• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen at $141 million of funding.

Tagyhag

I really REALLY hope it lives up to its monumental expectations.

You wouldn't need another space sim for a loooong time.

Wow that's amazing!

I hope the best for this game, the full release is going to be incredible even if it doesn't hit all of the goals at the start!

KHlover

Banned
It's a race against feature creep. It won't run out of money or time, but with each year the feature count seems to increase.

nynt9

I mean, the amount of money people paid them doesn't necessarily equal the budget of the game. Micro transactions are an open ended way of people paying the devs, but we don't know how much of that is their actual development budget and how much is profit/reserved for post release content.

wow. I just realized that Microsoft has 2 cancelled games on the top 11 "biggest devolpment cost" list.

Halo MMO and Fable Legends

bosseye

It seems almost Sisyphean. What I've seen of it looks incredible and I really hope it turns out well for everyone who is invested (financially/emotionally) in it, but it does seem to be an endless boulder rolling task at this stage.

It's a race against feature creep. It won't run out of money or time, but with each year the feature count seems to increase.

I'm not so convinced about that. Considering that they're making 3-4 games on that money, and how it seems to be continuously delayed, there's probably quite good chances for them to blow all that money before the game is in a state to be released.

I hope they do succeed, but I'm also very glad to not have put any money into the campaign.

Athreous

Worried that it will be the sam flop that No man's sky was...

What's the point of getting so much money if you don't have good devs to build the game?

Hip Hop

Are these devs even good?

I wouldn't dare give out money on just some promise alone, you need to have the credentials in order for me to trust you.

Why won't they run out of money? I think that's a very real risk. If I had to bet, I'd wager this game will go down as a huge disaster.

Eolz

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-citizen-passes-141-million-as-dev-teases-2017/1100-6446716/

one of the most expensive games ever made at this point:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_video_games_to_develop

2nd highest development budget ever, behind only Star Wars: The Old Republic ($200m). Even stuff like GTA5 didn't cost as much as Star Citizen.

Didn't we agree that the Wikipedia list was probably misleading last time? Missing a lot of games, a lot of budgets are educated guesses, etc.

It's not made yet. Anyway it's quite dubious achievement. Throughout the years of development I haven't seen people praising actual gameplay. Could be No Man's Sky all over again.

Yeah, that's pretty suspicious to say the least. And maybe it's my perception, but these threads always turn pretty hostile as some people seem to identify with the project a little more than you would expect.

jrcbandit

Minus my $110. I got a refund because I primarily wanted Squadron 42 which probably isn't coming until 2018 or 2019 with all this feature creep. However, I didn't pay close enough attention to my account to know if I got all my money back since they close your account and can't look at it (my account said something about ~$200, yet I only got $110 back, but I don't remember spending nearly 200 ;p). So be careful about that, as I did an initial pledge but also bought a couple of upgrades over the years and stupid paypal wont let me search more than a year back.

Good god Star Wars the Old Republic had a 200 million budget? The fuck??

Where did all that money go? It has nothing to show for it.

xealo

Good god Star Wars the Old Republic had a 200 million budget? The fuck??

Where did all that money go? It has nothing to show for it.

The entire game is voice acted, has a separate main quest path for each class + companions with story and voicing and so on. 16 different player character voice actors, plus an absolute ton of content cause MMO. It's no wonder it took that much to create.

iHaunter

Based on their spending. It looks like they have about 28% - 33% extra saved from every year to roll over for more time.

I would say I hope they release the game with 80% of the features but polished, then just roll them out over-time.

i have a feeling star citizen'll be average.

It literally can't be average, not with what they want to do.

It'll either be amazing or fail.

Edit: People need to understand money doesn't equal MAGICAL development time. Just because they have $141,000,000 doesn't mean that's how much the development has cost up to this point. That's a very VERY important distinction.

Hip Hop

Who's giving all this money to them anyway?

I'm beginning to think some outside companies are pouring in the money.

Eolz

Worried that it will be the sam flop that No man's sky was...

What's the point of getting so much money if you don't have good devs to build the game?

I wouldn't dare give out money on just some promise alone, you need to have the credentials in order for me to trust you.

Well, outside of the "classic" names (Chris Roberts, Erin Roberts, Tony Zurovec amongst others), the design director (Todd Papy) was one of the directors of GoW3 and Ascension, there's a lot of people from Crytek (including some like Sean Tracy, Hannes Appell, Marco Corbetta... and a ton more) and Free Radical before it became Crytek UK, people from TT games (the lego games), Ubisoft, Frontier, etc.
It's not some random people making a game, or MN9's case. There's a lot of experienced people on board, with some excellent games behind them.

Where exactly is all this money coming from? Crowdfunding can't account for all of this?

All of it is crowdfunding.

The entire game is voice acted, has a separate main quest path for each class + companions with story and voicing and so on. 16 different player character voice actors, plus an absolute ton of content cause MMO. It's no wonder it took that much to create.

Eh, I'm aware of the fully voiced story and all, but it's not THAT expensive to do. Definitely not a "no wonder" situation if the only thing you can point at is voice acting.

i-Lo

They are amalgamating various genres, advancing streaming technology, animating many aspects that haven't been done before, hiring big name hollywood actors for voice work and the director, from what I recall, likes things done his way when it comes to most aspects of the projects.

Personally, I will perhaps never play the game unless it comes out on Scorpio or XB2 or PS4 or 5 but given their gigantic ambition, I can see it as being a potential milestone of a game.

Kyougar

- Chris Roberts who made Wing Commander, Starlancer and Freelancer (not actively), so has a bunch of experience in game design and probably has some old companions from those times working on it
- Andy Serkis (Gollum actor) with his motion capture studio that worked on the lord of the rings and several other motion capture films
- a bunch of Crytek guys that worked on the Crytek engine
- and several well known actors for the sologame part

xealo

Eh, I'm aware of the fully voiced story and all, but it's not THAT expensive to do. Definitely not a "no wonder" situation if the only thing you can point at is voice acting.

It's an MMO. Compared to the amount of content your average game has put into it SWTOR is absolutely staggering. They're not cheap to produce.

Voice acting is very expensive, especially if we're talking about a big project like an MMO.

Look at FFXIV, only about 5% of that game has scenes that have voice acting. The rest of its story is all text boxes.

ChouGoku

If this comes to ps5 with VR.......

banderas.png

Ehh I feel like they are making some incredibly big feature creep mistake and in the end game will be released in half finished state where everything works only partially.

KKRT00

Todd Pappy, Chris and Eric Roberts, Tony Zurovec, Crytek's core engine team, Sean Tracy.
They have people from ILM, Blizzard, ND and many other studios.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This will be NMS times 141 million.

King_Moc

Banned
Impossible, I am optimistic but a ps5 will never have the same power as a Gtx 1080.

What makes you say that? PS4 Pro just launched with the same grunt as the one year old 970 (may have been more actually), why wouldn't a hypothetical PS5 beat the then 3+ year old 1080?

fester

Banned

Which is what's pissing me off. When the campaign first kicked off, the description was everything I wanted. I never asked for all the extra shit and now it's putting the original game that I backed at risk.

spekkeh

Banned
All the money for pledged into SC goes into the development.

Unless you are talking about the other games on that list?
I doubt SC reached 141M from pledges. More like from selling a ton of $5000 space ships. Calling all that money budget is like saying GTA has a $2 billion budget.

Top Bottom