• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter: Halo 5 MT brought more money in 6 months than any previous Halo DLCs.

Poster#1

Starts at 4:30

Didn't know it was that successful. Makes me wonder why the DLC maps are lower quality than any previous Halo game.

Remix a map if old.

Also:

Also Pachter makes note that Halo 5 had more players playing 6 months in than any other Halo game and sold about on par in that time with Halo's 1, 2, 3, and 4.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Nice. I supported it with hcs org req packs and the announcers.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
To be clear, it's bigger than any other game's cumulative DLC, but not the cumulative sales of all DLC for all games.

But yeah, this is why people stopped selling maps.

I bought a couple fun aesthetic packs. As a Halo fan since CE, I'm fully onboard with this model. Free DLC maps and updates, paid aesthetic stuff.

And Req packs weren't so bad. I kinda liked 'em.

I'm responsible for some of this. I've dropped a couple hundred on req packs. Love that damn game. Still my favorite current gen MP.

Ducayne

Not surprised. The Microsoft/Req Cards MT loop system was well implemented. I blew thru like $300 in req packs on Halo 5 and don't regret it.

Can't say the same for Tomb Raider and Gears, etc tho. Didn't drop a penny there.

Not surprised. The Microsoft/Req Cards MT loop system was well implemented. I blew thru like $300 in req packs on Halo 5 and don't regret it.

Can't say the same for Tomb Raider and Gears, etc tho. Didn't drop a penny there.

Same here. I bought the ultimate edition for Gears as well and I haven't touched it since like two weeks after launch.

Glad all the amazing support has made sense financially for everyone. Can't wait to see what they can achieve building on all of this.

Novocaine

I bought the voice pack, wanna fight about it?

Me too because Buck.

I'm pretty okay with the way Halo 5 deals with the req packs overall. At first I hated the idea of burn cards but you earn packs so quickly just by playing and you get at least 2 permanent unlocks in every pack. The opposite of how Gears handled it.

FingerBang

At first I thought MT was a DLC name, it took me a while to understand what you were talking about.
So for people as dumb as me:

MT = Microtransactions

Caayn

As long as multiplayer without REQ stays (including decent BTB) and Firefight returns to its pre-REQ state, it doesn't bother me.
Didn't know it was that successful. Makes me wonder why the DLC maps are lower quality than any previous Halo game.

Remix a map if old.
They wasted a lot on tournaments that few cared about.

Welfare

The REQ system is excellent. I even threw down $10 to buy an HCS pack and I don't ever buy MTX in other games ever. To me, free DLC with MTX is objectively better than paid DLC that splinters the community. Great news that in 6 months time the revenue outsold total paid DLC revenue for any Halo game prior.

Also Pachter makes note that Halo 5 had more players playing 6 months in than any other Halo game and sold about on par in that time with Halo's 1, 2, 3, and 4.

anothertech

That's awesome news. Hope this trend continues so we can keep getting free maps and keep the player base together in more games.

I'm really happy with Halo 5's dlc implementation. I never spent a dime and I still felt like I was unlocking req packs at a good pace. Free maps is the way to go.

Not all that surprising. Probably helps that the system in place is pretty fair and reasonable. Makes the microtransactions much easier to stomach.

That's awesome news. Hope this trend continues so we can keep getting free maps and keep the player base together in more games.

With as hard as they've doubled down on it with Gears 4 I'd say it's something Microsoft will probably continue to do going forward.

Fatmanp

And yet it means nothing because nobody plays it. The biggest title on the console usually hovers somewhere around number 20 on the most played leaderboard.

hawk2025

I'm responsible for some of this. I've dropped a couple hundred on req packs. Love that damn game. Still my favorite current gen MP.

Spent $50 on the Arena and warzone req bundles. Don't regret it 1 but

I probably spent like $500 or more.

Jesus fuck.

Can't tell you how many times I sat on the Halo: Reach DLC page in the years after its final update (every year), thinking... "boy I'd buy these sets multiple times over for LAN if they ever dropped in price".
Glad to hear their new model is working for them. Sure works for me.

Sounds about right

I've only bought about 2 gold packs and that recent voice pack, but I do remember a friend of mine dropping $20 on a whim lol. I told him that he could easily earn gold packs but that didn't stop him.

Leyasu

Banned
I bought a few too.

Shame that they can't do a req pack that gives you the same aiming as the beta, or one that let's you region filter the matchmaking though.

Honestly a little surprised by how successful it is.

A gold pack valued at 2.99 just seems way too expensive to me. Especially since we're talking about getting random items and cosmetics here.

Yep, gambling is the future of video games. Loot boxes, gacha games, etc return far more profit per dollar invested than games or DLC.

The REQ system is excellent. I even threw down $10 to buy an HCS pack and I don't ever buy MTX in other games ever. To me, free DLC with MTX is objectively better than paid DLC that splinters the community. Great news that in 6 months time the revenue outsold total paid DLC revenue for any Halo game prior.

Glad to hear that Halo 5 is doing that good. Based on the narrative one can find around the game was the last nail in the coffin for a Halo game sales wise.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Glad to hear that Halo 5 is doing that good. Based on the narrative one can find around the game was the last nail in the coffin for a Halo game sales wise.

That narrative was broken when it was released they shipped 5 million by the end of the year it launched, and again when they stated active players were going up instead of down 6 months out. But it Halo is dad you see.

Auraela

Banned
Seems obvious multiplayer maps are heading in direction of being free fir everyone. This cost is offset by all the micro cosmetics that thousands seem to wanna suck up n buy looking back horse armour isnt anywhere near as bad as somr cosmetics now or loot boxes

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess

I wonder who is delusional enough to actually believe that...

It's lead to some of the best post-release support a console game has ever gotten.

By post release support you mean releasing base features from previous games.

The free maps are a better approach, that's great.

I still don't like the REQ microtransactions implementation in the game. Should be like Overwatch, purely aesthetic.

Kill3r7

Interesting

The MP statement seems peculiar. Halo 3 was one of the two most popular MP games on XBL until MW2. Even accounting for more people playing MP today, Halo 5 rarely broke into the top 10 most popular XBL list 6 months post launch.

EDIT: 6 months post launch window.

Top Bottom