• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 PC performance thread

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

(Click for general game info.)

System requirements:
dishonored2sysreqsb3s3e.jpg

Latest drivers: (as at 21/12/2017)
Nvidia: 388.71
AMD: 17.12.2
Intel: Depends on your processor; download the driver update utility

Benchmarks:
GameGPU (Russian; launch build)
GameStar (German; 17/11/2016 betapatch build)
Guru3D (English; launch build)
TechPowerUp (English; launch build)

Tips and tricks:
PC performance guide (PC Gamer): See this article. (Credit to PC Gamer itself via BraXzy.)
Cap the framerate/potentially improve frametimes: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server, input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit enter (the program comes bundled with MSI Afterburner and earlier versions of EVGA PrecisionX). Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU have the option of Nvidia Inspector, which can also be used to impose a framerate cap, either in a similar manner to RTSS or by way of forcing a different vsync interval (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if you your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frametimes. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower framerate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Stop the game from crashing after 15 minutes on touch-capable systems running Windows 10: Open the task manager, switch to the Services tab and disable TabletInputService.
Skip intro videos: Use the launch command +com_showLoadingScreen 0. To set the command, right-click Dishonored 2 in your library -> select "Properties" -> click "Set launch options" and input +com_showLoadingScreen 0 into the field.
Potentially improve performance: Try one or more of the various suggestions mentioned here. (Credit to people @ Reddit via Dmax3901.)
Enable free-form camera: See this post.
Mitigate stuttering: Experiment with the in-game vsync and/or framerate limit options in lieu of external solutions. (Credit to CHC and Paragon.)

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to mention my username as this way the post will appear among the results when I search for my username after an absence. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

Graphics settings:

Screen resolution: Self-explanatory
Display mode: Windowed mode; Fullscreen; Borderless fullscreen
Brightness: Self-explanatory
Field of view: 65 -> 110 in increments of 1

Presets: Very low; Low; Medium; High; Very high; Ultra
Texture detail: Very low; Low; Medium; High; Very high; Ultra
Character detail: Very low; Low; Medium; High; Very high; Ultra
Water quality: Very low; Low; Medium; High; Very high; Ultra
Environment detail: Very low; Low; Medium; High; Very high; Ultra
Shadow quality: Very low; Low; Medium; High; Very high; Ultra
Decal quality: Very low; Low; Medium; High; Very high; Ultra
Post-process anti-aliasing: Off; FXAA low; FXAA high; TXAA 1x
TXAA sharpness: 1 -> 20 in increments of 1
Bloom: No/Yes

Camera motion blur: No/Yes
Depth of field: No/Yes
Lens flare: No/Yes
Volumetric lighting: No/Yes
Light shafts: No/Yes
Rat shadows: No/Yes
Bloodfly shadows: No/Yes

V-sync: Off; On; Half
Adaptive resolution: Off; Vsync-based; Manual; Always
Adaptive resolution FPS target: 29 -> 60 in increments of 1
Adaptive resolution quality: Quality; Balanced; Performance
FPS limiter: 30 -> 120 in increments of 15
Triple buffering: Off/On
Nvidia HBAO+: No/Yes

JaseC

To unlock the game early:

Yes. It unlocks in AU, NZ and Asia in [now].

Steps, for those unfamiliar:

1) Log out of the Steam mobile app and change your password via the the desktop client
1) Download and install FlyVPN (20-minute session limit) TunnelBear (500MB data limit), VPN Gate (no hard limits) or VyprVPN (500MB bandwidth limit).
3) Connect to a server in Australia, New Zealand or Asia
4) Restart Steam (if you're logged in)
5) Unlock the game
6, optional) Switch to Offline Mode to preserve the "Play" button as it will revert back to "Pre-load" once you're no longer connected to the VPN (even if you disconnect mid-game, you won't be booted out)

VPN Gate is preferable.

Edit: No longer required.

JaseC

Changing password on desktop after logging out of mobile wants you to give a passcode they send to mobile, at least for me.

Yeah, but the Steam app doesn't require a login to spit out authentication codes; you get them even when logged out, and they're valid.

Aside: The GFX settings are underway.

Edit: Done.

d00d3n

NM, was my mistake, my desktop resolution was set to 60 after switching displays. The game seems to use an unlocked frame rate.

Tovarisc

Rig;
i5 6600K @ 4.2
16GB
980Ti

What was ran: Tutorial

In-game settings; 1080p, adaptive resolution at 100, Vsyn off, HBAO + On, Very High across the board and TXAA x1

Not once I noticed FPS going below 100. GPU never went below 99% and CPU was all over the place, but always <50%.

Game has one intense main menu when it comes to HW usage.

Corpekata

Banned
Running great so far on a 1080/ 6700k on Ultra w/ TXAA Adaptive Res 100 at 1440p. Though I suppose that is to be expected. Only played a little bit though.

Game really needs a skip intro command if there is one.

Also I don't know why they default the mouse sensitivity so low. IIRC this was an issue with Dishonored too. No idea who could play with it like that.

Mifec

If you quickload and notice worse FPS, quickload again right away and it fixes it.

It's a bug apparently

Not very helpful for me if I'm seeing results from some of the best gaming rigs :p Of course this game isn't going to tax them. I've got a laptop with a GTX 970M, so will see how it runs on launch.

thrilled, but i think that this game REALLY needs some optimization..
gtx1080 unable to run 100fps rock-solid on 1440p is REALLY underwhelming..
i imagine that my 970 will fare a LOT worse..

Tovarisc

very high or ultra? can you try it on ultra?

Ran tutorial with otherwise same settings, but all possible toggles from very high to ultra. Most noticeable difference was in CPU usage and slightly lower FPS during tutorial segment. Will start playing actual game and it's where possible performance hogs surface at the end.

NIN90

What VPN are people using to unlock early? I've done this a few times in my time but over the years most of them stopped working for Steam at some point and I haven't done this in a while.

Tovarisc

What VPN are people using to unlock early? I've done this a few times in my time but over the years most of them stopped working for Steam at some point and I haven't done this in a while.

I used FlyVPN, Melbourne server. You can disconnect VPN once game is in main menu.

this is without the day 1 patch and new card drivers though, right? so performance will only improve

Drivers for NV is already out, been for a week. Also afaik day 1 patch was baked into preload.

Regginator

I'm an idiot so I'm probably doing this wrong, but how does one use that VPN Gate? I've made a new "virtual network adapter" with the name VPN2, but my IP address is still the same. (Or doesn't it work like that?)

screenshot_2v4qrb.png

Tovarisc

I'm an idiot so I'm probably doing this wrong, but how does one use that VPN Gate? I've made a new "virtual network adapter" with the name VPN2, but my IP address is still the same. (Or doesn't it work like that?)

screenshot_2v4qrb.png

Double click on "VPN Gate Public VPN Relay Servers". If I remember right that should open window that lists all available VPN locations, listed by country.

Man first game had such excellent level design , so far I'm just surrounded by a million enemies with no powers, with enemies that have super vision

CHC

29 minutes to unpack.... jeez. Either way, I'm looking forward to playing this today, especially in light of how shitty I feel about the election and how shitty the weather is outside. It's a nice surprise that it's available so early via VPN, I expected to be playing it tomorrow night.

Akronis

Can ppl with 1080/Titan X Pascal please stop with: "Runs great for me."

lol

Uhhh that's usually a huge indication of performance issues if it doesn't run well on the highest end cards.

EDIT: this isn't always the case, depending on the game. Flipping it to the highest settings and complaining it runs like shit even on high end equipment doesn't mean it's unoptimized. It's very difficult to tell what the game is doing to justify the performance.

AEdouard

''thrilled, but i think that this game REALLY needs some optimization..
gtx1080 unable to run 100fps rock-solid on 1440p is REALLY underwhelming..
i imagine that my 970 will fare a LOT worse..''

What? Fluctuating around 100 fps at 1440p on a 1080 for a modern recent game is not underwhelming. The 1080 is more powerful than a 980ti, but it's not enormously more powerful. What were you expecting exactly? And of course your 970 will fare worse. You weren't expecting 100 fps+ on a freaking 970 too were you? This isn't Counterstrike.

Corpekata

Banned
Is Fullscreen actually working for anyone? It seems like it's borderless even if it's set to FS.

I tried to changing to Borderless and back and now it won't even let me pick FS again, always defaults back to borderless.

AEdouard

Hope it runs well. But just want to point out that it's great that they use adaptive resolution. Not common enough in PC games.

Got to the throne room where Dmax3901 reported huge FPS dips. There is something going on in that room as FPS does fluctuate quite a bit, but not as dramatically as he reported.

Intentonally not embedded;
https://abload.de/img/dishonored2_2016_11_0byswd.png
https://abload.de/img/dishonored2_2016_11_0eis4p.png

Engine can't handle all that alpha + shadows

Just look at the 2 scenes you posted. They are basically the same except one has more lights and plants everywhere.

CHC

Just played about 10 minutes.

i5-2500k
16 GB RAM
GTX 1070 G1

At 2560 x 1600 I get about 55 - 80 FPS on the first level. The game doesn't really look appreciably better than the first one at all though, which is too bad given how much worse it seems to run.

The mouse also feels wonky. There are options for smoothing, friction, and sensitivity, but I can't quite get the exact right feel at this point. The first game was soooooo silky feeling, and something is weird here. Feels like the mouse in Call of Duty games or Bioshock - I'm suspecting there is acceleration going on.

Top Bottom