• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs 2 PS4 Pro - First Look/Analysis | Digital Foundry

Wait, so as a pro owner I technically can't play the same ps4 version? I have no choice in getting the pro version with these issues ?

This is correct, but there is reportedly a patch in cert right now which should be available in coming days. It might to something to help these issues, or it might not. It may simply focus on the online issues the game has (which is an actual game breaking issue).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sony should have mandated no lower performance, or a locked 30fps minimum to be grated certification for PS4Pro support.

If you let Devs do what they want, they'll let frame rates get fucked for prettier graphics no matter how much power you give them to work with.

A nice idea on paper, however Sony would look the other way on titles that are liable to sell well, which is exactly what would have happened here, plus either could prove problematic for smaller studios that lack the resources for the additional development time (e.g. indie devs using Unity) or larger studios that have set schedules, which, in the case of lower performance being disallowed, would just lead to developers playing it safe and having the Pro version be nothing more than the PS4 version with a resolution bump. Open world games in particular have a ton of variables, which raises the question of the extent to which the requirement applies. E.g. Do you deny a game certification because it drops to 20fps when you line up 20 cards and blow them up? If the mandate applies only to "regular gameplay", how do you define "regular gameplay" in a game that lets you run wild? Turning performance into a certification requirement is not as clear-cut as you might think. I guarantee you there'll be some PSVR games that don't run at 90fps 100% of the time.

On a related note, Microsoft didn't drop the 720p + FSAA requirement for X360 games after failing to enforce it select cases (most notably Halo 3) because it was feeling charitable; the requirement was simply impractical. There is an argument to be made, however, that 1080p mode on the Pro ought to be locked to the same rendering resolution as the standard PS4 version, but even this would be something of a half-measure as there's no similarly easy way to discourage developers from overdoing things on the CPU.

Too many devs rushed in a pro patch this fall.

Hopefully this will settle down in a couple months and not an issue a year from now with pro/Scorpio
Rushed?.As easy as have an option to choose 1080p native.This way you always have granted running better than OG PS4 version.We should blame Sony for not mandate always a native 1080p mode in addition to the higher res one.

I wish every developer would at least do 2 Pro modes. A 1080p mode with a higher framerate or graphics settings and a higher res mode whether it's 1440p, checker board something, or native 4k. That way you're not stuck with a possibly worse performing product even if it looks better.

No 60 fps mode :(

The worse performance is quite unfortunate, hopefully it sees some improvements to smooth out the performance problems.

I wish every developer would at least do 2 Pro modes. A 1080p mode with a higher framerate or graphics settings and a higher res mode whether it's 1440p, checker board something, or native 4k. That way you're not stuck with a possibly worse performing product even if it looks better.

I'd like to have the 4k mode and an unlocked mode, that's also lockable, running on PS4 settings.

ghibli99

Clean IQ, but that performance hit and screen tearing is just... :(

It's very strange that they won't just let the game render at the old PS4 resolution if the player doesn't want supersampling at 1080p.

Did Sony not think folks like DF would run these types of tests?

Overall, though, it looks good. Draw distance is really nice, especially when he came up over the hill on the bike.

killroy87

Who cares about clickbait articles and the "tone" you think has been set? New hardware launches usually involve a few hiccups.

Haha I don't know what to tell you man. If you disagree then you disagree, but I stand pretty firm in my opinion that "the three year newer, twice as powerful, $100 more console should AT LEAST match the old one, if not outperform it in every possible case". Until that happens, it looks really bad for Sony and the Pro.

Wow...again
This is ubisoft we are talking about but the ball is also in sonys court

Sony is not really giving people a good reason to upgrade are they??

Games run worse than base ps4

Console is just as loud as base ps4

Psvr games are all pretty much minigame or short game experiences with bad pricing

Personally feel sony has shot themselves in the foot here...you have a half step console that in 12 months is going to get trounced by a much more powerful console

They should of just stuck with the slim and made sure it was on par with the xbox one s in terms of features.

Can't they drop it to native 1440p with checkerboarding, it would certainly improve the framerate. Hell why not just give us a 1080p option with extra graphics options or improved framerate, take an example from the tomb raider devs.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Isn't it theoretically possible to enforce 1080p mode even on 4K displays by forcing the ps4 video output to 1080p on system settings?

Not that it should be considered a solution, but it might be a half measure until devs do the right thing and support each system in the best way

Harp

I am just going to synchronize my Pro and my Normal PS4 using the same controller. So I can avoid the drops.

EmiPrime

Okay I'll be sure to not turn around in circles in a car while surrounded by police at night and enjoy the vastly superior image quality.

Got it.

Isn't it theoretically possible to enforce 1080p mode even on 4K displays by forcing the ps4 video output to 1080p on system settings?

Not that it should be considered a solution, but it might be a half measure until devs do the right thing and support each system in the best way
No, it renders internally at the higher res and downscale the output.

icespide

Banned

no, you will always get the 4k-ish mode downsampled to 1080p, unless developers specifically implement different rendering options (like tomb raider)

Boke1879

Yea it seems for a better resolution and better looking game it comes at the expense of some performance issues. I'm sure it can be fixed with a patch and I'm sure they are coming. Quite frankly this is going to be no different than what we get now. I do think it'll get sorted out.

But there is no excuse when Ratchet, BF1 and even a FFXV demo runs just fine with this. I'll cut devs slack though. These are just growing pains and they will have to work it out. I mean it's only going to increase when Scorpio launches.

golem

Absolutely unacceptable that a Pro would run this slower than the regular PS4, especially with the lack of options

viHuGi

Banned
It's 2/3 fps, will be fixed in no time I'm pretty sure, Sony must be over them..

Most games I'm playing on Pro have amazing performances, Cod 4, IW, Uncharted 4, Ratchet, Mordor are just some examples.

Do we have Dishonored 2 test? I heard it's terrible on Pc so I'm scared to buy it.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
No, it renders internally at the higher res and downscale the output.

no, you will always get the 4k-ish mode downsampled to 1080p, unless developers specifically implement different rendering options (like tomb raider)

Even if you set ps4 pro to 1080p it identifies that it's connected to a 4K display and still forces the higher resolution?

Thats bad (and kinda nice at the same time).

Edit: Dumb me. Now i remember that only games that haven't been patched will perform like the ps4 version.

brawly

No. That's downsampling.

Even if you set ps4 pro to 1080p it identifies that it's connected to a 4K display and still forces the higher resolution?

In case of WD2 there's only mode and the Pro either uses checkerboard (if you use 4K output) or downsampling (1080p output)

icespide

Banned

its downsampling, which is intentional and kinda the entire point of the Pro

epmode

Why should Sony be in charge of that ?

Because they're the platform owner and they can mandate that games running on 1080p televisions have to have an option to render at the native resolution.

Alternatively, they can provide an option for the user to switch off Pro mode on a game by game basis. This is even easier for the platform holder to do; it's entirely an OS function.

Boke1879

This has nothing to do with hardware not sure why anyone would think this looks bad for the pro.

It looks bad in the sense that most people don't have nuance and would assume it's the Pro's fault and not that devs have to put in a bit of work to get it working up to snuff.

Most people just assume since it's better hardware it should automatically eliminate these problems.

w0s

Whelp I guess I'll wait and hope for a patch as a pro 1080p player. Hopefully someone's listening.

Lo-Volt

I feel like this is more about the developer than about Sony. I vaguely recall some on bugs in an Assassin's Creed game? Seems like par for the course. Shame, though. At least other titles will give owners of this console something to cheer about by the early looks of things.

This confirms with me that these df threads aren't for me. I just dont think I'd notice a 2 to 3 drop difference... Seems overly anal to me. I know i would never notice that while playing

King_Moc

Banned
Okay I'll be sure to not turn around in circles in a car while surrounded by police at night and enjoy the vastly superior image quality.

Got it.

Can't watch the video atm, but is this the kind of thing we're talking about?

The IQ bump in COD and TLOU has blown me away, so if this is the situation I'll gladly take it.

styl3s

Guess it's a good thing i kept my normal PS4 guess ill have to put my profile on the old ps4 to download and play this.

Tempted to just return my Pro until Sony decides it's un-fucking-acceptable that shit like this happens.

This confirms with me that these df threads aren't for me. I just dont think I'd notice a 2 to 3 drop difference... Seems overly anal to me. I know i would never notice that while playing
did they state it's a 2-3 fps drop? Because there is a difference between a 2-3 fps drop and a 10+fps drop especially with a lot of stuff happening. It's unacceptable weather you think it is or not because we paid for a premium product that promised 1:1 performance the original if not better.

Boke1879

Yes. hopefully Sony steps up here.

They won't. No one would. IT's a big game and it's still playable even if it has this issue.

This needs to be fixed and I'm not defending it, but again will most people even scream bloody murder over this? Outside of people like us, and Colin Moriarty, and people that want to make hay of this for a few days?

Yes. hopefully Sony steps up here.

Too late for that now, it already passed cert apparently if it's releasing in a couple days.
Sony already breaking their promise that games would run at the same framerate or higher for all titles on Pro.

if the base ps4 is running at 1080p and the ps4 pro version is running at 1800p with no enhancements, then i'd have to think there is something in the checker boarding implementation that is causing the drops. that would be the only computational difference aside from the resolution increase which the pro's gpu should be able to handle in this case.

if the base ps4 is running at 1080p and the ps4 pro version is running at 1800p with no enhancements, then i'd have to think there is something in the checker boarding implementation that is causing the drops. that would be the only computational difference aside from the resolution increase which the pro's gpu should be able to handle in this case.
Df says it could be the bandwidth.Not enough for some games.

EmiPrime

There are far more games that have higher framerates on Pro than on the standard PS4 but it seems some are determined to keep pushing a false narrative just because WD2 momentarily drops to 28 or 29fps sometimes when driving at night, as though that renders the much higher resolution meaningless.

Top Bottom