• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CrowbCat: For Honor P2P connectivity

deoee

Well literally nothing they show of the game implies that. They always showed it as a team vs game. .

I guess because many people like playing with friends so they'll co-op or play 2v2 or 4v4.

I'm not defending the P2P bullshit as it's frustrating as hell but it's not nearly as bad as people make it.

Veitsev

Just like in every other fighting game. Your point?

The game has been marketed around 4vs4 and Dominion mode. You can continue to act dense and pretend this isn't the case but its reality. This is the mode the majority of players will play the majority of the time and it is the mode most affected by P2P.

Strakt

How many other fighting games have a 4v4 mode?

I'm talking about his argument saying theres only one "1 v 1 " mode. This game has extra modes aside from 1 v 1.. but the balancing revolves around 1s. It depends on the player what they prefer to play... but to say the game isn't a fighting game LOL

Arulan

While the topic is specifically about the woes of P2P connectivity, I think the solution is not only dedicated servers, but to stop relying entirely on match-making. A server list with dedicated servers, and most importantly the ability to create you own is why multiplayer communities on PC flourish and endure for years.

The online experience playing games such as Chivalry: Medieval Warfare or Mount & Blade: Warband is significantly better because of this, even though they're several years old at this point. Not to mention they're a lot better games too.

Strakt

The game has been marketed around 4vs4 and Dominion mode. You can continue to act dense and pretend this isn't the case but its reality. This is the mode the majority of players will play the majority of the time and it is the mode most affected by P2P.

Doesn't matter what its marketed around. Its a fighting game. You literally have movesets, counter grabs, parries, deflects, etc.

Dmax3901

I experienced an obnoxious level of disconnects, fails to join, and other connection issues. The game is in a playable state, but I experienced more bullshit in the 10+ hours of the "beta" then I did in several years of multiplayer gaming combined. Its just not acceptable. If this game was an indie title or in steam greenlight or something it might be tolerable, but this is a AAA title from a major publisher.

Yes it is.
In my 40h the worst thing I have experienced is someone dropping and I'm being teleported back 10m.

No lag or anything while actually playing.

So Crowbcat is fake news the whole time?

I'm fine with the 1v1 mode being P2P. It's a fighting game so i have no issue with that.

For the 2v2/4v4 modes tho', dedicated servers should be the norm.

Strakt

Oh and btw.. ill just leave this here:

FBfbqpI.png

Oh and maybe Eurogamers review:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-02-14-for-honor-is-the-best-fighting-game-ive-played-in-ages

Oh wait they call it a fighting game too.. weird.

Poster#1

Yes but only in multiplayer

Terrorist Hunt is still P2P but they're moving that to dedicated later this year.

It mostly uses dedicated servers already. All the vs modes run on a server (they aren't the best though). The voice connection is P2P and so is Terrorist Hunt.

http://www.pcgamer.com/rainbow-six-siege-year-two-free-loot-better-matchmaking-subversive-operators/

My googlefu says they're dedicated.

They probably have the worst dedicated servers then. It's bad for me :/.

Sophia

While I can't say I experienced the lag issues, disconnects leading to host migration was a huge issue in the beta. Frequently ruined 4v4 matches, and some 2v2 games.

Veitsev

Oh and btw.. ill just leave this here:

FBfbqpI.png

Good god. Its a game where the main mode is 4 vs 4 with bots to mow down. The game being a fighting game doesn't justify using P2P. You not experiencing problems doesn't invalidate the problems many others of had.

deoee

Good god. Its a game where the main mode is 4 vs 4 with bots to mow down. The game being a fighting game doesn't justify using P2P. You not experiencing problems doesn't invalidate the problems many others of had.

No one invalidates the problems but you guys suddenly started with "it's not a fighting game"

Strakt

Go back and read my post you quoted and maybe you'll wonder why I even took the time to respond to you.

The dude said "but this is not a fighting game. It's not that hard to understand. You are not playing against one single opponent in a very controled environment."

Its a fighting game. Deal with it lul

If someone told me this video was faked I'd believe them because I haven't had a single issue demonstrated in my dozen or so hours playing the open beta and release version on PC and PS4. You know what? I wouldn't be surprised if this guy's NAT is purposely closed to generate controversy/views.

Budi

50 hours overall in two betas and now 48 after release, dropping from the matches has been annoying and happens too often imo. Not enough to not make me enjoy the game though, since I have experienced no lag at all and the game itself is really great. If I have encountered some lag it's not enough to really notice it, so that side is good I think. But I've dropped from matches daily.

Edit: On PC. Also one of my friends had to tinker with their modem to get it work. He would otherwise drop from 90% of 4vs4 matches even before they started. When we did custom games either duels or 2vs2 brawls it worked fine on him even then. But after setting up the modem, it's been fine.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I guess it's different per person. I've had occassional issues, but on the whole it works fine for me. Definitely not as bad as the video makes out.

deoee

50 hours overall in two betas and now 48 after release, dropping from the matches has been annoying and happens too often imo. Not enough to not make me enjoy the game though, since I have experienced no lag at all and the game itself is really great. If I have encountered some lag it's not enough to really notice it, so that side is good I think. But I've dropped from matches daily.

Edit: On PC. Also one of my friends had to tinker with their modem to get it work. He would otherwise drop from 90% of 4vs4 matches even before they started. When we did custom games either duels or 2vs2 brawls it worked fine on him even then. But after setting up the modem, it's been fine.
What did he do

xviper

i always said that the Beta is exactly the same as the full game and many don't believe me

this is a lesson learned the hard way to those who bought it

there is no such thing as " it's just a Beta, they will fix it in the full game" especially when the beta is like 1 month or less before the game releases

Strakt

i always said that the Beta is exactly the same as the full game and many don't believe me

there is no such thing as " it's just a Beta, they will fix it in the full game" especially when the beta is like 1 month or less before the game releases

best 60 bucks ive spent in a while tbh :)

I assume CrowbCat is exaggerating the connectivity issues, right? I've watched a lot of streams of this game and the online seemed fine. It can't be worse than past Gears games use of P2P.

P2P only makes sense for the 1 v 1 mode but, going by how bad this can get who knows if that will be okay in the grand scheme of things either.

Mechazawa

So those who have played a decent amount of mp, is this video overstating things?

The warping in the video is pretty egregious and in my experience fairly rare. But experiences like that are going to be inevitable due to the nature of people's connections or whatever crud-ass nodes they live near.

However, what is a frequent issue in the game is the consistent amount of resyncing that happens throughout a night. In fact, I had this happen to me last night:

Z7YOE9r.gif

This is beyond horseshit and tied to a network problem in the game that is incredibly common.

(The guy in that gif's teammate ganked me and he walked away.)

Hasney

24 hours in and had one match end on me. Only complaint is the wonky matchmaking which is sometimes instant and sometimes takes it's sweet time. Get that consistent and I'm ecstatic.

Tecnniqe

Banned
The warping in the video is pretty egregious and in my experience fairly rare. But experiences like that are going to be inevitable due to the nature of people's connections or whatever crud-ass nodes they live near.

However, what is a frequent issue in the game is the consistent amount of resyncing that happens throughout a night. In fact, I had this happen to me last night:

Z7YOE9r.gif

This is beyond horseshit and tied to a network problem in the game that is incredibly common.

(The guy in that gif's teammate ganked me and he walked away.)
But it's a fighting game and p2p is superior to dedicated servers so that gif is a forgery.

E-flux

But it's a fighting game and p2p is superior to dedicated servers so that gif is a forgery.

It is and nobody has said that p2p has no issues. The fact is that for 1v1 and 2v2 the p2p connection isn't the end of the world many people seem to think it is. Sure for 4v4 it causes many problems and dedicated servers would probably be better, but the 4v4 modes are the worst modes in the game so personally it's not a big deal for me. Plus that gif is from a 4v4 mode where shit like that happens a lot more often.

Shinjica

It is and nobody has said that p2p has no issues. The fact is that for 1v1 and 2v2 the p2p connection isn't the end of the world many people seem to think it is. Sure for 4v4 it causes many problems and dedicated servers would probably be better, but the 4v4 modes are the worst modes in the game so personally it's not a big deal for me. Plus that gif is from a 4v4 mode where shit like that happens a lot more often.

Problem is, at least on pc, 4v4 is the mode with more player

ZoddGutts

The problem is that almost all connectivity problems are going to be anecdotal.

The fact that it exists at all is still a problem.

Yup. Angry Joe is doing a review on the game and said he's now down on it because of all the error disconnects and lag he keeps experiencing, it was pretty bad the last time he stream the game on Twitch, also hates the fact that there's no dedicated sever that would've helped on this issue.

E-flux

Problem is, at least on pc, 4v4 is the mode with more player

When the player pool according to the game is around 70000 players there are plenty of people in 1v1 and brawls. A much bigger problem in my mind is the matchmaking which can throw newbies at you even if you are prestiged on multiple characters, for some reason the game lifts the skill restriction parameters just after a few seconds of searching.

Phamit

I assume CrowbCat is exaggerating the connectivity issues, right? I've watched a lot of streams of this game and the online seemed fine. It can't be worse than past Gears games use of P2P.

Well that's what crowbcat is about, take a game that has a issue and make it look like it's the worst thing ever

Yukinari

Yup. Angry Joe is doing a review on the game and said he's now down on it because of all the error disconnects and lag he keeps experiencing, it was pretty bad the last time he stream the game on Twitch, also hates the fact that there's no dedicated sever that would've helped on this issue.

His review thread for the game is fucked regardless because hes Joe even if the disconnects are a valid criticism.

-Deimos

Yeah, it's what he does and it's entertaining. Online is pretty smooth for the most part, with occasional hiccups, like literally every other online game ever.

Tecnniqe

Banned
A proper peer system for 1v1 maybe, maybe 2v2 might work but the excuse of it's a fighting game went down the toilet when Ubisoft decided to market 4v4 as the true game mode.

Bonus clip: at 15 minute mark https://youtu.be/OA8xrgLqQZ8

RocknRola

I had some issues with the Beta, but never to that degree (like warping, players lagging massively and all that). I think I only tried 1v1 like....twice and it played okay, but again my experience was very limited with that. I mostly played 4v4 Dominion. Which was super fun, but indeed had some network issues.

For Honor is likely my GOTY but the network issues are indeed a bummer

They dont hurt my love of the game but no one should give them a free pass

Top Bottom