• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic: There are 20+ Japanese Unreal Engine 4 games for Switch in development

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Didn't Next Level have a job listing looking for UE4 experience? Miyamoto could have been refering to them. Not sure they count as "Nintendo," but they're as close as you can get and Miyamoto would know if they were using UE4.

They did. It's not impossible he was referring to them.

I'm pretty sure there's a Sony console exclusivity concerning Shenmue 3.

As is FFVII:R. "Timed Exclusivity" is just a broad term people throw on. We have no idea just how the exclusivity is working with that game. I don't ever see it going on Xbox and it can't run on this system. It's going to be PS4/PC only. Or more likely going to be moved to PS5 cause it's never coming out.

However, FFXV and KH3 are fair game.

EDarkness

FFVII:R is never coming to Switch. It's "First on PS4" Until all parts are out on PS4 it's not going anywhere. And the more likely scenario is that it's going to be PS4/PC only. Sony has their hand in it. People need to keep their expectations in check. This one is not happening.

As for KH3, that's possible since it's already on Xbox but the issue with that at its current state it would break the Switch because it's too weak. It's pretty much a slightly more powerful Wii U. Unless they severely downgrade it it's not happening.

I know people keep making that "UE4 scalable!" excuse but that's not how it works. My phone can run UE4. The Switch being able to run UE4 means jack shit. It uses a mobile processor and mobile chip. Come on guys.

Is it possible? Maybe. Is it going to happen? Probably not. It's the same with FFXV. The game is simply too powerful to run on this system. Expect more low end ports of FFXIII or something. This system isn't getting any graphically extensive AAA 3rd Party support. So stuff like FFXV, Red Dead Redemption 2, The Witcher 3, etc. You should pretty much rule out of every single major AAA 3rd Party game.

Again, keep your expectations in check. NIntendo fans do this to themselves every generation and you just end up back at the start. Being a Nintendo fan since the beginning I understand what you go through but please keep your expectations in check. Predict and ask for things that are likely to happen. Don't ask for the impossible because you will be disappointed at what's actually going to happen.

No offense, man, but you should really educate yourself.

Pinky

Banned
FFVII:R is never coming to Switch. It's "First on PS4" Until all parts are out on PS4 it's not going anywhere. And the more likely scenario is that it's going to be PS4/PC only. Sony has their hand in it. People need to keep their expectations in check. This one is not happening.

As for KH3, that's possible since it's already on Xbox but the issue with that at its current state it would break the Switch because it's too weak. It's pretty much a slightly more powerful Wii U. Unless they severely downgrade it it's not happening.

I know people keep making that "UE4 scalable!" excuse but that's not how it works. My phone can run UE4. The Switch being able to run UE4 means jack shit. It uses a mobile processor and mobile chip. Come on guys.

Is it possible? Maybe. Is it going to happen? Probably not. It's the same with FFXV. The game is simply too powerful to run on this system. Expect more low end ports of FFXIII or something. This system isn't getting any graphically extensive AAA 3rd Party support. So stuff like FFXV, Red Dead Redemption 2, The Witcher 3, etc. You should pretty much rule out of every single major AAA 3rd Party game.

Again, keep your expectations in check. NIntendo fans do this to themselves every generation and you just end up back at the start. Being a Nintendo fan since the beginning I understand what you go through but please keep your expectations in check. Predict and ask for things that are likely to happen. Don't ask for the impossible because you will be disappointed at what's actually going to happen.

Most of us do keep our expectations in check. At this point, all we can do is take the wait and see approach.

ar4757

That seems like a ton, awesome.

Maybe Square hasn't released a TWEWY2 yet because they are now making it with UE4 on the Switch

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I would imagine by late September we will have a much fuller picture of Switch 3rd party Japanese support. I think it will be significant.

LordKano

As is FFVII:R. "Timed Exclusivity" is just a broad term people throw on. We have no idea just how the exclusivity is working with that game. I don't ever see it going on Xbox and it can't run on this system. It's going to be PS4/PC only. Or more likely going to be moved to PS5 cause it's never coming out.

Eeeeh, it's far from being a looker. It's not coming solely because Sony securised the exclusivity.
FFXV isn't an UE4 game and I doubt Square want to deal with it ever again.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Most of us do keep our expectations in check. At this point, all we can do is take the wait and see approach.

on that note however, there is no point in being overly negative. There will be tons of Japanese devs that support switch along with the other consoles, or even exclusively based on the handheld aspect, and many of them will infact use UE4

EDarkness

Didn't Next Level have a job listing looking for UE4 experience? Miyamoto could have been refering to them. Not sure they count as "Nintendo," but they're as close as you can get and Miyamoto would know if they were using UE4.

Next Level isn't in Japan, though, so this wouldn't count against the 20+ total. Still, I'm looking forward to seeing what's coming. Man, I REALLY hope they bring over Kingdom Hearts 3.

sinonobu

Banned
FFVII:R is never coming to Switch. It's "First on PS4" Sony has full timed exclusivity for the foreseeable future. Until all parts are out on PS4 it's not going anywhere. And the more likely scenario is that it's going to be PS4/PC only. Sony has their hand in it. People need to keep their expectations in check. This one is not happening.

Is it possible? Maybe. Is it going to happen? Probably not. It's the same with FFXV. The game is simply too powerful to run on this system. Expect more low end ports of FFXIII or something or mostly 7th gen 3rd Party games. This system isn't getting any graphically extensive AAA 3rd Party support from this generation. So stuff like FFXV, Red Dead Redemption 2, The Witcher 3, etc. You should pretty much rule out of every single major AAA 3rd Party game.

Switch's uses same Unreal Engine 4 as PS4 or Xbone but just in lower visual settings.

It doesn't use mobile Unreal Engine 4 like your phone

Pinky

Banned
on that note however, there is no point in being overly negative. There will be tons of Japanese devs that support switch along with the other consoles, or even exclusively based on the handheld aspect, and many of them will infact use UE4

Agreed 100%

Eeeeh, it's far from being a looker. It's not coming solely because Sony securised the exclusivity.
FFXV isn't an UE4 game and I doubt Square want to deal with it ever again.

I don't know what you're talking about. FFVII:R is definitely a looker man. And you've seen barely concepts and teasers of mockup gameplay. You can't even say that yet since the game isn't even close to being finished yet. Graphically is the first one why it's never coming to Switch. The second reason and more major reason is because Sony has exclusivity on it.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Kingdom Hearts 3 on Switch would be really weird considering Nintendo didn't get any of the other "main" games.

For instance, if I wanted to pick up Kingdom Hearts 3 on my Switch there's absolutely no way I'd know what the hell is going on without diving into Wikipedia.

Hopefully they release the compilations as well if they decide to do so.

raven777

well might as well use the image I compiled on Japanese games using UE4 here. :p
C9ZY8fOUAAAYpMl.jpg:orig
Think most were already mentioned here except Let it Die and Rez:Infinite Area X which are already out and the new Naruto game coming out.

LordKano

I don't know what you're talking about. FFVII:R is definitely a looker man. And you've seen barely concepts and teasers of mockup gameplay. You can't even say that yet since the game isn't even close to being finished yet. Graphically is the first one why it's never coming to Switch. The second reason and more major reason is because Sony has exclusivity on it.

Ah sorry I was talking about Shenmue 3. Yeah FF7R looks good.

18-Volt

My guesses:
Senran Kagura
Dynasty Warriors 9
Monster Hunter 5
Story of Seasons
Etrian Odyssey 6
Etrian Mystery Dungeon 3
Bravely 3
Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 4
Ace Attorney 7
Inazuma Eleven Ares

I know none of these games would not require an engine as advanced as UE4, but I can't think of any other Japanese games that are possibly in dev right now.

EDarkness

I think FFVII: R is timed on consoles. If I remember correctly, the first information we got was it was going to be on the PS4 first. Which leaves open the possibility it'll show up on other consoles.

Beckx

Does Konami use UE4? What engine is Powerful Pro 16 on? (I assume '18 would use the same engine.)

I can dream that UE4 will let them launch Pro Yakyuu Spirits 18. That game + Switch would be divine.

Namco's been playing around with Famista reboots, maybe they'll move off 3DS and go head-to-head with Konami soon. Long way to go though, the 3DS Famista games are nowhere close to PP.

It's the same with FFXV. The game is simply too powerful to run on this system. Expect more low end ports of FFXIII or something or mostly 7th gen 3rd Party games. This system isn't getting any graphically extensive AAA 3rd Party support from this generation. So stuff like FFXV, Red Dead Redemption 2, The Witcher 3, etc. You should pretty much rule out of every single major AAA 3rd Party game.

What the fuck

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Seriously
Well I mean we had two concerns about it. Did it sell well post launch (being out of stock could have been because of low shipments)? Is 3rd party support coming? This news is only a placeholder for titles that will be announced, but that's a positive sign. That's on top of the 100% Zelda attach rate news, the Lego City Undercover good port, confirming Switch is noticeably more powerful than Wii U with its 1080p upgrade and some next gen graphical features added, the positive analyst forecast, all these leading to Nintendo stock climbing. The Tumbleseed release date was also confirmed for May, 2nd. I'd take days like that every week.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
well might as well use the image I compiled on Japanese games using UE4 here. :p

Think most were already mentioned here except Let it Die and Rez:Infinite Area X which are already out and the new Naruto game coming out.

Oh, so did we get confirmation that the Valhalla/Soliel Naruto game is Unreal Engine 4?

Nintendo's internal studios are probably using their own tech but maybe some of their associated partners are using UE4. Wouldn't be surprised if Fire Emblem Switch was a UE4 game is what I'm saying.

It wouldn't count as a Japanese game, presumably, but Next Level Games appeared to be hiring for a UE4 project last year.

And I believe Nirolak suggested this in a previous thread, but if Nintendo is using UE4 for any internally developed projects, FE Switch would be one of the more plausible candidates, as there's no existing HD engine for the franchise for IS to build on.

I think FFVII: R is timed on consoles. If I remember correctly, the first information we got was it was going to be on the PS4 first. Which leaves open the possibility it'll show up on other consoles.

We don't know anything about the exclusivity deal except that it's Sony's for the foreseeable future. The most likely scenario is that it's PS4/PC only. Regardless Sony has full exclusivity until all parts are out on PS4 which''ll take a decade at this rate so you should just forget about that one.

KH3 is fair game since it's already on Xbox but it'lk have to be severely downgraded and I don't see SE bothering to do that.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Naruto Strikers is using UE4!?

EDarkness

We don't know anything about the exclusivity deal. The most likely scenario is that it's PS4/PC only. Regardless Sony has full exclusivity until all parts are out on PS4 which''ll take a decade at this rate so you should just forget about that one.

FFXV and KH3 are all fair game since they're already on Xbox but they'll have to be severely downgraded and I don't see SE bothering to do that.

They don't have to be severely downgraded. Sheesh. But the main issue with FFXV is the engine and we don't know how well it scales or what the underlying code is like. KH3 could run on the system and look great.

lol, does this include that idol manager VR game with the incredibly creepy faces (oh god why do I know this oh god)

hatchx

Banned
Really hoping Tekken and MvC Infinite make it over to Switch. Something about fighting games on portables just does it for me.

They don't have to be severely downgraded. Sheesh. But the main issue with FFXV is the engine and we don't know how well it scales or what the underlying code is like. KH3 could run on the system and look great.

You really underestimate KH3, don't you? If you play 0.2 on PS4 Pro you'll understand what I'm saying is true. Just because the games use a Pixaresque cartoon style doesn't mean they're not graphically extensive. The particle effects are taken straight from FFXV and the games use realistic lighting, plus etc.

The game on PS4 Pro is stunning and that's essentially an "early Alpha" to KH3. So the full game is going to look even better. So unless they severely downgrade the game it's not coming to the Switch.

Idk. I just don't see it happening.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Always said KH3 was going to hit Switch - many posters got really offended by even suggesting the possibility lol.
Open World titles ala DQ XI/Xenoblade 2 are possible but a downgraded KH3 is impossible ? Doesnt really add up in my book - but we will see.

EDarkness

You really underestimate KH3, don't you? If you play 0.2 on PS4 Pro you'll understand what I'm saying is true. Just because the games use a Pixaresque cartoon style doesn't mean their not graphically extensive. The particle effects are taken straight from FFXV and the games use realistic lighting, plus etc.

The game on PS4 Pro is stunning and that's essentially an "early Alpha" to KH3. So the full game is going to look even better. So unless they severely downgrade the game, it's not coming to the Switch.

Idk. I just don't see it happening.

Again, it doesn't have to be severely downgraded. Just look at the most recent ports of games on the three systems. The PRO obviously is gonna have more bells and whistles, but the NS version can and would look great still. You're really understating what the system can do. But it doesn't matter, if Square Enix wants to port the game...they will. I think they will, honestly.

killatopak

Does Konami use UE4? What engine is Powerful Pro 16 on? (I assume '18 would use the same engine.)

I can dream that UE4 will let them launch Pro Yakyuu Spirits 18. That game + Switch would be divine.

Namco's been playing around with Famista reboots, maybe they'll move off 3DS and go head-to-head with Konami soon. Long way to go though, the 3DS Famista games are nowhere close to PP.

Konami uses the fox engine iirc.

Back on topic,

I'd like to see Persona 5 on this. That's not pushing any graphical capabilities and I understand Sony has exclusivity on the mainline Persona's, but damn do I wish I could play Persona 5 on the game. I love it so much but taking it on the go and playing it anywhere I want, that would be amazing.

Another one I'd like on the go is Dark Souls. Dark Souls would be a party taking it everywhere. Dying everywhere.

That's about all I can think of right now. Everything else I'm fine with playing on PS4 since they look and run better. But I think these two can run on the system and still look good.

FFVII:R is never coming to Switch. It's "First on PS4" Sony has full timed exclusivity for the foreseeable future. Until all parts are out on PS4 it's not going anywhere. And the more likely scenario is that it's going to be PS4/PC only. Sony has their hand in it. People need to keep their expectations in check. This one is not happening.

Is it possible? Maybe. Is it going to happen? Probably not. It's the same with FFXV. The game is simply too powerful to run on this system. Expect more low end ports of FFXIII or something or mostly 7th gen 3rd Party games. This system isn't getting any graphically extensive AAA 3rd Party support from this generation. So stuff like FFXV, Red Dead Redemption 2, The Witcher 3, etc. You should pretty much rule out of every single major AAA 3rd Party game.

Did I see a post just like this a few days ago? That one was shot down fast too.

Top Bottom