• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 details from Interview ; Saving System, Escape. Immersion, & Pursuit

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
A slew of new details on Resident Evil 7 come from yugatech, who were invited for an interview on the game at DataBlitz. This news floated around for a half a week, so sorry if old but I couldn't find anything on it, even in the Resident Evil community topic.

photo.jpg

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo9UzMWV_Ro

Key details from the interview:
-The focus of RE7 is on the keywords, "escape, immersion & pursuit." Your goal is to survive the terrors, you can defeat them and sometimes you'll find yourself in a tight situation, but being able to utilize your limited arsenal and either fight or flee is important.

-Here is what Capcom thinks makes a good classic Resident Evil game (as well as notes from the interviewer):
*Fear of the Unknown – Not knowing what lies behind every door. Not understanding what is happening.
*Exploration – There will be puzzles and a lot of spaces and rooms to explore. (More on this later)
*Combat – And yes, they’ve eased our biggest fear, there will be combat. They’ve even emphasized that it is core to the Resident Evil feeling as it gives you the release of tension that you need by finding a shotgun and fighting back.
*Managing Survival (Item Management) – Item Boxes! They didn’t confirm it exactly, but the presentation slide showed that to be exact. More on this below, but basically, they mentioned that you had to manage what you will be bringing to progress the game as it adds another layer to survival horror.

-Mercenaries specifically or any other online mode is not in RE7, it is exclusively a single-player game, but there are other unlockables we know (the one confirmed at this time is Madhouse Mode).
-While there is no situations where you face hordes of enemies at once, there will be scenes where you're faced with more than one enemy at a time.
-Main inspiration for RE7 is the original RE1, not the REmake. They looked and broke it down a lot when working on RE7.
-They're waiting to see how first-person works with fans for RE7 before they consider it as a possibility for future titles, but they think first-person really fits RE7 and they chose to go in this direction for the project goals.
-The game is linear and is not split into chapters like the more recent RE games, the progression is fluid.
-The game's saving system changes based on what difficulty you're playing on. Some difficulties have an auto-save system, and harder difficulty's saving system "won't be nice to you."
-One key element for RE7 is that it is a RE game, and they think this helps a lot to separate it from other first-person horrors. the game is set after RE6 and pulls a lot from the series history and mechanics, lore and and what's built-up RE's name in the last 20 years. This is the 20th anniversary celebration title, and it is a RE game through and through.
-RE7 does continue plot elements from other RE games, but they won't talk about that right now.
-There will be a third and final demo update sometime before RE7 releases, there is no firm release date but it'll happen before the end of January. It will also be coming to other platforms.
-REmake 2 is under extensive development right now, but they hope to show something from it soon.
-When asked about Outbreak HD, they say that Outbreak was a huge undertaking at the time for them, but they are listening to fans and if there's a demand for Outbreak HD or a successor to it, they're all ears.

Source

UPDATE: Someone sent me some clarifications having seen the topic:

They were influenced by RE1 over REmake because REmake is well a REmake. It's retreading old grounds and improving upon the formula. Where RE1 was breaking new grounds...So that's why RE1 was the choice.

They also mentioned in another interview specifically that the item boxes are in fact shared but I guess we could have assumed that.

When they said linear some people in that thread are taking it the wrong way. They meant linear in terms of story, it's not an open world type story deal. There's hub locations and multiple paths but it's a linear story A->B.

Really happy to hear that there will be difficulty settings for the game, and that auto-saving will be a thing on lower options.

Jawmuncher

When asked about Outbreak HD, they say that Outbreak was a huge undertaking at the time for them, but they are listening to fans and if there's a demand for Outbreak HD or a successor to it, they're all ears.

That's some bullshit. Fans have been begging for that for ages. When you fans go so far that they reverse engineer japanese internet code to get the games working again. There's obviously demand.

-----

As for RE7 seems about what we expected for info. Nothing really huge from this, but small confirmed tidbits that we pieced together already. Still nice to know that this is RE7 not RE reboot. So if you're into lore like me, you'll get something out of this regardless. All the RE games still exist and will even be mentioned or apply to this games story. Which to me is really cool. Whether you like horror action or anything else when it comes to RE. All of the games good or bad in your opinion is what got the series to where it is today.

KDC720

Sounding better with each interview as always.

I wonder why they chose to go with RE1 for inspiration rather than REmake. REmake imo is pretty much superior to the original in every way.

Also Outbreak 3 or HD collection please.

Jawmuncher

I have no idea what this means.

The original RE1 is quite different from REmake.
If anything, he's more than likely saying that the RE series at it's most basic core would be the RE1 game. So makes sense to use that instead of REmake. Since the formula was created with RE1.

randomwab

Wasn't Outbreak HD the most requested game over on the Capcom Community boards for a long time? Come on, son!

Also, RE1 over REmake for inspiration is an interesting point. Hell, RE1 was completely overwritten by REmake when they talked about the games for years. And REmake is almost universally seen as the pinnacle of the entire genre from a gameplay perspective; it's just a much more polished and refined version of 1. I'm really intrigued by them saying this.

-Main inspiration for RE7 is the original RE1, not the REmake. They looked and broke it down a lot when working on RE7.

Interesting distinction there

-The game's saving system changes based on what difficulty you're playing on. Some difficulties have an auto-save system, and harder difficulty's saving system "won't be nice to you."

I'm taking this as checkpoints on easier settings, restart from typewriter on moderate, and limited or no saving on Madhouse

-REmake 2 is under extensive development right now, but they hope to show something from it soon.

~yay~

-When asked about Outbreak HD, they say that Outbreak was a huge undertaking at the time for them, but they are listening to fans and if there's a demand for Outbreak HD or a successor to it, they're all ears.

neat

Neiteio

What kind of inspiration do you think they'd pull from the original RE1 but not the remake?

RE7 sounds good for what it is, but it's sad to think of a new RE without Mercs or Raid. Time to give us a game that features both and every character and locale from series history!

Lucent

It says the 3rd demo will release before RE7. But RE7 is out on the 24th right? So before end of January doesn't make much sense. Before the 24th would.

Hellraider

The original RE1 is quite different from REmake.
If anything, he's more than likely saying that the RE series at it's most basic core would be the RE1 game. So makes sense to use that instead of REmake. Since the formula was created with RE1.

Can I get some examples or just the general direction idea that you guys think it impies by this comment? Haven't played the original resident evil and have no idea what remake changed instead of polishing.

Dusk Golem

I have no idea what this means.

To be honest I don't fully know what it means either, but they very clearly stated the biggest inspiration for RE7 was RE1, but specified the original RE1 and not the REmake.

Given the recent screenshots from Famitsu did have rooms that were very similar in color scheme to RE1 as opposed to REmake.

It says the 3rd demo will release before RE7. But RE7 is out on the 24th right? So before end of January doesn't make much sense. Before the 24th would.

The exact quote just says the demo will release before RE7 but with no specific date, and on other platforms too. I just added before the end of January since that's when RE7 releases.

DVCY201

What kind of inspiration do you think they'd pull from the original RE1 but not the remake?

RE7 sounds good for what it is, but it's sad to think of a new RE without Mercs or Raid. Time to give us a game that features both and every character and locale from series history!

Jill Sandwiches

Can I get some examples or just the general direction idea that you guys think it impies by this comment? Haven't played the original resident evil and have no idea what remake changed instead of polishing.

I guess technically RE1 was more groundbreaking for the time, and the devs had to be creative to make what was a new type of game in 3d (what is Alone in the Dark I've never heard). So maybe they want to get into the OG developers heads and channel some of their thought processes for RE7

Lothar

Banned
Not sure what it means that they're following RE1 instead of REmake, but RE1 was the game that made me fall in love with horror games so sounds good to me. I do think the music of RE1 is a lot better than REMake. I guess maybe also the look of the mansion felt a bit more real in the original, while REmake is like a haunted house. Maybe they're referring to something like that.

Rembrandt

Banned
When asked about Outbreak HD, they say that Outbreak was a huge undertaking at the time for them, but they are listening to fans and if there's a demand for Outbreak HD or a successor to it, they're all ears.

the most important news.

Sesha

Regarding the Outbreak HD quote. I read that as less "if fans want Outbreak HD, then they need to demand it (more)" and more "if there is demand for Outbreak HD, then we will listen".

Interesting.

-They're waiting to see how first-person works with fans for RE7 before they consider it as a possibility for future titles, but they think first-person really fits RE7 and they chose to go in this direction for the project goals.

Good news for those skeptical about first person.

-The game is linear and is not split into chapters like the more recent RE games, the progression is fluid.

You mean nonlinear, right?

Edit: I read the transcript. Their explanation was a bit confusing in regards to the wording.

The more we learn about this game the more I see it as a sort of more modern reimagining of RE1, right down to the gameplay.

Can't wait.

Javin98

Banned
I hope that even if the typewriter is back, ink ribbons won't be very limited. I ran out of ink ribbons after defeating Plant 42 in REmake. :(

Jawmuncher

Regarding the Outbreak HD quote. I read that as less "if fans want Outbreak HD, then they need to demand it (more)" and more "if there is demand for Outbreak HD, then we are listening".

Interesting.

Good news for those skeptical about first person.

You mean nonlinear, right?

The more we learn about this game the more I see it as a sort of more modern reimagining of RE1, right down to the gameplay.

Can't wait.

I don't know what more outbreak fans can do. They've literally recreated the Japanese servers and had the biggest thread and community on capcom unity for a long while.

gelf

For what RE1 did different from Remake. All I can think of is that RE1 had a more complex system for plot branches. REmake made it binary yes/no. No idea if that's what they would be referring to though.

This all sounds good to this fan of classic Resi.

Baha

Hope they take all the time they can get developing REmake 2, I'm hoping they can port over the unlockable modes (4th survivor, Tofu, Extreme Battle) while making improvements to the core game and puzzles.

I hope first person isn't going to stick after re7. Just about every horror game is first person, I want to see third person horror make a comeback.

Sesha

I don't know what more outbreak fans can do. They've literally recreated the Japanese servers and had the biggest thread and community on capcom unity for a long while.

Like I said, I don't think they mean that fans should do more, but that they will listen if (a hypothetical if, not conditional) there is demand. I think Kawata answered the way he did because he didn't want to or couldn't commit to a more definitive answer in either direction.

No multiplayer.

Thank the gaming gods.

There are too many multiplayer games as it is. Leave Outbreak HD in the dirt where it belongs. Don't spend any precious dev time on that shit.

We could have Resident Evil 8 or some multiplayer piece of shit. Ugh, go play DayZ or something.

All of this sounds good. Although I do hope no Mercenaries mode means that they're working on a stand alone title based on that. Outbreak HD also needs to happen.

I'm hoping 7 turns out well and will be excited if it's a success but I'm fiending hard for those REmake 2 details. It seems like forever since I've heard anything about it. So glad that project isn't dead in the water.

Plasma

Banned
*Combat – And yes, they’ve eased our biggest fear, there will be combat. They’ve even emphasized that it is core to the Resident Evil feeling as it gives you the release of tension that you need by finding a shotgun and fighting back.
Rather than reassure this makes me worried, it sounds like the weapons are there to keep the enemies at bay rather than actually kill them. Hope I'm wrong it would be nice if this game did hearken back to the old games.

I'd absolutely buy Outbreak HD as well if they fixed the two biggest problems in that game (load times and communicating with other players).

saher

Banned
They seem to be on the right track but i didnt really enjoy the demo or the lantern gameplay so im not really sure will this game turn out.

Dusk Golem

Rather than reassure this makes me worried, it sounds like the weapons are there to keep the enemies at bay rather than actually kill them. Hope I'm wrong it would be nice if this game did hearken back to the old games.

I'd absolutely buy Outbreak HD as well if they fixed the two biggest problems in that game (load times and communicating with other players).

This is just my guesswork at play with paying attention, but I'd fathom a guess enemies can be defeated for an 'area', but can be resurrected from the dead and mutate further at a later point. I doubt the Baker Family is going to stay humanoid the whole game, there is a hint they have rejuvenation abilities, and due to the game having confirmed via ERSB things like a chainsaw and flamethrower in the arsenal, I'm taking it they might be able to grow back limbs, but it has been confirmed enemies can be defeated and killed as well, so my assumption works that it might be a situation you can defeat them for the area but they'll be back later in the game. Maybe might go the Nemesis system where defeating them gives you something as a bonus, but maybe might also go the Crimson Head route where defeating them this time makes them a more mutated threat next time.

The end of that is far more my thinking outloud than the beginning, but due to the newest trailer hinting they can rejuvenate, the fact this game has a "smaller, more personal selection of enemies", and with weapons like chainsaw and flamethrower as options, I'm taking it they can rejuvinate and we may get into some real body horror during the game, but I also know its been confirmed you can take out your foes instead of just, "they won't die no matter how much I shoot them" syndrome.

Shredderi

Yeah yeah yeah it has this and that how about you just show a video of those things instead of always mentioning how they are in and then opt to show things that they themselves categorize as "not representive of the final gameplay".

Jawmuncher

No multiplayer.

Thank the gaming gods.

There are too many multiplayer games as it is. Leave Outbreak HD in the dirt where it belongs. Don't spend any precious dev time on that shit.

We could have Resident Evil 8 or some multiplayer piece of shit. Ugh, go play DayZ or something.

The series is going to have mp in other titles. Capcom might not be doing mp for 7. But it'll be coming back.

Also geez, getting bent out of shape over nothing.

Both the ESRB Ratings leak & the TGS interview spelt out that there will be enemies we can kill during the game. In fact, this interview you're replying to tells us that combat is a form of catharsis for tension, at least in their eyes. Fighting enemies you cannot kill would just reinforce tension, not relieve it.

The fact that they are inspired by RE1 so heavily should pretty much lay all these combat concerns to rest.
Yeah yeah yeah it has this and that how about you just show a video of those things instead of always mentioning how they are in and then opt to show things that they themselves categorize as "not representive of the final gameplay".

One of the big things they say that they want to set up, particularly in this game, is an air of mystery. They've said it since the game was announced, and they reinforce that intention in this very interview. One of the quotes in this interview is specifically "You didn't really know what you are fighting". Capcom has not wanted to spell out a whole lot of where we'll be and what we'll be dealing with throughout this game, and its for a reason. Even in these interviews, they just allude to what will be in the game, not spell it out specifically. We have several leaks that have corroborated what the devs are saying here. I understand people want to be concerned about the game's new direction, but there really isn't any reason to.

Jawmuncher

Both the ESRB Ratings leak & the TGS interview spelt out that there will be enemies we can kill during the game. In fact, this interview you're replying to tells us that combat is a form of catharsis for tension, at least in their eyes. Fighting enemies you cannot kill would just reinforce tension, not relieve it.

The fact that they are inspired by RE1 so heavily should pretty much lay all these combat concerns to rest.

I mean not if you actually want to see it

mattp

I guess maybe also the look of the mansion felt a bit more real in the original, while REmake is like a haunted house. Maybe they're referring to something like that.

thats what im hoping they mean
i love REmake, but it did miss some of the stuff that made re1 great(while improving on other parts, so its sitll a great game on its own)
remake was totally a spooky horror house vibe, instead of a real location

I mean not if you actually want to see it

As Capcom has explicitly stated in the past, they are trying to maintain a mystery as to what the game is and what is going on, and all of their PR actions have reinforced this. What they've wanted to chiefly showcase has been the two core pillars that they felt the franchise had been neglecting in recent entries. They're looking to go into their launch with as much under wraps as possible. I understand that is frustrating for many, but it is what it is.

Top Bottom