• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs 2 PS4 Pro - First Look/Analysis | Digital Foundry

Hoje0308

Banned
Will watch after I've read the summary. Thanks for the info, OP

Edit:
It's 1800p, it's checkerboarding, and in stress points it runs slower than the same game running on the standard PS4 :/ Tom and Rich discuss the look and feel of the game.

So as a 1080p screen only owner, looks like I've just spent £200 extra for a worse performing machine in some games. Will this list get bigger and bigger....I think it will :-(

Not fucking happy and was on Skyrim before and my rage meter is starting to rise ffs....

This running slower than base PS4 business is becoming bullshit. It looks incredbly bad for the Pro.

It is weird, something like this should run at 1800p on pro given that nothing else is being changed. There is nothing else in there that should stress the CPU, and the GPU should be enough to cover the jump...

Muffdraul

Slightly off topic: I've been replaying Watch Dogs 1 a lot lately just because I'm really looking forward to WD2 coming out. So, let's just say my eyes were very accustomed to looking at WD1 running on my old vanilla PS4 when I got my PS4 Pro last Friday. As soon as I started playing WD1 on the Pro via my trusty 46" Bravia, I could instantly tell the IQ was improved. Subtly, but noticeably.

can you run it in 1080p with improved IQ? can you choose to play the regular version? or prioritize framerate? I'm new to this ps4 pro stuff

LoveCake

DF saying that the frame-rate is better on the PS4 at 1080p then on the Pro at 1800p.

Also that if you only have a 1080p screen with a Pro you are locked to the sub-optimal performance of the Pro!

j-wood

As I just purchased a Pro...I really hope this is just on the developers shoving it in to get it for launch. Incredibly disappointing.

GlamFM

Banned
Slightly off topic: I've been replaying Watch Dogs 1 a lot lately just because I'm really looking forward to WD2 coming out. So, let's just say my eyes were very accustomed to looking at WD1 running on my old vanilla PS4 when I got my PS4 Pro last Friday. As soon as I started playing WD1 on the Pro via my trusty 46" Bravia, I could instantly tell the IQ was improved. Subtly, but noticeably.

How so? Was WD1 patched?

oh dude, watch dogs has a pro patch? sick.. love that game!

epmode

It is weird, something like this should run at 1800p on pro given that nothing else is being changed. There is nothing else in there that should stress the CPU, and the GPU should be enough to cover the jump...

Well yeah, but that's not how Sony is handling it. Even when you use the Pro on a 1080p television, it's still rendering the same thing you'd get on a 4K TV.

Sony needs to give us a method to intentionally ignore Pro patches.

I'm really regretting my purchase, BTW.

Hoje0308

Banned
This running slower than base PS4 business is becoming bullshit. It looks incredbly bad for the Pro.

A minority of games are affected and this is the first wave of games on new hardware. I don't think it's time to start sounding the alarm bells just yet.

Take a screen of the patch notes or I call bullshit.

Skux

Really not liking this apparent trend of running at a higher resolution (and still not native), resulting in a lower frame rate.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

WD1 doesn't have a PS Pro patch.

Muffdraul

How so? Was WD1 patched?

I don't know if it was patched, I was thinking it was just a result of the Pro's oversampled rendering or whatever. I think I read that it renders internally higher than 1080p, and then converts it. It just looked... I dunno. Smoother?

It definitely wasn't my imagination. In WD1 there were always these artifacts on certain seams, like the corners of buildings, or where the wall meets the floor. They looked like white pixels along the line of the seam. Those are gone.

Vinc

Well yeah, but that's not how Sony is handling it. Even when you use the Pro on a 1080p television, it's still rendering the same thing you'd get on a 4K TV.

If this becomes a trend, I'll be pretty furious. I shouldn't have bought it this early I guess.

Hoje0308

Banned
I don't know if it was patched, I was thinking it was just a result of the Pro's oversampled rendering or whatever. I think I read that it renders internally higher than 1080p, and then converts it. It just looked... I dunno. Smoother?

Games don't do anything with Pro's extra power unless patched. You're mistaken.

0racle

Wait, so as a pro owner I technically can't play the same ps4 version? I have no choice in getting the pro version with these issues ?

killroy87

A minority of games are affected and this is the first wave of games on new hardware. I don't think it's time to start sounding the alarm bells just yet.

1) First impressions matter a lot to set the tone.

2) News like that rises to the top. Media is a lot more likely to cover the games that don't work but should than they are to cover the boring games that are doing their job. I'ts simply more interesting news.

psychotron

DF saying that the frame-rate is better on the PS4 at 1080p then on the Pro at 1800p.

Also that if you only have a 1080p screen with a Pro you are locked to the sub-optimal performance of the Pro!

This is what pisses me off. I have no way to get the same performance as the base machine. Wtf!

Ricker

Guess the Pro came to fast to developpers for some games and they dont have time to get everything right for now...I expect a lot of small patches but yeah,it sucks for now.

Why should Sony be in charge of that ? They're not making the game. If the developer wants, they could always implement that option.

GlamFM

Banned

Nope. That's your mind playing tricks on you ;)

Sony should have mandated no lower performance, or a locked 30fps minimum to be grated certification for PS4Pro support.

If you let Devs do what they want, they'll let frame rates get fucked for prettier graphics no matter how much power you give them to work with.

Hoje0308

Banned
1) First impressions matter a lot to set the tone.

2) News like that rises to the top. Media is a lot more likely to cover the games that don't work but should than they are to cover the boring games that are doing their job. I'ts simply more interesting news.

Who cares about clickbait articles and the "tone" you think has been set? New hardware launches usually involve a few hiccups.

Watched "PlayStation Access" WD2 footage and the screen tearing is crazy, googled random PS4 Pro footage and it was a lot better ... my anecdotal evidence, I can't imagine it being worse than OGPS4 from what I saw!

Too many devs rushed in a pro patch this fall.

Hopefully this will settle down in a couple months and not an issue a year from now with pro/Scorpio

runs WORSE on PS4 Pro?

Boy o boy am i glad i didnt fall for the hype.

PS: yes i know its downsampling and that results in worse performance but wtf . If that`s the reason then DON`T downsample. Let it run on 1080p in beautiful locked 60 fps. Which is probably not even possible because a cheap ps4 cpu and open world dont mix.

Feel bad for everybody paying 400 bucks. this thing is going down in price before christmas.

gonna stay with my Ps4 peasant edition until they fix the PROblems :D

Top Bottom