• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The contest for SCP 3000 is underway

Status
Not open for further replies.
2521 is a strange one
A monster that can't be contained, and any information about it can only be given through images. Written word and speech will cause him to appear and steal it. The latter method means he will kidnap (and possibly kill) you.
This is fantastic!! So creative and unique, I love it :D

2718 was godlike. I liked it better than all the others mentioned but I haven't read the aforementioned tower one.

The best SCPs are the ones that you can believe, and 2718 being one you can't disprove is just... Wow

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-2718

Gonna be honest here I'm too scared to click the video link at the bottom ):

LakeEarth

Lol, I love their reactions to the spoiler?
death of SCP-682 and Ghost Girl.
That was a good read. Will try and read some being suggested in here along with shaggydredlocks' entry.

I still love the entry where they fought that Angel or something.... Ah hah, here it is Dr Clef's Proposal!

I did like how
SCP-682
was used for the classic "Worf Effect".

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
just read when day breaks really well written just dosnt follow the format and feels more like a scp tale then a scp itself either way was really cool

Valhelm

contribute something
The tower SCP is really well-done. Loved the passage with the blind-deaf-mute woman.

If it doesn't make the cut it should be added as a normal SCP later.

This is fantastic!! So creative and unique, I love it :D

Gonna be honest here I'm too scared to click the video link at the bottom ):

It's not really a video so you're safe to read. I mean, if you already read the description you're already infected and agents will administer class-B amnestics for your safety.

Grakl

ok maybe I just don't understand the tower one, but how do you climb up the ladder and not end up outside immediately? I just dunno what the inside of a lookout is like or what's being climbed

ok maybe I just don't understand the tower one, but how do you climb up the ladder and not end up outside immediately? I just dunno what the inside of a lookout is like or what's being climbed

the point of the story is that it is an impossible spacetime anomaly yeah. a real lookout would be a small wooden building like in the article's photos. they go through a ladder and discover that they emerge inside another building instead of on the roof.

LakeEarth

That's exactly the point. There's a hidden ladder that SHOULD lead you to the roof, but instead you end up climbing into an exact replica of the room you just climbed out of. And that replica room has a ladder that leads to another one, and so on.

This, SCP-261 a vending machine that was located in Japan is also a fun read, lol. I like these kooky entries.

SCP-504 is also pretty hilarious but can prove lethal. Tomatoes that will throw themselves at you if your attempt at humor is bad.

What are some newer ones that are fun reads?

When Day Breaks is good. I liked it. It's creepy as shit. Kind of reminds me of vampires and how they try and trick their loved ones that they are still the same person but they just really want to suck your blood or turn you into a vampire (uh I recently rewatched Salem's Lot so vampires are still fresh in my mind).

dark_chris

Gold Member
This, SCP-261 a vending machine that was located in Japan is also a fun read, lol. I like these kooky entries.

SCP-504 is also pretty hilarious but can prove lethal. Tomatoes that will throw themselves at you if your attempt at humor is bad.

What are some newer ones that are fun reads?

When the Day Breaks is good. I liked it. It's creepy as shit. Kind of reminds me of vampires and how they try and trick their loved ones that they are still the same person but they just really want to suck your blood or turn you into a vampire (uh I recently rewatched Salem's Lot so vampires are still fresh in my mind).

The vending machine was awesome but the tomatoes made me laugh too damn hard

No video, just a video transcript.
Ah, ok, thanks! Extremely depressing and upsetting to think about. Hah. ):

It's not really a video so you're safe to read. I mean, if you already read the description you're already infected and agents will administer class-B amnestics for your safety.
Infected with what? ;)

The way I visualized it (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is picture yourself in a room. On one wall there is a ladder going up to a trap door, and on the floor there's a trap door. You climb the ladder and open the trap door to find yourself in a room exactly like the one you just left, with a ladder and a trap door. So every time you leave the room through the trap door on the ceiling, you come through the trap door on the floor of an exact copy of the room.

Edit: Shit, beaten!

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Lol, I love their reactions to the spoiler?
death of SCP-682 and Ghost Girl.
That was a good read. Will try and read some being suggested in here along with shaggydredlocks' entry.

I still love the entry where they fought that Angel or something.... Ah hah, here it is Dr Clef's Proposal!

A lot of the ones that reference real-world religious stuff are a lot of fun. That one in particular is a hoot, essentially I guess Archangel Michael? Cain and Abel wanting no part of that mess certainly makes sense. On the other end of the spectrum, there's the one that's an ancient demon satan-type beast being contained by ancient chains and shit, but they break over time and the final chain is weakening.

There's another one with a creature that looks like a stereotypical demon, but he's like a total dumbass so he keeps accidentally telling the SCP personnel what they need to do to prevent him from escaping.

NoRéN

Yeah, that one was hard to follow. It was on purpose, but that didn't make it good or anything.
Yes, exactly. Reminds me of people that think fluff and big words = smart so they go on and on. There's probably a good read in there if it were condensed but as it is it was a confusing mess and a waste of time.

But then I look at the up votes and am reminded that as most places, the Scotsman site is also a popularity contest.

I've already read most of them, but I hardly remember any of them. So this thread is basically me re experiencing these cool SCP's again. Those in the OP are great.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I think my all time favourite horror SCP is 093. It's filled with ideas I could describe as oppressively sad, and the level of elaboration and world building is frankly absurd. It's like season of a TV show worth of material, all with cross pollination to a lord Blackwood arc. http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-093

I like horror stuff and creepy stories, but I've read a bunch of SCPs and didn't really find them anything particularly memorable. Any particularly good ones I should read?

I'm probably the only one that liked And We'd Rather Remain in the Darkness: ontologically creepy and short and simple like the hundreds underdeveloped objects on the site.

Anantashesha personally lose some steam if you remember is about
the giant eel in Super Mario 64 and that story of Junji Ito about that monster isarenated on a beach with the people inside.

The only thing I can say about Me, Me, Them, Them is that
has a premise parascientific like that of Lucy. Meh. Even the idea that are evil fringe groups in the Foundation is not original.

Oh, and
[DATA EXPUNGED]

I think my all time favourite horror SCP is 093. It's filled with ideas I could describe as oppressively sad, and the level of elaboration and world building is frankly absurd. It's like season of a TV show worth of material, all with cross pollination to a lord Blackwood arc. http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-093

Wow that was incredible, thanks for sharing

HBO or Showtime or Netflix needs to work out a deal so they can do anthology collections of SCP stories. I don't know how the rights would work, I assume SCP and an entry's given writer would be paid and then a screenwriter would be hired to adapt the stories? I can't imagine it being much different than Masters of Horror, where each episode is written/directed by someone different, only this time it'd be adapted from a "book" of short stories instead of written specifically for the show.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Wow that was incredible, thanks for sharing

HBO or Showtime or Netflix needs to work out a deal so they can do anthology collections of SCP stories. I don't know how the rights would work, I assume SCP and an entry's given writer would be paid and then a screenwriter would be hired to adapt the stories? I can't imagine it being much different than Masters of Horror, where each episode is written/directed by someone different, only this time it'd be adapted from a "book" of short stories instead of written specifically for the show.

I was thinking more like X-Files or Warehouse 13.
But considering how often people are killed by SCPs, an anthology series might be more fitting.

I think the closest I've seen a movie approach SCP and The Foundation would be The Cabin in The Woods. The ending shows a Keter event, possibly a (just looked up definitions) XK class scenario or SK class scenario.

Damn. The Cabin in The Woods was a cool ass movie, lol.

I think the closest I've seen a movie approach SCP and The Foundation would be The Cabin in The Woods. The ending shows a Keter event, possibly a (just looked up definitions) XK class scenario or SK class scenario.

I didn't know they had consistent definitions for the keter event levels. that's kind of cool.

Leunam

I didn't know they had consistent definitions for the keter event levels. that's kind of cool.

End-of-the-world scenarios aren't necessarily tied to Keters. Not all Keters can end the world and even some Safe designated scips could if they wanted to or if their containment failed.

But yes, there are several different End-of-the-world scenarios. I always get them mixed up (XK, ZK, etc.), but the results go from human extinction, planet destruction, universe destruction, total reality failure, and most recently with 3000, eradication of consciousness (CK). I swear there used to be a resource for all the different classifications.

EDTI: Did a little reading and it seems like XK is in reference to 'biblical' end times and CK is a 'restructuring' type apocalypse.

My brother and I had the exact same thoughts about it.

It's definitely the closest I've seen a movie replicate the SCP atmosphere, even down to the blasé way the staff handle the ritual.

SCP is very cool, my dude. I love that site as it's one big community focused on creative writing of spookiness.

End-of-the-world scenarios aren't necessarily tied to Keters. Not all Keters can end the world and even some Safe designated scips could if they wanted to or if their containment failed.

But yes, there are several different End-of-the-world scenarios. I always get them mixed up (XK, ZK, etc.), but the results go from human extinction, planet destruction, universe destruction, total reality failure, and most recently with 3000, eradication of consciousness (CK). I swear there used to be a resource for all the different classifications.

I had mine from Reddit even though the last comment says there are no concrete lists of Keter events.

My brother and I had the exact same thoughts about it.

It's definitely the closest I've seen a movie replicate the SCP atmosphere, even down to the blasé way the staff handle the ritual.

SCP is very cool, my dude. I love that site as it's one big community focused on creative writing of spookiness.

Was reading some comments and theories from reddit.... They can see it but the way it was handled in the movie doesn't feel like what The Foundation would do. Some theorize that, like The Foundation, what happened in TCiTW their Foundation is based on a counter organization.

Another one I read was that what happened in TCiTW was just an observable scenario. That TCiTW is actually it's very own SCP entry.

Leunam

I had mine from Reddit even though the last comment says there are no concrete lists of Keter events.

Yeah it's not likely you'll get a complete list of end times events. There are very few things people agree on like class designations, groups of interest, some Foundation sites and members, and MTFs interestingly enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom