• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forget 60fps, 30fps is still a struggle for some games on PS4 Pro

Lady Gaia

It's sad how many people jump to the defence of poorly performing games, especially so for those on a supposed premium console. Almost like they want to censor the truth.

"The truth" about whether an occasional dropped frame ruins the experience is highly persona and often blown out of proportionl. Most of these recent threads are recoiling in horror at momentary dips while GAF as a whole adores titles like Shadow of the Collosus and Dark Souls that spent significant amounts of the game chugging well below 30fps.

I'd much rather development teams focus on making a game enjoyable and ambitious than obsessing over a lost frame now and then. Wake me when the next Blighttown-class situation shows up and I'll gladly call the developer out, but I reserve the right to also enjoy myself if the game is still spectacular.

Why are we beng inaccurate with The Last of Us by trying to clam the difference is smaller than it is? It's not just 2 frames. DF clearly states it's often in the mid 50s with around 5 frames lost and can hit as low as 10 frames worse. That's not only 2 frames. Can we at least accurately represent the state rather than try to sugar coat it?
Well, Digital Foundry didn't accurately represent the state either. Their video states that "Even when forcing PS4 Pro to output at 1080p, it still runs at a lower framerate than the standard PS4 model". Except that their framerate graph for the comparison footage doesn't show that. It shows that sometimes the standard runs higher, and sometimes the Pro runs higher. Most of the time, they're essentially the same.

So here's what the actual situation is:

- If you connect Pro to a 1080p TV, Last of Us in high-framerate mode will be downsampled, and run just as well as the 1080p standard version.
- If you connect Pro to a 4K TV, in high-framerate mode the game will be 1800p. Most of the time it runs at 60fps, but it drops up to 5fps below the standard model at times.
- If you connect Pro to a 4K TV, in high-quality mode the game will be native 4K. It runs at a completely locked 30fps.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I heard Skyrim's latest patch solved the fps issues? Might be wrong though, not playing garbage games.

Yes, it does.

The only time I noticed any framerate issues was when I first turned the game on my PS4 Pro.

But since then, the framerate has been pretty rock solid. A few drops here and there.

holygeesus

Banned
"The truth" about whether an occasional dropped frame ruins the experience is highly persona and often blown out of proportionl. Most of these recent threads are recoiling in horror at momentary dips while GAF as a whole adores titles like Shadow of the Collosus and Dark Souls that spent significant amounts of the game chugging well below 30fps.

I'd much rather development teams focus on making a game enjoyable and ambitious than obsessing over a lost frame now and then. Wake me when the next Blighttown-class situation shows up and I'll gladly call the developer out, but I reserve the right to also enjoy myself if the game is still spectacular.

This is a good point. I find frame drops on consoles less annoying than when gaming on a PC, if anything, as I know there is nothing I can do about them anyway, and soon ignore them and concentrate on enjoying the game. On the PC I will be constantly tinkering to sort the issues out. It's odd.

It's also more than four games that have issues at this point. I'm not saying the sky is falling, nor that these issues can't be resolved, but let's try to be accurate to what the situation is....
If we're going to be accurate, it's not more than four games. It's these for sure:

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
The Last of Us Remastered (only in high framerate mode, only on 4K TVs)

And two other games that had reported framerate issues, but have had performance patches since then and may not anymore:

Watch_Dogs 2
Skyrim Remastered

You're right that World of Final Fantasy is also messed up on Pro, but I don't recall any framerate issues being listed as among its problems.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
If we're going to be accurate, it's not more than four games. It's these for sure:

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
The Last of Us Remastered (only in high framerate mode, only on 4K TVs)

And two other games that had reported framerate issues, but have had performance patches since then and may not anymore:

Watch_Dogs 2
Skyrim Remastered

You're right that World of Final Fantasy is also messed up on Pro, but I don't recall any framerate issues being listed as among its problems.

The only issue with WoFF is a blur/smearing filter after the Pro update, that's purely a developer blunder which should be fixed with the next update.

At this moment Deus Ex is the only high profile game which you can say truly performs worse on a Pro, other then that just about every other game both looks and performs much better on Pro. Unfortunately, the OP and a few posters in this topic are sticking to the same 3 games and using it as the basis of their discussion while completely ignoring everything else.

After playing 4 different Pro patched games, I have to say the extra resolution isn't that big a deal. I would have preferred the resources have been spent on PC-like ultra texture quality and higher frame rates at 1080p with HDR enabled. I think if you just got a 4k TV, the picture quality enhancements from games you're seeing is more due to the better image processing and quality of your display panel than the Pro enhancements.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Performance affects how enjoyable for many games to the gamer. Why enter a PS4 Pro thread if you are not going to discuss the stuffs like dropped frame, since that is the point of PS4 Pro?

Lady Gaia

Performance affects how enjoyable for many games to the gamer.

Am I not a gamer? And are there not many different aspects to performance, including per-pixel IQ and resolution? Modern games, especially open-world games, are complex enough that I don't expect a developer to be able to account for every situation and guarantee a fixed frame rate. Especially not during the first week after a new system launches.

Why enter a PS4 Pro thread if you are not going to discuss the stuffs like dropped frame, since that is the point of PS4 Pro?

I'm in a PS4 Pro thread because I own a PS4 Pro. I believe you'll also find that I am discussing dropped frames. I just happen to be of the opinion that an occasional dropped frame isn't a huge deal for me, so I'm sharing that opinion. The ones I question are those who don't own a PS4 Pro and are treating this as if it's an unprecedented catastrophe when in practice I've found the improved clarity to be breathtaking, and have been pleasantly surprised by how many games offer both high frame rate and high quality modes.

leng jai

That's exactly the problem, I'm not expecting locked 30fps at 4K on PS4 Pro hardware, or even 1800p. 1620p or 1440p are better options that would only look marginally worse and yield better performance. I hope developers find the right balance instead of just pushing 1800p/4K at sub 30fps and calling it a day.

1620p or 1440p are better options that would only look marginally worse and yield better performance. I hope developers find the right balance instead of just pushing 1800p/4K at sub 30fps and calling it a day.
I wouldn't get too hopeful about this. What you think is the "right" balance is a matter of preference, and the majority of people disagree with you. Since most gamers don't mind 2-3fps drops on occasion, devs will generally not build to eliminate them. It's unfortunate, but that'll be the case.

That said, the gap in power between standard PS4 and Pro is such that the great majority of games are running better on Pro anyway. The Pro already has multiple games at native 4K/60, which very few folks were expecting.

I still can't believe there's people on GAF who don't understand framerate is a developer choice.

They could make every game 60fps if they wanted. Even more so on consoles since everyone's hardware standardized.

It's a developer choice of priorities and what they can do with the hardware and software, optimizations would take place or even compromises to double the performance, and then with this additional performance obtained they could choose to push things even further.

It's a battle of priorities, do you use the computational power for performance, or do you use it in other areas and potentially improve things such as the visuals?

Top Bottom