• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic: There are 20+ Japanese Unreal Engine 4 games for Switch in development

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What are the main japanese UE4 games set to release besides DQXI?

For upcoming games:
- Final Fantasy VII
- Kingdom Hearts III
- Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite
- Shin Megami Tensei
- Bloodstained
- Tekken 7
- Ace Combat 7
- Shenmue 3

There's also about 10-12 games out so far that use it ranging from Summer Lesson to Street Fighter V to the new Neptunia to the Danganronpa VR game demo thing.

Most upcoming games are presumably unannounced.

DSII scholar 720/60 portable would make me happy during flights, the only souls I'm willing to give a replay. Love them all though.

For upcoming games:
- Final Fantasy VII
- Kingdom Hearts III
- Shin Megami Tensei
- Bloodstained
- Tekken 7
- Ace Combat 7
- Shenmue 3

There's also about 10-12 games out so far that use it ranging from Summer Lesson to Street Fighter V to the new Neptunia to the Danganronpa VR game demo thing.

Right. I think we'll see a lot of Unreal Engine 4 logos in Nintendo's E3 conference this year.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Persona 5 Golden?

Persona 5 itself is Atlus's internal engine, but given they're using UE4 for SMT, they're plausibly considering moving to a new tech base for future titles.

It's not like their toolset seemed to get Persona 5 out in a timely fashion, and development efficiency is normally your number one goal with an engine...

I'm assuming there's multiple Megaten spinoffs using UE4. They have HD assets from P5 and can go wild with them.

The SMT teaser was running in Unreal Engine 4, wern't all the models different to Persona 5?
atl.png

P5_08-26-16_003.jpg

I actually can't tell with the lighting.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Is Mario Odyssey using Unreal 4?

The rendering style looks very similar to 3D World's tech stack, so I would be surprised.

Reggie also didn't list it during his presentation at the Unreal Engine conference at GDC.

That said, Miyamoto implied at least someone at Nintendo is using the engine, though who it is seems to be an open question.

Also, if anyone was still doubting that Dragon Quest XI is based on the UE4 version, there it is.

Epic didn't say that, and the article actually puts a note about uncertainty of DQXI's engine.

That said, it's obviously the UE4 version, just not confirmed so 100% yet.

diaspora

For upcoming games:
- Final Fantasy VII
- Kingdom Hearts III
- Shin Megami Tensei
- Bloodstained
- Tekken 7
- Ace Combat 7
- Shenmue 3

Dragon Quest XI

Salvadora

Snake Pass was an impressive demonstration of Unreal Engine 4 on Switch and compared very favourably to the PS4/XB1 versions

Small in scope, sure, but it still makes me curious about how this will translate to other titles using the same engine.

Cerium

The rendering style looks very similar to 3D World's tech stack, so I would be surprised.

Reggie also didn't list it during his presentation at the Unreal Engine conference at GDC.

That said, Miyamoto implied at least someone at Nintendo is using the engine, though who it is seems to be an open question.

Probably IntSys or HAL.

Or hell, maybe even Retro.

LordKano

Epic didn't say that, and the article actually puts a note about uncertainty of DQXI's engine.

That said, it's obviously the UE4 version, just not confirmed so 100% yet.

Epic won't confirm it as it's not their job but they've proved that the Switch is capable enough to run japanese UE4 games, which was the doubting point of the few people arguing that DQXI on Switch isn't based on the PS4 version.

Persona 5 itself is Atlus's internal engine, but given they're using UE4 for SMT, they're plausibly considering moving to a new tech base for future titles.

It's not like their toolset seemed to get Persona 5 out in a timely fashion, and development efficiency is normally your number one goal with an engine...

It's still hard to believe that TMS #FE was their first HD console RPG, and only their second internally developed HD console release, period.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Kingdom Hearts 3.
Final Fantasy VII Remake.
Shenmue 3.
Tekken 7.
Rime.

KH3, im leaning towards no considering how long they have just been working on the PS4 and XB1 versions, or atleast not at launch.

FF7R, lol no.

Shenmue 3 we only know of a PC and PS4 port included in the kickstarter

Tekken 7 i would not be surprised to see eventually since tekken has been on everything besides vita, but nowhere near launch with PS4 and XB1

Rime is not Japanese

Zyrox

Nintendo's internal studios are probably using their own tech but maybe some of their associated partners are using UE4. Wouldn't be surprised if Fire Emblem Switch was a UE4 game is what I'm saying.

FFVII:R is never coming to Switch. It's "First on PS4" Sony has full timed exclusivity for the foreseeable future. Until all parts are out on PS4 it's not going anywhere. And the more likely scenario is that it's going to be PS4/PC only. Sony has their hand in it. People need to keep their expectations in check. This one is not happening.

As for KH3, that's possible since it's already on Xbox but the issue with that at its current state it would break the Switch because it's too weak. It's pretty much a slightly more powerful Wii U. Unless they severely downgrade it it's not happening.

I know people keep making that "UE4 scalable!" excuse but that's not how it works. My phone can run UE4. The Switch being able to run UE4 means jack shit. It uses a mobile processor and mobile chip. Come on guys.

Is it possible? Maybe. Is it going to happen? Probably not. It's the same with FFXV. The game is simply too powerful to run on this system. Expect more low end ports of FFXIII or something or mostly 7th gen 3rd Party games. This system isn't getting any graphically extensive AAA 3rd Party support from this generation. So stuff like FFXV, Red Dead Redemption 2, The Witcher 3, etc. You should pretty much rule out of every single major AAA 3rd Party game.

Again, keep your expectations in check. NIntendo fans do this to themselves every generation and you just end up back at the start. Being a Nintendo fan since the beginning I understand what you go through but please keep your expectations in check. Predict and ask for things that are likely to happen. Don't ask for the impossible because you will be disappointed at what's actually going to happen.

Didn't Next Level have a job listing looking for UE4 experience? Miyamoto could have been refering to them. Not sure they count as "Nintendo," but they're as close as you can get and Miyamoto would know if they were using UE4.

Top Bottom