• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Resident Evil 7 PS4/Pro/XB1/PC Comparison

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
CONTAINS SPOILERS FROM EARLY PARTS OF THE GAME.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6-rtBC0NG4

Visuals:

- 1080p / 60 FPS on PS4/XB1
- 2240x1260p / 60 FPS on PS4 Pro
- Plenty of Chromatic Aberration, DoF etc.
- XB1 has more shimmering and worse post-AA method.
- Besides odd texture streaming issue, visually mostly identical.
- Pro has increased lighting highlights on trees etc.
- PC has same texture/lighting/shadow quality the as PS4/Pro version.
- Consoles have limited motion blur, PC has camera motion blur. PC also has per-object motion blur.

Performance:

- PS4/Pro are rock solid 60 FPS.
- XB1 dips performance notably, especially in combat. Lowest is 45FPS.

Some Pro shots. Down-scaled to 1080p via PS4's capture app.

residentevil7biohazarlrsx1.png

residentevil7biohazart5s4j.png

residentevil7biohazar74svj.png

adamsapple

What about PSVR performance?

They don't break down the resolution or any specific short comings of the VR version but mention that it's 60 FPS there in a passing comment. We might get a different video on that later.

Nothing about HDR and how it changes IQ, the differences with SDR etc? huh..

Nope. Nothing of the sort mentioned.

vivekTO

- XB1 dips performance notably, especially in combat. Lowest is 45FPS.

Any Particular reason to keep it at parity with PS4? , Might get slight Boost in performance if kept at 900p Like other Games.

adamsapple

How's the video for location spoilers?

I can't play the game for another week or two dye to travelling but I'd like to watch DF.

Edited the OP, there are early game spoilers in it. If you're on a media blackout, I'd suggest don't watch it.

On max settings?

Video doesn't go much into setting presets, just mentions that besides the odd texture seeming higher resolution, it's the same between PC/PS4/Pro.

Aceofspades

Banned
Performance:

- PS4/Pro are rock solid 60 FPS.
- XB1 dips performance notably, especially in combat. Lowest is 45FPS

They should have lowered the res on X1 to 900p.

PS4/PRO performance are excellent in comparison.

Durante

The only remarkable thing there to me is the really modest Pro increase. It's just 36% more pixels on twice the FLOPs.
(Might of course be limited by bandwidth or ROPs or something else)

Durante

Can I get 1080/locked 60 on an i7/1070/16 gb ddr4 ram?
From everything I've read, yes, absolutely, easily. Most of the time when people report issues it seems related to a more constrained memory (GPU or main) amount. Your setup should run at around 100 FPS at least.

Javin98

Banned
You guys can express your skepticism if you want, but according to NXGamer's analysis, for the demo, at least, the XB1 version is not even running at native 1080p. It's running some sort of reconstruction method, evident when looking closely at edges. Probably the same set up in the final game.

Also, I'll watch it later, but did the video mention the occasional SSR on consoles? Places it was most evident to me were the first few minutes, outside the mansion on water puddles, the RV after you unlock the door, and towards the end when
heading out of the shipwreck.

ISee

So this runs well on PC? Can I get 1080/locked 60 on an i7/1070/16 gb ddr4 ram?

I'm running 2816x1584 (1440p+1.1 pixeldenstiy) @ 60 fps on my 1070 (max settings).

Also are they sure there are no differences between the Pro and PC in regards to Ambient Occlusion? I thought hbao+ is pretty much PC exclusive.

NXGamer said the resolution was somewhere between 1620-1680p. Who's right?

Knew the resolution on Pro wasn't much higher. The game is still plenty blurry on Pro.

That has more to do with the heavy post processing effect than anything else for Resident Evil 7.

Gurish

Great PS4/ Pro versions, maybe XB1 version should have been 900P with better AA and locked frame rate though.

Could it be a case of the game dynamically increasing Pro resolution based on on-screen load ? Has happened in other games too ..

Yeah I don't see why that wouldn't be the case. DF might not have got the chance to test most of the areas, it's just an assumption because I haven't seen the video yet.

Atolm

I'm running 2816x1584 (1440p+1.1 pixeldenstiy) @ 60 fps on my 1070 (max settings).

Also are they sure there are no differences between the Pro and PC in regards to Ambient Occlusion? I thought hbao+ is pretty much PC exclusive.

Yeah, HBAO+ is exclusive for PC.

KageMaru

Wish they went into specifics on the PC settings. Guessing they were running at the max preset. Also wish they mentioned any or no differences between the Steam and W10 versions.

The only remarkable thing there to me is the really modest Pro increase. It's just 36% more pixels on twice the FLOPs.

It's remarkable to me how obvious that modest increase is when viewed side-by-side. Would expect the difference to be smaller but it looks so much better.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
NX gamer on notice. He said 1600p, which is a HUGE difference from what we're seeing here. Its a dark game, but that's clearly off the mark

Lister

Banned
Disappointing to see parity with lighting and shadows on PC, when PC can do so much more in those areas in most games.

Great that it runs well though.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
From everything I've read, yes, absolutely, easily. Most of the time when people report issues it seems related to a more constrained memory (GPU or main) amount. Your setup should run at around 100 FPS at least.

Piece of cake. You can get 1080 144 on a gtx1070.

Lol. I think you may even get locked 60fps on 1620p

great!!

that plus a 9 hr run time makes this sound like a perfect pick up

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
My thoughts exactly.

Well we have to think about it linearly, PS3 to 360 res increases were extremely small percentage wise compared to the resolutions we have now, but it was pretty obvious at the time that the PS3 versions were noticeably blurrier

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Durante said:
It's entirely possible that was all the risk they were willing to take (or had the time for). Keeping the bump on Pro-SKU minimal ensures no risk of submission QA fail - testing for 6 platforms isn't trivial, and I'm not convinced this was built by the usually large team either.
That said I can't help but wonder - Demo (at least in VR) had clear vases of temporal-reconstruction visible, with resolution being extremely inconsistent, if any of that made it across to retail version, narrowing it down to a single number may not be easy either.

ISee

It's remarkable to me how obvious that modest increase is when viewed side-by-side. Would expect the difference to be smaller but it looks so much better.

TAA (in my experience) seems to profit a lot from running at a higher resolution, even if it's just a slight bump.

Well we have to think about it linearly, PS3 to 360 res increases were extremely small percentage wise compared to the resolutions we have now, but it was pretty obvious at the time that the PS3 versions were noticeably blurrier

I'd say that was also because those games were running at below-native HD resolutions. Thus, I don't think you can compare it so easily.

TAA (in my experience) seems to profit a lot from running at a higher resolution, even if it's just a slight bump.

Hm, that's interesting. So the AA solution factors into it heavily too.

Any Particular reason to keep it at parity with PS4? , Might get slight Boost in performance if kept at 900p Like other Games.

XB1 could be 900p to better performance or 900-1080p dynamic.

There isn't a could be about it is there ? Running 44% less pixels would guarantee a much better frame rate. I don't know why 900p isn't just standard on XB1. Better PR I guess which is a shame.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Knew the resolution on Pro wasn't much higher. The game is still plenty blurry on Pro.

This is total nonsense, the game is very crisp.

NX gamer on notice. He said 1600p, which is a HUGE difference from what we're seeing here. Its a dark game, but that's clearly off the mark

In his defense, this was in his early analysis video, and he said it was just an initial guess due to the heavy post processing.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
So I'm clear, if I'm running at 1080p without Hbao+, I'm not going to see a difference in image quality between PC and regular PS4? The anti aliasing isn't better on PC?

If so, I'm gonna rent the shit out of this game for PS4 and save 40-70 Canada bux.

Top Bottom