• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dev: Games built for Scorpio first will look like they're on an old laptop on OG XB1

DOWN

Banned
cool

http://gamingbolt.com/games-built-o...ike-old-laptop-games-on-xbox-one-brawlout-dev
GamingBolt had a chance to speak to Bogdan Iliesiu of Angry Mob Games, currently working on Brawlout, as to whether Scorpio’s power can be put to any meaningful use in the long run. He noted that, “Sure, it’s usually easy to pump up the graphics, to take advantage of the extra processing power. If the games are designed for the Xbox One, they’ll look great on Scorpio.”

However, Iliesiu also said that, “If it’ll be the other way around, and the games will be pushed to the limits, to look amazing on the Scorpio first, it’ll probably feel like playing on an old laptop, when playing that game on the Xbox One.” This seems to indicate that Scorpio far out-classes the Xbox One in terms of hardware performance.

Quonny

They need to just cut off the XBO if this is true. They need to have a trade in program and just say fuck it, if they're serious about dominating the market.

They'll look great. The best. Xbox One? Sad.

Wonder how much the cloud will help Scorpio too, exciting times ahead.

Gitaroo

that is why generationless console will never happen, eventually OG xbone won't be able to run newer game no matter how much they downgrade the visual.

They need to just cut off the XBO if this is true. They need to have a trade in program and just say fuck it, if they're serious about dominating the market.

I don't think MS needs to go that far, but I'd like to see Scorpio-exclusive software, despite their insistence that it won't happen.

Stevey

If that's the case, might as well make it a new gen.
Who's gonna want the latest games to run like shit?
moreso than they do now

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think this was pretty obvious since they announced Scorpio, unless some level of denial is involved.

The trade in program will be from stores like EB Games. Yes, they definitely need to discontinue OG XB1 since 1S sounds like a standard that people are happy with.

jelly

They'll cut off support eventually but unless they've changed their mind it won't be happening soon.

It does make you think though. Halo 6 2018 on current Xbox One/S and Scorpio or just Scorpio?

I think they'll give it a few years and jump when Sony go with PS5.

Fisty

I really think MS should just start fresh with Scorpio, throw in full BC and call it a day. Making games run on XB1 when they're built for Scorpio will just be a mistake and only serve to drag the Scorpio down.

Performance delta is just too wide.

I agree, but as far as the trade in program goes, I read this alot and don't know what people expect. You have multiple trade in programs. It's called Amazon, Best Buy, Gamestop, Target, etc. There's no need for them to create a trade in program.

This is the awkward thing about the console refresh approach. PS4 Pro is a small enough jump that you still get roughly the same experience on both systems. But Scorpio looks like essentially next-gen Xbox Two. I seriously doubt Scoprio will maintain compatibility with Xbox One for the life of the hardware. It'll be way more like Xbox360->Xbone where you can keep playing games like Destiny or MGS5 with major compromises.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Well they've said it'll be 6TF which clearly far outclasses 1.3TF.

I think the key will be whether games really take advantage of Scorpio (and ps pro) or remain higher res versions of Xbox one games. I think the continuous progress of PC will put increasing pressure on OG XB1 and PS4 like happened with PS360, with resolutions and framerate dropping as complexity increases. In a situation like that, Scorpio and PS Pro will naturally move to become the new baseline for acceptable performance - until PS5/Xb2

Zalman

OG Xbox One owners will get lesser games while people who upgrade to the Scorpio can't take advantage of its full potential because the games still have to run on OG hardware.

MS should just move on from Xbox One if that's what they really want. This middle-ground thing is just weird for everyone.

Protome

Relatively unknown dev exaggerates and makes silly predictions to get attention: The news story.

that is why generationless console will never happen, eventually OG xbone won't be able to run newer game no matter how much they downgrade the visual.

I don't think anyone has ever claimed it would happen. These console bumps aren't about making the old consoles compatible going forward forever, it's about allowing people to get a more powerful one earlier if they want it instead of waiting 6+ years. The old ones will still be made obsolete in a similar timeframe to what you would expect. An iPhone from 5 years ago also can't run most modern apps for example.
Best day of my job was managing to get them to drop iPhone 4S/iOS7 support.

Elios83

gamingbolt surely has been doing a lot of work to promote Scorpio :p
Same pattern: interview unknown developer->clickbait on N4G->money??

DOWN

Banned
Can it really be a new gen though? PS5 is likely not coming until 2019 and the XB1 is still young. Scorpio will be significantly weaker than PS5 if it's has to be two years older. I suspect they will make a new gen to go toe to toe with PS5 and in the meantime they will let Xbox One become a tragic mess right around the time they are ready to do their first Scorpio price drop

Chabbles

"If the games are designed for the Xbox One, they’ll look great on Scorpio. However, If it’ll be the other way around, and the games will be pushed to the limits, to look amazing on the Scorpio first, it’ll probably feel like playing on an old laptop, when playing that game on the Xbox One.”

Kind of common sense, idk why anyone would see it as a bad thing. It indicates a substantial upgrade.

Gator86

OG Xbox One owners will get lesser games while people who upgrade to the Scorpio can't take advantage of its full potential because the games still have to run on OG hardware.

MS should just move on from Xbox One if that's what they really want. This middle-ground thing is just weird for everyone.

They don't want to alienate the current base but have to get away from Sony's dominance this gen, basically by moving to a new gen. They're fucked. I can't imagine any way this Scorpio thing works out for them in any way.

To be fair, a lot of games on consoles right now increasingly have that 'old laptop' feel when compared to PC versions

Low res and shoddy framerates

Interfectum

Yeah, at this point just call Scorpio a new generation console and it'll play XBO games. Otherwise this idea has no future in 2018+ if XBO gets horribly gimped performance.

That's assuming the only benefit to 'generationless' consoles is that the old consoles can still play the new games, at downgraded visuals.
Being able to support old consoles with little effort is a huge incentive for developers, and will result in continued support for those older consoles.

However, there are numerous other benefits to consoles without generations.
Your entire gaming and entertainment library transfers seamlessly to your new system when upgrading, older systems will receive continued support at an OS and feature-set level, newer and older games will have larger multiplayer populations, accessories will be compatible with newer systems and games, social groups aren't split apart, etc.

Top Bottom