I'm extremely happy for them.

Aceofspades

Banned
GTAV has to be the biggest entertainment money maker ever released.

It debuted higher than biggest Hollywood blockbusters, and still made 700m 3 years later.

Damn! Well deserved.

Who is this benz guy which people are talking about

He was a designer/producer at R* since it's inception basically and has been an integral cog in building GTA and its worlds.
Also according to some rumours he was a major driving force in making Read Dead Redemption actually come together as it was a dumpster truck on fire until he came onto the project.

He left R* a few years ago over disputes of $150m in unpaid royalties.

Fezan

OléGunner;219113075 said:
He was a designer/producer at R* since it's inception basically and has been an integral cog in building GTA and its worlds.
Also according to some rumours he was a major driving force in making Read Dead Redemption actually come together as it was a dumpster truck on fire until he came onto the project.

He left R* a few years ago over disputes of $150m in unpaid royalties.

Thanks.

Who is this benz guy which people are talking about
Leslie Benzies. He ran Rockstar North from the time of GTA 3 onwards. So basically, before he got there they were making top down games, and then he came along and they became world beaters.

He was also brought in to get RDR and L.A. Noire back on track after both of those games were in development hell, and both of them turned out surprisingly awesome. Maybe it's all a coincidence... or maybe he was just really good at his job. Which he was fired from, sadly.

Psoelberg

I still wonder if we'll hear something about Red Dead before the end of the month just because it's Take Twos next investors call and right now the company as a whole has absolutely nothing slated for fiscal Q4 2017. Twice now they've commented about Rockstar set to reveal their new projects "soon". For reference GTAV when it was revealed in October 2011 was a few days before T2's investors call.

Do we know when Take Twos next investors call is? Ain't they usually around end October / beginning of november?

That makes me really sad to be honest. The heists were great but they really lost me after they just kept putting out vehicles. Honestly they really don't even add anything substantial or interesting since the vehicles still have overall speed caps and such high tied to relative values.

I wanted more co-op content and maybe a new single player side story.

Obviously this pays more and people eat it up.

Amazing considering that online wasn't added until a month post launch and didn't work, like legitimately did not function even the littlest bit for another month on top of that to the point where every player who had account or character for that period was given a million in game dollar s for free.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
GTA VI is going to be huge, isn't it?

Remember trying to find a piece of GTA V PS4 (!!) on launch... It was absolutely impossible. Sold out everywhere. I could not believe it to be possible in the internet age.

And yet GTA 5 online is still extremely buggy, boring and flawed. A real shame.

I don't mind it existing and making stupid money as long as GTA6 still has a traditional single player though.

Rockstar are still the best in the world at what they do in that aspect.

120v

i wonder if it'd make sense to make standalone GTA online games going forward.

that plus an offline game's revenue could bring in insane numbers. but then again a lot of people would've never bothered with GTA online if it wasn't attached to GTAV, i'm guessing

noface

Messing around with the world and the pedestrians is hugely rewarding, granted of course you have a single iota of creativity and I'm going to go ahead and assume you don't because you think the only "worth while" part of GTA5 is the part where you mindlessly follow waypoints and are unable to do absolutely anything that the game doesn't explicitly tell you to.

Stopped reading after this part. If you want people to take you serious stop with the condescending attitude. I am level 120+ in gta online, own every single worthwile vehicle and can't touch it anymore because it bores me to death. So... you want to tell me I am creativley bankrupt? It is more like I have the attention span of an adult and can't be entertained for years by the hollow animations of some nameless pedestrians in an open world game. If you can have fun while hearing the same shit over and over again or hanging in the clouds because of the atrocious loading times...more power to you.

Lakitu

st5fu
I found GTA Online extremely boring but it seems lots of people are enjoying it. Seems to be a lot better for instance if you're playing and fucking around with friends.

I just want a new single-player experience from Rockstar. They are definitely being missed this gen.

Lego Boss

Thats when I stop playing grans theft auto. Or at least not buying it used.

I think the Housers admire the big Hollywood narratives to omit the story. I know money talks, but the story has always been at the heart of the GTA series. I can't see how they can get the lore right without having great characters and arcs to back it up,

Having said that, I don't see GTA VI for maybe five years.

I can honestly see them releasing a standalone sandbox GTA with no story.
This is just my opinion, but I don't think a company looks at the truckloads of money they made with GTA V, and then thinks "hey, let's make a massive and fundamental change with our next game, that might be a good idea." I think they look at their success and think "we're on the right track here, let's keep doing what we're doing."

That makes me really sad to be honest. The heists were great but they really lost me after they just kept putting out vehicles. Honestly they really don't even add anything substantial or interesting since the vehicles still have overall speed caps and such high tied to relative values.

I wanted more co-op content and maybe a new single player side story.
For co-op content they added the Lamar Lowriders missions, which were basically SP quality missions (with respect to design, cut scenes, etc.) that you could play co-op.

On top of that, they've added freeroam lobby events, stunt racing, the VIP/CEO systems and missions, new game modes, offices, warehouses, super yachts, and now motorcycle clubs. That's all post-Heists, which was a massive update itself. I honestly can't think of a single game which has changed as dramatically (and consistently) post-launch as GTA Online has. I think you're being very harsh!

noface

This is just my opinion, but I don't think a company looks at the truckloads of money they made with GTA V, and then thinks "hey, let's make a massive and fundamental change with our next game, that might be a good idea." I think they look at their success and think "we're on the right track here, let's keep doing what we're doing."

For co-op content they added the Lamar Lowriders missions, which were basically SP quality missions (with respect to design, cut scenes, etc.) that you could play co-op.

On top of that, they've added freeroam lobby events, stunt racing, the VIP/CEO systems and missions, new game modes, offices, warehouses, super yachts, and now motorcycle clubs. That's all post-Heists, which was a massive update itself. I honestly can't think of a single game which has changed as dramatically (and consistently) post-launch as GTA Online has. I think you're being very harsh!

let me introduce you to war thunder and warframe. co-incidentally two f2p games, just like gta onli...wait...:(

Kill3r7

There are a lot of people freaking out about all this revenue coming from GTAO microtransactions but isn't this game consistently towards the top of the NPD and often in the Steam top 10 (sale or no sale)? A good chunk of that revenue is probably from actual game sales to people that may not even touch the online portion.

That wouldn't explain the ramp up in revenue but unless there was a recent increase in GTAO updates then the same holds there.

The game is still selling very well but The bulk of the revenue at this point comes from GTAO.

Triteon

I think alot of people who are down on GTA Online either just dont play multiplayer and are afraid of losing single player or they tried it years ago, possibly on last gen.

Its improved so much, obviously heists are fantastic but low riders and cunning stunts were also fantastic but really its the freeroam additions brought huge a huge amount life to just running round.

While i do think there will be a single player GTA, GTA online will be a focus going forward. Its too successful not to.

But is online seperate? Does the next online intergrate with current online? Do they risk losing this lightning in a bottle by starting from scratch?

I cant imagine them releasing a single player only game and i think the gaming public would eviscerate them without as fully featured an online mode as GTAV. They could probably get away with doubling down on online as a stand alone but would have to be clear with marketing that a single player entry was on the way.

So what do they do? Its a great problem to have but its still a problem.

I wouldn't mind R* apply what worked for GTA Online to a future Red Dead Redemption multiplayer. Give me an expansive open world to fuck around in and get into shootouts with other players.

Simo

Do we know when Take Twos next investors call is? Ain't they usually around end October / beginning of november?

Just to go back to this but it's now confirmed the investors call will be on November 2nd at 4:30pm.

Coincidentally back in 2011 Rockstar revealed GTAV on October 25th with a teaser image and 1 week later on November 2nd the first trailer dropped ahead of the investors call on November 8th.

So something to chew on and likely a last possible chance this year of them announcing any new title.

Anth0ny

... It's gonna be another 5 years until GTA 6, isn't it?

5 year cycle has been treating GTA real good. An announcement of 6 next year and release in 2018 would be sweet... but god damn GTA V keeps printing money, so I wonder how much of a concern GTA 6 even is for them at this point.

Do you strike while the iron is hot? Or just... wait until the iron cools down to heat it up again?

Top Bottom