• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Yorker: The Best Video Games of 2016

The New Yorker .................................. and videogames?

I want to know what Martha Stewart's favorites were, too.

Simon Parkin has written a praised book about games and writes - among other places - for Edge and Eurogamer. Easily one of the best ganing writers we have.

And yes, The Last Guardian is the game we need right now. A game about compassion, caring for others and bonding with those who speak a different language, all comunicated through gameplay mechanics in a time that isn't exactly humanity's finest hour is something to be cherished.

There were many games that played well this year, but this - like Udea's other works - is a work of art we'll remember for decades to come.

RexNovis

Banned
I see we still aren't to the point where someone can say they like No Man's Sky without getting a heaping load of shit posts attacking or dismissing them. *Sigh* People have different tastes in games not everyone needs to like the same things you like.

nampad

Clash Royale deserves to be no. 1 but hats off to The New Yorker to at least even list it.
You can play it as a F2P gamer perfectly well except when you want to be on top of the ladder, which isn't saying much as the real competition is in tournaments.

edbrat

My hope that Alienation will be remembered in these games of 2016 lists is looking increasingly forlorn. Fine... TOTALLY FUCKING FINE.

No mans sky. Lame. No doom, lame. No The Witness in numbered slot, lame.

The problem with the list is that it was built with an agenda and it's explicitly called out. If you liked fighting games more than everything else, then pick fighting games. He picked games he liked less then others, because they were good games that fit the area he wanted to focus on. Don't call it a best of year list. Call it the best games for xyz list

Sanctuary

Call me in exactly a year from now when we can actually get a real list. There are some decent games on that list sure, but if those are what's considered "the best" of 2016, it just shows how truly poverty level this year really was.

Shai-Tan

Banned
My hope that Alienation will be remembered in these games of 2016 lists is looking increasingly forlorn. Fine... TOTALLY FUCKING FINE.

I bought that on sale and have been playing it a bit. My feeling so far has been meh and would rather be playing Enter the Gungeon. It gets better beyond the first few hours?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

wildfire

Banned
New Yorker is the 3rd who attempts to justify including No Man's Sky on a game of the year list and they succeed while still failing.

They succeed in the sense that I have no trouble agreeing with their write up.

They fail in talking up what makes the game good.

In every other game I get a sense of why they look at it so highly even among those i haven't played.

When it comes to NMS though they spend half their write up commenting on how it got a bad reputation. In the last half they say if you manage expectations NMS delivered but they don't go into what your expectations could have been to really enjoy this game.

Maybe on the 4th list someone will finally justify what they got out of it.

spekkeh

Banned
Simon Parkin's list is always my favorite. This one seems a bit pedestrian (though the inclusion of Clash Royal still has me scratching my head). But it further highlights for me that this was a bit of an intermediate year, where nothing really stood out. Well TLG maybe if you can look past the controls and some of the level design.

Memnoch

Just about to post it. I understand what it does well, I don't understand how it stands above others even it's respective genre.
I played through Firewatch but it is a completely forgettable game. Not very good in my opinion.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

The problem with the list is that it was built with an agenda and it's explicitly called out. If you liked fighting games more than everything else, then pick fighting games. He picked games he liked less then others, because they were good games that fit the area he wanted to focus on. Don't call it a best of year list. Call it the best games for xyz list

What the fuck are you even saying?

Call me in exactly a year from now when we can actually get a real list. There are some decent games on that list sure, but if those are what's considered "the best" of 2016, it just shows how truly poverty level this year really was.

And I'll repeat what the fuck are you even saying?

I swear people going through some amazing mental gymnastics to confirm their own biases in these GOTY lists. Agree with a list and its objective and accurate, disagree and its click bait or contrarion or a sign this year was terrible in gaming.

Fisty

Pretty damn good list imo, I wish I could finish TLG, but I wanted to try out Stardew Valley and got hooked like a damn trout.

Completely agree with NMS's placement as well, very glad to see it get some recognition for what it accomplished.

Humdinger

Several of the best-reviewed games of the year are missing (e.g., Uncharted 4, The Witness, Inside), and in their place are some very questionable choices, imo (e.g., No Man's Sky, Firewatch).

No accounting for taste, I guess.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
The New Yorker .................................. and videogames?

I want to know what Martha Stewart's favorites were, too.

The New Yorker has had very good articles on video games recently.

TheFatMan

This is a pretty solid list.

No Man's Sky makes me scratch my head a little bit. Having played the game I felt it was lifeless, boring, buggy and repetitive as hell. But to each there own.

sonicmj1

So as someone who had a torrid two week love affair with Clash Royale, and as someone who generally respects that GOTY lists are personal choices, I really have a problem with putting it on a GOTY list.

The thing I'm always skeptical about with F2P titles is how they manipulate people's psychology to drive monetization. Most games do this through Skinner box stuff (and Clash is no exception), but Clash Royale also works off negativity. Your advancement and ability to get more cards is tied to your ability to win repeatedly. Your ability to win is tied to your skill, but also to the level of your cards. You always know when your opponent has better stuff than you do. If you lose your way out of a ranking tier, you can't open more units of that level from chests. You need to win to get chests, but every time you lose to someone who has invested more than you, you can see all of their overleveled cards as they spam laughing king emoticons at your face. It's a game that can feel very, very unfair.

But losing is meant to suck, because if you're mad you're more likely to feel the need to invest in the game. Supercell is so committed to this that they originally made it impossible to mute communication from your opponents, because they want to "evoke strong emotions". Apparently they changed their mind about this recently, which I didn't know until just now because I quit the game and uninstalled it from my phone months ago.

The battles are designed really well. They're both simple to play and surprisingly deep. But I bailed on it because I realized I was structuring my life around when my chests could open, just so I could have a little fun sometimes and get really pissed off the rest of the time. If the price I have to pay for a game being free is a design structured around introducing negativity into my life, that's a shitty tradeoff. Especially for a list built "with an eye toward the cathartic, the purifying, and even, at times, the edifying."

Granjinha

with an agenda lol

so much nonsense.

Top Bottom