• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did I just screw over the pizza delivery guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I am in the office, some of us want pizza, we order at a papa John's about 5 minutes away from our facility, we call at 11am just as they are opening. We order about 4 pizzas and some stuff. An hour passes, I call and ask for status and it's supposedly on its way. At 1230 I am pissed, and I call again since I want to speak with the manager. I basically voiced my discontent and requested either a discount or a free pizza because I wasn't paying for a God damn cold slice. I wait on hold for 5 minutes, delivery guy appears at the gate, manager tells me the order is free. I still tip the delivery guy several dollars, and his excuse was that there was heavy traffic.

I waited an hour and a half and the receipt said it was the very first order of the day. How does that make any sense? Especially since we are so close, if I knew it was gonna take this long I would have done a carry out. I do feel bad for the driver, I hope he doesn't lose his job because of this but it's entirely inexcusable. Did i fuck him over?

If he had a legit excuse then nothing should happen to the guy.

, ...and his excuse was that there was heavy traffic.

image.php

otapnam

I am in the office, some of us want pizza, we order at a papa John's about 5 minutes away from our facility, we call at 11am just as they are opening. We order about 4 pizzas and some stuff. An hour passes, I call and ask for status and it's supposedly on its way. At 1230 I am pissed, and I call again since I want to speak with the manager. I basically voiced my discontent and requested either a discount or a free pizza because I wasn't paying for a God damn cold slice. I wait on hold for 5 minutes, delivery guy appears at the gate, manager tells me the order is free. I still tip the delivery guy several dollars, and his excuse was that there was heavy traffic.

I waited an hour and a half and the receipt said it was the very first order of the day. How does that make any sense? Especially since we are so close, if I knew it was gonna take this long I would have done a carry out. I do feel bad for the driver, I hope he doesn't lose his job because of this but it's entirely inexcusable. Did i fuck him over?

It only matters if the pizza came out of the oven and was "on the way" awhile ago, right?

Was the pizza still hot? Maybe the store just took forever to make em as well

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
You screwed yourself over by ordering Papa Johns. Yuck.

An hour and a half is ridiculous though.

You don't even have a way of knowing if the delay was the driver's fault. And whether it is or isn't, you had a right to complain. I would complain too in your scenario.

Kuga

You are the consumer and didn't act out of line given the circumstances. It isn't your responsibility to concern yourself with the fate of a delivery driver who may or may not have been doing his job.

Makonero

$2 or $3 is the normal tip regardless of how much pizza is ordered. I once got paid entirely in quarters for three pizzas and was tipped 25 cents.

It is ridiculous that it took that long for the first order, especially considering how few people order early. It may have been a lunch rush though and usually they only have one delivery driver at any given time for lunch.

He screwed himself over. First order and 5 minutes away, heavy traffic doesn't work as an excuse. Dude was probably sitting in his car b/sing and thought he had all the time in the world because you're so close. While you were on hold, the manager called him and said wtf dude, he magically shows up at the door instantly.

I'm a pizza driver. I really doubt he'd lose his job over it. The person you talked to was probably lying when he said the delivery had left anyways.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
I worked at a pizza place for years not sure how Papa Johns does it though. Takes a while for the oven to warm up and cooks to finish prep. So if a call came in at 11 when we opened I would say it will be a little longer then usual. Traffic can be a thing as well. Driver could be late and just got in. You never know.

I'm a pizza driver. I really doubt he'd lose his job over it. The person you talked to was probably lying when he said the delivery had left anyways.

This too.

Novoitus

Banned
That long and that close it sounds like that dude fucked up. Lots of shit can happen though, if it wasn't his fault then he won't lose his job

madmook

I wouldn't feel bad. If he really was stuck in crazy traffic, he does have your phone number and could've give you a call to explain the situation.

RinsFury

If he's fired he probably deserves it, 90 min to deliver a pizza from 5 minutes away doesn't make any sense. At least they gave the order to you for free.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
We had to reheat it.

Yeah, you're fine. 1.5 hours for cold pizza? Ridiculous.

You screwed yourself over by ordering Papa Johns. Yuck.

An hour and a half is ridiculous though.

Correct.

They exit the mall, cross an intersection, half a minute drive, take a right... You are here. 5 minutes is generous.

Yeah, you know what, you still even tipped the guy. You did better than fine.

Spenny

In my experience as a pizza driver in my early 20s the managers generally didn't give a shit about complaints about delivery unless I was caught doing something illegal (speeding or blowing lights). If he's opening driver he's most likely iinvincible either way. Dude was probably the only driver there and had a double. Even though you ordered first he took the other first because it was closer.

Also, you might be a shitty tipper which I used to flag on my GPS to purposely drive slower so your pizza was cold.

norm9

No excuse for an hour and a half delivery time if you're five minutes away. There MIGHT be a valid excuse. Heavy traffic is not one of them.

In my experience as a pizza driver in my early 20s the managers generally didn't give a shit about complaints about delivery unless I was caught doing something illegal (speeding or blowing lights). If he's opening driver he's most likely iinvincible either way. Dude was probably the only driver there and had a double. Even though you ordered first he took the other first because it was closer.

Also, you might be a shitty tipper which I used to flag on my GPS to purposely drive slower so your pizza was cold.

But OP is five minutes away. Why would it take an hour and a half even if the driver had a second order and delivered that one first?

If he's fired he probably deserves it, 90 min to deliver a pizza from 5 minutes away doesn't make any sense. At least they gave the order to you for free.

I wouldn't feel bad. If he really was stuck in crazy traffic, he does have your phone number and could've give you a call to explain the situation.
It probably had nothing to do with the driver. Dipshit food makers probably didnt see the order. Happens quite often at my job.

vern

I'm more curious how you were able to order "about 4 pizzas."

Dude probably wasn't sure which pizzas were yours so he said "fuck it" and just chilled while he waited to confirm how many he should actually deliver. Either that or he was toking up.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
It probably had nothing to do with the driver. Dipshit food makers probably didnt see the order. Happens quite often at my job.

Doesn't help they just opened at 11. Not like ovens can suddenly work. They take time to heat up. We don't know what time the workers get in.

Nah, you're good. A 90 minute wait is completely unacceptable, particularly at 11 AM on a Friday. It's not like you ordered it in the middle of the Super Bowl.

Doesn't help they just opened at 11. Not like ovens can suddenly work. They take time to heat up. We don't know what time the workers get in.

That's not really an excuse. Open at a different time if you're not ready to take orders in a timely manner at 11.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I worked at a pizza place for years not sure how Papa Johns does it though. Takes a while for the oven to warm up and cooks to finish prep. So if a call came in at 11 when we opened I would say it will be a little longer then usual. Traffic can be a thing as well. Driver could be late and just got in. You never know.

This too.

Seems like someone would come in early to warm up the oven before you open. Why didn't someone come in early to warm up the oven?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Usually if you open at 11, you have the employees coming in at 10 to prep the ovens and everything else. You don't just go in at 11.

If they hadn't gotten in early enough to heat the ovens to operating temperature by the time the doors are open, then they're not doing their job properly.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
They open at 11, but workers are there sooner.

You did nothing wrong OP.

How do we know someone wasn't late. We don't know anything could happen. Driver could have been late for all we know.

Usually if you open at 11, you have the employees coming in at 10 to prep the ovens and everything else. You don't just go in at 11.

They tend to come in at 10 in my store. Sometimes they have lots of stuff to prep because of the previous night. Papa John's is probably a lot easier but we don't know. I just tend to give benefit of the doubt in these situations.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I considered this which is why I ordered at 11 . I figured something like that could be going on so I stood calm but after an hour it was like... Wut

This too.

So no manager or any employee is there before 11 for prep? When i worked at dominos there were people there an hour or more before for prep and turning on the ovens..... getting the days dough easily available, prepping toppings below the make line.. and etc etc etc.

online orders for papa johns is also a thing to consider so their prep/oven aka readiness needs to be available as soon as they are 'open'. no "please wait, our ovens are turning on and our pizza technician is making dough!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom