• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forget 60fps, 30fps is still a struggle for some games on PS4 Pro

leng jai

This isn't an attack on the Pro but an observation on console development in general. I can't be the only one who finds it ridiculous that we're moving from 1080p to 4K when we literally haven't had any sustained period of 1080/30fps. Now I like 60fps as much as the next guy but I'm perfectly fine with 30 provided it's consistent. Early days but a lot of PS4 Pro games are running at sub 30fps:

Skyrim (4K)
Watch Dogs 2 (1800p)
Dishonoured 2 (?)
Rise of the Tomb Raider (4K)

I'm sure there will be plenty more. Why are they even running at such high resolutions when they can't hold 30fps? For some reason I had the expectation that developers would at least have a baseline FPS of 30 but that appears to be a pipe dream. They haven't been afraid to release games that run worse than the OG PS4 so they can run them at super high resolutions. I don't expect a games running worse on Pro compared to the base model to continue but I'm not holding my breath for them to be consistently better.

I want to put this down as "launch woes" but it looks to me like a continuation of a trend we've had for ages. Scorpio looks to be no different with all the talk of native 4K. Are we stuck with sub 30fps forever on some console games?

FZW

Cause gamers said Native resolution is the most important thing and now we have 4K TVs coming out.

Alex

Partially launch jitters, partially 4K currently being a bit too pie in the sky for a $400 dollar console, although it is still a very good value.

slash000

Zeboyd Games
Do any of the examples cited have a "high framerate at 1080p" option? Doesn't Rise of the TR?

The question seems to ask "why 4k at sub-30 when we can't get 1080p stable" --- but don't some (all?) of those listed offer a more stable / higher framerate at 1080p on the Pro?

DJIzana

I would hope that you answered this yourself in that it's still early for the PS4 Pro.

If they still can't handle that a year later or something... I'd start to complain then. Just my two cents. :p

I heard Skyrim's latest patch solved the fps issues? Might be wrong though, not playing garbage games.

When posting screenshots you don't see the frame rate. It's seriously the reason why Insomniac is no longer making 60fps games, because you can't show it in marketing material.

That's not true. That was an old blogpost. They couldn't get R&C run at 60fps.

Caayn

When posting screenshots you don't see the frame rate. It's seriously the reason why Insomniac is no longer making 60fps games, because it's hard to show it in marketing material.

Kyoufu

30fps will always be a struggle for console games unless higher frame rates are mandated, which will probably never happen for non-VR titles.

it's a lot easier to market 4k than it is to market a steady framerate. i feel like 1440p should be the aim if they're going to go for better graphics. naughty dog has it right

9% isn't that small of an amount

9% of a small but still under development is OK at this generation.

We all know that Ubisoft is trying to fix this, Naughty is also looking forward to fix The Last of Us 60 fps mode, and Bethesda also said they are looking how to improve Skyrim 4K performance

Gator86

Adding a new format to program for only stretches the stresses of modern video game development further. Cerny said it only adds another 1-2% effort to optimize for the Pro. In a world where most games are probably only 90% done, that's a significant ask.

geordiemp

This isn't an attack on the Pro but an observation on console development in general. I can't be the only one who finds it ridiculous that we're moving from 1080p to 4K when we literally haven't had any sustained period of 1080/30fps. Now I like 60fps as much as the next guy but I'm perfectly fine with 30 provided it's consistent. Early days but a lot of PS4 Pro games are running at sub 30fps:

Skyrim (4K)
Watch Dogs 2 (1800p)
Dishonoured 2 (?)
Rise of the Tomb Raider (4K)

Rise of the tomb raider has a 1080p high frame rate mode does it not ? ... so your list is wrong and Tomb raider seems to offer the best options for Pro users..

But I agree that the others are wrong, they ned to offer a frame rate mode at 1400p or whatever is needed to optimise frame rate as an ption for us gamers who hate stutters.

No, just a vocal minority do. Developers will always opt for visuals over performance, since that sells games.

Not me, i ordered rise of tomb raider as it has a 1080p high frame rate mode, and Watch Dogs 2 is now on hold awaiting a DF second opinion.

Bad frame rates and pacing can loose orders.

Guymelef

I just bought two GTX1800 and put them on Sli, a today released game doesn't perform like it should yet, I guess I must burn them.

RedAssedApe

Banned
dropping frames is less of an issue. its more that the ps4 pro versions of some games are performing worse than the ps4 version.

this wasn't supposed to happen! (only half joking) heh

if they aren't gonna get the performance up to snuff there should be the choice in all ps4 games to run in the base ps4 mode like a games does when there is no official pro support

Fisty

There will never be a console ever that has 100% of titles at a locked 30 or 60. Never. No matter how powerful the hardware, or how light the games.

leng jai

This thread isn't just about the Pro. I've got one and I'm happy with it. I'm not talking about 30fps other, I'm talking about sub 30fps.

I've never correlated the number 4 to the phrase 'a lot'

It is quite a lot already on the context of high profile games. There's probably more I've missed as well. TLOU has a 30fps mode which feels dreadful. Ratchet runs really nice at 30fps and CoD/TF2 at 60fps are brilliant though.

Rise of the tomb raider has a 1080p high frame rate mode does it not ? ... so your list is wrong and Tomb raider seems to offer the best options for Pro users..

But I agree that the others are wrong, they ned to offer a frame rate mode at 1400p or whatever is needed to optimise frame rate as an ption for us gamers who hate stutters.

From what I've read the "60fps" mode isn't great in ROTR.

Skux

Boneheaded decision to try for higher resolutions like 1800p when it results in worse performance than base PS4.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It would have been the same on PS5 anyway, even with a Zen CPU.

Devs will focus that power into what they want.

It just shows more on Pro because the CPU is the same as PS4, so the GPU is bottlenecked by the CPU and modest bandwidth increase.

Higher resolutions was marginally better fidelity was always the deal with Pro

We're never going to have a 60fps commonality in videogames because of the desire for better visuals as well as resolution increase unless you dump money on a PC.

EmiPrime

Do you have any first hand experience of these games? Dishonored 2 does not have any problems keeping a steady framerate during gameplay.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Lot of apologist focused on the number. I say it's more worthwhile to focus on the games in question. Four different AAA games by four different well-recognized companies (Bethesda, Naughty Dog, Square Enix, Ubisoft). I think that speaks more volume than anything.

I'm not saying 30fps is bad, I'm just saying the Pro might be showing its weaknesses fairly early in.

That's why I never bothered buying the pro.
One beast of a PC & the OG ps4 for exclusives is more than enough for me.
Screw 4K. 60fps at 1080p anyday.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Do you have any first hand experience of these games? Dishonored 2 does not have any problems keeping a steady framerate during gameplay.

kind of off topic as its not really about frame rate but dishonored 2 feels pretty awful regardless if the fps is steady

more like 3

bethesda shouldn't be even in the list.....their console performance is pretty much 100% trash lol. People don't buy those games for framerate period.

tumblr_inline_nx04nvugJg1qckebs_540.jpg

I agree. No one buys Bethesda games for performance, so why does it matter? They buy them for the excellent story telling.

I think your taking an issue that's developer centric (or game centric) and extrapolating it to something else entirely.

Just look at your list. Do you really think TLOU is a game where the Pro doesn't have enough power to match the PS4 performance? Or maybe the situation is it's one of two patches for ND for the Pro launch that has slightly worse perf.

Meanwhile a title like BF1 has significantly increased resolution and performance and is an all around more "next gen" title.

It's a developer/game thing that will always exist. I really am not sure what people expect outside of Sony putting in strict mandates which sounds like an awful idea for developer relations.

Lichter

I'm not even interested in (buying new) consoles anymore but the PS4 Pro is really underwhelming.

Hopefully the Scorpio will handle that better, I saw that gif on reddit that is really good imo, MS should impose that guideline to every Scorpio game:

Top Bottom