• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dev: Games built for Scorpio first will look like they're on an old laptop on OG XB1

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Also applies to XB1S too right since its essentially nearly same hardware as OG XB1

Yeah if that thing still uses jaguar.. I mean it'll probably have a pretty beefy GPU and do 4K better than the Pro does, so there's still some merit to that statement, since laptop screens aren't exactly the best, I guess?

OG Xbox One owners will get lesser games while people who upgrade to the Scorpio can't take advantage of its full potential because the games still have to run on OG hardware.

MS should just move on from Xbox One if that's what they really want. This middle-ground thing is just weird for everyone.

I think this is the answer. Scorpio is Xbox Two. What's less clear is whether PS4 Pro will actually bridge the gap with PS5, or if it will die the same day PS4 dies.

DOWN

Banned
"If the games are designed for the Xbox One, they’ll look great on Scorpio. However, If it’ll be the other way around, and the games will be pushed to the limits, to look amazing on the Scorpio first, it’ll probably feel like playing on an old laptop, when playing that game on the Xbox One.”

Kind of common sense, idk why anyone would see it as a bad thing. It indicates a substantial upgrade.
For me:

It evokes the mess that was Black Ops 3 cross gen, in which BO3 looked messier than even the previous game did on last gen because the game had pushed to far and downgrading it for weaker systems meant hacking it to pieces and hurting the aesthetic dramatically more than just putting the setting lower

gogojira

I don't know if this is good or bad. I mean, I like sweet, sweet graphics and all but it seems like a generational leap and the marketing might be confusing as fuck. Guess we'll see.

fronn

This feels like less of a problem than anyone is making it out to be.

The PC space has worked like this successfully since the dawn of PC gaming. It's fine.

I'm glad the console market is moving towards mid-cycle refreshes and hopefully "backwards compatibility" is something that we laugh about in 10 years, because your Xbox One games will still play on your latest XPotato.

We may finally start getting (some of) the best of both worlds in the console space if PS4Pro and Scorpio model catch on.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I kinda doubt MS is handing upgraded devkits out yet, particularly to indie-devs.

Possible I suppose, but it seems a bit premature.

Can it really be a new gen though? PS5 is likely not coming until 2019 and the XB1 is still young. Scorpio will be significantly weaker than PS5 if it's has to be two years older. I suspect they will make a new gen to go toe to toe with PS5 and in the meantime they will let Xbox One become a tragic mess right around the time they are ready to do their first Scorpio price drop

If Scorpio is $500+, they won't have the consumer base to justify a new gen. That's why they should wait until the costs comes down. Maybe the end of 2018.

jelly

They don't want to alienate the current base but have to get away from Sony's dominance this gen, basically by moving to a new gen. They're fucked. I can't imagine any way this Scorpio thing works out for them in any way.

I think it works well for them in the sense of being able to offer a powerful console for a cheaper price when PS5 arrives and still have another console to leap frog the PS5 in their pocket. Xbox One/S support will be dead other than BC but a 6TF Scorpio a year or two on will easily hang in there with a PS5/Scorpio 2.0 but at a mass appeal price.

Lom1lo

Can someone explain how this is anything new ?! I mean its 6tf vs 1.4tf, of course will a game tailored to scorpios power look like shit on the original xbox one (s). The question is, will that happen ? And this is not answered here.. (I think ?!)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
That's some smooth PR

'It'll make your current XBOX games look like complete SHIT!'

Fun fact: there are already out there PCs with more than 6TF ? Playing XBOX games at a hugely improved quality.

"It'll make you current XBOX games look as average as they look today on Xbox One and as modern games on Scorpio"

Vuze

Guess what: If developers were targeting PS4 Pro as baseline, the games would look and run like shit on OG PS4 too.

Such non-news.

koutoru

Nothing surprising here. If you optimize for the more powerful system it's going to run and look worse on the old system.

I think most developers would rather port up to Scorpio rather than port down to xb1 though.

Kayant

Sky is blue.
Gamingbolt still a shit tier site.
This seems to indicate that Scorpio far out-classes the Xbox One in terms of hardware performance.
OMG guys! 6TF > 1.3 or so TF. Wow.
gamingbolt surely has been doing a lot of work to promote Scorpio :p
Same pattern: interview unknown developer->clickbait on N4G->money??
Doesn't even have to be unknown with them.
To expand ask same old already answered questions --> create 10+ news pieces with clickbait titles from said interview --> profit??

Admodieus

They're not going to cut off the original XBO, especially with all the Slim's that came out this holiday season.

This is probably going to be a $500 console at launch with people with 4K TVs who want all that fidelity.

Guess what: If developers were targeting PS4 Pro as baseline, the games would look and run like shit on OG PS4 too.

Such non-news.

And it should not. People are already complaining about how mid gen refreshes will jiust kill the original systems and I think Microsoft should cull any and all talks of Xbox One becoming obsolete when Scorpio releases. We' d never hear the end of it.

Gestault

I feel like a statement like this is almost a tautology.

I agree that a game designed to exceed the capabilities of a system will run poorly on that system.

Well, I mean, the OG XB1, even the XB1S, has 12CUs, 768ALU, 16ROPs.

The PS4 Pro has 36CUs, and if games like Death Stranding, The Last of Us Part II, and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy end up looking like their PSX trailers at retail, they'll be amazing visually.

The Xbox Scorpio is beyond even that. To think this wouldn't be the case is hilariously shortsighted. The XB1 simply doesn't have what it takes to really push things any more, it is a hobbled console, which is why games like Gears of War 4 and Forza Horizon 3 looking like they do in XB1 means a world of possibility for Scorpio-helmed games.

Put me on the "Slowly phase out the XB1 and push the Scorpio to its limits" train.

It seriously should just be a next gen system with excellent backwards compatibility.

But that's a really hard sell then. People will wonder why the PS4/XB1 is receiving the same games when MS would be on a new gen. Not to mention the price difference between them for them only to have very similar libraries.

I'd wager a guess that the larger portion of system sales are usually driven by wanting access to the games that last gen doesn't have. Scorpio will be marketing itself to only the most dedicated Xbox gamers as it's asking the largest price for the same library. I can't see people who don't have any current gen systems buying one in droves and the rest of the potential customers already have access to that library.

3rd party games won't have this issue since the PS4 is still out there. Exclusives are another ball park but agree that they should just call it a new gen and be done with it.

VariantX

Nothing surprising here. If you optimize for the more powerful system it's going to run and look worse on the old system.

I think most developers would rather port up to Scorpio rather than port down to xb1 though.

Might as well do that or be scorpio only. I doubt most games will fare as well as the 360 ports of RotTR and TF1 with that kind of gap.

Duxxy3

Can someone explain how this is anything new ?! I mean its 6tf vs 1.4tf, of course will a game tailored to scorpios power look like shit on the original xbox one (s). The question is, will that happen ? And this is not answered here.. (I think ?!)

I'm guessing it'll be similar to the COD transition

Ghosts was made for 360, but looked better on XB1 and PS4. Not a huge difference though.

AW was made for XB1/PS4 and the 360/PS3 versions suffered for it.

BO3 was made for XB1/PS4 and the 360/PS3 versions lost their campaigns.

IW was made for XB1/PS4 and the 360/PS3 versions don't exist.

By 2018, most games will be down ported from Scorpio/Pro. 2019 the remaining new PS4/XB1 titles will be severely downgraded.

Boke1879

This really doesn't mean anything. He's just stating a hypothetical.

Based on what MS said at E3. Scorpio will not get exclusive games and I HIGHLY doubt they'll target Scropio as the baseline. At least not this early.

If anything the end of 2018 you'll see both the OG PS4 and Xbox start to phase out, as Scorpio and PS4pro become the new normal. Then Sony launches the PS5 sometime in 2019.

eso76

And they will be played. They will just look completely different.

Eh, I can play PC games on my a 10tflop machine or my 2tflops laptop.
Devs will just have to not use that power in ways that it won't be scalable.
Like, no matter how much you cut back on graphics, a psone couldn't have run gta3 or Morrowind. Certainly not in the same shape.
Otherwise, just drop res, shaders etc and what you get is the same game, only uglier.

Besides, how many games this gen presented something you couldn't replicate on PS360, sacrificing graphics or performance ?
Can't think of any, honestly.

Also, yes, this is non-news. We know the specs, the leap is significant.
Were you expecting it to not translate to what the games are going to look like ? That wouldn't make sense

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
3rd party games won't have this issue since the PS4 is still out there. Exclusives are another ball park but agree that they should just call it a new gen and be done with it.

Most of the 3rd party games also have PC versions. There's really no big issue to target multiple configs these days.

Alienous

Just make it a new, fully backwards compatible console, Microsoft. No need to anchor it to the Xbox One.

Third-parties will make games for both for years, you'll be able to dazzle with stunning 1080p Xbox Scorpio exclusives (why are you trying to sell 4K TVs?), and you'll get the jump on Sony.

This seems to indicate that Scorpio far out-classes the Xbox One in terms of hardware performance.

I don't think they meant it but that is one of the most unintentionally funny things I've read ages, lol.

Most of the 3rd party games also have PC versions. There's really no big issue to target multiple configs these days.

You still have the baseline to target which are the consoles, the most important platform is still the PS4 and will be for the next 2-3 years so no way the Devs will have shitty ports on them anytime soon.

by the time that happens, we would have a new generation traditionally, but it seems we are past those

Developers don't even target Xbox One now, they target PC.
We don't regard the Xbox One or PS4 versions as looking like trash, they just look worse.
Scorpio games will just look closer to highest quality PC graphics than Xbox One does.

LordKano

Let's face it : it will be the case for every upgraded consoles, wether it's Scorpio or the Pro or if Nintendo come up with something like that.

We already have a sample with The Last Guardian, which runs like shit on stock PS4 and can be played fine only on Pro.

great, they really need to make Scorpio feel like a next gen console.

ok, it is not MS who said that, I still hope develoeprs use scorpio in the best way.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
You still have the baseline to target which are the consoles, the most important platform is still the PS4 and will be for the next 2-3 years so no way the Devs will have shitty ports on them anytime soon.

Who said anything about shitty ports? Even today devs have games runnning on Xbox One and PS4 and the same games running at way better quality and performance on high end PCs.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
The sooner you admit it's a new hardware cycle/gen for you, the smoother the transition will be. Think about it, MS.

Top Bottom