• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Merely talking about racism isn't harmful. Why do people think that it is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's something that shows up here routinely, and it deserves it's own topic, lest it take up space in other threads.

If someone talks about racism in response to, say, a "police kill unarmed black youth who was doing nothing wrong" story, it does not:
  • brand the word "racist" on the officer's forehead
  • distract people from possible practical improvements that can be made (e.g. better training and protocols for officers)
  • "cheapen" the terribleness of incidents of more blatant, explicit racism
And many more.

What makes people think the above happens when people bring up racism? Even if these were the case, why would anyone think they're worth mentioning?

Bronx-Man

Banned
People would rather avoid conversations that need to be had instead of confronting them head on. That and somewhere down the line getting called racist was seen as more horrifying to white America than actually doing something racist.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
It makes them uncomfortable, so they don't want to talk about it, so they dismiss it.

Because "context doesn't matter" is a slogan people frighteningly stand behind.
Single words in a complex thought can end any discussion now. 'Future times!

commedieu

Banned
In America at least. There has never been a coming to terms with racism. Laws change, but sentiment stays the same.

L Thammy

What you fail to realize is that racist is actually an ethnic slur for white people despite what the dictionary may tell you, and it is probably worse than all the other ethnic slurs out there.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Also, white people don't understand the full range of impacts racism has nor the full spectrum of its manifestations. So cognitively, they often just aren't getting how something might be a result of racism because their own experience has shielded them from racialization.

Jarsonot

I think it might cheapen arguments. Take the young man shot in TX. It's possible that the cop didn't see anyone in the car before he shot him. If we label the shooting as racially motivated and then it comes out that he couldn't even see anyone someone could point to that and say "see, you just call everything racist. Maybe things aren't so bad."

I think discussing racism is absolutely ok and necessary, btw.

Edit: lol at all the racism already in this topic. Tell me more about what white people do and think. =)

If we label the shooting as racially motivated and then it comes out that he couldn't even see anyone someone could point to that and say "see, you just call everything racist. Maybe things aren't so bad."

And that person would be an idiot not worthy listening to.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
A lot people understand "racist" = "bad".

What they don't understand is what racism actually is, or the many forms it can take. Outside of extreme cases of open-and-shut racism, they're very reluctant to use the word, which probably for them carries the same severity as "i'm going to fuck and kill your mother".

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
That's completely untrue, I'm happy to talk about race, it is ofcourse extremely difficult now days since the left has branded every fucking thing racist.
Since you're happy to talk about race, keep going.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
That's completely untrue, I'm happy to talk about race, it is ofcourse extremely difficult now days since the left has branded every fucking thing racist.

Is your position that you only want to talk about race if everyone will validate your feelings on the subject? There are safe spaces for that, like therapy or 4chan, but anywhere else people are just as willing, able, and permitted to express their feelings on the subject as you are.

On average yes but most posters on here are perfectly fine talking about it and admitting the failures of our own race.

That's only a result of our good moderation. Had this place been treated like reddit and such then I'm confident it'd be full of white denial. And I'll go a step further and say it's probably only limited to those who frequent off-topic that are willing to admit fault. Go into any race thread gaming side and it's full of people not wanting to talk about it.

Fear of confronting the fact that modern society and modern people not only aren't perfect but down right aggressively harmful to people who don't fit a narrow parameter(s). That's why there's such an interest in using abolition or the election of Obama as "the end of racism". People are desperate for it to end so they can feel good about themselves and the time they live in and justify their apathy to the continued marginalization of minorities.

I agree with Elvis. Here's an example of a GAFfer calling out others as racist if they disagree with him on the subject of race. Why are liberals so fragile that they need to project like this?

Savage.

People (racists) don't want to talk about racism because it would force them to address that they are not as good as they ideally see themselves as.

That's only a result of our good moderation. Had this place been treated like reddit and such then I'm confident it'd be full of white denial. And I'll go a step further and say it's probably only limited to those who frequent off-topic that are willing to admit fault. Go into any race thread gaming side and it's full of people not wanting to talk about it.
Sure but what I'm saying is we can have a real discussion on here. Well at least some of us can.

Heroman

Banned
White People don't want to think about how much race and racsim plays apart in almost every part of American life

Some people dont want to admit others have it harder than them because of the colour of their skin. Makes their struggle in life feel less significant or something.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I agree with Elvis. Here's an example of a GAFfer calling out others as racist if they disagree with him on the subject of race. Why are liberals so fragile that they need to project like this?
257.gif

White people don't want to talk about race. It makes them feel unconformable.

What you fail to realize is that racist is actually an ethnic slur for white people despite what the dictionary may tell you, and it is probably worse than all the other ethnic slurs out there.

Maybe for some white people, if we are talking about strictly white people here, it might be that comments like these make them feel attacked for simply existing and do more to create an environment of unnecessary hostility then let' say...

Also, white people don't understand the full range of impacts racism has nor the full spectrum of its manifestations. So cognitively, they often just aren't getting how something might be a result of racism because their own experience has shielded them from racialization.

... A comment like this that actually allows for discourse.

Jarsonot

I like being white, in fact I am proud to be white... Apparently it serves me well. There's nothing fragile about me, if you want to be racist towards me because of my whiteness so be it.

I don't know the context here, but what's wrong with this?

Edit: this:

White People don't want to think about how much race and racsim plays apart in almost every part of American life

is racist, no? Attributing something to someone based solely on their race?

Reeks

Rather than being concerned about someone having to deal with racism, many people are concerned with being called a racist.

Amir0x

Banned

Translation: The leftist boogeymen won't let me be openly racist, I wish I could return to a time when my white superiority went unchallenged.

They're the loudest, but I'd argue they're still not the majority even on gaming side. They just tend to be the ones posting nonstop in the same thread while everyone else looks at them like they're psychopaths (rightfully so).

Gaming Side could still be a LOT worse than it is if it wasn't for the moderation when it comes to race stuff.

Ultimately what I think it boils down to is that the advantaged (in this case white people) don't want to realize/admit they are advantaged. It makes them feel like they are less deserving. That they didn't work hard to get where they are. They want to deny that you can both work hard while also being given preferential treatment. It's harmful to their/our less hardened egos when the ignorance is dissolved.

I don't know the context here, but what's wrong with this?

Edit: this:

is racist, no? Attributing something to someone based solely on their race?

I like being white too! Nobody here is telling you to feel bad about being white.

Buuut....

You say there's nothing fragile about you, yet you couch your language in defensiveness?

"Apparently" it serves you well? Are you so fragile that you cannot admit to the reality of white privilege?

Are you so fragile that you deflect any criticism as "racism" because of your "whiteness"?

And no that statement is not racist. It in no way contributes to white marginalization. It's a statement confronting the reality of why racism and white nationalism persist in the modern day. Same way saying "Men don't want to think about how much sex and sexism plays a part in almost every part of American life" isn't sexist or misandry in any way.

norm9

There's a risk of being called a racist in a discussion involving race. Nobody wants to be labeled, even if the label fits.

L Thammy

Maybe for some white people, if we are talking about strictly white people here, it might be that comments like these make them feel attacked for simply existing and do more to create an environment of unnecessary hostility then let' say...

... A comment like this that actually allows for discourse.

I don't see how what I said - sarcastic as it is - should make you feel attacked for existing. Do you think that "racism" and "racist" are racial slurs as opposed to descriptions of actions and thoughts? No? Then we're fine. If you're aware that other people actual choose to think that and that it's a problem, then we're more than fine, we're in agreement.

If you're feeling guilty when you haven't been accused of anything, that's not really anyone else's problem. That seems to happen quite a bit as well.

Ran rp

Can't even mention racism in passing without people losing their shit. Especially if it's in an entertainment topic with some overzealous fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom