• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The contest for SCP 3000 is underway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
NoRéN;233029207 said:
I don't know how you improve on perfection but ok.

Seriously, one of the few that actually understands horror.
I'd prefer seeing it submitted as a tale than rewritten in such a way that removes the unique aspects that make it so frightening.

Seriously, that fucking ending.

I was thinking more like X-Files or Warehouse 13.
But considering how often people are killed by SCPs, an anthology series might be more fitting.

Yeah honestly they could do either way. They could do like X-Files and Warehouse 13 and invent main characters and have an over-arcing story that incorporates the different SCPs, or you could have every episode be self contained adaptations (but with some connectivity since I'm pretty sure there are entries that refer to one another). I'd take either though I feel like more focus could be given to each story if they did the second way.

NoRéN

I'd prefer seeing it submitted as a tale than rewritten in such a way that removes the unique aspects that make it so frightening.

Seriously, that fucking ending.
Butit achieved it's purpose. But, I do see the flaws. Still, a story to d pending heavily on [redacted] should b praised. This story was excellent c predict to most of the other attempts.

Who was the oily hand guy in When Day Breaks?

gotta reread it but sounded like the author was trying to evoke 106 with the description

I was under the impression there was a blob of the living goo in the corner. He/she sees hands coming up out of it and then checks again and they're gone, invoking a "I'm seeing things" feeling until it's too late.

I think it's supposed to be the person in the videos he's watching? Like she finally succumbed somehow to the blob when she was trying to "access" her partner. Laid a trap to catch the reader.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
think it said the pool was black of course now that i think of it i dont think they ever mention what color the living blob was guess it could of been black i was thinking more of just giant mass of flesh that oozed around
what got me thinking of 106 was that it pulled itself up from the pool and was mostly skeletal i assumed the living blob instantly regenerated you and would never let you get to that state

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
NoRéN;233710897 said:
Deadline's past and it's not there.

Damn, I just missed out on reading it. Maybe he will repost as just another scp entry.

I've read nursery, none orchard, tower, and the light that died. Anyone have any recommendations for others? Tower was amazing. Bone orchard was pretty great at times as well but needed less detail in some places and more details in others.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Damn, I just missed out on reading it. Maybe he will repost as just another scp entry.

I've read nursery, none orchard, tower, and the light that died. Anyone have any recommendations for others? Tower was amazing. Bone orchard was pretty great at times as well but needed less detail in some places and more details in others.

most likely rewriting it to match the format or will add it as a scp tale it was really good

I haven't followed SCP since the days of playing that one awesome game that combined a few of them.

Loving all the recommended ones here, great reads. The Basketball DVR one was pretty awesome.

NoRéN

Toxi up top has a link to an archived version.

Seems like you dislike needless detail and fluff so let me see if I can recommend some good stuff off this contest.

The rain was good, not tower level but good.
Person of interest is one of my favorites.
Red reality is a bit long but good.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
NoRéN;233761015 said:
Toxi up top has a link to an archived version.

Seems like you dislike needless detail and fluff so let me see if I can recommend some good stuff off this contest.

The rain was good, not tower level but good.
Person of interest is one of my favorites.
Red reality is a bit long but good.

Thanks! I'll read those. Yeah it isn't details that I dislike but the details need to matter. Some authors seem to like to over stuff their entries.

NoRéN

Thanks! I'll read those. Yeah it isn't details that I dislike but the details need to matter. Some authors seem to like to over stuff their entries.
Most definitely.

I'm adding peaceful Sunday to my list of favorites. Quick read without fluff.

Primus

I really, really don't like When Day Breaks. It's just a short story that doesn't bother to follow the SCP formats at all. I don't understand the appeal.

I really, really don't like When Day Breaks. It's just a short story that doesn't bother to follow the SCP formats at all. I don't understand the appeal.

It's a fun read, but yeah, it really doesn't and seems to be a scenario in which everything ends already as opposed how the SCP style is all about what's underneath our current world and the horror it hides from the normal world that makes it all work so well.

Unless I'm missing something and it's supposed to be an alternate reality.

It's a fun read, but yeah, it really doesn't and seems to be a scenario in which everything ends already as opposed how the SCP style is all about what's underneath our current world and the horror it hides from the normal world that makes it all work so well.

Unless I'm missing something and it's supposed to be an alternate reality.

It has to be an alternate reality, there's a handful of SCP stories and such that can't be reconciled with the general "narrative" of the Foundation. Hell, SCP-2000 already determines that the earth as it is has been "rebooted" at least 3 times, not to mention all the dimension hopping SCPs. That's why I think it works well as a SCP-001 nomination, I immediately put it in the narrative of the first time SCP-2000 was used and humanity came back several hundred years later, when the anomaly died.

The winner is.... Not what I expected :/

I understood it but it just didn't fulfill that need of scariness, creepiness, etc. It's a decent way to look at human life, sure, but it didn't do it for me honestly.

When Day Breaks was a better entry imo.

Toxi

Banned
The winner is.... Not what I expected :/

I understood it but it just didn't fulfill that need of scariness, creepiness, etc. It's a decent way to look at human life, sure, but it didn't do it for me honestly.

When Day Breaks was a better entry imo.
The author for When Day Breaks removed it from the contest so they could edit it. It was reposted as a SCP-001 proposal, which is pretty damn nice.

The author for When Day Breaks removed it from the contest so they could edit it. It was reposted as a SCP-001 proposal, which is pretty damn nice.

Yeah. Which I do agree with. SCP-001 are some of the craziest and best entries because of the date of entry. Some of the earliest known entries for mankind. Well, for me that is lol.

Toxi

Banned
There are better K-class Scenario skips. Like SCP-3519, or SCP-093, that portal into the dead, theocratic alternative reality infested by the "Unclean".

The thing that I don't like about When Day Breaks is that the language is way too overwrought.
093 is my favorite SCP, so that's a pretty high bar to clear.

When Day Breaks is still damn good and one of the scariest things I've read on the site.

There are better K-class Scenario skips. Like SCP-3519, or SCP-093, that portal into the dead, theocratic alternative reality infested by the "Unclean".

The thing that I don't like about When Day Breaks is that the language is way too overwrought.

I agree about some of the prose, but I still liked When Day Breaks the best out of all the entries. When compared to some other 001 proposals, it doesn't break the format that hard. 3519 and 093 are of course fantastic as well.

The entry I really didn't like is Red Reality. I wasn't a fan of the language in that one. Attempts to Assassinate Thought and Tower were my other favorites.

Toxi

Banned
I agree about some of the prose, but I still liked When Day Breaks the best out of all the entries. When compared to some other 001 proposals, it doesn't break the format that hard. 3519 and 093 are of course fantastic as well.

The entry I really didn't like is Red Reality. I wasn't a fan of the language in that one. Attempts to Assassinate Thought and Tower were my other favorites.
Attempts to Assassinate Thought didn't grip me at all. Don't know why, I usually like those sorts of apocalyptic stories.
When Day Breaks is some Junji Ito shit. I liked it.
02.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom