• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Anime" Malware Locks Your Files Unless You Play A Game

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
https://kotaku.com/anime-malware-locks-your-files-unless-you-play-a-game-1794120750

In 2017, even malware is anime. Anyone affected by the new malware Rensenware, named after the anime-style game Touhou Seirensen (Undefined Fantastic Object), has to score over 200 million points on the game's ”lunatic" level or they won't be able to access their computer files.

zyhycrppecwlpp23qlel.png

A Korea-based undergraduate student originally developed Rensenware as a joke. It's a pun on the name Touhou Seirensen, a 2009 Japanese shooting game. Affected users saw an anime sailor girl pop up on their dashboard. ”Minamitsu ‘The Captain' Murasa encrypted your precious data like documents, musics, pictures, and some kinda project files," she says. ”How can I recover my files? That's easy. You just play TH12 ~ Undefined Fantastic Object and score over 0.2 billion in LUNATIC level. This application will detect TH12 process[es] and score automatically."

”I was bored," its creator told me over e-mail. The creator fell asleep after releasing the joke onto GitHub, and when he woke up, he learned through Twitter that his malware had spread. ”I realized that it [had] become a huge accident and [was] confused," he said. He's not sure how many were affected, but added that, in the programming process, he'd accidentally infected himself. When asked whether he could score 0.2 billion himself, the creator said, ”Uh, oh.... nope."

After malware aficionados traced Rensenware to him, he immediately designed software that neutralized Rensenware and uploaded it to GitHub along with an apology. In it, he explained, ”I'd like to apologize [to] everyone for making [them] shocked, or annoyed. Ransomeware is definitely kind of highly-fatal malware, but I made it. I made it for [a] joke, and just laughing with people who like Touhou Project Series."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H2eVxy5keM

SomTervo

After malware aficionados traced Rensenware to him, he immediately designed software that neutralized Rensenware and uploaded it to GitHub along with an apology. In it, he explained, “I’d like to apologize [to] everyone for making [them] shocked, or annoyed. Ransomeware is definitely kind of highly-fatal malware, but I made it. I made it for [a] joke, and just laughing with people who like Touhou Project Series.”

Well thank fuck for that

patapuf

Bwahaha, That's almost more evil than asking for money.

I can only imagine some desperate dude trying to beat a bullet hell game on Lunatic to get his files back and never getting close.

Jintor

hahaha i'm glad i can laugh at this because it was just a practical joke that got out of hand

i'm imagining the movie tho

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
lol imagine your one of the best players of that game and companies hire you to unlock their systems.

Yokai

Thankfully he made a counter agent. Unfortunately, since it is open source on github, there will be variations popping up that will be different enough to not be affected by the cure. Anyway, be careful with your downloads everyone!

Diablos

Watched some YouTube vids, game looks like a pain in the arse to play. Great music though.

Hopefully there's a way around this besides playing.

NoKisum

Bwahaha, That's almost more evil than asking for money.

I can only imagine some desperate dude trying to beat a bullet hell game on Lunatic to get his files back and never getting close.
Or someone who keeps getting close, but is always just a few points shy of the goal.

tkscz

How did so many people download it? I mean, it was dumb for the guy to upload it, but I doubt he expected anyone to actually download it. How did it spread so fast?

Yes and he released a fix himself.

And It's Touhou Project, a shmup series (mainly) by Zun. Not a fucking anime.

If it looks like a duck

Jetman

Hey, maybe he's just trying to create a market/demand for Touhou pro's. If he hadn't created an anti virus for it, a business would have to hire Touhou experts to high score and unlock their stuff.

He could give some GAF'ers work if he created some malware that only pro's on this board could unlock. Imagine a virus where you had to play Winnie the Poohs Homerun Derby and beat Christopher Robin in under an hour.
lol

GunBR

He’s not sure how many were affected, but added that, in the programming process, he’d accidentally infected himself. When asked whether he could score 0.2 billion himself, the creator said, “Uh, oh…. nope.”

This is amazing

I'm now imagining some businessman in Korea getting hit by this and has been working a week straight trying to master Touhou before his boss finds out what happened.

He WOULD use Unidentified Fantastic Object as the ransom game. Couldn't be nice and choose Mountain of Faith or Ten Desires or something.

How did so many people download it? I mean, it was dumb for the guy to upload it, but I doubt he expected anyone to actually download it. How did it spread so fast?

If it looks like a duck

Until recently, long story short, getting the touhou games outside of Japan was difficult, if not impossible and very expensive. Probably a lot of torrenting going on.

MKIL65

He WOULD use Unidentified Fantastic Object as the ransom game. Couldn't be nice and choose Mountain of Faith or Ten Desires or something.

People would still fail to complete that, even on Easy mode. And EVEN with Marisa B.

Especially given that Kanako's final spellcard is more difficult on Easy than Lunatic, thanks ZUN.

Until recently, long story short, getting the touhou games outside of Japan was difficult, if not impossible and very expensive. Probably a lot of torrenting going on.

It still kind of is. Only one of the games is on Playism iirc, and not even the most recent one. If you want them, you still have to import CDs from Japan.

It still kind of is. Only one of the games is on Playism iirc, and not even the most recent one. If you want them, you still have to import CDs from Japan.

I'm still annoyed about how that went. I guess it's nice to say that I was able to spend money on an official Touhou title, even if the damn thing wasn't released in English so I had to use my old translation patch anyways. Got to make my first OT too.

WarRock

He’s not sure how many were affected, but added that, in the programming process, he’d accidentally infected himself. When asked whether he could score 0.2 billion himself, the creator said, “Uh, oh…. nope.”
ahahahahahahahaha

Top Bottom