• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forget 60fps, 30fps is still a struggle for some games on PS4 Pro

leng jai

I read the OP. I'm asking if the OP has any first hand experience.

Other than a few of the boat trips (which are short and not playable) the whole game felt pretty good to me.

Yes, it started off alright but I quickly shelved the game waiting for a patch. Same situation for Watch Dogs 2 which has tearing on top of the FPS drops.

Fisty

My favorite thing is now people are saying there should be a way to force PS4 mode when they just spent $400 on a higher spec replacement for it

AkIRA_22

Devs should implememt the 30fps visual mode or 60fps performance mode. Tomb Raider and Show of Mordor have done this right.

SpokkX

For 60fps i have come to accept two options

- PC just using brute force
- Nintendo because they usually prio 60fps

Ps/xbox seem to be doomed to be a low end pc with to high default settings

30fps will be a thing as long as finite fixed hardware exists and people want better grafffix

If the CPU also got a twofold improvement as the GPU did maybe we'd see more 60 fps modes.

Seriously, with iterative consoles it makes it a whole lot more plausible, the developers may push the PS4 as hard as they can but they also have more powerful console to work with, where they can pursue graphical fidelity or performance, perhaps even a bit of both.

We could, and will of-course still have games which prioritize graphics and intensive CPU computations over frame-rate, but iterative consoles open up more possibilities.

We even have games with unlocked frame-rates pushing close to 60 on the PS4 Pro, Infamous Second Son and First Light, and Rise of the Tomb Raider to name three games.

The infamous games already had unlocked frame-rates, so the developers took advantage of the Pro's increased CPU and GPU capabilities to push higher frame-rates, throwing more powerful at a game that was originally created for the PS4.

Its possible to throw more power at games and gain an increase in frame-rate if developers chose to do something similar to what Sucker Punch did with Infamous on the PS4, and Crystal Dynamics and Nixxes did with Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Alexious

This isn't an attack on the Pro but an observation on console development in general. I can't be the only one who finds it ridiculous that we're moving from 1080p to 4K when we literally haven't had any sustained period of 1080/30fps. Now I like 60fps as much as the next guy but I'm perfectly fine with 30 provided it's consistent. Early days but a lot of PS4 Pro games are running at sub 30fps:

Skyrim (4K)
Watch Dogs 2 (1800p)
Dishonoured 2 (?)
Rise of the Tomb Raider (4K)

I'm sure there will be plenty more. Why are they even running at such high resolutions when they can't hold 30fps? For some reason I had the expectation that developers would at least have a baseline FPS of 30 but that appears to be a pipe dream. They haven't been afraid to release games that run worse than the OG PS4 so they can run them at super high resolutions. I don't expect a games running worse on Pro compared to the base model to continue but I'm not holding my breath for them to be consistently better.

I want to put this down as "launch woes" but it looks to me like a continuation of a trend we've had for ages. Scorpio looks to be no different with all the talk of native 4K. Are we stuck with sub 30fps forever on some console games?

4K@60FPS is only possible with the new Pascal-based Titan GPU even on PC and will only get a bit cheaper with the 1080Ti. Expecting something like that on console is naive to say the least, PlayStation 4 Pro can merely increase the resolution for improved fidelity but frame rate improvements are a mirage with that hardware.

ghibli99

1440p alone pushes 78% more pixels than 1080p, 1800p is 150% more, and 2160p/4K is of course 300%. Most games run at the same speed or faster, some run just slightly slower, which when I consider what's being done for $400, is pretty impressive. There are exceptions that have problems that truly do need to be fixed/optimized, though. I don't do side-by-side comparisons all the time like DF, so I'm probably never going to notice a 1-3 fps drop. Hope future patches just let games render in the original 1080p (or lower) resolution if players want either the vanilla experience on the Pro or increased IQ at 1080p. I would certainly appreciate that, even though I have a 4K display.

Fliesen

This thread isn't just about the Pro. I've got one and I'm happy with it. I'm not talking about 30fps other, I'm talking about sub 30fps.

It is quite a lot already on the context of high profile games. There's probably more I've missed as well. TLOU has a 30fps mode which feels dreadful. Ratchet runs really nice at 30fps and CoD/TF2 at 60fps are brilliant though.

From what I've read the "60fps" mode isn't great in ROTR.

high profile games. yes.
but games developed for and optimized around baseline PS4 hardware.

The fact that pretty much all of those games run perfectly fine / stable on the PS4 just means that devs do care about stable 30fps.
It's simply the patches were simply rushed out / not properly optimized in some cases. - these patches were, literally, an after thought with regards to the game dev cycle.

I wouldn't draw any conclusions about the future of PS4 or PS4 pro games from this transition period of games, honestly.

The fact that we're blowing up EVERY SINGLE time a game's FIRST pro version (consider patch 1.04 essentially pro version 1.0) to be this huge issue that justifies "not falling for the hype" is quite the obvious confirmation / justification bias for anyone who just doesn't want to upgrade mid-gen.

Izuna

Banned
I'm not even interested in (buying new) consoles anymore but the PS4 Pro is really underwhelming.

Hopefully the Scorpio will handle that better, I saw that gif on reddit that is really good imo, MS should impose that guideline to every Scorpio game:

Yuck, no thanks.

I want unified experiences for console pls

Realistically, the 4K ability is for people who care more about high res than frame rate. So if high res/low frame rate isn't your jam - don't play games at that setting. Like I don't understand doing that personally, frame rate takes priority for me too coming from the PC world. So at least there's an option to run at 1080p with the improved frame rate instead (which is what I would do if I owned a pro). I would hope the Scorpio would have the same option, I wouldn't care to run things at a native 4k.

For reference, I have a GTX 1070 in my PC and run things at 1080p so I have that overhead for my frame rate. That card was made to run things at 1440p or 4k but that's not where my priority is. So I purchase 1080p displays.

TL;DR - Console peeps aren't stuck at 30fps, they are choosing 30fps by choosing to render at 4k/upres-ing to 4k.

Side note - Most manufacturing would consider anything past 2% failure rate as un-passable. So yes, 4/36 and 11% is statistically significant. Not that running games a way a person chooses at a low frame rate should be considered a failure, it's just the choice the end-user made but just saying.

Fbh

Anyone who was expecting 60fps from the pro was just being silly.
I doubt we will ever get a 60fps console, most devs will allways focus on presentation or try to find some sort of balance between the 2.

With that said, I do think that some games performing worse on the Pro than on the original Ps4 is really dissapointing.

I just bought two GTX1800 and put them on Sli, a today released game doesn't perform like it should yet, I guess I must burn them.

It's more like you upgrading from a GTX 980 to a GTX 1080 and finding out that several new high profile games are running better on the GTX 980.

No reason to burn it, of course. But wouldn't you be dissapointed?

Koobion

But PS4 Pro has more 60FPS 4K games than it does 30FPS

What are you doing, injecting sense into yet another hyperbolic Pro complaint thread? People only want to pile on the negativity and ignore the details.

Seriously, reading some threads you'd think the Pro can barely hold 30 in any games, when in reality the examples given are usually mild drops at certain locations.

Takuan

There hasn't been enough time for devs to truly optimize Pro modes. It's expected this first batch of games will have their flaws, and it's possible they'll be patched out later on.

I do agree the optics aren't so great, and most people won't be compelled to run out and buy a Pro until 4K displays become more prominent and we start seeing Pro modes that show a marked improvement without sacrificing established performance standards.

MANGOD

Banned
Its funny how it takes a vid from someone like digital foundary for eveyone to suddenly become the frame detective. The majority of you MF's wouldn't know shit without it, keep on trollin baby

Its funny how it takes a vid from someone like digital foundary for eveyone to suddenly become the frame detective. The majority of you MF's wouldn't know shit without it, keep on trollin baby

You see this all the time too on GAF, sometimes unwittingly.

Just recently, one topic said FFXV on Pro was unlocked. Then a bunch of people took that and ran with it.

Spoilers: It was locked 30 fps.

Brix

Did you not know the CPU was small increase in power compared to the original ps4? And you named 4 games......threads like this man 😐

Wagram

It's really unfortunate that the Pro turned out this way. I hope Scorpio turns out better, but I really don't have nay hope for that either. Goals with these consoles should have been different.

Samaritan

Until performance gains in hardware start to hit major diminishing returns, I just can't see a world in which major console games prioritize 60FPS over more visual bells and whistles. Super omg grafix sell games to the mainstream a lot better than "this game runs at 60FPS". Mainstream consumers also don't appear to be getting any more educated in this regard, sadly, so I just can't envision ever having our AAA console games running at 60FPS.

Also, how big of a mess can the PS4 Pro be? The messaging is all over the place, there'a no consistency in what you can expect from supported games, and now we've got games that actually perform worse on the system. It's equal parts frustrating and embarrassing.

LowSignal

I'm not even interested in (buying new) consoles anymore but the PS4 Pro is really underwhelming.

Hopefully the Scorpio will handle that better, I saw that gif on reddit that is really good imo, MS should impose that guideline to every Scorpio game:

Wow that's a good idea, who ever made that should get paid for it.

Fliesen

It's really unfortunate that the Pro turned out this way. I hope Scorpio turns out better, but I really don't have nay hope for that either. Goals with these consoles should have been different.

"turned out"? the PS4 pro is fine.

4 games are having issues - some incredibly minor - with their first pro-patched version.
Other than maybe Skyrim, i expect all of these games to be fixed by the end of the month, if not sooner.

These are games patched to run on a new hardware configuration than they were designed around.

Until performance gains in hardware start to hit major diminishing returns, I just can't see a world in which major console games prioritize 60FPS over more visual bells and whistles. Super omg grafix sell games to the mainstream a lot better than "this game runs at 60FPS". Mainstream consumers also don't appear to be getting any more educated in this regard, sadly, so I just can't envision ever having our AAA console games running at 60FPS.

Also, how big of a mess can the PS4 Pro be? The messaging is all over the place, there'a no consistency in what you can expect from supported games, and now we've got games that actually perform worse on the system. It's equal parts frustrating and embarrassing.

This is not a real world issue, though. This is a GAF issue.
Of course, game sites are gonna report on that because everyone likes manufactured outrage.
It's literally the same as "my iPhone 6 bends" and "my iPhone 6S has a different chip than your iPhone 6S", "my screen has a yellow tint" etc.

I dunno if its just not common knowledge at all, but alot of these issues are due to the way its rendering at a higher resolution with neater graphics.

Even when watching on a 1080p display some games are still rendering at higher resolutions, and being super sampled.

I mostly blame developer for not QA testing more, because they are the ones tweaking the graphics to allow for it to run properly. The PS4 Pro does exactly what it was meant to, developers just haven't mastered how to balance the added power in order to mainatain stability.

Tarkus

Much rather have 60fps with a lower res. Please devs, give us options. See what's the most popular.

At the moment games are being primarily developed with PS4 in mind and these Pro patches that we have so far seem like hack jobs.

Let's wait until PS4Pro becomes the primary development platform before judging.

Conduit

Banned
This thread isn't just about the Pro. I've got one and I'm happy with it. I'm not talking about 30fps other, I'm talking about sub 30fps.

It is quite a lot already on the context of high profile games. There's probably more I've missed as well. TLOU has a 30fps mode which feels dreadful. Ratchet runs really nice at 30fps and CoD/TF2 at 60fps are brilliant though.

From what I've read the "60fps" mode isn't great in ROTR

60fps mode is great on PS4 Pro. You read it badly and wrongly :

Check NX gamer video :

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LlzChw9u4nE

It's very funny and unbelieveable too see that some people make a such a drama over Skyrim with 1-2 fps drops here and there at 4k on Pro. Just LOL.

Yeah, Skyrim really runs badly on Pro! ROFL

OP sucks big time!

Early days but a lot of PS4 Pro games are running at sub 30fps:

Skyrim (4K)

I know it is not the same performance on the ps4 pro, but come on. I played skyrim on the pro and it hardly drops any frames and when it does it is around 1-3 fps. It is hardly noticable

geordiemp

If they use Jaguar, they are gonna be even more bottlenecked than Pro is

Yup your right there.

My disappointment is Sony not asking devs to offer 2 modes

1. The 4K mode with downsampling to 1080p Tv;s for those graphic fans/

2. A 1400p or even 1080p mode which downsamples to1080p but gives better frame rates to the target, focusing on pacing and timing.

From what I've read the "60fps" mode isn't great in ROTR.

I read it was great and should be the new standard for options for all pro games. In both videos I watched the performance mode looked ideal for me.

I dunno if its just not common knowledge at all, but alot of these issues are due to the way its rendering at a higher resolution with neater graphics.

Even when watching on a 1080p display some games are still rendering at higher resolutions, and being super sampled.

I mostly blame developer for not QA testing more, because they are the ones tweaking the graphics to allow for it to run properly. The PS4 Pro does exactly what it was meant to, developers just haven't mastered how to balance the added power in order to mainatain stability.

It's crazy that something that devs have control over is getting pinned on the console.

When the entire basis for the issue is that it runs better on the base console. Meaning it's largely a QA issue.

But some reolies here are already going the typical way you expect. Generalized grievances that aren't even talking about the topic issue. 😐

BigEmil

This is a brand new console just released devs need to get used to it but will be quick eventually since it's still ps4 og at the core

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Man .. the OP is reaching places.

2 of the 4 games he listed aren't performing worse at all and this part:

I'm sure there will be plenty more

Come on now :p

My favorite thing is now people are saying there should be a way to force PS4 mode when they just spent $400 on a higher spec replacement for it

Well yes there should be - as a last line of defense against developer incompetence.

While we only had minor drops there might come games that drop to 15-20 fps if someone goes too high.

BigDug13

I'd like to see more games have the option to play at 1080p 60fps instead of forced upscale to 4K then supersampled back to 1080p at the cost of frames.

The forced upscale to 4K even when you're not going to output at 4K is causing framerate problems in some games for 1080p TV owners that they would not experience playing the game on a standard PS4 and I find that unacceptable.

leng jai

I'm not blaming the PS4 Pro hardware, my post was about developers and their mentality when it comes to FPS/IQ. This thread isn't even about 60fps over 30fps, it's about going under 30fps.

I'm sure there will be plenty more[/QUOTE

Come on now :p

We had heaps of games in the previous generations that were sub 30fps, it's not like it's a sudden development.

That's up to developers and they are mostly to blame for the worse performance on the PRO. I suspect it's only a problem on launch, but games in the future will feature better implementation. It just get to show why 60FPS will never be the standard in the gaming industry no matter how powerful the hardware is. Resolution and visual effects are what impresses the average person, not the high framerates.

Top Bottom