• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Yorker: The Best Video Games of 2016

Gamezone

Gold Member
No Man`s Sky, really? It makes me wonder of these lists are created out of pure hype. This game isn`t much better than most common early access games.

This is a pretty solid list.

No Man's Sky makes me scratch my head a little bit. Having played the game I felt it was lifeless, boring, buggy and repetitive as hell. But to each there own.

I actually like NMS quite a bit because I value exploration as a mechanic above all other mechanics in many genres. It is repetitive, but that's comforting. I can just land on a planet, mine some stuff, craft some other stuff, chart the planet, and do it again. It's a nice way to come down from a long day. It's like the video game version of knitting a really long scarf, actually. I can pick it up and put it down at any point, and it's a no-stress deal.

spekkeh

Banned
No Man`s Sky, really? It makes me wonder of these lists are created out of pure hype. This game isn`t much better than most common early access games.
Parkin usually likes games that do something differently. I'm probably going to put NMS on my list too. Rather have a game shoot for the stars and fail than be very competent at something familiar.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
No Dark Souls 3? No Uncharted 4?

NMS is on the list though........

Fail.

No DOOM means FAIL imo
Makes me happy that half the posts in these goty threads are very rational about what are obviously subjective opinions.

But some of these posts are almost like walking into someone's house, and complaining about the way they've arranged their furniture. "You put the couch next to the window? Fail!"

wildfire

Banned
Pure hype seven months later?

The number of people who stopped playing it so soon after purchasing it was more severe than any game released this year.

It deservedly calls into question the ability of these list makers who have failed to explain what makes the game goty worthy.

Even among those who didn't care to get a refund it's not like they didn't end up having negative feelings towards this game.

This game isn't a trendsetter one lister claims. This games first moments of play when you explore the first 3 to 4 planets before you notice the seems really puts into question of it deserves to be ranked so highly. A game that starts out great but falls flat in the middle and end of your play through is really tough to sell as a game worth considering.

And that's what these lists ate partially about.

Goty lists are our way to raise awareness of games others missed.

Clash Royals and Dagger all sound interesting even with the negatives people have brought.

NMS steam stats alone tell me it would be a waste of my or my friends time to consider this game.

But I don't even need that. I've followed the game closely and once professional reviews came out I knew better than to invest my time in a game that would only be good for a few hours.

^^ the fact you had to type all that because someone wasn't disappointed with the game like everyone else says alot about how these threads go every single time

Even though I have absolutely no problem with people putting No Man's Sky on their lists, I do have to agree with those that say if you're going to have it in your Top 10, at least explain why. Every time I see NMS on a list, it reads something like this: "No Man's Sky was overhyped. It ended up disappointing a lot of people. But if you went in with your expectations in check, it delivered". Ok. But how. Explain why you liked it! It almost seems like the game is being included as a sort of apology to Hello Games for all the crap they've received from the community.

Otherwise, it's totally fine that someone enjoyed the game. I just would like to understand the reasons behind that enjoyment.

Simon Parkin is good people though. Always enjoy his articles.

antitrop

Clash Royale was fun on my lunch breaks for about a week, and then I fucking hated it.

It's the least I've enjoyed any Supercell game.

Top Bottom