• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Xbox influencers and Ambassadors pulling support over multiplatform rumours

Dr_Ifto

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office
Subjectively. If you have the time to play everything you need that justifies the price. If you don't its not.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Subjectively. If you have the time to play everything you need that justifies the price. If you don't its not.

If I wasn't getting my worth out of the service, I wouldn't continue to subscribe to it.

Everything is subjective. I, for example, don't find subjective worth in owning every game, especially new releases. I buy and resell the games that aren't on game pass that I want to play, or use game fly once every couple of months to play them.

S0ULZB0URNE

Personally I've played more games with my Gamefly rental than I have with Game Pass and it isn't really close.
GF is a better option imo.
I never once even tried GP or the non essential tiers of PS+.
Also turned down the offers they have offered over the years.

These services are bad for the industry.

SegaShack

Screenshot-2024-02-06-132223-1440x831.jpg

Several notable Xbox influencers have publicly withdrawn their support for the brand, following media reports claiming that first-party Xbox games could soon start appearing on PlayStation.

Although not yet officially confirmed, the reports have led to a major backlash within the Xbox community, including from notable Xbox influencers with large followings, who are unhappy that games previously marketed as Xbox exclusives will be made available on other console platforms.

‘Timdog’, another notable Xbox influencer with 82,000 followers – including Spencer, Xbox’s marketing leads and the official Xbox account – made a more dramatic declaration on Monday, streaming a 7-hour Spaces audio discussion on X under the headline “I’m not an Xbox fanboy anymore”.

He later tweeted:

He added:

YouTuber Doc_Dark, a self-proclaimed “console war content creator”, posted a video in which he sang for three minutes about the situation.

Xbox influencer, KidSmoove, another X user followed by Xbox executives, changed his Twitter banner to a logo reading, “Fuck Xbox”.

Elsewhere, some social media users have posted tweets stating that they’re trading in their consoles, with one showing receipts proving they have already done it, despite the reports still being unconfirmed at the time of writing.

In a more disturbing turn unrelated to any of the influencers mentioned in this story, Xbox’s senior media manager shared an image showing a message in which an anonymous user wished him harm over the situation.

This is not only on the community side whomever, reports via MAGG Podcat says sources inside Xbox say , staff are dissatisfied with changes in their compensation structure, particularly the absence of sales bonuses under Xbox's ownership. Xbox does not disclose sales number. This discontent has led to leaks and a sense of dissatisfaction among the staff. Which is why the rumors leaked.

Via VGC

Wow. This is cringe. A long time ago when I was maybe 13 I was a console fanboy for Nintendo but by the time I was 17/18 I realized how dumb it is to be a brand loyalist.

The fact grown adults are trading in their consoles and games to Gamestop to prove a point is so silly and childish.

Exactly my thoughts. I understand they get paid from Xbox somehow but this is ridiculous.

I actually don't think Microsoft cuts them checks, though I could be wrong.

I think they get paid in access, which helps grow their audience. The bigger their audience the more access they get. The more access they get the more beholden they are to Microsoft. The larger their audience get, the more money they make.

It's a pretty deep incentious circle that was tenuous in the best of times, but beyond perilous in the worst of times.

There is a reason most companies use celebrities to endorse their products and not the every day person. When things go left with celebrities, it's pretty easy to cut the cord. The celebrity doesn't really care about the product, and the only risk to the company is a scandal related to the celebrity, which can generally be handled by distancing yourself.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I actually don't think Microsoft cuts them checks, though I could be wrong.

I think they get paid in access, which helps grow their audience. The bigger their audience the more access they get. The more access they get the more beholden they are to Microsoft. The larger their audience get, the more money they make.

It's a pretty deep incentious circle that was tenuous in the best of times, but beyond perilous in the worst of times.

There is a reason most companies use celebrities to endorse their products and not the every day person. When things go left with celebrities, it's pretty easy to cut the cord. The celebrity doesn't really care about the product, and the only risk to the company is a scandal related to the celebrity, which can generally be handled by distancing yourself.
They also get free hardware, games and GP subs.

TheUsual

Gold Member
I may be off base here but do you think Colin is being a bit kind/tact by saying they were all manipulated? That there isn’t a possibility some would go along for their own benefit regardless?
They do talk about that I believe revolving around that they (the influencers) should have known they are being manipulated and just go along with it. I.e., be an influencer and grow your audience and get exposure, but be full aware you're just a free mouthpiece that will be dropped on a dime.
Its the ones that don't get this who are having the meltdowns (and/or some of the influencers going nutso just to get attention).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Expectation:
XBOX IS DEAD! ITZ OVER!

Reality:
Microsoft gets even more richer with the move
Well yeah, that will probably happen. More avenues for revenue.

But no doubt the most tribal zealots they helped curate over the decades with their social interaction, which are the loudest voices in the ether, will view the brand as tarnished or done. They already are doing so. At least the brand as they knew it.

Especially if it's rebranded as Microsoft Games.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
How is that a lie, Game Pass remains the best deal in gaming.

It's only a good deal if you wanted to play a good number of those games on day 1. But so far I've only saved money by not subscribing to Game Pass but by buying the handful of games that looked interesting during a sale. The thing is that 90% of the games I'm interested in are not available on Game Pass. It simply doesn't make sense to spend 120 euro a year on a monthly "mystery package" filled with random games I may or (far more likely) may not like, especially when I'm already playing other games that aren't on Game Pass the vast majority of the time.

Cyberpunkd

How is that a lie, Game Pass remains the best deal in gaming.
It does only if you prioritise quantity over quality and video games is your only hobby (at which point you should do some retrospection).

I have family with kids and ONE sport activity and ONE musical one. I played my PS5 in 2023 for a total of 33 hours, so XB Series with Gamepass would have been a gigantic waste of money.

Solidus_T

It's only a good deal if you wanted to play a good number of those games on day 1. But so far I've only saved money by not subscribing to Game Pass but by buying the handful of games that looked interesting during a sale. The thing is that 90% of the games I'm interested in are not available on Game Pass. It simply doesn't make sense to spend 120 euro a year on a monthly "mystery package" filled with random games I may or (far more likely) may not like, especially when I'm already playing other games that aren't on Game Pass the vast majority of the time.
This is my thought process about it too. A while back, someone told me that it was justified by the then recent release of Vampire Survivors. I had to remind them that the game they were talking about is 5 dollars. It is nice to try a lot of indie games out without ever purchasing them, but even if you were to buy a lot of these games, you would probably end up spending a similar amount of money and at least you would still have them.

The gaslighting after Thursday will be ridiculous

Let’s see who acknowledges:

*Before any PlayStation/Nintendo ports they are already on millions upon millions of devices with PC, mobile, cloud. What kind of return do they expect with their titles on PlayStation and Switch?

* Who will openly question the leadership and their decision making over the years?

*Who will openly mock people over being disappointed with what’s happening?

*Who will refuse to discuss the possibility, despite a likely commitment from Microsoft that they will continue to make hardware, this software move potentially devalues the console in a market of three, when they are already being outsold and dare I say outclassed in the market as it is today. How do you expect to move hardware if it continues to be devalued, why invest in a product that potentially could be dropped from the market due to weaker sales.

* When are more of these Xbox social media people going to act a little honestly and with sincerity ?

Top Bottom