• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch will launch with no video apps, being considered for future

Branduil

Switch not launching with Netflix: Huge mistake Nintendo. This would have swayed tablet/laptop/smart TV owners over
If Switch had launched with Netflix: Why would I want to watch on a 720p screen when I can watch on my tablet/laptop/smart TV?

Admit it, some of y'all are just looking for something to complain about
Spin a little harder, you've almost got the turbine up to full speed.

Netflix would have been useful for me since I currently have no convenient way to watch it on my TV, but it's pretty obvious the Switch is essentially an early access console right now

kunonabi

The more I learn about the Switch the less viable it is for me to even consider it replacing my Wii U or 3DS any time soon.

Wii U still has the internet browser, Miiverse, and video apps that I use regularly and the New 3DS is infinitely better suited for my traveling handheld needs with its streetpass functionality and the smaller, more customizable and safer hardware design.

Vashetti

Banned
Switch not launching with Netflix: Huge mistake Nintendo. This would have swayed tablet/laptop/smart TV owners over
If Switch had launched with Netflix: Why would I want to watch on a 720p screen when I can watch on my tablet/laptop/smart TV?

?

It could play at full 1080p on the TV. It's a nice feature to have.

120v

i don't have any problem with nintendo putting app utilization on the back burner. as long as they eventually get around to it.

if you have $300 to burn on a Switch but no means to watch Netflix for about half a year then question your priorities

kvothe232

All those streaming services suck in New Zealand where I live so it makes no difference to me. Plus with all the other smart devices everyone has, it shouldn't really be any bother.

You would think a brand new handheld/console would give less reason to use smartphones for convenience instead of going back and forth.

I mean this stuff shouldn't even be "considered for the future" it should just be expected to come eventually if not by launch, sounds like a really rushed OS.

I dont understand why so many just brush this off as a non issue since it is available on other systems.

The switch is meant to be carried around. It is supposed to be the thing you bring when you travel and enjoy. Now you need to have your phone to communicate and play online, a tablet/laptop to watch Netflix etc. this device is the worst at what it should do best.

I dont understand why so many just brush this off as a non issue since it is available on other systems.

The switch is meant to be carried around. It is supposed to be the thing you bring when you travel and enjoy. Now you need to have your phone to communicate and play online, a tablet/laptop to watch Netflix etc. this device is the worst at what it should do best.

Why would I travel without a tablet or laptop.

lenovox1

Video playback is probably the best case for the switch. It's based on mobile tech and should have a video decode block onboard. I'd guess 5 or 6 hours battery life. Much better than gaming.

The Pixel C, on the same chipset, hits 13.

It hits about 3 hours when running a demanding video game benchmark test.

MrFixIt

Don't worry, we'll get Netflix. In fact, they'll probably dedicate 5 minutes of a 21 minute Nintendo Direct on how you can watch it on either the tv screen or the Switch screen.

MUnited83

For you.

Nah, sounds like you are a fanboy making up imaginary shitty strawmans as you go along to defend how theiy are handling this shit.

Petrae

Nah. I just can't justify dropping that much cash on a video games-only machine in 2017. I want more for that price tag-- or less money paid for it. No video apps. No productivity. Just games. Meanwhile, I can play games, watch videos, and get work done on my iPhone or iPad on the go. Or I can play all the games I want on consoles that I already bought-- and which have tons more games to play both now and on the horizon.

What am I missing? Nintendo games. That's a sacrifice that I'm willing to make, because I don't find them to be enough when laying out a ton of cash.

Well that settles that. Good to hear, but still annoying.

*Hopefully some of you understand the term annoying, and this doesn't turn into a shit show

VanWinkle

I have to admit, that's actually pretty disappointing. I'm planning on putting the dock in my home office, where the only other media player is the XB1 (which I hate for streaming media). It would have been kind of nice. Also, since it has a kickstand, it would have been nice to watch shows on Netflix or something while I'm cooking.

Persona7

Banned

It is a hybrid and will never leave the dock if I get one.

Nah. I just can't justify dropping that much cash on a video games-only machine in 2017. I want more for that price tag-- or less money paid for it. No video apps. No productivity. Just games. Meanwhile, I can play games, watch videos, and get work done on my iPhone or iPad on the go. Or I can play all the games I want on consoles that I already bought-- and which have tons more games to play both now and on the horizon.

What am I missing? Nintendo games. That's a sacrifice that I'm willing to make, because I don't find them to be enough when laying out a ton of cash.

That just sounds like you weren't going to buy one either way if you were adding "productivity and getting work done" as a feature against it.

When I am going on vacation I dont usually bring my work with me. Also when your kids want to play or watch cartoons you could either give them the switch or your laptop.

You only use a laptop for work?

I can't imagine that Netflix and the rest of the video apps will be missing for long. I bet they will show up a couple months after launch.

Nah, sounds like you are a fanboy making up imaginary shitty strawmans as you go along to defend how their handling this shit.

Happens a lot.

Honestly having a movie loaded up for offline playback on this thing would've been nice for commutes or flights.

But maybe Nintendo wants people to buy/carry other tablets instead of the Switch.

I left GameFAQs to get away from people like you.

I can't believe ppl are trying to defend this.

Were you not here yesterday?

Atheerios

3DS didn't have Netflix at launch
Wii didn't have Netflix at launch
Wii U didn't have some streaming apps at launch (source)

You are overreacting too much. Those are just apps that can be released on the Nintendo eShop whenever they're ready. The same applies for the browser. They will come.

Kssio_Aug

People use regularly Netflix on XB1/PS4. If Switch had a decent Netflix app that would be extremely conveninent since you could both watch on TV - at 1080p ;) - or just stand it anywhere and watch in portable mode.

Also, I don't see why someone would complain that a basic feature is available on Switch.

MisterR

This thing is coming in hot just like the Wii U. Pretty clear the Switch is not really ready but Nintendo needs something for revenue for the quarter.

Basically where I'm at. I'm not in the habit of dropping cash on things that objectively have fewer features than other products in the same area. It's one thing to be comparing my subjective feelings about something like Halo versus Zelda, but stuff like this is a 100% knock against the Switch.

It is a hybrid and will never leave the dock if I get one.

Same for me if I get one. I simply don't care about the handheld use case. And no, that doesn't mean "the product isn't for you." It hooks up to a TV, it has a stationary dock, my use case is just as valid as a traveling person's.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Nintendo now making the electronics with the worst feature sets on the market. Apart from Leapfrog and maybe some of those smart-fridges?

I can already see parent's exasperated eyes when kids tell them they have to have both the tablet and this new heavy Switch thing with them on the trip to still watch shows and stuff.

It's like this tired ol' circus elephant that doesn't have what it takes to do the shows no more.

I'm just thinking it'll come eventually, just like it did for every other Nintendo console.

I can already see parent's exasperated eyes when kids tell them they have to have both the tablet and this new heavy Switch thing with them on the trip to still watch shows and stuff.

Two things?? Those kids are running them ragged.

Switch not launching with Netflix: What do I need another device for Netflix? This is a non-issue!

If Switch had launched with Netflix: Oh cool I used my 3DS and Wii U for netflix all the time good to see I can replace them!

This is, potentially, a perception issue. Of course people have a hundred devices to watch Netflix on, but those kinds of things add value to a consumer's perception. Switch being so bare bones in so many ways at launch leads to the perception that it's going to be lacking in content, both media and gaming.

Top Bottom