• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Excluding Zelda, what game is worth buying a Switch at launch?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
But you have to realize that all of these qualities are obviously valued most by high-end customers who, by definition, are not the majority of the addressable market.

Of course. I didn't imply Nintendo should chase that market. I was just explaining why Nintendo is a complementary platform for me that probably gets 5-10% of my gaming time and dollars most years. While stating that I understand that there is a big market for them to tap into like the poster I was replying to who dislike mainstream AAA gaming trends.

SalvaPot

Overwatch, Rocket League and GTAV is the triple shot that would guarantee Switch would be a mainstream hit.

I think GTA really depends on how well Skyrim does. I'll love to see Overwatch on the Switch too but I have my doubts if Blizzard would want to bother porting it over.

Rocket League has no excuse, it HAS to happen. Gyro controls would be dope, too, but I am ok without them.

MouldyK

I'm thinking Zelda, but since my Package might not come till the afternoon, I also want a Multiplayer game.

1,2 Switch or Bomberman are in contention. The reviews will tell me.

StarPhlox

At this point I'm planning on 1-2-Switch, Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth +, Super Bomberman R, and hopefully Snipperclips at launch in addition to the obvious Zelda. Not a totally tragic launch imo and I'm hoping that they can keep things steady with at least 1 cool game per month. Mario Kart, Arms, Splatoon 2 (April, May, June?) is a good first half of the year for me. Switch won't be my primary.

Platformers and toon characters have been pretty much drummed out of the mainstream gaming industry...the part of the industry that sells 3x to 10x the number of consoles as Nintendo.

Banjo+kazooie+successor+yooka+laylee+the+creative+talent+behind+banjo+kazooie+and+donkey_c5e54e_5532773.jpg

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I'm getting Zelda and Bomberman.

I'll have this guy just before a long trip to China/Japan/Korea so it'll be super nice for the long flights. Figure I'll get a ton of solo Zelda in, and my wife can play some Bomberman with me on the flights.

I'm hopeful Mario Kart will be out in time for my flight back and I'll be able to VPN my way into buying it somehow while in Japan.

jariw

Zelda, Arms, MK8D, Splatoon 2, Fire Emblem Warriors, Xenoblade 2, Super Mario Odyssey + whatever else is announced throughout the year/at E3, within the first year, seems like a continuous flow to me. Far better than the Wii U or 3DS ever had.

...and don't forget Snipperclips.
But feel free to forget 1-2-Switch.

jdstorm

Banned
I think GTA really depends on how well Skyrim does. I'll love to see Overwatch on the Switch too but I have my doubts if Blizzard would want to bother porting it over.

Rocket League has no excuse, it HAS to happen. Gyro controls would be dope, too, but I am ok without them.

Destiny 2 is the big one that the switch needs the most. Being able to locally raid without setting up 3 TVs would be a gamechanger

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
To actually answer the OP question, I'll probably just get Zelda. I may get Binding of Issac--but that's a matter of whether I decide to shell out for a 200GB SD card or not as I'd want that digitially and probably won't by digital games until I have a card to put them all on.

I have it on PS4, but haven't really played it much since ditching my Vita. I have a hard time dedicating console/big screen gaming time to indie games vs. AAA games. Something like Issac is great for flights though. I'm less likely to play something like Zelda in portable mode as I'd prefer to experience it all on the big screen.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Destiny 2 is the big one that the switch needs the most. Being able to locally raid without setting up 3 TVs would be a gamechanger

That's a cool idea, but PS4/X1 couldn't even hit D1 at 60. D2 seems like a PC game ideally.

The only 'big' 3rd party AAA game I'd like on Switch is GTA V.

jdstorm

Banned
That's a cool idea, but PS4/X1 couldn't even hit D1 at 60. D2 seems like a PC game ideally.

The only 'big' 3rd party AAA game I'd like on Switch is GTA V.

Probably because bungie were targeting 30fps for platform parity with last gen systems. The PS4 Could have been packing a pascal Titan and a modern I7 and Destiny still likely would have been 30FPS

Ultimately how Destiny 2 runs will be determined by what the developers want to target graphically. Just look at Mass Effect Andromeda. Its going to be 30FPS on the PS4.

Of course. I didn't imply Nintendo should chase that market. I was just explaining why Nintendo is a complementary platform for me that probably gets 5-10% of my gaming time and dollars most years. While stating that I understand that there is a big market for them to tap into like the poster I was replying to who dislike mainstream AAA gaming trends.

haha, I was mostly using your comment as a rhetorical jumping-off point than criticizing you. ;p

Hattori

Banned
I'm getting Zelda and Bomberman.

I'll have this guy just before a long trip to China/Japan/Korea so it'll be super nice for the long flights. Figure I'll get a ton of solo Zelda in, and my wife can play some Bomberman with me on the flights.

I'm hopeful Mario Kart will be out in time for my flight back and I'll be able to VPN my way into buying it somehow while in Japan.
Snipperclips might be out during your trip as well.

WadeitOut

Both better launch lineups than the Switch. Sure it was mostly multiplatform games, but Zelda is multiplatform as well.

Xbox One launch was one of my favorites of all time. Forza 5, Killer Instinct, Dead Rising 3, Ryse. All games I really liked. I also played the GOAT Assassin's Creed on it and Madden.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
yea man i hate nintendo games and products yet i keep buying them

that junior just set me f r e e

To be fair the issue raised was people that love Nintendo games, but hate the hardware...

Mister X

Neo Member
Other than Zelda, I only plan on getting Shovel Knight, I know it doesn't come out at launch but I think it's still coming out in March. Then Mario Kart in April, and hopefully by some miracle there's a Virtual Console.

Zelda (of course), 1-2 Switch, Bomberman and Binding of Issac for me. The Amazon prime discount brings all those games, other than Zelda, down to proper prices.

jax

Banned
To be fair the issue raised was people that love Nintendo games, but hate the hardware...
But their hate is unjustified. It's like, I loathe the Xbox One. The UI is atrocious. It's underpowered for the price in my eyes. It has a lot of useless features I'll never ever use, I hate having to install games, etc.

but I love Halo and Forza, so you know what I did? I bought an Xbox One.

Top Bottom