• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen at $141 million of funding.

Who's giving all this money to them anyway?

I'm beginning to think some outside companies are pouring in the money.

Thats my theory too. Some big whales are financing this game.

There are 1.7 million Star Citizens

...yet if you follow their official Social Media channels, check comment sections and forum post...:

Youtube 270k subscribers,in the last 30 days most watched video had 189k views.
Twitter 67k followers
Instagram 9k followers
Facebook 139k followers and 142k people liked their page
Forums is not NeoGAF

Star Citizen population keeps on rising yet social media participation does not varied much over the years.

I don´t think 3.0 is coming anytime soon (>december). Hope that I am wrong.

CSJ

Huh? They don't have constant iterations of playable builds (partly because they still don't have a working patch system).

I think what I mean for constant wasn't as literal as you took it, sorry.
Not so often, but they do a lot of builds.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
This game is truly fascinating.

I very much doubt that I will ever play it but just the potential of it being either the greatest of all time or the most disastrous is just fascinating to see.

Spuck-uk

Banned
They should just go 100% laser focus on the single player SQ42 and get that out. Let the revenue and good word of mouth (assuming it's good) from the SP bring in more revenue for the giant scoped MMO they're trying to create.

100% they should be doing this. One of the definite issues in development is they seem to be trying to do everything, all at the same time, then somehow cramming it all together.

elyetis

Jesus Christ this game still needs another year and change before it releases?
We don't really know when it comes to the single player/SQ42 part. It could be released this year... maybe.
But the mmo part will take more than a year, just based on the last estimates given to us by Chris Roberts the next 5 patch ( from 3.0 to 4.0 ) will need 2-3 month between each of them. That alone put us at best to Q4 2017 or Q1 2018 ( but there will be delay just as always ).
At that point we will be at patch 4.0, which introduce travel to multiple star system. It is likely that at this point the game will still need at the very least a year of content creation and polishing.
Even if people like to say that content creation will get faster and faster as the tool get ready, I still doubt they can make enough content not to feel pretty barebone for a release earlier than 2020 ( and even then I have my doubt it would be the initale promise of 100 star system now that they also need to work the planetary aspect ).

dumbo

I think what I mean for constant wasn't as literal as you took it, sorry.
Not so often, but they do a lot of builds.

They *used* to produce a fair number of builds (around 1 per month?), but in the past 6 months there have been 2 patches.
http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Patch_Notes

Looking at the list, CIG switched from continuous patching, to large updates and a few patches to 'fix major issues' with the updates. But (now) they are not producing a lot of builds by any stretch of the imagination.

There's a pretty graph someone posted on reddit that shows this:
http://imgur.com/ysvlGp2

This game is truly fascinating.

I very much doubt that I will ever play it but just the potential of it being either the greatest of all time or the most disastrous is just fascinating to see.

I get the feeling it will be a very good game, probably win some GOTY awards, but that a lot of the more vocal backers (and the type of backers spending hundreds of dollars or more) are expecting more than just a game. I'm worried a lot of people will be disappointed when it releases, no matter how well it performs as a game, specifically because it's just a game. It will get repetitive, and there will be newer and fancier looking games in development as soon as it releases.

As a $40 Kickstarter backer, I'm very excited about playing it at launch (not interested in the beta, or in posting on their forums), but also very concerned about some of the expectations the more devoted fans are expressing.

Spuck-uk

Banned
tbh i don't wanna even own a ship, i'd rather be like a security guard or soldier on one of those megaship thingos

That was one thing I wondered about. See all the whales buying these massive ships that take ten crewmembers or whatever. Who is actually going to want to be crewman #9 just..sitting around 90% of the time doing nothing, when they could just go and get their own ship?

AmyS

Impossible, I am optimistic but a ps5 will never have the same power as a Gtx 1080.

PS5 will be at a minimum, more powerful than GTX 1080 and at least twice as powerful as Scorpio, even if it were to launch at the end of 2019.

If PS5 launches in 2020-2021, even more so.

Chipopo

Banned
Jesus Christ this game still needs another year and change before it releases?

evD9oy4.jpg

Top Bottom