• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 PC performance thread

Carlius

Banned
this is next gen? this is what we waited for? sigh...and now instead of improving on this we gonna go 4k and keep the same crap.

Nephix

Does the game support exclusive fullscreen? If it's just borderless, then you have to set your desktop refresh rate to 60hz for it to work.

There is also an NVIDIA 3D setting to force refresh rate to the highest possible. Change that to Fixed Refresh Rate if you can.

I made the mistake of changing to borderless windowed to try if that changed anything and now I'm stuck on it. Can't change back to fullscreen.

Man, fuck this game.

Tovarisc

I made the mistake of changing to borderless windowed to try if that changed anything and now I'm stuck on it. Can't change back to fullscreen.

Man, fuck this game.

You may need to VPN again, BUT go to C:\Users\<Insert_Username>\Saved Games\Arkane Studios\dishonored2\base and delete dishonored2Config.cfg. That should reset all settings and make game run on default ones.

That´s the Dishonored art style.
(I like it)

Trust me, all that aliasing and weirdly short rendering distance doesn't make it that pleasant to look at

Nephix

Might as well add that the game runs capped at 20 fps if I play with borderless windowed or windowed.

Seriously how can they fuck up the port this bad. Unbelievable.

You may need to VPN again, BUT go to C:\Users\<Insert_Username>\Saved Games\Arkane Studios\dishonored2\base and delete dishonored2Config.cfg. That should reset all settings and make game run on default ones.

I'll try that, thanks.

Edit: that worked perfectly so if anyone's having troubles with being unable to change settings, try the above.

There's no accounting for taste, but have you guys actually play the first Dishonoured? They didn't go for photo-realistic art style. I reckon they really expand it further in this game, with definitely more geometry. It's a shame you didn't see that.

Yes I have, on PS3 and PC. A game's visuals can be criticized regardless of whatever the art style is. I didn't even say anything bad about the graphics unless you consider "it doesn't look good enough to be giving performance problems to strong hardware" to be a negative statement. Especially in a world where Battlefield 1 looks better than every game and doesn't have performance issues (on PC)

NeoRaider

That´s the Dishonored art style.
(I like it)

I feel like they lost what made D1 look kinda special with this one. I just don't see anything that can wow me here. I can't say that the game is ugly but artistically it's FAR from D1.

leng jai

Not liking the impressions here so far. The PS4 Pro version for 60% off is looking pretty good right now, but that one will probably be gimped to 30fps even in Pro mode.

Wonder if it's worth the hassle on PC even on a 1070, the graphics don't even look that great to begin with.

Gitaroo

was hoping the 970 can max it out at 1080p 60fps for one more year before I upgrade... sigh.... the game is still OpenGL? If So triple buffer in the nv control panel can help smooth things out a lot.

CSJ

i7 4790k @ 4.8Ghz
16GB Mem
980ti
1440p

Even if I put the game down to minimum settings, it feels like I'm getting 30fps in certain areas when it reports 80+, I don't know how to explain it. Also the mouse movement is the worst I've experience in on a PC FPS in a long time, it's almost like acceleration or tied to fps, it's fucking horrible. In some directions it moves faster/slow than others, it's not linear.

I've spent 20minutes faffing about trying all sorts of settings so I'll read and see if there's a fix and keep it under 2 hours or I'll steam refund it.

renzolama

4790k /1060 @ 1080p / SSD / rtss framelimit @ 60

The auto-configuration put me at very high with all optional effects enabled. During the first big scene with a large room and many NPCs present I dropped from 60 down to low 40s, but dropping the preset from very high to high had no effect on FPS. After the scene plays out and you are given control of MC I went back to 60 and have been maintaining it through the first real gameplay area (haven't gotten to throne yet).

The TXAA implementation is very blurry; I hesitate to call it "bad" because I haven't done enough research on TXAA to know how much blurriness is expected, but it's very reminiscent of the blurriness in Mafia 3. Bumping back to FXAA sharpens up the image but seems to expose minor artifacting around some edges. I attempted to capture some images of the artifacting but it's not visible in still shots. It does seem like the problem with TXAA is also linked to some render distance issue, as though the aliasing is too strong within too short a radius of the player but looks okay further out at the same strength.

As someone who is very picky about input, mouse control seems fine to me with vsync both enabled and disabled. I haven't had control of input during a big frame drop area so that may change if vsync is enabled at the time. I have smoothing at 0 and friction off, and the mouse movement feels linear to me, but I'm a relatively low sensitivity FPSer so maybe I'm not seeing problems in acceleration etc.

Based on the fact that changing the preset didn't modify my framerate at all in the large area with many NPCs (and my GPU was pegged at 100% with vsync on in both presets) I suspect there might be problems with engine scaling in areas of complex/open geometry and/or when many entities are on-screen simultaneously. Subjectively, it's performing like more of a PC "port" than the original Dishonored did, in that it feels like some areas of the game may just not scale properly to 60fps on 970/1060 GPUs due to being designed against a 30fps target. I haven't played with the settings one by one though so it's entirely possible that there might be one or two that are causing issues rather than it being systemic.

Nephix

Not liking the impressions here so far. The PS4 Pro version for 60% off is looking pretty good right now, but that one will probably be gimped to 30fps even in Pro mode.

Wonder if it's worth the hassle on PC even on a 1070, the graphics don't even look that great to begin with.

I'm going to say no, it's not worth it until they fix all the issues. Or at the very least the godawful stuttering.

i7 4790k @ 4.8Ghz
16GB Mem
980ti
1440p

Even if I put the game down to minimum settings, it feels like I'm getting 30fps in certain areas when it reports 80+, I don't know how to explain it. Also the mouse movement is the worst I've experience in on a PC FPS in a long time, it's almost like acceleration or tied to fps, it's fucking horrible. In some directions it moves faster/slow than others, it's not linear.

I've spent 20minutes faffing about trying all sorts of settings so I'll read and see if there's a fix and keep it under 2 hours or I'll steam refund it.

Yeah and also if you enter certain rooms in the first level your mouse sens gets overridden to some incredibly low value for no reason whatsoever. This port, man.

i7 4790k @ 4.8Ghz
16GB Mem
980ti
1440p

Hey Dishonored 2 developers, ENABLE RAW INPUT IN YOUR GAME.

CHC

Hopefully a patch can address the mouse issues. They added stuff like FOV to Dishonored 1 via patches IIRC, so hopefully they'll be able to improve this.

I've got the game running at about 70+ Fps with the GTX1080 at 1440p. Game looks kind of aged but that's ok. Any ideas on how to fix the blurriness? I see frame-smoothing mentioned above, I'll give that a shot

EDIT: er, wait, that's talking about framerate limiting, huh? I already do that.

GavinUK86

Gameplay with GTX 1080 using ultra settings 1440p, getting mostly 70-100 fps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFpdC2z0t2w

Looks fantastic!

Excited to see it for myself. I have a 970 so I don't mind dropping the settings to get 60. If that's too hard then I'll lock it to 30 and max out everything. Anyone tried it at 1080p with a 970 yet?

I have to wait until tomorrow for my collector's edition.

I still think it's a shame they switched engines. The original could run 60fps on a toaster.

B_Signal

I've only played about 40-50 minutes. I've got a 970, playing at 1080, set to ultra and am getting over 40fps. I'm going to drop it down tomorrow night after work, but I think it looks great, can't say I've seen anything particularly broken so far but I am early in still

So, does that early PC performance report thread redeemed? Or should we keep laughing at AMD?

Doesnt seem that way, based on the steam forums, which is typical with PC performance threads but Im seeing way more complaints than appraisals. Seems if you're on high end you're good to go, but if you're on mid-high end with 970/1060 i52500k+ and whatnot, you're pretty much screwed. I'd be fine with a 30 fps lock maxed if it wasnt a first person game. Damn it 970... :(

Nephix

Still can't get my game to run at anything below 144hz even though I've set everything including Nvidia Control Panel to force 60hz.

Uuuuuuugh.

Edit: somehow managed to force 60hz but the stutter got even worse again. Howwwwwww

Hooks

GTX 780
i5 4690k
16gb ram

40-80 fps, So jarring when it dips down. Hopefully the day one patch and nvidia drivers can fix the inconsistency. I'll play it tomorrow when the updates are out I guess. I feel some areas dropped to 30. I mostly averaged 55-60 fps, But some areas it just hates it

Nephix

Wow the game randomly turns on vsync and lowers the adaptive resolution setting for me too, as if this shit couldn't get any worse.

Dmax3901

I'm looking around a lots so progress isn't fast, but landed to main areas of the game. Performance hit is real. First part of the game averaged around 90FPS on Ultra. Now in opening scene Ultra is <50FPS and even Very High is still <60FPS.

Ultra

Very High

Like earlier mentioned running 1080p, adaptive resolution at 100, HBAO+ On and rest either enabled or on mentioned setting. Textures on Ultra for now, shouldn't have performance hit?

Rig
i5 6600K @ 4,2
16GB
980Ti

Thanks for testing this Tovarisc, you getting performance makes sense given your specs compared to mine, but it's a shame to see the same issues that I was experiencing, and in the same areas too it seems.

Looking forward to hearing AMD users report back with the new drivers.

Moff

There does seem to be some sort of odd judder when moving the camera. It's better on controller, but not eliminated.

agree, tried it as well, it seems a bit better because the movement is slower

they definitely need to fix this, I can't enjoy it like that so I will stop playing until some smart dudes found a tweak or the developers fix it
game seems to be pretty cool, though. started as emily.

luckily tyranny is out tomorrow so I don't mind (although that probably needs patches as well, haha)

Port seems pretty borked. I know people get overzealous with calling PC ports bad but the performance is pretty random on all settings for no reason I can tell whether it be visuals or underlying systems. Plus settings that don't work/change themselves.

TheRed

Sad to hear this isn't turning out so well. The first Dishonored was a game I thought ran great on PC when I got it. I didn't expect this many problems from the sequel. Hopefully they get the issues fixed.

CHC

OK so regarding the mouse, NVidia FastSync + 60 FPS lock does wonders for the feel of it. It's perfectly tolerable right now. V-sync and plunging framerates seem to be the culprit here, as expected.

Akronis

Shitty framepacing is par for the course with idTech5. I could never get consistent frame times in Wolfenstein The New Order even with RTSS :/

Top Bottom