• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The contest for SCP 3000 is underway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I love how every few months we have a thread that reminds me about SCP.

Time to jump into the archives again!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Some of them are really bad or not horrific at all. Some good ones in there though.

Leunam

Interesting, Has the SCP website been made into an SCP yet ?

I think it was one of the 001 entries.

I read a couple of these last night. The eel that serves as a resource for their amnestics was the weakest of the ones I read. I liked the one with the Sun that forces the Instumenality Project on people.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

Altazor

yeah love anomalous recordings
http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-315 - the recorded man
http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-1981 - ronald reagan cut up while talking
http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-1110 - videos of a robbery
http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-993 - bobble the clown
http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-2030 - laugh is fun
http://www.scp-wiki.net/video-oddity - video oddity

the thing with "anomalous recording" stories/creepypastas is that they usually straddle a very fine line between chilly/creepy and ridiculously uneffective, so the writer has to be extremely careful in not going overboard with the "scariness", otherwise the whole thing is ruined - see everyfuckingcreepypasta that followed Squidward Suicide (or Suicide Mouse, or whichever was first).

Thankfully, those you posted are good examples of effective creepypasta IMHO. "Ronald Reagan Cut Up While Talking" and "Laugh is Fun" are the best of the lot to me.

Oh boy, guess it's time for my semi-annual delving into the SCP archives again.

Man, the Anti-Memetics Division stuff I encountered last time was incredible.

marrec

Banned
the thing with "anomalous recording" stories/creepypastas is that they usually straddle a very fine line between chilly/creepy and ridiculously uneffective, so the writer has to be extremely careful in not going overboard with the "scariness", otherwise the whole thing is ruined - see everyfuckingcreepypasta that followed Squidward Suicide (or Suicide Mouse, or whichever was first).

Thankfully, those you posted are good examples of effective creepypasta IMHO. "Ronald Reagan Cut Up While Talking" and "Laugh is Fun" are the best of the lot to me.

This is the first time I've read "Laugh is Fun" and it's kinda dumb, unless I'm missing some key theme here, I have no idea why it's so upvoted.

I hate the way some writers just rely on endlessly absurd things that are supposed to be horrific but just become banal in their absurdity. Laugh is Fun exemplifies that.

Altazor

I dunno, I just found it unsettling enough. I think it was the fact that something so patently harmless ("hidden camera" sketches, a la Just For Laughs) could be mixed with creepy shit did it for me. I do think the "addendum" video descriptions were a bit too far into absurdity as to be immersion-breaking - could've been a bit more vague, maybe? Like, having the situations described therein be less explicitly creepy/absurd and more "hm, this is not exactly right, is it?"

So I guess I liked more the idea and general gist of it instead of the finer details.

This is the first time I've read "Laugh is Fun" and it's kinda dumb, unless I'm missing some key theme here, I have no idea why it's so upvoted.

I hate the way some writers just rely on endlessly absurd things that are supposed to be horrific but just become banal in their absurdity. Laugh is Fun exemplifies that.

Yeah. The premise is fine, but the excerpts are too absurd.

It goes from "Episode themes vary from the mundane, such as 'the beach', 'pets', and 'candy', to the strange and violent, such as 'mail fraud', 'arson', and 'terrorism'.", and skips straight to "pigeons rupturing an elderly womens stomach and host appearing from said rupture" then ends with "Octopus Martin Freeman Birth".

Remove the "32 seasons" stuff, remove the Addendum, and it would be a lot better imo.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

It goes from "Episode themes vary from the mundane, such as 'the beach', 'pets', and 'candy', to the strange and violent, such as 'mail fraud', 'arson', and 'terrorism'.", and skips straight to "pigeons rupturing an elderly womens stomach and host appearing from said rupture" then ends with "Octopus Martin Freeman Birth".

Remove the "32 seasons" stuff, remove the Addendum, and it would be a lot better imo.

the things that happen can be as absurd as they need to be no telling on what plain of existence or dimension these events are happening on and what rules apply to them there
its just some form of it is now bleeding into our reality and we can watch it

I hope it's an "anomalous location" one, that actually explains what's going on instead of being super-vague. The one based on the virus from Prototype (can't remember the SCP#) will always be the GOAT SCP.

The best anomalous recording is the CD from another dimension, about a bunch of aliens talking about some horrific, eldritch device they found that kills them if activates. Reading between the lines reveals it's
a human laptop
. It was an actually pretty funny twist, and I like the concept of a bunch of the bizarre objects the Foundation deals with actually being mundane, everyday objects.

Altazor

The best anomalous recording is the CD from another dimension, about a bunch of aliens talking about some horrific, eldritch device they found that kills them if activates. Reading between the lines reveals it's
a human laptop
. It was an actually pretty funny twist, and I like the concept of a bunch of the bizarre objects the Foundation deals with actually being mundane, everyday objects.

you have the number for that one?

It's not an anomalous recording one and I'll be fucked if I can find it, but I always really loved the play that has like...this dude dressed in black standing around in the wings as the play goes more and more off-script until it ends up in everyone killing each other.

There are some good entries in this contest.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

brau

Oh nice. I'll take a look at these. Some awesome, creepy and very creative writing in these. Thanks for the heads up. will check some of other peoples recommendation on the thread.

marrec

Banned
the things that happen can be as absurd as they need to be no telling on what plain of existence or dimension these events are happening on and what rules apply to them there
its just some form of it is now bleeding into our reality and we can watch it

It just gets boring once an actual description of the episodes is given. The authors attempt to oneup their own absurdity gets in the way of any actual decent storytelling. The individual episodes could have been interesting thematic short-stories but were instead excuses for the author to go "lol that was random right?!" while winking to the reader. Insufferable. I especially hated the singing Ryan Seacrest octopus birth. Even typing that sentence made my eyes roll involuntarily.

100% agree. A nice short entry that mostly left up to the reader's imagination. I like the closing, honestly, but the addendums are dreadfully boring.

I dunno, I just found it unsettling enough. I think it was the fact that something so patently harmless ("hidden camera" sketches, a la Just For Laughs) could be mixed with creepy shit did it for me. I do think the "addendum" video descriptions were a bit too far into absurdity as to be immersion-breaking - could've been a bit more vague, maybe? Like, having the situations described therein be less explicitly creepy/absurd and more "hm, this is not exactly right, is it?"

So I guess I liked more the idea and general gist of it instead of the finer details.

I like your addendums better already :lol

I wish there was some way to turn SCP into a series. Each episode could be based on one or more files. I mean it doesn't HAVE to be a show or something, it works exceptionally well as written documents given the context, but some of them are just so incredibly imaginative and well done.

Like that Tower one. That was so creepy and cool, that could totally be done as an episode of something, found-footage style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom