• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS4 seen its biggest week for console hardware since launch in the UK

noobie

Banned
I think it also proves to Sony where they need to price PS4 for the VR to take off in casual. I think PS4 will hit price points which PS3 failed to hit even after 7 years.

With Pro added to the product mix the ASP should be higher than last BF. Great performance by Sony UK. If Horizon hits the right chords and GT Sport and GoW4 end up great, 2017 should be insane (if GoW4 releases next year that is).

noobie

Banned
I'm sure that plays a factor, as it seems Black Friday is becoming a bigger and bigger deal outside of the US.

That said after this performance I'm expecting a massive day for PS4 in the US as well. I think it's likely to be up over last year now.

But i dont think PS4 got that crazy deals in USA.. XBO had better deals in USA.. So i am not sure UK results will be replicated in USA.

madmackem

I think Xbox will have had a good week too, like I said deals for both were too good to pass up I bet a lot of one console owners bought either one as the deals were good enough to jump in. Hope it means software sales pick back up after a bad few months.

Yeah, I nearly impulse bought one as well, can't complain with a prove of £170/£180.

Going to wait to see if I can get a cheap Pro next year though.

Congrats to Sony, price matters!

RocknRola

I think more than anything this tells Sony that if they really want/need to, come Scorpio they can counter it by marketing the Pro aggressively with cheaper prices and consumers will respond. Should be an interesting battle in the favour of us, the consumers, next year.

Fliesen

Sony's strategy of being first (compared to Scorpio) on the market with a (somewhat) 4k capable console might just pay off. It might just 'clog' the market for an even more powerful, even more expensive(?) piece of hardware.

I wonder how many of those sales are slims (supposedly new PS4 users) vs. Pros (i would assume a lot of upgraders from the OG)

The deals were insane with PS4 significantly better than XBox bundles (normally £30 cheaper across the board). Sony clearly went out with the intention of winning the UK back from Microsoft.

It's the opposite here in the states. Xbox had and still has some very nice bundles. Even before black friday you could get an xb1s with 3 games for 299.

Next year will be "interesting" with Battlefront 2 , RDR 2 ,Egypt AC and Destiny 2 ( delays Incoming).

And likely a $199 PS4 Slim, which will be interesting as hell to watch as we haven't seen a Playstation at that price point since the PS2 days.

Edit- nvm forgot PS3 eventually got there with the 12GB

Theorry

Would be crazy if it wasnt imo. Cheaper slim version now. So more intresting for the casual customer looking for the perfect price to jump in finally. And the Pro wich is a "new console" for the "hardcore" people. Who again buy a new PS4 since launch.

Floex

Looking ahead, Sony have got themeselves in a good spot. Drop the Pro before the Scorpio release and you'll sell gangbusters.

Scorpios going to need to show something big.

Sony's strategy of being first (compared to Scorpio) on the market with a (somewhat) 4k capable console might just pay off. It might just 'clog' the market for an even more powerful, even more expensive(?) piece of hardware.

I wonder how many of those sales are slims (supposedly new PS4 users) vs. Pros (i would assume a lot of upgraders from the OG)

$299 PS4 Pro Red Dead Redemption 2 Bundle next year book it.

Loris146

And likely a $199 PS4 Slim, which will be interesting as hell to watch as we haven't seen a Playstation at that price point since the PS2 days.

Edit- nvm forgot PS3 eventually got there
RDR 2 bundle ( if handled well with an entry level bundle and a limited one) could be extremely huge.

Floex

There were zero deals on the Pro. It was all about the slim.

Coxy100

Banned
You do realise the PS4 is still far ahead of the XB1 in the UK Right?

Just because Microsoft outsold the PS4 by a small amount for a couple of months it doesn't make up that much ground.
I don't think that's what he was referring to. He wasn't referring to overall sales - he meant monthly sales (that's the impression I got anyway). Seeing as Microsoft had won that recently

Loris146

Looking ahead, Sony have got themeselves in a good spot. Drop the Pro before the Scorpio release and you'll sell gangbusters.

Scorpios going to need to show something big.
Scorpio will be fine at launch even at 449/499. The real test will start January.

Withnail

Would be crazy if it wasnt imo. Cheaper slim version now. So more intresting for the casual customer looking for the perfect price to jump in finally. And the Pro wich is a "new console" for the "hardcore" people. Wich again buy a new PS4 since launch.

Yep, it's pretty good how they've got the cheapest console on the market and the high end option for people who want that. XBO is at risk of getting squeezed in the middle.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

Edit- nvm forgot PS3 eventually got there with the 12GB

You expect a $100 price drop on the Slim in the upcoming year? I definitely see a drop to $250 on the horizon (late Q2-Q4 2017 or 1H 2018), but I can't see it hitting an MSRP of $200 until 2018 or 2019. The only thing that would change my mind is if Scorpio is revealed to be $400, XB1 drops to $200, and Sony shifts the pricing of all their models in response.

You expect a $100 Slim price drop in the upcoming year? I definitely see a drop to $250 on the horizon (2H 2017 or 1H 2018), but I can't see it hitting an MSRP of $200 until 2018 or 2019.

I fully expect Slim to be $199 next BF yes. It's official price point for this BF was $250

krang

Deals were insane all round. I got an Xbox One S for someone in my family for £199 with Minecraft, an extra controller, custom back plate, also with an additional £10 store credit and £30 cash back.

It was £189 with COD:IW on amazon, that's fantastic value.

Yeah some good PS4 deals at 189-199

I think the exciting thing was seeing PS4 sub £200 everywhere. It's been in the £250 range for a long time. Xbox One S had some £199 deals, as well as £235-255 but maybe Xbox spent its load in the last two months?

Top Bottom