• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch will launch with no video apps, being considered for future

Guessing they didn't want to give out dev kits to those companies? It doesn't affect me to much, but still feel like this is one of Nintendo's mistakes.

VanWinkle

3DS didn't have Netflix at launch
Wii didn't have Netflix at launch
Wii U didn't have some streaming apps at launch (source)

You are overreacting too much. Those are just apps that can be released on the Nintendo eShop whenever they're ready. The same applies for the browser. They will come.

I think it's more reasonable to expect Netflix and others services out of a device releasing in 2017 than one releasing in 2011 or 2006 (before Netflix even had instant streaming). Wii U had Netflix, and a few others if I recall, so yeah.

It's really not.
You don't know that. It's going to sell to the Nintendo hardcore, just like the Wii U. I see nothing about it that will pull in the more general gaming audience or the casual/family market.

It may get the dedicated handheld market but as it is not priced for that market, it may be an uphill climb.

Unless you are totally blind, there are signs aplenty that are concerning. The Switch is not a slamdunk.

ngower

I don't care because I almost certainly wouldn't use these apps. If I'm on the go I'm not using Netflix, and if I'm at home I have like forty devices I can use. The only time I could see myself wanting to use these services is on a flight, but then I'd have to pay for wi-fi that likely wouldn't be great for streaming anyway.

That said, I can see why people would like the option and I'm almost certain that the Switch is going to get these apps in due time.

I'm moreso shocked that there's no way to access large gaming channels like Twitch, Youtube, or even GAF on it. Between that and the online needing a smartphone app to be really useful, I don't think it'll be a good present for my little brother who's a Splatoon and Minecraft fanatic until they fix a lot of problems.

I'm kind of shocked Nintendo is pissing up their pool like that.

Durden77

Literally no one would have complained about a feature that doesn't affect them in any way being present.

Not defending this but....do you know what forum you're on?

It' call NeoGAF, and people like to complain on it.

I 100% guarantee someone here would've complained in the exact manner that they described.

notaskwid

Them saying "being considered" instead of "they will come" is really disorienting.
Or maybe it means it'll be available as part of their paid online service lol.

Petrae

Nintendo now making the electronics with the worst feature sets on the market. Apart from Leapfrog and maybe some of those smart-fridges?

I can already see parent's exasperated eyes when kids tell them they have to have both the tablet and this new heavy Switch thing with them on the trip to still watch shows and stuff.

It's like this tired ol' circus elephant that doesn't have what it takes to do the shows no more.

If I was that parent, I'd refuse to buy the Switch for my kids if they already had a tablet. Kids lose/break stuff as it is, plus tablets can already play games as well as perform a myriad of other tasks. Switch is an expensive one-trick pony.

I'm moreso shocked that there's no way to access large gaming channels like Twitch, Youtube, or even GAF on it. Between that and the online needing a smartphone app to be really useful, I don't think it'll be a good present for my little brother who's a Splatoon and Minecraft fanatic until they fix a lot of problems.

I'm kind of shocked Nintendo is pissing up their pool like that.

Yea, because your brother is likely hurting for devices that access youtube and twitch.

sappyday

This doesn't affect me but this should be a standard by now. I can't think of any media device out now that doesn't at least have netflix

If I was that parent, I'd refuse to buy the Switch for my kids if they already had a tablet. Kids lose/break stuff as it is, plus tablets can already play games as well as perform a myriad of other tasks. Switch is an expensive one-trick pony.

I think I see more posts from people putting themselves in the roles of parents or little kids, than I see from actual parents and (13+) little kids

III-V

Not really a big surprise, their OS is not even fully baked yet, thats why it has not been seen. Its clear that they are rushing to get Switch out in March for quarters end.

So Nintendo is launching this new gaming system but apparently I need a separate machine to keep my food cold? Fuck this.

I understand the voice chat thing, that sucks, but people are acting as if this was supposed to be an Android tablet or something lol. If they can't have Netflix for launch then whatever, I want this for games, Netflix is a bonus

People don't expect a Switch to keep food cold. No other like products competing with Switch on the market do that.

On the other hand, they all do run the Netflix app.

PS4 has become my entertainment hub. Game on it, watch TV through Vue, use Prime Video on it, it's been good.

Hopefully the apps make their way to the console.

Toparaman

Banned
Stuff like this, paid online, expensive accessories, etc. is going to be a deal-breaker for parents, methinks.

Yea, because your brother is likely hurting for devices that access youtube and twitch.

I don't think a lot of people are going to be willing to carry both a tablet/laptop and a Switch with them.

Geez, this feels like Nintendo's going a little backwards. I understand they want to be seen as a gaming machine first and foremost, but that doesn't mean they need to skimp out on multimedia options. That's what Sony wanted with the PS4/Pro and look at their sales numbers. You take care of your customers and give them options and they'll take care of you.

I think it'd be funny if either Sony or MS tease Nintendo about their reliance on smartphones for basic features when their consoles support them natively.

This is a niche feature. While im sure there are some poeple who will be in a position where the Switch is the only device they can use in a certain situation, with streaming boxes / smartphones / tablets all having this ability this doesnt seem like it was (or in my opinion should have been) a priority. Nintendo is clearly rushing the Switch out a bit before its truely ready (software wise), I dont blame them one bit for not focusing on this area.

Kirye

It's dumb but it's fine for now, I have enough devices that can run Netflix and I never use it on the go anyway.

They should release the apps sometime this year though.

jdmonmou

This is a niche feature. While im sure there are some poeple who will be in a position where the Switch is the only device they can use in a certain situation, with streaming boxes / smartphones / tablets all having this ability this doesnt seem like it was (or in my opinion should have been) a priority. Nintendo is clearly rushing the Switch out a bit before its truely ready (software wise), I dont blame them one bit for not focusing on this area.

It's hard to overcome a bad first impression. Ask Microsoft with the Xbox One.

My nephew is always on my sisters iPad playing games, watching Netflix and YouTube. If Nintendo wants that market, they need to offer services like that.

Their entire vision and marketing for this device seems all over the place. They're trying to appeal to everyone but might end up appealing to nobody.

Not saying I care or not whether I can watch Netflix on my Switch. I have a tablet, and consoles, and a computer.

But what I dont understand is the drawback from Nintendos perspective on having these apps on Switch. Its minimal effort to have these. I would imagine these streaming services do most of the devleopment work on their own, right? If its their app?

So, its not a huge deal, I just dont understand why Nintendo seems to actively not care about them.

NimbusD

Honestly this is the last straw for pulling the plug on my preorder. Does it affect me that much? No, but between this and the online and cell phone shit. The lack of miiverse or streetpass...

to me it just shows that outside of a handful of games and the hardware itself, Nintendo doesnt know what the hell they're doing.

Of course they're going to fix all the online shit that people hate eventually, of course they'll add video stuff later and of course they'll fix any sort of storage issues later.

But they didn't have the forethought to just get ubiquitous apps on their platform? What else is lacking that is completely obvious and how long do we have to wait for the fixes?

I got burned by the wii u and nintendo moving at a glacial pace, I was willing to be forgiving for the Switch, especially since I thought nintendo would be more unified as a company with the hybrid concept incorporating all of the elements of Nintendo's publishing efforts... but they aren't even doing that. They're still pushing the 3ds hard and the resources that could go to fine tuning the switch and bringing the portable games that a portable home console deserves and would help fill the early gaps that have plagued them for over a decade.... Again. it's a lack of forethought. Or a lack of commitment. It's lacking for sure.

I think the issue is that his brother, instead of using the Switch that he is currently using to play a game, will now have to swap to a different device to watch his favorite media. This is a minor inconvenience if you're at home connected to your TV, but it is still inconvenient. On the go, however, he now needs to bring another device with him. He can use his phone, of course, but that's potentially not as good as a larger screen with a kickstand (resolution aside) which he already has with him.

Basically this console missing features found in literally every other option is not a good look. Other options are available, but I'm not sure how that invalidates the fact that it's inconvenient.

finalflame

Gold Member
I have at least 9 other devices with access to all my streaming services. I don't give a single flying fuck whether my 5th game console has it or not.

SexyFish

Banned
For younger kids I could see the Switch becoming a tablet/game device hybrid, which would be cool. I'm positive it will get a YouTube and Netflix app in the future. Hopefully that rumor of no internet browser is false.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Netflix is a niche feature. What in the world...

Youtube and Twitch too. Niches everywhere.

"Check out the Smash Brothers Switch tournament live this year at EVO on your smartphone or tablet! Because DUM DE DUM DE DUM DE DUMMMM~, thats why!"

the app should be there, but under no circumstance would I dedicate any of Switch's battery life to watching video.
Not even hooked up?

I mean, I understand some people have tons of devices to play these video apps, but sometimes you just want something for the convenience. Let's say you're playing a Switch game and you're then in the mood for a show or movie. Now you have to switch to/turn on a separate device to do so, when you could've easily opened an app on the console. If you're playing on the XB1, just switch between games and apps on the console. Using a PS4/Pro? Do the same. Using a Switch? Use something else. That's not convenient but cumbersome.

Top Bottom