• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch will launch with no video apps, being considered for future

Vashetti

Banned
The Nintendo Switch won't include any video apps upon its 3rd March launch.

The storied Kyoto-based company confirmed this information in a statement to Kotaku. "All of our efforts have gone toward making the Nintendo Switch system an amazing dedicated video game platform, so it will not support any video-streaming services at launch," Nintendo said. "However, support for video-streaming services is being considered for a future update."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-20-nintendo-switch-wont-have-any-video-apps-at-launch

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-answers-and-avoids-our-switch-questions-1791402953

Dystify

For me personally that's a non-issue. I already have enough devices where I can use these services. Others may disagree though.

Edit: There's a very similar topic about this already, but it's only about Netflix.

Kuro

I'm sure it will come eventually but very strange this isn't available at launch. How many people does Nintendo have on the system's OS?

So you have a brand new portable system but you'll need a seperate device(s) for voice chat, streaming video, and who knows what else at this point.

Effect

I take that as meaning they've made a decision, they're not still thinking about it, but do not want to talk about it now.

Trojan

I think video apps are overrated for new devices given how ubiquitous they are. I'm not sure this makes much of a difference for those buying the Switch.

They really need to get on that... apps as simple as Netflix and YouTube could sway a potential iPad owner to become a Switch owner. I know I definitely wouldn't buy an iPad if my Switch could do the same stuff but also be projected onto a screen.

th4tguy

They want you to use an app on your phone for multiplayer stuff. Next it'll be an app on your phone for video player stuff. **Think chrome cast type streaming**

Probably don't want to leave a bad impression with battery life when it barely makes it through a movie.
Video playback is probably the best case for the switch. It's based on mobile tech and should have a video decode block onboard. I'd guess 5 or 6 hours battery life. Much better than gaming.

n0razi

What I dont get is that it has a beefed up SoC from the nvidia shield which does 4K HDR output but this doesnt... I mean not even for games but for media consumption. Its like the Wii all over again where lots of people were using it as a Netflix box until they got 1080p TVs

Petrae

Where everyone else understands the convenience and importance of convergence, Nintendo is still partying like it's 1989 and trying to go with a dedicated video game-only platform.

$300 just to play video games is a price only the hardcore will pay.

Switch not launching with Netflix: Huge mistake Nintendo. This would have swayed tablet/laptop/smart TV owners over
If Switch had launched with Netflix: Why would I want to watch on a 720p screen when I can watch on my tablet/laptop/smart TV?

Admit it, some of y'all are just looking for something to complain about

shiyrley

Banned
So you have a brand new portable system but you'll need a seperate device(s) for voice chat, streaming video, and who knows what else at this point.
So Nintendo is launching this new gaming system but apparently I need a separate machine to keep my food cold? Fuck this.

I understand the voice chat thing, that sucks, but people are acting as if this was supposed to be an Android tablet or something lol. If they can't have Netflix for launch then whatever, I want this for games, Netflix is a bonus

Kssio_Aug

Switch is probably the most stripped out console release I can remember. Expensive and carries absolutely nothing in the package... no basic features such as matchamaking and voice chat, not a very interesting gaming library for day 1, no standard video apps that are pretty much on all devices nowadays. I can't really understand what Nintendo is expecting.

Loudninja

Switch not launching with Netflix: Huge mistake Nintendo. This would have swayed tablet/laptop/smart TV owners over
If Switch had launched with Netflix: Why would I want to watch on a 720p screen when I can watch on my tablet/laptop/smart TV?

Or people just want Netflix.

I mean maybe some people would like jumping from a Switch game to netflix on one single device.

azyless

Literally no one would have complained about a feature that doesn't affect them in any way being present.

True Fire

Nintendo Switch: You Can Use That Stuff on Your Phone™

I think this is one of Nintendo's smarter plans. They half-assed everything on the 3DS and Wii U and it got them nowhere. They might as well focus exclusively on what they're good at, rather than failing at staying up-to-date with the industry.

spelen

hmm I feel like it should at least have twitch and youtube...also doesn't the switch have a streaming feature?? assuming this is the case wouldn't it be smart for Nintendo to provide switch users with an app that allows them to view theses streams?? oh well still buying the console haha

Coda

Is it weird or bad to say that I literally don't care at all about video apps such as Netflix and HBO Go to be on the Switch? Game consoles feel a lot more like game consoles when that stuff used to not be on them. I already have a Note 4 which has a nicer screen and my PS4/PC to watch videos on.

Now a native (built into the OS almost) type of YouTube and Twitch app would obviously be really cool so I'd like to see something like that in the future.

jdmonmou

It's obvious that Nintendo wasn't ready to release the Switch in Q1 but had to so they could release this fiscal year and not piss off shareholders. This thing is going to flop so hard.

Top Bottom