• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dev: Games built for Scorpio first will look like they're on an old laptop on OG XB1

Which is precisely why no one will be designing specifically for the Scorpio unless their paid to do so (Same thing you'll see on PS4 Pro).

We're talking about sliders people. And that's not necessarily a bad thing.

TM94

Yeah didn't expect anything otherwise to be honest.

Microsoft are going to have to be flawless when properly revealing this thing.

kobu

I still believe the Scorpio is MS's next gen console. If so, it kinda makes sense. MS might dont wanna admit it but .....

A lot of people keep saying this but how well do you think this is going to go over? The backlash would probably be worse than the xbox one launch.

Wil348

Can it really be a new gen though? PS5 is likely not coming until 2019 and the XB1 is still young. Scorpio will be significantly weaker than PS5 if it's has to be two years older.

Yeplease. Doesn't make sense to release a new model for $300 when it's going to be absolutely useless just a year later.

Unknown?

They don't want to alienate the current base but have to get away from Sony's dominance this gen, basically by moving to a new gen. They're fucked. I can't imagine any way this Scorpio thing works out for them in any way.
They can't move to a new gen with Scorpio. The gap between it and Pro is smaller than between Pro and OG PS4. People would scoff at the minor differences and say the upgrade to next gen isn't worth it unless PS5 is way more powerful.

timmyp53

The millions who bought Xbox ones this last week should feel xomforted in knowing the game play itself should be mostly the same .

Which is precisely why no one will be designing specifically for the Scorpio unless their paid to do so (Same thing you'll see on PS4 Pro).

We're talking about sliders people. And that's not necessarily a bad thing.

In your opinion, is the difference between Destiny on Xbox360 and Xbox One a difference of "sliders". I think that's roughly the disparity we're going to see.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Let's face it : it will be the case for every upgraded consoles, wether it's Scorpio or the Pro or if Nintendo come up with something like that.

We already have a sample with The Last Guardian, which runs like shit on stock PS4 and can be played fine only on Pro.

Forgot about this....

And thats not Pro Mode, right. Just the base game?

Wait a min....all PS4 games after a certain release date already have pro made built in IIRC.

aBarreras

Let's face it : it will be the case for every upgraded consoles, wether it's Scorpio or the Pro or if Nintendo come up with something like that.

We already have a sample with The Last Guardian, which runs like shit on stock PS4 and can be played fine only on Pro.

i dont think a game 10 years on development that had its trailer played at double speed so it will look like is running at a decent framerate is indicative of any of this

In your opinion, is the difference between Destiny on Xbox360 and Xbox One a difference of "sliders". I think that's roughly the disparity we're going to see.

I don't know all the differences present between the versions. I know the last dlc broke from the previous gen, though I don't know the exact reasons why.

I'll put it like this:
Want better textures? Better framerate? Higher resolutions? More particle effects? Turn up the sliders for Scorpio.

Want better AI? More complex geometry? More complicated physics? Wait for a break from the previous gen.

Wedzi

Banned
Maybe I'm in the minority but I'm kind of hoping Scorpio is just a stealth new console that allows for full backwards compatibility with games and accessories but brings all the trappings of a new console. 4-5 years was once the old generational gap before PS360 right?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Completely different or just some higher res textures and a res bump?

I would say that running a game at 720p/900p with medium-low textures, shadows and average AA vs. running the same game at 2k/4k with ultra-high textures, shadows and decent AA makes it a completely different game, but sure, it's a matter of perception and personal taste. Different LOD can already make a huge impact.

LordKano

Forgot about this....

And thats not Pro Mode, right. Just the base game?

The base game runs like crap on PS4 and the only way to play it with decent framerate is on Pro mode (except if it has already been patched since yesterday).

i dont think a game 10 years on development that had its trailer played at double speed so it will look like is running at a decent framerate is indicative of any of this

It's only the first of many games to come.

The God

Relatively unknown dev exaggerates and makes silly predictions to get attention: The news story.

I don't think anyone has ever claimed it would happen. These console bumps aren't about making the old consoles compatible going forward forever, it's about allowing people to get a more powerful one earlier if they want it instead of waiting 6+ years. The old ones will still be made obsolete in a similar timeframe to what you would expect. An iPhone from 5 years ago also can't run most modern apps for example.
Best day of my job was managing to get them to drop iPhone 4S/iOS7 support.

? That's what Microsoft's "beyond generations" tagline is all about. eventually the OG XB1 will be dropped.

Who said anything about shitty ports? Even today devs have games runnning on Xbox One and PS4 and the same games running at way better quality and performance on high end PCs.

Yet we're starting to see games that run like shit on the OG PS4 compared to the Pro (TLG for example) so it's bound to happen.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Is...is that a good thing!? Even after just selling people Xbox 1 S's just this year?

And now people are advocating for exclusive software? Some people really do want a next gen early...

I would say that running a game at 720p/900p with medium-low textures, shadows and average AA vs. running the same game at 2k/4k with ultra-high textures, shadows and decent AA makes it a completely different game, but sure, it's a matter of perception and personal taste. Different LOD can already make a huge impact.
I agree it makes a huge difference but not a different game. I welcome those upgrades though.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Is...is that a good thing!? Even after just selling people Xbox 1 S's just this year?

They announced Scorpio at this E3. They could have kept quiet, but they decided to be upfront about it. If one cares about graphics one should know already what to expect from Scorpio and the gap to Xbox One (S). So what's the complaint here?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

And now people are advocating for exclusive software? Some people really do want a next gen early...

No it most certainly is not, it's just about one step removed from actually discontinuing support for XB1.

CamHostage

Will see if this works out, but what I like best about PS4 Pro (and to a lesser extent New 3DS) is that the new hardware is being used not to make a generational leap in games (unless, in the n3DS's case, they really really need to because a game can't be done on the old kit) but instead to just make your own games sing.

If consumers are interested in invisible generations and regular console upgrades, and if console makers and game designers can really show the difference over each half, then I'll come onboard, but I like better the classic idea getting huge steps every decade but mixed with the idea of improved systems that just take advantage of improved technology and dropping component prices to ensure games of the gen always look their best.

post-S

To me old laptop performance means sub-native resolution and 15FPS performance.
Not sure if that's what they want to imply.

If that's true, then they shouldn't make cross-system games (Xbox One AND Scorpio).

We were all talking about how they would show the PS4 Pro and the base PS4 versions to the public... I have no idea how you show the Scorpio version and then the majority of the user base gets a version that just doesn't look close to that.

Scorpio should just be the next generation for Microsoft, as crazy as that sounds. I don't envy the marketing and PR teams next holiday.

Its not as if Scorpio is a big secret or a rumour, people can make an informed decision on something they're buying now against something they might want to buy in a years time.

Inuhanyou

They announced Scorpio at this E3. They could have kept quiet, but they decided to be upfront about it. If one cares about graphics one should know already what to expect from Scorpio and the gap to Xbox One (S). So what's the complaint here?

Well i didn't expect such blustering like that. a resolution boost and general graphics improvements from PC builds along with a smoother FPS won't make the game so much different like how he describes.

But i guess i was expecting a more toned down response like 4K graphics and such. Saying straight out that Scorpio is going to make XB1 irrelevant feels a bit much considering MS is still saying that there are no exclusive titles and the hardware is still bound to XB1, and they just started selling XB1S this year.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The base game runs like crap on PS4 and the only way to play it with decent framerate is on Pro mode (except if it has already been patched since yesterday).

It's only the first of many games to come.

Damn. I agree its a good example.

Durante

Interestingly, if you look at PC gaming as a whole, most people play on "old laptops" (and those are a lot more people than those who play on any console).

BD1

Banned
They need to just cut off the XBO if this is true. They need to have a trade in program and just say fuck it, if they're serious about dominating the market.

I tend to agree. Something that drastic in power is a new platform, not an extension. Starting to appear to me there is a broader Universal Gaming play here that they haven't talked about yet.

Head.spawn

The same is the case for literally every single PC game made these days (using old tech as their baseline) and somehow they manage to not turn games to shit in comparison of what a Titan X can do down to a 7870.

I think it'll be just fine.

I don't really think any devs will be building for the scorpio first when it releases. I think it's ust a general statement of this is what they could do if they developed it first for scorpio.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Well i didn't expect such blustering like that. a resolution boost and general graphics improvements from PC builds along with a smoother FPS won't make the game so much different like how he describes.

But i guess i was expecting a more toned down response like 4K graphics and such.

But this is exactly what old laptops get, lower resolution (usually 720p which is not so unheard of on Xbox One either) and medium-low textures, low shadows etc.

and the hardware is still bound to XB1

Where have Microsoft said that?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Interestingly, if you look at PC gaming as a whole, most people play on "old laptops" (and those are a lot more people than those who play on any console).

Yeah, but being an old laptop owner, I sure as shit can't play any recently released on my laptop more than ~8 frames per second :(

Anything pre 2012 though, works sufficiently well, it runs PCSX2 and Dolphin with modest settings which is about all I need from it.

oti

Banned
The communication on this new hardware is so terrible already and we don't even have a release date yet.

Inuhanyou

Also i was thrown off cause he made it sound like devs were getting word that MS isn't mandating that devs use XB1 as a base, so they can just make a Scorpio game and compromise the XB1 version in whatever way they need to.

I can understand Scorpio running the games better, but compromising the hardware your still selling with that kind of development patter makes no sense to me whatsoever

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
They can't move to a new gen with Scorpio. The gap between it and Pro is smaller than between Pro and OG PS4. People would scoff at the minor differences and say the upgrade to next gen isn't worth it unless PS5 is way more powerful.

What?

ramparter

Banned
Just admit it's a new system, Spencer. Say it's got Xbox One backwards compatibility and just call it a day.
You are wrong. Not everyone cares for ultimate settings, thats why many of us prefere consoles to PCs. Xbox one will still be able to play those games and they wont look bad, just not as good as in Scorpio. This is the way it should be from now. You can call it a new system or generation, truth is I will have the option to continue playing my games on Xnox One and upgrade to Scorpion when I feel to. And the same games will work on both consoles, I wont uave to decide if I want to buy the XpOne version now or the Scorpio version later.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Also i was thrown off cause he made it sound like devs were getting word that MS isn't mandating that devs use XB1 as a base, so they can just make a Scorpio game and compromise the XB1 version in whatever way they need to.

I can understand Scorpio running the games better, but compromising the hardware your still selling with that kind of development patter makes no sense to me whatsoever
Can we get a press sneak fuck to investigate this please? Cause I'm sure many would like to know the actual mandate details/summary, if any by MS.

Stillmatic

Seems obvious if they're targeting the higher end platform. I'd say the same would happen if devs targeted the Pro from the start of development and pushed it to its limits, the OG PS4 version would look bad in comparison.

The interesting thing is that they could look at Pro and Scorpio in this light, which as a Pro owner I hope they do. That is, they push they higher end platforms and filter down rather than what is happening now with the Pro (obviously because it's just come out).

Top Bottom