• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic: There are 20+ Japanese Unreal Engine 4 games for Switch in development

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Gematsu said:
20 Unreal Engine 4 games in development for Switch in Japan

“Unfortunately, there were not any Unreal Engine titles at launch, but in late March, Snake Pass, which was one of the titles playable at GDC, launched in America and Europe, and at the Nintendo Switch Presentation, there were titles such as Shin Megami Tensei,” Kawasaki said. “In Japan, there are about 20 titles being developed that use Unreal Engine, so I think that they’ll be announced gradually from here on.”

When asked if that number corresponds to Switch titles, Kawasaki said, “These are titles that use Unreal Engine, for Switch, and are being made in Japan. There may even be more. And now we’re gradually moving forward with Switch support for the free version [of Unreal Engine 4]. That way, as long as you have a Switch development license, you will be able to develop for Switch even with the free version.”

At the moment, there are only a few announced Japanese titles for Switch that use Unreal Engine 4, including Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei, and presumably Dragon Quest XI (the Switch version has yet to be shown, so we don’t know if it’s based on the PlayStation 4’s Unreal Engine 4 version or the 3DS’s 3D/2D version).
Source: http://gematsu.com/2017/04/20-unreal-engine-4-games-development-switch-japan

Known so far, as detailed in the interview:

1.) Bloodstained
2.) Shin Megami Tensei
3.) Maybe Dragon Quest XI

So feel free to start guessing at the other 17+.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Capcom is also open to using that engine. I could see something from them. Maybe even MH?

Supposedly Capcom Korea was making a Monster Hunter game on UE4 (a sequel to Frontier) before it got canned, but it's plausible that the main team was also intending to share those art assets and technology base.

Son Of D

Wonder if one is a late port of Tekken 7. Could see Namco wanting the PS4/X1/PC versions released before EVO and then a Switch port later on.

Cerium

Kingdom Hearts please and thank you.

Supposedly Capcom Korea was making a Monster Hunter game on UE4 (a sequel to Frontier) before it got canned, but it's plausible that the main team was also intending to share those art assets and technology base.

I would be surprised if MH5 isn't on RE Engine.

Nintendo altered the specs of the console just to accommodate that engine. I can only think of one game that important.

Ridley327

Not a bad guess, especially as I doubt the main Monster Hunter team is big enough to be able to handle a full HD title by themselves. It would certainly be quite a waste if whatever Capcom Korea was working on stayed in the bins.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I'm guessing Tekken and MVC:I

Have no guesses for the remaining

edit: FF7R is far off, so I could maybe see them making it happen

Xater

Kingdom Hearts please and thank you.

I would be surprised if MH5 isn't on RE Engine.

Nintendo altered the specs of the console just to accommodate that engine. I can only think of one game that important.

We don't really know if that engine would be a good fit. We only have RE7 to go by. At least with UE4 we know that big spaces are a non issue.

DJIzana

Project Octopath Traveler maybe and maybe the director of Chrono Trigger and the game he's starting?

Whatever Mistwalker is doing? (Hopefully involves the Switch) :p

Top Bottom