• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS4 seen its biggest week for console hardware since launch in the UK

Loudninja

Let's begin with PS4, GfK reveals that PS4 posted its most successful non-launch week in the UK. The machine saw bundles of under £200 fly off shelves, and it had an impact on the software charts, too. Popular bundles including Uncharted 4: A Thief's End saw that game return to No.8, while Driveclub makes a comeback at No.20 and Ratchet & Clank slides in at No.25.

It comes as a boost to Sony's hardware, which has found itself in second space in recent months following the launch of Xbox One S. According to our sources, PS4 shifted 142,578 last week, which was 50,000 above Xbox One.
As a result, 3DS hardware sales also, unsurprisingly, jumped last week despite no real Black Friday discounting. Over 35,000 3DS machines were sold according to GamesIndustry.biz sources.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...-and-moon-is-nintendos-biggest-ever-uk-launch

DKHF

Wonder what the split is between the Pro and Slim, guessing it was mostly slim since the bundles were only for slim IIIRC...

itshutton

The deals were insane with PS4 significantly better than XBox bundles (normally £30 cheaper across the board). Sony clearly went out with the intention of winning the UK back from Microsoft.

Kyoufu

I really wonder if Driveclub, after all it's been through, will end up as one of the best selling exclusives for the PS4, when it's all said and done. Such a shame what happened to the dev team (even if the launch was a hot mess) :S

Driveclub was bundled.

madmackem

The deals were insane with PS4 significantly better than XBox bundles (normally £30 cheaper across the board). Sony clearly went out with the intention of winning the UK back from Microsoft.
Hmmmm both were around the same price what I saw, in fact saw deals on Xbox with more games.

You do realise the PS4 is still far ahead of the XB1 in the UK Right?

Just because Microsoft outsold the PS4 by a small amount for a couple of months it doesn't make up that much ground.

Welfare

#1 week: 250,000 (Launch)
#2 week: ??? (This Black Friday)
#3 week: ~139,000 (Last year's Black Friday)

RocknRola

Driveclub was bundled.

*Is actually. Still see it in a lot of bundles (though not alone, usually with one or two other games).

Though I'm not sure if these bundles are "official", per say. They're not like those proper PS4+2/3 games bundles. I think they're retailer bundles (regular PS4 Slim + a couple of older games).

madmackem

You do realise the PS4 is still far ahead of the XB1 in the UK Right?

Just because Microsoft outsold the PS4 by a small amount for a couple of months it doesn't make up that much ground.
Yeah infact Sonys new ps4 slim tv ad runs with the best selling console in the uk just got better.

Sober

As someone who grabbed a Slim last weekend, I am fairly happy with it.

What other exclusives should I nab up? Getting the UC collection before I start UC4, as well as getting Infamous Second Son. Have my eye on Bloodborne and maybe Until Dawn.

Mostly looking at PS exclusives as I'm primarily a PC gamer and I prefer my multiplats on PC.

Likewise, having NHL17 is cool cause I havent played one since maybe 09 on the PC.

I am curious about Driveclub. What kind of racer is it? I'm mostly acquainted with more recent Criterion racers.

Also I've been trying my luck on Destiny but it doesn't seem to be really clicking with me, even though I enjoy other MMO style games. Heck just this week I put in more time with The Division than any other game.

Unbelievable performance and you have to think this will likely be repeated in the US given how similar the markets are. I thought PS4 would be down from last BF because it was enormous but time to change that.

Holy shit what a performance

There was a shit ton of PS4 deals over the BF weekend. You could get 2 games like U4 and Fifa 17 for under £200 pretty much every where.

Xbox was mainly floating around £229 but you started seeing them go under £200 as the weekend went on.

I think Sony defo had the better and cheaper deals. It's not really surprising but will be interesting to see if it was close this year like it's been in the past but doesn't sound like it was.

Amazing numbers if it's the second biggest week for it. Looks like that £199 price is the sweet spot for the masses.

What other exclusives should I nab up? Getting the UC collection before I start UC4, as well as getting Infamous Second Son. Have my eye on Bloodborne and maybe Until Dawn.

Mostly looking at PS exclusives as I'm primarily a PC gamer and I prefer my multiplats on PC.

Likewise, having NHL17 is cool cause I havent played one since maybe 09 on the PC.

I am curious about Driveclub. What kind of racer is it? I'm mostly acquainted with more recent Criterion racers.

Also I've been trying my luck on Destiny but it doesn't seem to be really clicking with me, even though I enjoy other MMO style games. Heck just this week I put in more time with The Division than any other game.
Add resogun and alienation if you like twin stick shooters. Ratchet for eye candy and a great game to play with the little ones. If you like baseball, go for the mlb games.

That's some incredible hardware performance for PS4.
I mean biggest hardware since launch?

I think £200 with games is where tons of casuals from the mass market want to buy a PS4. Combined with it being Xmas, big numbers were always a given but not at this level.

Above 139k for BF week is very impressive.

RocknRola

250k is impossible. 139k was already an insane result.
Yeah, which is why this being higher is indeed crazy. Though if I had to guess, I'd say the Xbox probably isn't too far behind these numbers, but time will tell.

In all fairness it could be anywhere in that range. I hope we get some more info later.

True, true. Could be like 141k for all we know (which would already be amazing tbh).

Sneaky edit, but it probably isn't close to 250k. That is just the highest week ever while this week was the second biggest.

I kinda misread the post the first time, hence the edit :p my bad.

Like you, I'm mostly a PC gamer and use a PS4 for exclusives.

As someone who doesn't usually get into racers, Driveclub is amazing. More of an arcade game than sim, but still feels realistic enough. The environments are beyond beautiful, and honestly the tracks are the star of this game to me - not the cars.

Destiny I couldn't commit to, because I'm used to regular content updates and huge explorable locations in MMOs. Destiny has neither, but if you love arena PVP and really enjoy FPS gameplay it might be your thing.

Bloodborne is fantastic fun, and the only Souls game I've finished. I own Dark Souls 1, 2, and 3 on PC but quit on all three part way through. Bloodborne kept me hooked to the end thanks to the (imo) superior gameplay and environment design.

The most fun I've had with my PS4 though is from Indies and smaller titles. "Free" games from PS+ means I end up with games I'd normally avoid or wait for steep Steam sales on. Journey we all know about (and well worth playing if you haven't), but there's also Never Alone - a game made by an Inuit tribe to keep an ancient folk story alive in modern times; Race the Sun - an addictive "just one more try" racer, with races over in less than a minute or two; Transistor - cyber-punk JRPG style game by the guys behind Bastion; Towerfall Ascension - some of the best couch multiplayer gameplay I've ever had. This list could go on for a while, but I'm sure you're getting the point =P

Awesome console choice for living room gaming if you're a PC gamer. And thanks to Microsoft's commitment to put all Xbox exclusives on PC as well from now on, there's nothing to lose any more.

jjonez18

Unbelievable performance and you have to think this will likely be repeated in the US given how similar the markets are. I thought PS4 would be down from last BF because it was enormous but time to change that.

Holy shit what a performance

Isn't Black Friday in the UK still relatively young? Could also be the consumers settling into the trend. As Black Friday grows in popularity, so does the sales. Similar to what we've seen in the States.

Isn't Black Friday in the UK still relatively young? Could also be the consumers settling into the trend. As Black Friday grows in popularity, so does the sales. Similar to what we've seen in the States.

I'm sure that plays a factor, as it seems Black Friday is becoming a bigger and bigger deal outside of the US.

That said after this performance I'm expecting a massive day for PS4 in the US as well. I think it's likely to be up over last year now.

madmackem

The deals for both the Slim and Pro are pretty sweet currently on HotUKDeals so not surprising.
Deals for both Xbox and ps4 have been unreal this bf, deals on games just out also man cod iw for £23 watch dogs 2 £30 just mad mad deals all round, I won't be buying any games next year close to bf as the price drops were just wow.

Sjefen

I'm sure that plays a factor, as it seems Black Friday is becoming a bigger and bigger deal outside of the US.

That said after this performance I'm expecting a massive day for PS4 in the US as well. I think it's likely to be up over last year now.

Black friday has become a thing in Norway as well, but many shops call it Black week with different offers every day and/or with hourly offers.

Top Bottom