• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Yorker: The Best Video Games of 2016

Loudninja

Didnt wont to quote the whole article.

1. The Last Guardian (PlayStation 4)

It seemed too much to hope, this year, that The Last Guardian, long lost in developmental purgatory, would finally be released, and that it would meet fans’ expectations. Yet Fumito Ueda’s third game is his best yet. It tells the affecting tale of a boy and his colossal beast, a pair lost in a lost city, who must work together to heal their wounds and escape the craggy wasteland in which they’re imprisoned. As the beast, named Trico, protects your character from ghoulish kidnappers and deadly falls (how often are we cast as the disempowered in video-game fantasies?), an earnest bond forms, not only between animal and boy but also between animal and player. While most games limp into their final credits, The Last Guardian crescendos gloriously, with an affecting ending that reveals, better than any other, the idiosyncratic power of the medium.

2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt – Blood and Wine (PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One)

The Polish-made game, based on the Polish writer Andrzej Sapkowski’s fantasy novels, came out last year, but it was in 2016 that, through thoughtful tinkering and refinement, it became the best version of itself. In May, the game’s developers released a new chapter, Blood and Wine. You still play as Geralt, a kind of freelance medieval detective-slash-pest-controller, employed to deal with everything from local territorial disputes to troll infestations. The money you earn may be spent on new weapons, armor, potions, or even collectible cards, which can be used in a bar game called Gwent that’s ubiquitously popular in the game’s Northern Kingdoms. But in Blood and Wine, which takes Geralt to the pastoral splendor of the Toussaint region, you’re likely to make a more Gallic sort of investment: renovating your new vineyard estate, repairing beams and tastefully refurnishing the dusty rooms.

3. Clash Royale (Android, iOS)

4. Titanfall 2 (PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One)

5. Rez Infinite (PlayStation 4)

6. Hitman (PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One)

7. Overwatch (PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One)

8. Firewatch (PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One)

9. No Man’s Sky (PC, PlayStation 4)

Honorable Mentions

Abzû (PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One)
Chameleon Run (Android, iOS, Windows Phone)
Dishonored 2 (PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One)
Stephen’s Sausage Roll (PC)
Stardew Valley (Nintendo Switch, PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One)
Tower of Guns (PC, PlayStation 3 and 4, Xbox One)
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End (PlayStation 4)
The Witness (iOS, PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One)
Inside (PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One)
http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/the-best-video-games-of-2016

Cubas

Very interesting list. I can appreciate it, even if I don't fully agree with some choices.

in b4 people crying about blood and wine being there

T-minus 5 minutes before crybaby complaints about popular mobile games, dlc expansions, TLG, and NMS being on here.

Make that 5 seconds

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
TW3 came out this year? Damn feels like forever. Also fuck yeah TLG, the game is so much better than any game released this gen.

Really nice to see more places not having a massive hard on for Uncharted for no real reason. Way more games deserving of recognition.

What are your thoughts on the two games?

It's hard not to associate Clash Royale with how fucked up some of its microtransaction stuff can be, but maybe they've eased up on that stuff since I last paid attention to the game. That being said, even removed from that stuff I don't think it's particularly great.

I like Tower of Guns quite a bit in spite of (and sometimes because of) how messy it is, but it came out over two years ago.

Toxi

Banned
But for those who kept their expectations within the realm of reality, No Man's Sky delivered.
What realm of reality are we even talking about? The game was fucking broken on PC.

Breads

Banned
Didn't play any of those games.

In fact I didn't play many games at all.

I played through the FO4 DLC, I played through DS3 for a few hundred hours, I re-platinumed Bloodborne, Got over 100 hours in Pokemon Moon (20% of it trying to get a shiny Absol), got a lot of Dota in (ar/ardm/ad), I started phantom pain again (mechanically it's superb!).

Although I put in serious time for gaming it was mostly for decompressing after long work days. 2 months of straight travelling didn't help. Although I was able to work I don't have a gaming laptop and I didn't lug around a PS4.

I think I will keep this list handy though - I don't want to miss out on the gems.

Very nice list. Haven't tried (or even really looked at) Titanfall 2, but its appearance on many quality end-of-the-year lists has got me interested.

What realm of reality are we even talking about? The game was fucking broken on PC.

Based on what I see on Twitch, that's true for a lot of PC games at launch.

mango drank

The New Yorker .................................. and videogames?

I want to know what Martha Stewart's favorites were, too.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Despite all the initial controversy, it's interesting to see that No Man's Sky has found its way onto a lot of "Best of 2016" lists.

Wow to Tower of Guns. I spent maybe three hours with it and really didn't like it. I didn't think that the shooting was particularly fun and the progression up the tower was a slog - movement in the game wasn't enjoyable or smooth. That's one I didn't expect to see on any lists.

soultron

Banned
2016 was overflowing with good stuff. That's a really solid list, and even past the honourable mentions there's tonnes of stuff that's great too.

Oh fuck, I forgot Clash Royale came out this year. Only spent a couple weeks with it before deleting it for my own sanity, but that was a fun two weeks.

I didn't realize the goal of a personal GOTY list was to choose as many surprise games as possible. You do know the idea is to choose the best games?
If you choose the standard top 10 that were the obvious choices, you're playing it safe.

If you don't, you're writing a clickbait article.

jwhit28

I'm so happy CD Projekt RED is being rewarded critically for going the classic expansion route instead of going with a larger number of bite sized add-on DLC.

LoveCake

Overwatch and Firewatch for me on this list, but No Man's Sky even with the updates?

Has the game been that improved by the updates, I liked the sound of it when it was announced, I really didn't when it was released and nothing I have seen has changed my mind, glad to see it's found an audience, Interesting it's making some top ten list though.

Top Bottom