• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Female gamers, devs discuss Bayonetta's portrayal of women in games

maxcriden

I thought this was a really great interview, with some thoughtful and well-considered questions and responses.

#3. How do you feel about the way that the Bayonetta franchise presents its female characters, especially the lead playable character, "Bayonetta"? Do you think there are problematic / sexist elements involved, or "over-sexualization" of the females? On the other hand, do you find Bayonetta, as a "strong female lead" to be an empowering character in any way?

Alicia Andrew: As a developer, sexualization of characters is a topic that's come up in some great discussions. I use Bayonetta as an example of "sexy" done right. A lot of the discussion about female representation seems to get stuck at whether its appropriate for a character to be "sexy". Some people see the discussion around the dislike for the "chain-mail bikini" as a form of censorship or a push towards characters they see as potentially boring or downright prudish. I see the discussion as more nuanced than just an issue of cleavage. In my opinion, it's an issue of ownership.

Its complicated, but I think desperately important, that while we understand that sexuality is healthy and has a place in our media, a lot of the backlash around the proverbial "chain-mail bikini" is because often, the female character is made to be sexualized not sexy. She has little to no perceived ownership of how her body is displayed, dressed, or presented. This mindset leads to sometimes ridiculous character designs, such as Mythril Bikinis for the epic journey to the gates of hell, and breasts on alien rock creatures.

To me, Bayonetta owns her sexuality. It seems, whether intentionally or unintentionally, that the tight pants, the flirty quips, the languid posing, are all that character's choice. Bayonetta, the character, enjoys her sexuality. She is choosing to display it in this manner, and is inviting you in on the fun. It's wonderfully refreshing to have a character that seems in control of her sexy bits. She's not a inanimate object with breasts heaving in the wind, but a woman flirting. To me that's sexy done right.

To clarify, I'm not saying that we should take away titillating armor mods in Skyrim, or anything of that nature. But if you want to have a female character be more than just decoration, AND you want her sexuality to be part of that character, then creating that sense of ownership is important.

In this I think Bayonetta has done something great, and a lot of female players have responded to it. Initially I had no interest in the game, filing it into the "another game with heaving breasts" category. A friend of mine talked my ear off about how much she loved it, and why. I gave it a shot, and loved all of it. If I had the height, I'd cosplay the hell out of Bayonetta or Jeanne.

Emily Gitelman: I think the female characters in Bayonetta are presented incredibly poorly, and certainly over sexualized. They're a male fantasy, completely. I'm going to focus on Bayonetta herself. To start with her physical appearance, Bayonetta is built like a super model, has a sexy English accent, and walks around in a skin-tight catsuit that disappears and basically gives her censor bars when she casts spells. It's practically a reward for the player: use a powerful attack; see a naked woman. As soon as Bayonetta displays power, she is stripped of her clothing and her dignity. When her health runs too low, her catsuit also disappears. The symbolism (lip marks, flowers, butterflies) used in her attacks is very stereotypically feminine in a way that box female sexuality into a narrow category. These are calculated ways of making her seem like a Strong Female Character, but they actually undercut her agency and power as the lead character of a franchise.

It's insulting to think that Bayonetta could be viewed as a positive, empowering character because she is plainly a sex object. When Hideki Kamiya, the director of Bayonetta, and Yusuke Hashimoto, one of the producers on the project, were making the interview rounds, they said really sexist things about women. In an interview with 1UP, Hashimoto said that Bayonetta couldn't be over sexualized because she didn't have large breasts (which is obviously not the only facet of over sexualization). In the same article, he said that Bayonetta isn't "all about showing skin," but she's constantly on display as a sex object because of her tight outfit, posture, and husky voice.

Basically, the men in charge of how Bayonetta is portrayed have made their opinions about how women should look and dress and be visually appealing to themselves and other men make it entirely obvious that Bayonetta is treated as a sex object. Because of that, I definitely don't find Bayonetta to be empowering. In fact, she is the opposite.

Erica Hollinshead Stead: I somewhat ventured into this question's territory above. I don't think that something can be "certified" non-sexist, to use a phrase I read somewhere and can't remember where. I also don't know if I necessarily go in for the "strong female lead" thing. Certainly, I want a world where most female characters aren't the embodiment of weakness. But I'm not sure that "strong" makes top of my list of adjectives I want to use to describe more female characters. If I were to throw out some words that might top my list, it would likely be something like "individual", "unique", "complex", "well defined", maybe even "multi-faceted". I feel like Bayonetta meets a few of these.

Tangent aside, after having played the game, I do not find Bayonetta's character problematic. Its a complex set of factors that lead me to that conclusion, one being that Bayonetta has, in my opinion, unique aspects to her aside from sexuality/sexualization. Even just appearance wise, Bayonetta has a specific aesthetic aside from "sexy" - I feel as if I could choose clothing that she would like at a mall - not just any old sexy thing from Victoria's Secret is going to be her taste; just grabbing a garment because it is revealing wouldn't be her taste. I also think the humor and tongue-in-cheek aspect of the dialog is context that matters. Bayonetta feels very "in on the joke" if you can say that about a fictional character; it felt to me as if when she utilized sexy stylization, she was making a choice to style herself that way. Its certainly subjective, but to me, Bayonetta felt like a full character who was self-styling herself as a cavalier vampy goth badass, rather than a shell of male fantasies.

I think that its the environment that Bayonetta the game exists in that causes the perception of Bayonetta as sexist more than Bayonetta the character in the game. It is a world in which developing a full female character IS often sacrificed for sex appeal and stereotypes, and a realistic gender ratio is often traded for a single token girl that only provides a single vision of women. But I do think its important to leave room for the possibility that sexy doesn't always equal bad. For me, many of the things cited as "bad" about Bayonetta could be charges leveled at me. If Bayonetta's hip pop and tight outfit are bad, then how can I not be "part of the problem" if I gravitate towards tight (or god forbid revealing) clothing, and tend to stand with my hip popped, AND want to create and see characters that are similar to me in that aesthetic? I want to see more female characters who aren't sexy in that way too, but it doesn't mean I never want to see a character who fancies herself a pin up.

I have seen some marketing pieces for Bayonetta that I do think lack the full picture of Bayonetta's character, and so I understand how one could see them and be concerned. Its hard to contain all of the nuance in a still image for example. But, having played the game I do not find the game itself problematic.

#4. The character designer for Bayonetta is a woman, Mari Shimazaki. How does this affect your views on the designs of the female characters, sexualization, etc.?

Alicia Andrew: I think a good Character Designer should design for the world and narrative their characters live in. I like the idea of more female Character Designers, but it didn't weigh in on my judgment of the Bayonetta design.

Emily Gitelman: Not to diminish Mari Shimazaki's work, but the fact that was the character designer was a woman doesn't really mean much to me in this context. The inherent issue here is that Bayonetta has clearly been created with the male gaze in mind-- her creators are men who have voiced strong opinions about how women should look and how they should act. They created their own personal bombshell dreamgirl though Bayonetta. A woman can still have problematic views of women, and women internalize the male gaze all the time, which can lead to designs like Bayonetta's.

Erica Hollinshead Stead: It doesn't change much for me; Bayonetta looks similar to some of the fashion figures I drew in my school sketchbooks, so I wasn't surprised that the design could come from a woman. There's also no rule that a woman can't generate something problematic - I've read many blogs on "How to Treat Your Husband" written by females that I find incredibly problematic. But it does take the wind out of some arguments I've seen that go something like "What woman would want to dress like that?" (And also.. um... probably me. But not at work.)

Kimberly: I heard this fact a few times during the first game's release, but just like the "I know a girl who liked it" argument, it usually sounded a lot like justification. "A woman designed Bayonetta so she's can't be sexist." At the time this rang hollow to me, and still does. Designers don't work in a bubble, and directors and producers still get final approval over the finished design.

However, reading through Mari Shimazaki's notes about Bayonetta's design for the second game is absolutely one of the things that made me decide to play through them. She honestly seems to love the character, and worked hard to capture Bayonetta's strength and personality.

Ultimately, Bayonetta being designed by a woman doesn't objectively prove anything about the Bayonetta games. I do find the design process and the creators' intent to be interesting though, so I'm really glad that Mari Shimazaki has been has been vocal about these elements.

Laura: That doesn't affect my opinions at all. I'm sure there are many women who disagree with me and have very different experiences and views on this matter - none of our feelings are any less valid than another.

Lily: This doesn't matter. Like at all. Mari Shimazaki is a talented woman, I love what she's done, but I didn't know that when I played the first Bayonetta, and it doesn't really change my opinion. Women are just as capable of men as being sexist toward women. There's this handy thing called internalized sexism. I don't think she has been maliciously sexist, though, and I don't think the producers particularly have been. They wanted to make a woman who could only act within tropes and styles that women can act in. I'm not sure of how their design team works. She could have contributed way more, or they could just be trotting her out as a shield, but I don't know how it is, and I think it's unfair to make negative judgments without details.

Vivian "SJ" James
: Mari Shimazaki at one point said that Bayonetta's design was more along the lines of what she thinks is attractive as opposed to what the director of the first game thinks is attractive. I don't know what Shimazaki's sexuality is, but I do know that it's far too rare that women get a say in the creation of these characters, and I think it's important for the industry that more women like Shimazaki be involved in the creative process for these kinds of games. I've also heard the producer of Bayonetta 2 is a woman, which is another cool, important thing to me.

There's a ton more in the full interview, especially at the second link, so please take the time to read it:

http://www.negativeworld.org/featur...-bayonetta-franchise-part-1-of-2#.VExBAufL05p

http://www.negativeworld.org/featur...-bayonetta-franchise-part-2-of-2#.VExBHefL05o

Silky

Banned
"Vivian "SJ" James"

Hm.

Finished reading it. Liked the different perspectives. Though some of the responses seem sensationalistic, it was a fun read.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Alicia Andrew's opinion is spot on, and tackles the issue a lot of threads and discussions on here in a much more eloquent manner than I would. A woman may choose to wear a very sexualised outfit, but it's not believable a woman would choose to wear a 'chain-mail bikini'.

JDSN

Banned
I love how they all agree that the creator of the character being female itself doesnt matter either way in terms of a potentially problematic representation, except for the guy calling himself Vivian "SJ" James online and pretending to be a woman concern trolling.

SerTapTap

Vivian "SJ" James

That pseudonym, seriously? What 4channer is that?

Anyway, like that they got a variety of viewpoints, though there's really no consensus on the issue to be had IMO. I just enjoy seeing multiple points in one article rather than the clickbait "here's why Bayonetta is the (best/worst) thing to happen to women in games" style article.

I almost agree that gender of the character designer shouldn't matter, but I frankly find it a bit gross that when a dude designs a female character that's ammo against the character, but when it's a woman suddenly gender doesn't matter. To pretend gender doesn't matter in things like this is pretty gross IMO, and undermines pushes toward diversity--to follow that logic to an extreme, suddenly diversity of workers doesn't matter either and that's simply not the case. I don't like seeing gender being pushed aside especially only in very specific circumstances. Yes, a woman can create a character that follows lame/harmful tropes, but that doesn't mean that women creating content is not an important goal, which (most) responses to question 4 could be taken to mean.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Very good piece. And yeah, utterly unsurprising that a lot of people have very different perspectives on Bayonetta as a character, but I think the fact that there's even a reasonable discussion to be had is fascinating and valuable

kick51

Banned
Vivian "SJ" James

wait a minute....

sd54eZp.jpg

haha "SJ" like "Social Justice"

what on earth

Hubb

Alicia Andrew's opinion is spot on, and tackles the issue a lot of threads and discussions on here in a much more eloquent manner than I would. A woman may choose to wear a very sexualised outfit, but it's not believable a woman would choose to wear a 'chain-mail bikini'.

A lot of things in games aren't believable and I'd like to leave it that way. The first thing I do in any game I play is "hide helmet", I'm looking at you Destiny.

SerTapTap

I think it is just someone using that as their pseudonim, not the actual fictional character

It's still pretty weird and I'd be pretty suspect of someone using a pseudonym as "tainted" as that in such a related discussion. Would be like taking comments from a "Reginald Gae Mergator" on the topic of game journalism ethics.

Not to say anyone's opinion is invalid just, pick a less tonedeaf pseudonym

The Technomancer

Love this bit, fully agree
I think that its the environment that Bayonetta the game exists in that causes the perception of Bayonetta as sexist more than Bayonetta the character in the game. It is a world in which developing a full female character IS often sacrificed for sex appeal and stereotypes, and a realistic gender ratio is often traded for a single token girl that only provides a single vision of women. But I do think its important to leave room for the possibility that sexy doesn't always equal bad. For me, many of the things cited as "bad" about Bayonetta could be charges leveled at me. If Bayonetta's hip pop and tight outfit are bad, then how can I not be "part of the problem" if I gravitate towards tight (or god forbid revealing) clothing, and tend to stand with my hip popped, AND want to create and see characters that are similar to me in that aesthetic? I want to see more female characters who aren't sexy in that way too, but it doesn't mean I never want to see a character who fancies herself a pin up.

Sexiness isn't bad. Thoughtless sexualization just tends to be.

as someone who loves Bayonetta the game and the character, the gamergate train of thinking "durr a girl designed her so she's above criticism of sexism/poor characterization/sexualization" is, has always been, and will always be dogshit

The Technomancer

Regarding this bit here:
Lily said:
Things kind of doubles up with the attractive bit, too. Bayonetta is meant to be attractive and desirable. Your mileage may vary if she is to you, but the intent of her designer was to make her attractive. Like almost every other woman in a game I can think of.

I'm still not entirely convinced this is actually the case. I've mentioned it before but its actually kind of funny how ubiquitous the responses of "well I as a man don't find her attractive but she's clearly supposed to be sexualized for other men" were. Everyone thinks that Bayonetta is supposed to be desirable to someone else, but I haven't really seen anyone yet who says that Bayonetta is desirable to them

(okay I know they exist, but there are people who find Sonic characters desirable, my point is that I'm oddly not actually seeing them represented, which makes me wonder just how large that group is)

Also I just agree with Lily's perspectives pretty much throughout
Lily: I can be really hard on League of Legends and superhero comic books for their very cheesecake designs. I think the prime difference for why these bug me more than Bayonetta, is that League of Legends and comic books tend to be incidentally cheesecake-y. By which I mean, the characters personalities aren't sexual at all. They're only sexual looking, but otherwise those sorts of details are passed up. These are presented as, character-wise, serious women with serious things to do like being heroes, but then they dress like, well, it's stuff I'd feel nervous to go to the beach in sometimes.

SerTapTap

as someone who loves Bayonetta the game and the character, the gamergate train of thinking "durr a girl designed her so she's above criticism of sexism/poor characterization/sexualization" is, has always been, and will always be dogshit

I don't think it's fair to say it doesn't matter "like at all" either though. I think it's pretty ridiculous to assume the game industry's sexism issues have zero issue to do with it's extremely lopsided gender ratio (for both creators and, in "core" markets, consumers). It is certainly the case that a woman can create a sexist thing, I don't think it should be treated as though women creators are irrelevant and frankly that's how a lot of the responses to question 4 sound.

You can't talk about "male gaze" this, Gender ratio that, then pretend gender is irrelevant when it happens to be a woman in charge. A female designer is neither "irrelevant" nor is it a "get out of sexism free" token.

mollipen

I love Bayonetta. I don't dismiss anyone who takes issue with her, but I really do love the character, and I'm one to quickly complain about a lot of the female representation in gaming.

To be fair, though, when you like something, you're more willing to overlook its faults. So, I'm not saying that that isn't the case, nor that Bayonetta is perfect,

For me, one of the tests is this question: would I want to be this character? And if I ask that is Bayo, the answer is absolutely yes.

emily gitelman completely butchered what hashimoto was saying which was he wanted to avoid the stereotypical way japanese studios show sexiness which is with bust size.

he actually says she was intended to be sexy.

the rest of the antibayonetta crew have fair enough opinions.

Regarding this bit here:

I'm still not entirely convinced this is actually the case. I've mentioned it before but its actually kind of funny how ubiquitous the responses of "well I as a man don't find her attractive but she's clearly supposed to be sexualized for other men" were. Everyone thinks that Bayonetta is supposed to be desirable to someone else, but I haven't really seen anyone yet who says that Bayonetta is desirable to them

(okay I know they exist, but there are people who find Sonic characters desirable, my point is that I'm oddly not actually seeing them represented, which makes me wonder just how large that group is)

Also I just agree with Lily's perspectives pretty much throughout

About Lily's quote, I actually have to disagree with the superhero part. I know it's anecdotal but I used to work in a comic book store, and I have seen the disappoint in the face of some girls when they read about new 52 Starfire, since a lot of people know her from the Teen Titans cartoon. There are a lot of cases where they are presented as sexual beings, such as She-Hulk having flings with various super heroes, and Catwoman doing the dirty with Batman in some random apartment. Many of them are cheesecake and sexual. Though to be fair there are multiple interpretations of most superheroes out there, so a character can change a lot from writer to writer.

edit: I do agree with you about Bayonetta being attractive to someone but not to me. I always saw her with the proportions of Jack Skellington with breasts. Though she fights cool so it's good enough for me to like her as a character, not really attracted to her though.

Lady Gaia

One of my favorite things about Bayonetta is that it practically demands conversation. You can't ignore its powerful imagery even if you've been largely desensitized to the portrayal of women in other games, and it's equally hard to dismiss it as pure misogyny. People who enjoy the game still tend to acknowledge that they're aware of how voyeuristic the game makes them feel, and so forth. So the game is practically a starter kit for a dialogues about women and sexuality in games. How great is that?

Of course I feel somewhat conflicted about it myself as a woman who is attracted to other women, and I think that's healthy and entirely intended. Is the game not completely over-the-top in every other respect as well? The language, treatment of religion, and every aspect of the plot and imagery is just too insane to ignore or take completely seriously.

anaron

I love seeing this sort of roundtable discussion with women in the industry. I think all of them make very valid, thoughtful points and that having women, -- specifically -- industry ones is so important in the conversation's foundation.

The Technomancer

About Lily's quote, I actually have to disagree with the superhero part. I know it's anecdotal but I used to work in a comic book store, and I have seen the disappoint in the face of some girls when they read about new 52 Starfire, since a lot of people know her from the Teen Titans cartoon. There are a lot of cases where they are presented as sexual beings, such as She-Hulk having flings with various super heroes, and Catwoman doing the dirty with Batman in some random apartment. Many of them are cheesecake and sexual. Though to be fair there are multiple interpretations of most superheroes out there, so a character can change a lot from writer to writer.

Oh absolutely! Bayonetta is an amazing example of what a sexually confident, aggressive female character might look like, but even if she's "better" than sexualized characters without justifying characterization I wouldn't want every female protagonist to be like her, and I would roll my eyes as well if every female character had to have their blatant sexuality as part of their character

Oh absolutely! Bayonetta is an amazing example of what a sexually confident, aggressive female character might look like, but even if she's "better" than sexualized characters without justifying characterization I wouldn't want every female protagonist to be like her, and I would roll my eyes as well if every female character had to have their blatant sexuality as part of their character

Oh wait, nvm. I'm a dumbass. She said that superhero designs and LoL bug her MORE than Bayonetta. I thought she was saying the opposite. I actually agree with her then.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
One of my favorite things about Bayonetta is that it practically demands conversation. You can't ignore its powerful imagery even if you've been largely desensitized to the portrayal of women in other games, and it's equally hard to dismiss it as pure misogyny. People who enjoy the game still tend to acknowledge that they're aware of how voyeuristic the game makes them feel, and so forth. So the game is practically a starter kit for a dialogues about women and sexuality in games. How great is that?

Of course I feel somewhat conflicted about it myself as a woman who is attracted to other women, and I think that's healthy and entirely intended. Is the game not completely over-the-top in every other respect as well? The language, treatment of religion, and every aspect of the plot and imagery is just too insane to ignore or take completely seriously.

Yeah, the overall exaggeration present in Bayonetta is often overlooked. People tend to focus on her super sexual proportions and mannerisms, but somehow ignore that she starts the game off by
kicking a crash-landing fighter jet into the air and then jumping on top of it.
If anything, a Bayonetta with subdued features and only subtle hints at sexuality would feel out of place.

rexor0717

I thought Emily brought up good points but I don't really agree with her conclusions. Its nice to read more women's opinions on games though.

Ratrat

She's either a sexist representation or an empowering one? Why can't she just be a decent character not meant to be taken seriously? There are a lot of other sexy video game characters who own their sexuality. And men totally find that attractive.

Griss

Some thoughts:
1. Interesting idea for an article, but no idea why they let some (presumable) dude in as 'Vivian James' with all the baggage that brings.

2. Agree completely with Alicia’s take in the OP, but strangely find myself agreeing with a lot of what Emily says, despite the fact that she comes to a completely different conclusion, one that I disagreed with.

3. Loved this line: ‘But I do think its important to leave room for the possibility that sexy doesn't always equal bad.’ The argument that having sexy women in media is sexist drives me up the wall. There's a problem with too much sexualisation of women without proper context. Absolutely. When it's in context, sexy is great.

4. I feel like the word ‘problematic’ should be banned from the internet. (I'm not calling for an actual ban.) It totally ruins the first question posed with its gross vagueness. ‘Is it sexist’ is the issue at hand, and ‘is it problematic’ lowers the standard of proof required to almost nothing, because it is a word that no longer means much of anything. The 'problem' presented is never explained when people use this word. If the problem is that it is sexist, then the word sexist should be used on its own.

I haven't got through all of the answers, I'm gonna go back now and read some more. I do agree with the people who say that Bayonetta isn't meant to actually be attractive to the player, though. I think she's designed so that we know that she's attractive in HER world, but we don't, as players, personally find her sexually attractive because of her odd proportions. Thus making her sexuality a character trait rather than an appeal to male sexuality, thus making her an interesting character. I realise tons of people don't see it that way though.

Ratrat

I haven't got through all of the answers, I'm gonna go back now and read some more. I do agree with the people who say that Bayonetta isn't meant to actually be attractive to the player, though. I think she's designed so that we know that she's attractive in HER world, but we don't, as players, personally find her sexually attractive because of her odd proportions. Thus making her sexuality a character trait rather than an appeal to male sexuality, thus making her an interesting character. I realise tons of people don't see it that way though.
I find this baffling. How is she not supposed to be attractive. How does that make a shred of sense when making a video game. I've been reading reviews on Amazon.co.jp and it's pretty obvious she is seen in a certain way. Mainly by guy who want to be stepped on and called a pig.

Love this bit, fully agree

Sexiness isn't bad. Thoughtless sexualization just tends to be.

Yeah, that's a choice quote. I think for the most part a lot of the backlash against sexist characters comes from people being conditioned to assume things are sexist. Guilty until proven innocent. Since Bayonetta is so difficult to prove innocent -- since she's a highly sexual character -- it's pretty hard to sway people's opinion of her.

That said, I think a lot of people are very conservatively minded and view sexualization as being sexist, when it certainly isn't always. Kind of an interesting psychological issue since so many of these things are impacted by the way people perceive something, and not necessarily what it actually is. (hopefully this makes sense, I'm struggling to articulate the thought)

TEJ

She's either a sexist representation or an empowering one? Why can't she just be a decent character not meant to be taken seriously? There are a lot of other sexy video game characters who own their sexuality. And men totally find that attractive.

I don't find bayonetta to be sexy. It's a bit off-putting when they have the crotch shots/butt shots/etc

That being said, otherwise she's one of the funniest and coolest game protagonists out there. She makes me genuinely laugh, something most games fail to do. Whenever I play bayonetta I don't think "I'm playing as this sexy stripper character" I think "i'm playing as one badass lady who can wield a katana and shoot rockets from a rocket launcher attached to her legs and that is FUCKING AWESOME"".

Ratrat

I don't find bayonetta to be sexy. It's a bit off-putting when they have the crotch shots/butt shots/etc

That being said, otherwise she's one of the funniest and coolest game protagonists out there. She makes me genuinely laugh, something most games fail to do. Whenever I play bayonetta I don't think "I'm playing as this sexy stripper character" I think "i'm playing as one badass lady who can wield a katana and shoot rockets from a rocket launcher attached to her legs and that is FUCKING AWESOME"".
Thats basically me as well, she's hilarious. That doesn't change the intent of the devs or the fact that many do find her sexy.

Canucked

I'm glad people are exploring these things through discussion and sharing views. Threads like this help to reassure that were all exploring media we like.

Cool post, kinda in question about why Mari Shizamaki's sexuality matters. Also there are plenty of female character designers in Japan. Kinu Nishimura and Ayami Kojima are my favorites.

Tripon

Accordian to the article, the person who is using the Vivian James monkier was a former games reviewer that left the industry.

I found it interesting that the folks with the most negative views were the ones who'd only seen snippets of the game on YouTube, out of context.

DedValve

Banned
One thing that I found interesting was that when Bayonetta was first announced I remember a lot of online discussions criticizing not only having a female lead but having an ugly one at that. Up until near release I kept hearing how her breasts where too small and head even smaller, how exaggerated her legs where, her eyeglasses which where a total turn off and how she came across as a dominatrix (read: intimidating and confident).

That suddenly seemed to stop in the forums I ventured upon release of the game but a lot of male gamers I spoke to during that period considered bayonetta to be ugly.

This is of course my anecdotal evidence but I just found it interesting.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Bayonetta takes everything about itself to the extreme, and such a piece of work will naturally be polarizing. While Bayonetta does get entirely written off as simplistically sexist and bad by some, the variety of strong opinions by female observers and critics that go in every direction suggest it's not that easy.

I do agree with the suggestion that the biggest problem Bayonetta has is the environment it exists in. Some people are inevitably going to have trouble seeing Bayonetta as anything more than a contributor to very generalized sexist imagery.

wsippel

Banned
Thats basically me as well, she's hilarious. That doesn't change the intent of the devs or the fact that many do find her sexy.
I think the character works because it combines all those elements on display. Her appearance, both visually and behavioral, just oozes confidence.

Top Bottom