• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Resident Evil 7 PS4/Pro/XB1/PC Comparison

Gbraga

Jesus Christ, that chromatic aberration...

I really really wish console games would start giving us the option to turn it off.

KORNdoggy

i actually think DF is wrong here.

res seems higher than they claim on PRO and actually lower on Xbone. so either dynamic res and they caught PRO on a bad frame and Xbone on a good frame. or something else isn't right.

Is anyone doing screen shot comparisons anymore? Much preferred that since it's accurate to see textures. Videos are too long and winded with no choice. Someone should start up a new pic comparison site again

I really really wish console games would start giving us the option to turn it off.

I just looked up this term and that's exactly what Im seeing..
This is addressed in the DF video? I didn't watch the whole thing..just skipped around.

firelogic

I just looked up this term and that's exactly what Im seeing..
This is addressed in the DF video? I didn't watch the whole thing..just skipped around.

They mentioned that it's supposed to look like found footage playing off of a CRT so it's got a lot of depth of field and chromatic aberration along with static effects among others.

This scene here makes it look like the internal resolution of volumetric lighting on xb1 is lower. Check how it is aliasing really heavily while silhouetting this character in comparison to PS4:
voumetric_2d8zty.png

voumetric_16rb3i.png

If not lower res internally, maybe xb1 is in fact actually lower resolution at some points? Hence how volumetrics would look worse if they were half-res of whatever the resolution actually was? Or perhaps the TAA pass, which apparently xb1 lacks accordinf to the DF video, plugs into the volumetric lighting (like lords of the fallen, inside, or frostbite do), so that it really aliased?

Either way, I think DF in this vid should have spent more time looking at the fine details like this and comparing them to the nice presets on PC. It would have pointed out where the difference was and exactly why.

edit: also PC has per-object blur where no console versions do (very nice!). So the OP has that inaccurately detailed.
per_object_blurkhyvt.png

They mentioned that it's supposed to look like found footage playing off of a CRT so it's got a lot of depth of field and chromatic aberration along with static effects among others.

Wow..i thought there was something wrong with my TV or cables. I think that effect looks real dumb. It makes sense when you watch the tapes but not when you are Ethan

Durante

I'm happy that I'm able to eliminate the blurriness of theach game. I'm also thankful they gave an option to turn off CA. Companies tend to use CA as a cheap form.of Anti-aliasing, but it gives me such a damn headache.

Here's a few screenshot I took while measuring performance impacts.

Both images are being scaled above 4K. Reflections are set to variable and CA is off.
Those are some sharp screenshots compared to everything else I've seen of the game.

Jacob4815

Do you have the links?

According to this italian article with an accurate comparison, it's 1656p.
http://www.everyeye.it/articoli/speciale-resident-evil-7-come-migliora-grafica-ps4-pro-32243.html
The writer of this article is one of the most professional and trustworthy in Italy.

The article says this is one of the best works on PRO, IQ is night and day, and the differences are more evident on a 1080p monitor thanks to the downsampling from a high native resolution.
So according to the article there are discrete differences on a 4k TV but massive differences on a FullHD TV, where the game looks very dirty e blurry on a regular PS4.

Durante

If someone were to simply post a native 4k screengrab with high-contrast low-angle edges it would at least be possible to try and answer that resolution question.

With the internet, you have no idea how many people are simply publishing guesswork or regurgitating information (of potentially dubious accuracy) which they picked up elsewhere.

Javin98

Banned
It certainly was running the interlace mode as I later found out it was called in the demo. I have my copy installed and will be covering from tonight once I am back home. If they have boosted back to a full 1080p I would expect the dips to be worse than the demo by a good chalk. Hope to have something up soon when I get a full analysis.
Looking forward to it. I presume the PC version with Reflection set to Variable is exactly what the console versions are using? Again, the most prominent locations with SSR I found were the first few minutes, outside the RV and
after the shipwreck.
I believe I missed a few, so it would be nice if you provided more examples in your vid. :)

Also, great to have your technical eyes back, Dictator! ;)

nkarafo

There is not enough information about the differences between the PC and PS4. The say it's the same quality but at what PC settings? If it's Ultra then the PC version must be a very bad port. Because mid-range cards can't handle it and you have to drop setting to medium.

So if i have to play the game on medium on my i5 4670 + GTX 960 (a much more powerful setup than a base PS4) and have worse graphics than a base PS4 at the same performance level... then it's a bad port.

nkarafo

btw, the 1050 and 960 cards perform at about 20fps or lower in max setting at 1080p according to some benchmarks here. Both cards are much better than what the PS4 has (remember when we compared the PS4 with the 750ti?). You also have a much more powerful i5 or i7 CPU, heck even an i3 should be more powerful...

...and with this hardware you get 20fps vs 60fps on the PS4. That's not even a slightly worse performance. There is a huge gap here.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
btw, the 1050 and 960 cards perform at about 20fps or lower in max setting at 1080p according to some benchmarks here. Both cards are much better than what the PS4 has (remember when we compared the PS4 with the 750ti?). You also have a much more powerful i5 or i7 CPU, heck even an i3 should be more powerful...

...and with this hardware you get 20fps vs 60fps on the PS4. That's not even a slightly worse performance. There is a huge gap here.

20 FPS ? That's incredibly low, the game doesn't seem too demanding.

Well we have to think about it linearly, PS3 to 360 res increases were extremely small percentage wise compared to the resolutions we have now, but it was pretty obvious at the time that the PS3 versions were noticeably blurrier

Some of those games were sub HD on PS3.

There is plenty of aliasing too. The post processing and TAA hides it but in some cases it's visible. It just doesn't look high res.

Could you post a few Pro screenshots that show 'plenty' of aliasing?

This game is very PP heavy and as I stated in that video it was an early count and I will nail down for my full analysis.

I'm looking forward to it :)

nkarafo

20 FPS ? That's incredibly low, the game doesn't seem too demanding.
I know but if you search around the performance threads you will see such benchmarks.

I don't have the game but if that's true and if the PS4 version is the equivalent of max settings then i'm afraid we have one of the worst PC ports in ages.

I hope those benchmarks are not true though.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Surprised at that small of a res boost on the Pro. I'm playing it at 1080p but given the downsampling quality and some of the comparison pics I've seen, I would have guessed higher.

That motion blur on PC is awesome. Would have loved to see that on console as well.

The performance is really impressive in this game. It's consistent the whole way through. They even rendered the cutscenes at 60fps, which was a smart move. They flow so much smoother between gameplay without a jarring change in motion quality.

BTW I know I'm late on this but there should probably be a spoiler warning on this video. It's all relatively early game stuff but there's some great moments that were a considerable surprise to me that are best experienced when playing yourself.

Mike Golf

I'm going to echo that we need much more in-depth comparison between the PC and console versions. No mention of AO differences, AF, or Reflections? At least for the demo, for example, I know reflections present on PC with them set to ON were completely absent on PS4, not to mention at least on my 980ti reflections often appear as if they are very dithered and dark/blobby depending on the assets in question. What about SMAA performance in comparison to the TAA and TAA+FXAA options? There's simply a lot missing here compared to DFs usual work.

That's not even to mention coverage of the asset streaming stutter issues many, myself included, experience on max settings, even with Shadow Cache and Textures turned off and down respectively. I really hope we get more in-depth information either in an article or in a follow up video.

It's potentially acceptable in games where the intent is to make you feel uncomfortable. At least there's more justified purpose to it, it's not just a shortcut to making things look "grimy" or de-artificializing the visuals.

Still though, chromatic aberration is an inherently gross and ugly effect that's borderline headache-inducing. There should always be a toggle.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
The only remarkable thing there to me is the really modest Pro increase. It's just 36% more pixels on twice the FLOPs.
(Might of course be limited by bandwidth or ROPs or something else)

Doesn't the game scales badly with resolution on PC as well?

Fezan

Looking at video and screen shots xbox one has more aliasing and looks softer. It appears to be running at lower resolution than 1080p

If someone were to simply post a native 4k screengrab with high-contrast low-angle edges it would at least be possible to try and answer that resolution question.

With the internet, you have no idea how many people are simply publishing guesswork or regurgitating information (of potentially dubious accuracy) which they picked up elsewhere.
Two instances of 1656p being reported for the game could indeed be mere repetition. But I think the position that there's no underlying reality is untenable. The first instance of "1656p" is pretty obviously a pixel counting result. How would anyone generate such a random number--which I've not seen used for any other game--except by percentage adjustment of 2160? And NXGamer posting a range including the similarly strange number 1680p also strongly suggests real counting for the same reason.

That there is a range, and some disagreement, can easily be ascribed to two reasons:

1. The game is very soft overall, and has few high-contrast straight edges of any length.

2. The game may be using dynamic resolution, reconstruction techniques, or both.

Bl@de

That are basically the major graphical advantages of the PC version. Toggles for CA, DOF, HBAO+ and (most importantly) a higher FOV (btw. Is there a way to increase it beyond 90?).

adamsapple

It's "potentially acceptable"?!

How about whenever the developers choose to employ it? It's an aesthetic choice, just like any other rendering parameter.

Also, it really isn't that much of an issue in motion. Becomes highlighted in stills where you can look for it but in motion everything looks ok.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Liabe Brave said:
2. The game may be using dynamic resolution, reconstruction techniques, or both.
Reconstruction is something that I'm pretty sure I saw in the older VR demo, not that it confirms anything for the final game, let alone non-VR mode. But if I pick up the game anytime soon I might give it a spin on a devkit and get the raw counts that way ;P

demigod

Like I say in the video it was a first contact after my full (mostly unrecorded playthrough) for my review as I am also and foremost a gamer and I wanted to enjoy the game. I will have my full analysis up this weekend as I stated and I will nail it down then, I like to give as much info as possible but I can easily refrain from any res counts until a full analysis if that is what people prefer?

Stop being a gamer and give us the facts first mang.

Maximus P

what's up with the vaseline filter on XB1

Excuse my ignorance here as Ive only played this game for a little while, but isn't this..

(In game spoilers)
The part where your watching a video of Mia trying to escape and the game puts on a slight filter to make it look more like your watching a VHS?

Once again,sorry if I'm totally wrong here.

Lol this is totally the opposite of PS3/Xbox 360 gen.

I don't think RE7 is a particularly good looking game. Lots of crappy textures everywhere.

I think a lot of that is the texture steaming. It kind of sucks but if you wait a moment the textures will pop in a lot of times and look much better not the greatest but I'll say I'm pleased with the visuals.

The only remarkable thing there to me is the really modest Pro increase. It's just 36% more pixels on twice the FLOPs.
(Might of course be limited by bandwidth or ROPs or something else)

I was surprised by the Pro resolution as well. Every extra pixel helps, but I was expecting more.

Would be cool if someone could post some PS4 Pro 4k mode screens, with geometry in view. Only ones so far are resized to 1080p and DF don't provide screens anymore.

adamsapple

Would be cool if someone could post some PS4 Pro 4k mode screens, with geometry in view. Only ones so far are resized to 1080p and DF don't provide screens anymore.

Im sure other posters will oblige,but once I get back from work,I'll take some 4K JPEGs from some better lit areas and post them here.

cakely

According to Jez on wincentral this game is already running at 4k on scorpio probably because it's already a uwp even on xbox.

I'm
not
looking forward to reading posts like this for the next ten months.

Let's just stick to comparing the game on platforms that have already shipped.

Top Bottom