• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yooka-Laylee launches April 11th, considering Switch version instead of Wii U

DKHF

http://www.playtonicgames.com/yooka-laylee-reptile-rolls-towards-release/

Yooka-Laylee launches April 11th.

New trailer.

Today we can finally confirm that Yooka-Laylee will launch on April 11, 2017 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PC, Mac and Linux, with pre-orders now available at £34.99 / $39.99 / €39.99 for non-Kickstarter backers in both digital and physical formats from all participating stores worldwide!

As an extra special bonus, everyone who pre-orders Yooka-Laylee on PC, Xbox One or PS4 will receive an instant unlock of the Yooka-Laylee Toybox, which offers a taste of the platforming mechanics set to appear in the full game in a self-contained, spoiler free sandbox. We’re also currently looking in to ways we can make the console Toybox available to appropriate backers (we’ll update you on that soon).

On Steam and GOG.com, you’ll also find special Digital Deluxe versions of Yooka-Laylee which include a digital soundtrack and manual / art book.

Kickstarter backers will soon be able to upgrade their pledge to a physical version, but we need a little bit longer to finalise the method. Our priority is to make sure that physical backers receive their game as soon as possible and not weeks late, so we want to make sure we choose the right distribution method before taking your pledges.

Don’t worry: as soon as upgrades are ready we’ll email all backers via Kickstarter.

The Wii U version has been cancelled, Playtonic are working with Nintendo to bring it to Switch.
After many challenging months, we’re finally able to update you on the Wii U version of Yooka-Laylee and announce a number of developments.

The Playtonic team is sad to confirm that despite our best efforts and exploring every possible avenue, we’ve encountered unforeseen technical issues that unfortunately mean it will be impossible for us to release the game on Wii U as initially planned.

Nintendo Switch
Soon to see 80% increase in nonsense puns.
We can however confirm the exciting news that we are now working very closely with Nintendo to look to bring Yooka-Laylee to the upcoming Nintendo Switch. We’re looking forward to exploring the opportunity and will have more details to share early next year.

We’d like to apologise to those affected by this development and offer all Wii U backers the opportunity to move their pledge free-of-charge to any of the versions launching on April 11th (PS4, Xbox One, PC, Mac or Linux) or upgrade to the Nintendo Switch version when we announce further details in 2017.

Information on how backers can change their formats will arrive in January, once we’ve finalised the smoothest possible solution. For more details on our platform change, we’ve prepared a Yooka-Laylee Wii U FAQ page.

The Playtonic team thank you for your continued support and understanding on this issue and hope you look forward to future developments on the Nintendo front. We hope, in the fullness of time, we can make Nintendo platforms a great place to experience Yooka-Laylee – and beyond.

Yessss, can't wait for April 11th!

Edit: new trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNBET707f4s

31534889165_9e934bdba2_z.jpg

Edit 2: Box art

Czi2q1uXAAAeajU.png

Branduil

As much as it sucks for the Wii U owners who want those games, it really makes zero sense for these ongoing kickstarter projects to develop ports for a dead system.

They should offer refunds to anyone who backed the Wii U version, though.

Atheerios

It's not that they are "considering" abandoning the Wii U version. They 100% cancelled the Wii U version.

What they are considering is also releasing it on Switch (but practically confirmed in the PR).

Pappasman

Considering? In their post they said the wii u version is cancelled and they are working with N to get it on the switch. Seems like a done deal to me.

Richie

Title says considering...But that's clearly a confirmation in the second half of the OP.

To which I say..fucking YES YEEEEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!!

Makes sense. I'm super happy this is coming to Switch.

Hopefully they're offering refunds to backers who chose the Wii U game though and aren't interested in another version.

Joqu

Details early next year with info on how to switch in January, so I'm guessing that means Yooka-Laylee'll be at the Switch event. Cool, that's what I wanted to get it on.

Says a bit more than consider though. They pretty much straight up say it's happening

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Hopefully they include full refunds in addition to moving to a different platform.
Seems like they are.

I chose Wii U as my platform. Can I get a refund?

All affected Wii U backers can choose another platform to receive a digital copy of Yooka-Laylee for, at the significant Kickstarter discount of more than 50% on the retail cost (£15 vs. £35). Wii U backers can also choose to wait for updates on the Nintendo Switch early next year.

However, if you would like to discuss a refund please contact us at Kickstarter@Playtonicgames.com.

Playtonic's excuse stands on shaky ground, even if I 100% support their decision to ditch the WiI U version.

The Wii U version was billed as the lead format alongside PC, with Playtonic handling that version while giving the more straightforward XBO and PS4 versions to publisher Team17.

So to encounter technical issues that make it impossible to release the game on the only format Playtonic is targeting internally suggests a Wii U version was never really the focus, and the game was always targeting formats that were powerful enough to run a Unity Engine game as visually ambitious as Yooka Laylee.

We've never seen Wii U footage to date, for instance, it's always been gameplay of the other versions

Kikorin

Not good for who backed Wii U version and have no intention to "upgrade" to Switch, but great news for all future Switch users. I can't wait to play it on Switch!

Not good for who backed Wii U version and have no intention to "upgrade" to Switch, but great news for all future Switch users. I can't wait to play it on Switch!

I mean if you only own a wiiu, don't plan to upgrade to switch, and don't own or plan to get a ps4 or xb1 you fall into an extremely minor niche of the gaming world.

Robin64

Bit of a downer in some ways, but given I want this game on a Nintendo platform (it just feels right) I'll be happy to wait for a decent version rather than having them shoehorn a technical mess on to the poor Wii U.

"Instead of Wii U"? That's not great, I thought the Wii U version was the only version the devs were working on, with the PS4 and Xbox One versions being handled by publisher Team17?

Isn't the PC version the main version the devs are working on? And if this Switch port is real then Team17 can easily do a port job on it.

robotrock

Banned
I wonder if I can change my PS4 copy on kickstarter to a Switch copy?

would be dope

edit: reading their twitter replies. It's confirmed you'll be able to switch your platform to the Switch.

Also, when asked about news of a physical Switch copy, they said "Not yet...more news soon!" I'm hopeful.

khaaan

Pretty sure the PC version is the lead platform.

Isn't the PC version the main version the devs are working on? And if this Switch port is real then Team17 can easily do a port job on it.

Both PC and Wii U.

When asked why the firm was internally handling Wii U over the other platforms, writer Andy Robinson said: “We naturally have so many backers who opted for Wii U. Because of the size of the team, we couldn’t take on all the consoles. You can imagine from a developer stand-point, that porting from PC to PS4 and Xbox One is slightly more straightforward than porting to Wii U.

“I also think it feels right playing it on a Nintendo system to some people.

“But the other versions will be fantastic as well.”

Technical art director Mark Stevenson added: “We wanted to make sure that Wii U gets the right attention. There is a lot of nostalgia around Banjo, Banjo heralds from Rare’s Nintendo’s days, and we are all massive Nintendo fans as well.”

Pretty sure the PC version is the lead platform.

Yeah, you're right - have edited my post to flesh it out. Basically, while they always announced it as a Wii U game and said they were handling that version internally, it's evident that the Wii U was never going to be a good fit for a more visually ambitious Unity engine that's targeting PC as well.

Joqu

Yeah, you're right - have edited my post to flesh it out. Basically, while they always announced it as a Wii U game and said they were handling that version internally, it's evident that the Wii U was never going to be a good fit for a more visually ambitious Unity engine that's targeting PC as well.

Well, I think that's the reason they were going to handle the Wii U version internally in the first place. It wouldn't have been an easy port in comparison.

Not Drake

I doubt there were a lot people who backed the game for a WiiU version, but I think they are handling the situation very well with refunds and all.

Game's gonna be fire BTW.

I'm okay with that. Will definitely get it on Switch then. Portable classic B-K style collectathon goodness. That's definitely a thing I want.

If the game follows the humor and style if the Toy Box they released a few months ago to backers only then this game is going to be very fucking awesome indeed.

I doubt there were a lot people who backed the game for a WiiU version, but I think they are handling the situation very well with refunds and all.

Game's gonna be fire BTW.
I backed for the Wii U version simply to have a rare-esque game on a Nintendo platform, the move to Switch is fine by me.

Top Bottom