• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CrowbCat: For Honor P2P connectivity

bounchfx

It's insane to me that a large company like Ubisoft is okay with letting it be p2p instead of having at least SOME servers as an option. It feels like a waste of their investment in the rest of the game, and insulting to their customers

deoee

The game itself is awesome, some balancing issues but they will be ironed out in time.

Many people claim to have zero connection issues and personally it's somewhat dependent on the day.
Sometimes I can play for hours without any problem and sometimes I can't finish half my matches.

There will be a first Hotfix for PC so I'm pretty sure they can work pretty fast on things :|

Poster#1

It's insane to me that a large company like Ubisoft is okay with letting it be p2p instead of having at least SOME servers as an option. It feels like a waste of their investment in the rest of the game, and insulting to their customers

It's why i stopped playing R6:S.

Gamezone

Gold Member
For some reason sites like Eurogamer hammered games like Need for Speed for being always online (now I talk single player), but for some reason it`s completely fine in For Honor. These servers issues also impacts single player in this game, even if the campaign is terrible.

Strakt

The game itself is awesome, some balancing issues but they will be ironed out in time.

Many people claim to have zero connection issues and personally it's somewhat dependent on the day.
Sometimes I can play for hours without any problem and sometimes I can't finish half my matches.

There will be a first Hotfix for PC so I'm pretty sure they can work pretty fast on things :|

This. I personally have played hundreds of hours with all betas combined + launch, and I haven't experienced any of what was in that video. I've had a network error maybe 4 times throughout hundreds of matches. I can't speak for other people though since people live in different parts of the world / have different internet providers, etc.

Kthulhu

I guess they figured they'd get away with it. Though this is the first I've heard of any backlash, albeit from a non player myself.

I wasn't aware P2P had a security risk. That's esspecially terrible for PC gamers.

The online functionality of the game is certainly one of its largest downfalls. I'm still playing it, but between host migration, getting randomly booted from games, not transitioning into another match after one has ended, and oftentimes kicking everybody out of a party after a match...

Rocket League, an indie game, has had dedicated servers since launch.

There's no excuse for one of the biggest publishers, in a full $60 game, with a shitton of micro transactions, to have anything but dedicated servers.

bounchfx

I guess they figured they'd get away with it. Though this is the first I've heard of any backlash, albeit from a non player myself.

I wasn't aware P2P had a security risk. That's esspecially terrible for PC gamers.

one of my friends was super into this game. I played the beta with him, and he went on to buy the game and play it non stop for a week. He told me yesterday he felt like he wanted to quit because of how bad the server issues were... it sounded like a pretty often problem, at least for him. I felt bad, this should be a fucking non-issue. I am curious what the loss of sales vs cost of servers would be. Would it balance out? I would hope Ubisoft did the math beforehand, but who knows.

It's why I decided to pass on the game. There is no good excuse and Ubisoft can't keep getting away with taking a really cool concept and just hurting its most interesting component by being thrifty with server support and going P2P.

It's really too bad as wel because the game was fun when it worked.

I haven't played For Honor, but if the issues are half this bad it's certainly a deal breaker for me.
My experience with the final game has been a lot better than the video. I've only had a handful of disconnects, but there have been a lot of resync moments due to ragequits and such. There sure are a lot of ragequitters lol

P2P? Seriously?
Guys, it's first and foremost a fighting game.

Ferrio

Banned
I can play this game from Alaska with no issue parrying or doing any of the strictest timing things in this game, I can't claim that for many fighting games.

I understand the issues people have with host migration, but the actual 1 on 1 connections themselves are fine.

Veitsev

One of the major reasons I didn't buy after the beta. No dedicated servers tells me they aren't serious and its not something I can tolerate as a PC gamer in 2017. Maybe if this was just some casual fun game it wouldn't matter, but they are marketing it as a competitive title. There is no excuse for it.

Huh? Doesn't siege use dedicated?

Yes but only in multiplayer

Terrorist Hunt is still P2P but they're moving that to dedicated later this year.

It mostly uses dedicated servers already. All the vs modes run on a server (they aren't the best though). The voice connection is P2P and so is Terrorist Hunt.

During a presentation, Marquis and brand director Alexandre Remy took the stage to give an overview of all the new things coming in 'Year Two.' Perhaps the most important is that Siege will be undergoing a significant overhaul to improve matchmaking and server stability. Marquis explains that while Siege uses dedicated servers for the actual player matchmaking, secondary services like voice chat are implemented on a peer-to-peer system.

The problem is that, due to the interconnectivity of these services, if one is experiencing problems there is a risk that everything could shut down. That's happened multiple times over the past year—in addition to matchmaking generally feeling unstable, especially when trying to party up with friends. Marquis says that Year Two will bring those problems to an end. One by one, each of the secondary services that uses peer-to-peer will be switched over to dedicated servers. "Reliability of the connection is going to significantly improve this year," he claims.

http://www.pcgamer.com/rainbow-six-siege-year-two-free-loot-better-matchmaking-subversive-operators/

Ferrio

Banned

Fighting games don't used dedicated because dedicated servers are worse for fighting games. Even if there were dedicated servers you can't let one person have the advantage for having a better ping to the server.

Yes in 4v4 this doesn't hold true anymore, but P2P isn't this big horrible thing people are making it out to be.

Zyrox

I haven't experienced people teleporting around like this but I do get disconnected from matches pretty often, especially in the 4v4 modes (when it says "recovering gameplay state" everyone in my match usually gets replaced with bots, happens in 4v4 about 70% of the time for me, in 2v2 maybe 30%), also get the regular connection errors quite a bit. Don't have a connection this awful in other games so to see that other people are having problems as well is somewhat reassuring. I hope Ubisoft improves tge stability of their online infrastructure for this game because I really love the gameplay but getting disconnected so often is really lame.

kami_sama

Hmmmm, I was very hyped for For Honor (Huber did it!) but after the p2p thing my interest waned off, and I think for the best, if they end up putting dedicated servers count me in, but until then, I'm good.

Burt

So those who have played a decent amount of mp, is this video overstating things?

Yeah. Disconnects are an intermittent problem, but I've never had (or really even heard of) an issue with actual lag.

*gasp*

was this video edited

with a purpose?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Fighting games don't used dedicated because dedicated servers are worse for fighting games. Even if there were dedicated servers you can't let one person have the advantage for having a better ping to the server.

Yes in 4v4 this doesn't hold true anymore, but P2P isn't this big horrible thing people are making it out to be.

It is for team-based games. No one is arguing that P2P connections are irredeemable for 1v1 fighting games (which are not always perfect either). But when you have to sync eight freaking people playing at the same time, one disconnect or even just one bad connection spoils the whole bunch.

How people can be defending this is beyond me. "It works for me, so it can't be that bad" is an even worse use of anecdotal evidence than the cases presented in the video.

Veitsev

So those who have played a decent amount of mp, is this video overstating things?

I experienced an obnoxious level of disconnects, fails to join, and other connection issues. The game is in a playable state, but I experienced more bullshit in the 10+ hours of the "beta" then I did in several years of multiplayer gaming combined. Its just not acceptable. If this game was an indie title or in steam greenlight or something it might be tolerable, but this is a AAA title from a major publisher.

Yeah. Disconnects are an intermittent problem, but I've never had (or really even heard of) an issue with actual lag.

*gasp*

was this video edited

with a purpose?

The problem is that almost all connectivity problems are going to be anecdotal.

The fact that it exists at all is still a problem.

Ferrio

Banned
It is for team-based games. No one is arguing that P2P connections are irredeemable for 1v1 fighting games (which are not always perfect either). But when you have to sync eight freaking people playing at the same time, one disconnect or even just one bad connection spoils the whole bunch.

How people can be defending this is beyond me. "It works for me, so it can't be that bad" is an even worse use of anecdotal evidence than the cases presented in the video.

Because a lot of that video isn't about host migration, which is a valid concern. It's mostly about bad connections to other players. That's just going to happen, welcome to fighting games where if they other guy lags you get slowdown or rollback.

Strakt

Yes and no. Yes as in these clips are from a shit ton of matches put into a small 3 minute video. I've played hundreds of matches, and experienced a network error maybe 3-4x. No because all of those things are a possibility in a p2p setting, but the chance of "lag switches" and "DDOSING" are slim to none.

deoee

Yes it is.
In my 40h the worst thing I have experienced is someone dropping and I'm being teleported back 10m.

No lag or anything while actually playing.

sonicmj1

Personally, in my time with the beta and final game, I've had a game get dropped in the middle a grand total of twice, and I've never seen the lag issues shown in this video. That's not to say it can't happen, but it didn't really happen to me.

26BGB2WVpljF0LGUw.gif

d00.png

Joey Ravn

Banned
Because a lot of that video isn't about host migration, which is a valid concern. It's mostly about bad connections to other players. That's just going to happen, welcome to fighting games where if they other guy lags you get slowdown or rollback.

I understand that the combat mechanics may resemble those of a fighting game, in that you need to react fast to the actions of the other player in order to block and counter, but this is not a fighting game. It's not that hard to understand. You are not playing against one single opponent in a very controled environment. You are playing with 7 other people, all of whom may have their own share of connectivity issues, in a battlefield full of smaller enemies and things happening around you.

If anything, you should be comparing it to a MOBA, not a fighting game.

deoee

I understand that the combat mechanics may resemble those of a fighting game, in that you need to react fast to the actions of the other player in order to block and counter, but this is not a fighting game. It's not that hard to understand. You are not playing against one single opponent in a very controled environment. You are playing with 7 other people, all of whom may have their own share of connectivity issues, in a battlefield full of smaller enemies and things happening around you.

Ehm

There's 1v1,2v2 and 4v4

So... :|

Also it's a fighting game for the most part. When I think about it, there's literally nothing else you do but fight.

Strakt

But you are.. and it is a fighting game.. lol.

Should research the game before posting imo

//ARCANUM

I've played about 15 hrs between beta and full release and have had maybe one dropped match?

Guess I've just been lucky?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Ehm

There's 1v1,2v2 and 4v4

So... :|

But you are.. and it is a fighting game.. lol.

Should research the game before posting imo

So. The fact that there's a 1v1 mode (which is not the focus of the game, at least not what Ubisoft intends it to be) invalidates all the inherent problems with P2P connections in 2v2 and 4v4? And it's a fighting game because. Got it.

Thanks for the research.

deoee

So. The fact that there's a 1v1 mode (which is not the focus of the game, at least not what Ubisoft intends it to be) invalidates all the inherent problems with P2P connections in 2v2 and 4v4? And it's a fighting game because. Got it.

Thanks for the research.

The game is obviously based around 1v1 combat and the 4v4 mode is just an evolution of this with questionable mechanics (revenge) and pure chaos (gear).

The game is obviously based around 1v1 combat and the 4v4 mode is just an evolution of this with questionable mechanics (revenge) and pure chaos (gear).

Well literally nothing they show of the game implies that. They always showed it as a team vs game. .

Strakt

Thanks for the research.

Since you haven't played the game at all, let me educate your ass

1) You fight 1 v 1 in a controlled environment.
2) You have to time everything in this game
3) What makes you think 1 v 1 isn't the focus of the game? They balance the game around 1 v 1s. A ton of people do dominion and other modes because its currently the fastest way to get experience. Its a mode thats chill and fun to play with friends. When you want to get serious and gear stats don't matter, most people enter 1s and 2s.
4) 2 v 2 is also competitive because in 90% of the game you 1 v 1 your opponent and the other enemy honors the fight , and you 1 v 1 him after. Once again, 1 v 1s in a controlled environment.
5) Most of the p2p problems come from 4 v 4. I agree this mode could use some dedicated servers.. but everything else? Nah peer 2 peer has been fine.

Seems like a fighting game to me, and seems like you're just clueless.

Top Bottom