• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jawbreaker to reunite after 21 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome news! It's been a great last few years for reunion shows/tours.

24 Hour Revenge Therapy and Bivouac are still heavy in my rotation.

Maybe they will play The Fest this year...

zerotol

Banned
I saw them on the Bivouac tour, 24 Hour tour, and the last show they ever played in Olympia back in 1996. I figured they would eventually reunite, but still kind of surprised to hear about this.

norm9

Love them. Dear You might be their best album but it's favorite. Beautiful poetry in that album. Too bad it didn't blow up.

I can finally die happily if I catch a Jawbreaker show. I went to the Choking Victim reunion show, now I just need this one. Come to New York, motherfuckers!

Viewt

Heh, it's funny, I was just looking at the Riot Fest line-up today (my girlfriend and I might go), and when I saw Jawbreaker, I was like, "When did they get back together?" Didn't know they were specifically reuniting for this.

Dude Jawbreaker and Hot Water Music...it's like my late 90s dream come true

That's Riot Fest for ya.

zerotol

Banned
Love them. Dear You might be their best album but it's favorite. Beautiful poetry in that album. Too bad it didn't blow up.

People fucking hated it when it came out. Dear You was seen as a betrayal because they signed to a major label and it was really slick sounding compared to their other records. The backlash they got for that album was insane! Time has been kind to it though. It holds up well.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
I'm so disappointed I'm not gonna be able to go Riot Fest this year.

I'm really hoping this is just the only "announced" show, and they do a full tour after Riot Fest

C.Mongler

I'll see ya in the pit in Chicago, GAF. Did like 6 double-takes this morning to make sure I wasn't misreading the band Jawbreaker Reunion's name for the umpteenth time.

punk noob here

hope i wasn't the only that expected:

MId0ppZ.jpg

damnit was hoping for pics of rose mcgowan

Glix

I AM FREAKING OUT AND ALREADY MAKING ARRANGEMENTS!!!

And agreed I wish it was just a show they were headlining but I will take what I can get!

The Fest is announcing its initial wave of bands tomorrow.

F I N G E R S x C R O S S E D

if they hit kc they'll save me so much time and money though

yea, i'd much rather see them at a headlining show than a festival tbh. unless it was FEST. god i want to go to FEST.

KC native now in Phoenix. Jawbreaker at The Uptown would be fucking rad. If they do announce a FEST appearance though, you guys should go. Best music festival in the States for this type of music. I'll be there for the fifth year in a row.

Also, while they removed his name for some reason, here's a review for the game Pandemonium! Blake wrote for GameSpot in '97: https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/pandemonium-review/1900-2545780/

Weird.

Ultima_5

KC native now in Phoenix. Jawbreaker at The Uptown would be fucking rad. If they do announce a FEST appearance though, you guys should go. Best music festival in the States for this type of music. I'll be there for the fifth year in a row.

Also, while they removed his name for some reason, here's a review for the game Pandemonium! Blake wrote for GameSpot in '97: https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/pandemonium-review/1900-2545780/

Weird.
uptown is great. the descendents are playing there later this year!

uptown is great. the descendents are playing there later this year!

Sweet! That'll be a great show. Their energy level at live shows is still insane.

I can finally die happily if I catch a Jawbreaker show. I went to the Choking Victim reunion show, now I just need this one. Come to New York, motherfuckers!

Yeah! Got to see CV play in Phoenix two days after last year's election. Very cathartic to say the least.

Was also present for a Leftover Crack show during Halloween a few years back where they broke up on stage and Stza came back out with a guitar to prevent a minor riot. Didn't work.

zerotol

Banned
The more I think about this, the more I'm convinced it will probably be weird as hell. Blake is a quirky dude. I interviewed him ten years ago. He had no interest in revisiting Jawbreaker as far as a reunion goes, but had no problem discussing the band. Time and money sway ideas occasionally. He said his favorite songs of his own were

Condition Oakland
Jet black
Boat dreams

norm9

The more I think about this, the more I'm convinced it will probably be weird as hell. Blake is a quirky dude. I interviewed him ten years ago. He had no interest in revisiting Jawbreaker as far as a reunion goes, but had no problem discussing the band. Time and money sway ideas occasionally. He said his favorite songs of his own were

Condition Oakland
Jet black
Boat dreams

So it'll be like The Pixies. Cool for a bit (catch them at this point) and then get get long in the tooth (too late at this point).

blackjaw

Heh, it's funny, I was just looking at the Riot Fest line-up today (my girlfriend and I might go), and when I saw Jawbreaker, I was like, "When did they get back together?" Didn't know they were specifically reuniting for this.

That's Riot Fest for ya.

Yep, now I'm probably going...

dickroach

So it'll be like The Pixies. Cool for a bit (catch them at this point) and then get get long in the tooth (too late at this point).

nahh I think it'll be more of a play 2 or 3 fests, headline a few shows in some bigger cities in the US, maybe a couple in Europe, and call it a day. sort of what like Pavement did a few years back

if they were just getting together for one reunion show it wouldn't be at a fest in Chicago with Nine Inch Nails and M.I.A.
and I don't think Blake is the type of the guy to milk it for more than it's worth to him.

zerotol

Banned

Possibly. They are one of the bands that are more popular years after they ended. From that time frame. Same with Unwound. Jawbreaker was big as far as an underground punk band goes (they absolutely were a punk band).

Ultima_5

Possibly. They are one of the bands that are more popular years after they ended. From that time frame. Same with Unwound. Jawbreaker was big as far as an underground punk band goes (they absolutely were a punk band).
and also the whole emo thing as much as they'd hate to admit

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Condition Oakland
Jet black
Boat dreams

Riot fest helps.

For a while everyone was trying to reunite at Coachella. The problem is going to Coachella had already become the "cool" thing to do.

That's why the Replacements famously reunited and the crowd was literally just standing around asking who these guys even were.

Granted it helps that Jawbreak is 86-96 vs 76-86 like a lot of Coachella reunites that went bad as they aren't sooo old as to be less remembered.

I think the Riot crowd will be better suited for this.

Futureman

I only have one tattoo and it's a Jawbreaker tat!

Cool news... I won't be making it to this show but maybe they play some other shows. Fingers crossed for a new album. I mean there's a good chance it wouldn't live up to their past work but Blake has been pretty silent recently so any new music is good.

I was actually just listening to Jets to Brazil the other day and wondering why Blake wasn't doing anything new recently (that I know of). I know there was the "thorns of life" (no official release as far as I know) and "forgetters" but that album didn't really grab me.

"24 Hour" is my fav album.

gbanting

I only have one tattoo and it's a Jawbreaker tat!

Cool news... I won't be making it to this show but maybe they play some other shows. Fingers crossed for a new album. I mean there's a good chance it wouldn't live up to their past work but Blake has been pretty silent recently so any new music is good.

I was actually just listening to Jets to Brazil the other day and wondering why Blake wasn't doing anything new recently (that I know of). I know there was the "thorns of life" (no official release as far as I know) and "forgetters" but that album didn't really grab me.

"24 Hour" is my fav album.

Forgetters album is great, give it another listen.

So the big gig was last night and it sounds like they killed it.

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/jawbre...turn-at-riot-fest-review-pics-videos-setlist/

http://www.billboard.com/articles/c...t-fest-jawbreaker-reunion-2017-chicago-review

https://www.stereogum.com/1963164/a...-became-rock-stars/franchises/sounding-board/

I wasn't there, but I did watch it on periscope and numerous vids today. They'd done two warm up shows prior so it technically wasn't their first show back, but Riot Fest certainly was their biggest stage. The amount of people watching from sidestage is crazy. Some of these reunion shows end up halfhearted just for the money affairs, I'm glad this didn't turn out that way. Now to cross my fingers that they do a tour and hit New England.

Did any GAFers see it live and in person?

Washed Up Emo podcast had a live episode with Blake.

They all seem keen on expanding this so it isn't a one-off (or two, since they had that San Fran show.)

A fair amount of people I follow on IG posted live story snippets of the show and they sounded fantastic.

Jawbox >>>>>>>>> Jawbreaker

Jawbox is really fucking good but I don't know that I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom