• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did I just screw over the pizza delivery guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubba T

How do we know someone wasn't late. We don't know anything could happen. Driver could have been late for all we know.

When my pizza place was late delivering, they called ahead of time and said there was going to be a delay.

Not to speak for OP, but he probably would of been more understanding had they made a courtesy call. Customer service seems to be a lost art with a lot of these places.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
So no manager or any employee is there before 11 for prep? When i worked at dominos there were people there an hour or more before for prep and turning on the ovens..... getting the days dough easily available, prepping toppings below the make line.. and etc etc etc.

online orders for papa johns is also a thing to consider so their prep/oven aka readiness needs to be available as soon as they are 'open'. no "please wait, our ovens are turning on and our pizza technician is making dough!"

We get there before 11. I didn't work in a fast food pizzeria so once again not sure on the situation they have. The thing I always said was gonna be a little longer then usual.

Spenny

But OP is five minutes away. Why would it take an hour and a half even if the driver had a second order and delivered that one first?
Didn't see that he was only five minutes away. It might have been the inside then. Kitchen workers might not have seen the tag print. This happens every so often. Then they don't see it until the next order.

They also might have fucked up his order and had to remake it.

The most likely scenario to me in this situation seems to be that the opening driver called out or had car troubles and they had a bitch of a time getting another driver to come in.

NeOak

The only thing I've took away from this thread is that OP is too lazy to drive five minutes to get pizza.
Getting to the car can take 10 minutes, 5 minutes leaving the parking lot, 5 minutes drive in one direction, waiting, driving back, 10 minutes parking and going back to the office.

It can end up being 40 minutes.

to be honest, he probably just bullshitted you about the traffic. the order probably wasn't ready because they weren't fully prepped when they opened. shit happens in restaurants sometimes. you did right by the delivery guy for tipping him a few bucks.

next time don't order shitty chain pizza.

norm9

Didn't see that he was only five minutes away. It might have been the inside then. Kitchen workers might not have seen the tag print. This happens every so often. Then they don't see it until the next order.

They also might have fucked up his order and had to remake it.

The most likely scenario to me in this situation seems to be that the opening driver called out or had car troubles and they had a bitch of a time getting another driver to come in.

Seems it would have been easier to pick up the pies himself, even if there wasn't going to be delivery trouble. Just to save himself the tip money.

Lomax

You didn't affect the driver one way or another. If it was his fault then maybe he'll get bitched at, if not, he won't, more than likely they just deleted your order from the system and moved on. It's really not a big deal. He probably went out with three orders and instead of doing yours first, he did it last.

Makonero

I was just worried I may have screwed somebody up right in Christmas season.

Dude, you tipped him. The pizza doesn't come out of his pay. As far as the driver's concerned, it's a win. The pizza place makes too much money for one order to matter.

Likely either the driver wasn't on time when the restaurant opened and the manager took your order anyway anticipating the driver would be there at some point and gave no fucks, or the driver ran personal errands on company time with your delivery in the car. Having spent years in the business I've seen both very common in poorly run restaurants.

Spenny

Seems it would have been easier to pick up the pies himself, even if there wasn't going to be delivery trouble. Just to save himself the tip money.
It would be the sensible thing to do, but people who are close and tip okay are the best thing ever as a driver. Capatilize on your laziness then shit talk you with our managers when we get back to the store.

Make an order every day around the same time and start up a personal friendship with the driver, maybe subtly hint that there is a job opening at your work that he would be perfect for.

In 20 years the two of you will be best friends, long after your wives are dead (of high cholesterol, thats what happens when you eat pizza every day) the two of you will go on great adventures traveling to distant planets delivering pizza to aliens.

papa John's about 5 minutes away from our facility [...] his excuse was that there was heavy traffic.[...]I waited an hour and a half

Yeah no, either the restaurant fucked up and lost your order, or the driver fucked up. Sounds like mostly you screwed yourself and your office by ordering terrible pizza that was cold to boot.

Why do so many people on gaf think that food service and retail workers just get fired left and right for any and all screw ups? His job is fine unless he's been fucking up constantly for a while.

DangerStepp

Pizza Hut once forgot my bread-sticks and left mushrooms that I paid for off of the pizza.

We called: "We're out of mushrooms and I'm gonna have to make those bread-sticks."

Never again.

Symphonia

Banned
Getting to the car can take 10 minutes, 5 minutes leaving the parking lot, 5 minutes drive in one direction, waiting, driving back, 10 minutes parking and going back to the office.

That's one hell of an over-exaggeration.

RedHill

Banned
1 hour long traffic for a place five minutes away? If it was the first order of the day imagine how many more were extremely late. The dude probably got in trouble, but it wasn't because of you lol

RedHill

Banned

What the fuck. In what world does it take that much time to do any of that

Tonky

Sorry but aren't you only supposed to tip for good service? I seriously don't understand why you tipped in this situation.

What the fuck. In what world does it take that much time to do any of that

Well, for me - we have parking garages that requires a badge to get in/out. so that would take me about 3-5 minutes walking from my building to get to my car's location in the garage (luckily i get here early and snag a really close spot to the entrance).

there are about 3 buildings and about 3k total that park here. leaving wouldn't be an issue, but when i come back and find a spot again.. that would be a time sink. more so i would have to go up to the roof level to find parking and then my walk would increase by wahtever it takes walking down 5 levels.

So i think that world does exist when conditions are like mine or worse. Open your mind :)

ZOONAMI

Why would you tip the driver for a cold pizza

Do you open the fucking box and stick your finger into the pizza before tipping a delivery driver?

You don't necessarily know the conditions that made the driver take a long time.

My guess would be he probably had to deliver 4 pizzas and the route he decided on had op as the last stop. There probably was some traffic and it did take an hour and a half to deliver to 4 stops.

To boot the pizza was free in this scenario and you wouldn't fucking tip?

It's a dick move, drivers depend on tips as they are getting paid minimum wage.

Do you open the fucking box and stick your finger into the pizza before tipping a delivery driver?

You don't necessarily know the conditions that made the driver take a long time.

My guess would be he probably had to deliver 4 pizzas and the route he decided on had op as the last stop. There probably was some traffic and it did take an hour and a half to deliver to 4 stops.

Lol I sure as hell aint making minimum wage. $3.83 for me.

Iorv3th

Guy sucks at his job or his manager sucks. Someone deserves to be fired. Why should you care? They took nearly 2 hours to deliver 4 pizzas.

ZOONAMI

Lol I sure as hell aint making minimum wage. $3.83 for me.

Right, or worse than minimum wage. I live in MN and min wage is min wage, tips don't affect it. It's only $6.50 for small employers but pjs would have to pay $8 as they are a large corp.

So yeah folks, tip your service industry folks, they are living on the tips, not their wage.

Does Papa John's use heated delivery bags? If so, this would suggest the pizza was already cold when handed out to the delivery guy.

Tonky

What the driver was saying doesn't add up. The commute should have been <5 minutes, and it was the first delivery of the day. That's already pretty shady, but the fact that the manager called in and told him the pizza was free lends credence to placing the burden of proof on the driver. Tipping them would essentially be positive reinforcement for not doing their job right. "Hey here's a bunch of money for showing up late with a shitty excuse!"

Does that make any sense?

Guy sucks at his job or his manager sucks. Someone deserves to be fired. Why should you care? They took nearly 2 hours to deliver 4 pizzas.
Because someones livelyhood is more important than your fucking pizzas. 1 fuckup and you think someone should be jobless during the holidays? Wtf is wrong with people?

A good driver will want to deliver orders as quickly as possible. Yes, even if they know the customer they're delivering to doesn't tip. The sooner they leave, the faster they take care of the delivery, the sooner they get back for the next order. Waiting and then delivering cold pizzas just to screw over bad tippers is completely moronic.

An opening position is usually pretty good, since most of the time only 1 or 2 drivers work a stretch of several hours. Those driver positions typically aren't handed out to people who just started.

Something else had to have happened. It certainly wasn't "heavy traffic" though.

Koomaster

What probably happened is they had the delivery driver wait for a few orders to be finished before they sent him out. But then he probably decided for whatever reason to not deliver yours first even though you were most likely closer.

Unless he was making a few deliveries beforehand, the heavy traffic line isn't a valid excuse since the store is only 5 min away.

Makonero

A good driver will want to deliver orders as quickly as possible. Yes, even if they know the customer they're delivering to doesn't tip. The sooner they leave, the faster they take care of the delivery, the sooner they get back for the next order. Waiting and then delivering cold pizzas just to screw over bad tippers is completely moronic.

An opening position is usually pretty good, since most of the time only 1 or 2 drivers work a stretch of several hours. Those driver positions typically aren't handed out to people who just started.

Something else had to have happened. It certainly wasn't "heavy traffic" though.

On the other hand, opening a store SUCKS. Way too slow. You get a few orders around lunchtime and then snoresville until closing. Which means, if your manager is mean, lots of cleaning and busywork.

When I was in pizza delivery, I'd gladly take a late shift over opening any day. Those days just dragged on and on.

HardRojo

Is Papa John's in the US THAT bad? I never had any when I was in the US, only had Domino's and Pizza Jerks, which were very good actually. Papa John's is fairly good here in Peru I'd say.

ZOONAMI

What the driver was saying doesn't add up. The commute should have been <5 minutes, and it was the first delivery of the day. That's already pretty shady, but the fact that the manager called in and told him the pizza was free lends credence to placing the burden of proof on the driver. Tipping them would essentially be positive reinforcement for not doing their job right. "Hey here's a bunch of money for showing up late with a shitty excuse!"

Does that make any sense?

No.

First order in the system doesn't mean there weren't 3 other orders that came in online at the same time.

You don't really have enough information to not tip them if they had other stops and traffic was bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom