• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter: Halo 5 MT brought more money in 6 months than any previous Halo DLCs.

JlNX

The MP statement seems peculiar. Halo 3 was one of the two most popular MP games on XBL until MW2. Even accounting for more people playing MP today, Halo 5 rarely breaks into the top 10 most popular XBL list.

That's because it's been a year and half since it launched and post launch content support ended ages a go with a lot of big mulitplayer games being launched in Q4 2016.

The day GTA 5 went full online and focused on microtransactions while tossing out "free" updates is the day I wished all MT would die.Sure it makes them boat loads of money but because of that we didn't get another Balled of Gay Tony quality like dlc release.

Quality usually goes down when MT are successful in a game and As more and more games go big on the MT the odds of gamers getting shafted goes up.

Only thing I dislike about the REQ system is that you can't just spend your points to buy something specific you want. I had to grind for months until I finally got the armor I wanted. :lol

Synth

He's not completely wrong. The game released with less features than previous Halos. Maybe they didn't have enough time to add them due to time constraints. Who knows, but it would have been nice to have some of the basic features at launch.

He's not completely wrong... but he's also not completely right. It's not as though Halo 5's post-release support consists purely of omitted otherwise standard features.

Kill3r7

That's because it's been a year and half since it launched and post launch content support ended ages a go with a lot of big mulitplayer games being launched in Q4 2016.

Please note that I was talking about 6 months post launch.

Lucifon

Good news if true, Halo 5 struck an almost perfect balance for me of still being rewarding for non-paying players. I never felt like I 'had' to purchase anything. As someone who doesn't get as much time to play games anymore as I'd like, popping online for an hour sesh on an evening was enough to earn 1 - 2 packs which made me feel rewarded for my activity.

Far too many games have got the balance completely wrong. If I feel rewarded I'm more likely to spend money, make it feel like a grind and there's zero chance of me forking out for anything let alone playing the game.

N7.Angel

Of course they are, they aren't making free DLC maps for their fanbase or anything else, it's because MT is a gold mine they need to preserved.

The more people are playing their games, the more they can get by having people buying MT.

It's a win win situation for people like me, I let people with too much money or people that are lacking awareness buying those and I get free content or the same content with actually playing the games.

jem0208

He's not completely wrong. The game released with less features than previous Halos. Maybe they didn't have enough time to add them due to time constraints. Who knows, but it would have been nice to have some of the basic features at launch.
Forge and after game stats were the only things which really should have been in the base game.

Akai__

Eyeroll.gif

He is not wrong:

- No Forge at launch.
(but I can forgive that since the Forge Team was and is the best thing at 343i)
- No dev made BTB maps at all. There are only Forge BTB maps.
- 3 competetive Gametypes since launch.
- Despite Oddball and KotH Gametypes being patched in months later, they are not supported, because they don't have Voice Overs. Couldn't even been bothered to at least use old files for example. Instead we get a pack of paid Voice Over DLC from 3 Voice Actors.
- Releasing several Arena Maps that were not worth anyone's time. Maps that were even taken out completely out of competetive playlists.
- Post Game Carnage Reports missing info like Medals. Not patched in after several months have passed.
- Still no Campaign Theater.

So yes, it shipped with less features and the DLC was pretty much content that should have been in the game.

Also Pachter makes note that Halo 5 had more players playing 6 months in than any other Halo game and sold about on par in that time with Halo's 1, 2, 3, and 4.

I very much doubt that these statements are correct. Halo 2 and Halo 3 both sold way too many units for that to be true. Would love to see him backing that up, especially after 343i already commenting about the population being the best since Halo 3, which means it was only better than H4 and Halo Reach.

Forge and after game stats were the only things which really should have been in the base game.

BTB (still never got dev maps)
Firefight
Game modes
Campaign scoring/theater

All of those were available at launch in previous titles and should have been there day one.

He is not wrong:

- No Forge at launch.
(but I can forgive that since the Forge Team was and is the best thing at 343i)
- No dev made BTB maps at all. There are only Forge BTB maps.
- 3 competetive Gametypes since launch.
- Despite Oddball and KotH Gametypes being patched in months later, they are not supported, because they don't have Voice Overs. Couldn't even been bothered to at least use old files for example. Instead we get a pack of paid Voice Over DLC from 3 Voice Actors.
- Releasing several Arena Maps that were not worth anyone's time. Maps that were even taken out completely out of competetive playlists.
- Post Game Carnage Reports missing info like Medals. Not patched in after several months have passed.
- Still no Campaign Theater.

So yes, it shipped with less features and the DLC was pretty much content that should have been in the game.

Pretty much this.

blakep267

And yet it means nothing because nobody plays it. The biggest title on the console usually hovers somewhere around number 20 on the most played leaderboard.
1. It's been 19 months since release and it's still being played more than recent releases
2. You act as if it has to be the most played game for it to b successful. 18-20 can still have hundreds of thousands of unique players a day
3. Free content updates stopped last summer and yet the retention didn't plummet. It's been hovering around the 18-20 ish spot. If they continued support for it it would be higher

Trup1aya

Starts at 4:30

Didn't know it was that successful. Makes me wonder why the DLC maps are lower quality than any previous Halo game.

Remix a map if old.

Also:

It's clear that they started working on the DLC maps before the game was shipped. Throwing extra at the same designers to settled on remixes isn't going suddenly going to up the quality of the maps.

The design philosophy was flawed to begin with, and MT money didn't t change it. It also seems they didn't realize the maps were bad until after they released them. 🙃

It's clear that they started working on the DLC maps before the game was shipped. Throwing extra at the same designers to settled on remixes isn't going suddenly going to up the quality of the maps.

The design philosophy was flawed to begin with, and MT money didn't t change it. It also seems they didn't realize the maps were bad until after they released them. 🙃

What you don't like Overgrowth?
lol

Outrun

Only thing I dislike about the REQ system is that you can't just spend your points to buy something specific you want. I had to grind for months until I finally got the armor I wanted. :lol

Rightly or wrongly, you playing for months is what MS was hoping for with req packs.

Why does this seem to be getting a free pass yet every other thread for a game that has MTs it's the second coming of the devil? Curious.

Chris1

The MP statement seems peculiar. Halo 3 was one of the two most popular MP games on XBL until MW2. Even accounting for more people playing MP today, Halo 5 rarely broke into the top 10 most popular XBL list 6 months post launch.

EDIT: 6 months post launch window.

To be fair, it doesn't say concurrent.

Could it be that there are more unique players playing, but because the majority of it its fanbase is older they don't have as much time to play thus the charts wouldn't reflect that if they're only playing in short burts each day or whatever compared to in the past when they could play for hours?

I honestly don't know, it is an interesting comment to make, the above is the only thing that really makes sense unless there's even more people playing the top games aswell but I don't think that's the case because it's not like gaming has grown that much in terms of active userbase

On the other hand it is Pachter so grain of salt, but it is a really odd comment to make when nothing really points towards that. The MTX I'm not surprised by in the least though.

Why does this seem to be getting a free pass yet every other thread for a game that has MTs it's the second coming of the devil? Curious.

I play Halo 5 and I've never bought a single MT.

The fact that it's in the game has never affected me, heck its benefited me. In the past I would never buy map packs so the fact that this lets them make maps free has kept me playing longer. Even the game mode that the MTs are centered around is extremely fun.

Chris1

It helps that any "dangerous" mtx is kept to a brand new mode to the franchise. those mtx aren't in regular multiplayer or anything. The Halo people have been playing for years has gone untouched with the exception of cosmetics unlike other games where mtx is typically incorporated into pre existing modes (See CoD etc)

But Halo did get a lot of shit for the req pack system at first.

blakep267

No, not really. Overwatch has a better system. OW allows players to purchase specific items when you save enough. H5 is all random.
Overwatch doesn't have a meaningful sell feature for duplicate reqs you don't want and they also don't have tiers of boxes to buy. Also you get way more req points and can have req multipliers in Halo 5. Finally, yea saving 1000-3000 points for a rare skin is super easy and doesn't take ages to do

id takenbwing able to earn tons of req points at a given time, allowing me to get more packs, than overwatchs random loot box offerings that give me 5 coins for a dupe and a bunch of sprays

I probably spent like $500 or more.

Spent $50 on the Arena and warzone req bundles. Don't regret it 1 but

I bought the voice pack, wanna fight about it?

Not surprised. The Microsoft/Req Cards MT loop system was well implemented. I blew thru like $300 in req packs on Halo 5 and don't regret it.
See, i see absolutely nothinng wrong with any of this. These people purchased a game they enjoyed and continued to invest in that game that they played daily.

Games as a Service is here to stay snd i couldnt be happier.

Overwatch doesn't allow you to sell any duplicate reqs you don't want and they also don't have tiers of boxes to buy. Also you get way more req points and can have req multipliers in Halo 5. Finally, yea saving 1000-3000 points for a rare skin is super easy and doesn't take ages to do

OW automatically sells your duplicates.

MarveI

The REQ system is excellent. I even threw down $10 to buy an HCS pack and I don't ever buy MTX in other games ever. To me, free DLC with MTX is objectively better than paid DLC that splinters the community. Great news that in 6 months time the revenue outsold total paid DLC revenue for any Halo game prior.

Also Pachter makes note that Halo 5 had more players playing 6 months in than any other Halo game and sold about on par in that time with Halo's 1, 2, 3, and 4.

I don't believe this. No way.

But Halo 5s microtransactions is probably one of the best MT implementations.

Fatmanp

1. It's been 19 months since release and it's still being played more than recent releases
2. You act as if it has to be the most played game for it to b successful. 18-20 can still have hundreds of thousands of unique players a day
3. Free content updates stopped last summer and yet the retention didn't plummet. It's been hovering around the 18-20 ish spot. If they continued support for it it would be higher

(1) Halo 2 and Halo 3 were still top of the leaderboards after even longer periods of time even though they had segregated player bases for DLC

(2) 18-20 is a poor showing for the number 1 franchise on a system.

(3) I would argue that it player base was poor to begin with (for a Halo game) so its retention stats are meaningless.

If Halo 5 multiplayer was not called Halo 5 it would be a successful project because for what it is the gameplay is pretty good. However so many fans have left the series because Halo Reach do not play like other Halo games. Enhanced movement has failed in the FPS market. Titanfall proved it. COD returning to WW2 has proved it. Halo needs to return to its roots. IMO

Trup1aya

And BTB
And assault
And KOTH ( in, sorta)
And Oddball (still not in)
And Juggernaut (still not in)

What you don't like Overgrowth?
lol

:kappa:

I dont believe for a second that halo 5 had more players in the first 6 months than halo 2, halo 3.

It's not true. At best, it retained a similar percentage of its population in comparison. But no where near the overall number of players.

Drake

It makes sense about losing players with each map pack. Were the MT in Halo 5 purely cosmetic? If so, then that's the way to go. No effect on game play, players get free DLC and the company gets revenue from people who want to customize their character.

No, not really. Overwatch has a better system. OW allows players to purchase specific items when you save enough. H5 is all random.
Does it though? I will probably never have everything in OW, but I unlocked everything I could for Halo without paying for anything like the team skins, voices dlc, etc.

Trup1aya

It makes sense about losing players with each map pack. Were the MT in Halo 5 purely cosmetic? If so, then that's the way to go. No effect on game play, players get free DLC and the company gets revenue from people who want to customize their character.

There's one gamemode that had gameplay effecting MTs.

Everything else only utilized cosmetics.

blakep267

(1) Halo 2 and Halo 3 were still top of the leaderboards after even longer periods of time even though they had segregated player bases for DLC

(3) I would argue that it player base was poor to begin with (for a Halo game) so its retention stats are meaningless.

If Halo 5 multiplayer was not called Halo 5 it would be a successful project because for what it is the gameplay is pretty good. However so many fans have left the series because Halo Reach do not play like other Halo games. Enhanced movement has failed in the FPS market. Titanfall proved it. COD returning to WW2 has proved it. Halo needs to return to its roots. IMO
Your comparing 2004 and 2007 to now which is silly. COD and GTA online are things. They've happened. Same with madden,fifa 2k etc. people are playing more and more games. The reason you owned an Xbox back then was for halo. The reason you own any console not from Nintendo is for 3rd party monsters these days. Black ops 3 and GTA would probably be beating Halo 3 today

Does it though? I will probably never have everything in OW, but I unlocked everything I could for Halo without paying for anything like the team skins, voices dlc, etc.

You can save for what you want. It might take you a while, but you'll eventually get it. H5 is up to chance. Look how long it took some players get things like the H2 BR. They were +100 and finally got it.

i read this often, but what are the numbers?
what leaderboards?
what are those numbers for Halo 5 in comparison

i do believe people vastly overestimate player retention for those old games.
HaloChartscomHalo4StatsandCharts_zps13630e5a.png~original

gxeEokL.png

this does not look like a good and growing player retention rate

blakep267

You can save for what you want. It might take you a while, but you'll eventually get it. H5 is up to chance. Look how long it took some players get get things like the H2 BR. They were +100 and finally got it.
I saved for 2 months and still didn't have enough coins for a 3000 skin for the last event. That's not an effective system. I had to end up buying actual loot boxes and then I didn't even get any of them. Just barely enough dupes to get me to 3010 coins

You better stop sleeping on BTB!
They had a better game mode called warzone that shits on BTB

Bsigg12

I've bought a few packs for the HCS and voice packs. I also bought the 100 gold req pack option when it was on sale for half off.

leeh

i read this often, but what are the numbers?
what leaderboards?

i do believe people vastly overestimate player retention for those old games.

this does not look like a good and growing player retention rate
The numbers are in peoples imagination and nostalgia lenses.

Halo 3 tanked soon after COD4 came out (understandably). It wasn't long after H3 came out.

Rorschach

Not splitting up the userbase makes sense. DLC launches are what would get me to stop playing. Even if I bought the maps, matches took longer to find and the skill gap was bigger.

LAA

Still not a fan of it and can't see me really supporting it. Think the only time I paid for a REQ pack was when they had a Halo CE pistol pack?
It's great it brings free maps and etc., but I didn't like how REQ packs essentially made Warzone pay to win, at least it certainly felt that way, and still not feeling optimistic about how MS pushes this approach to every game they do.

MarveI

I don't believe it, so it must not be true. Great logic.

Do you have a official source, numbers, that actually prove that H5 sold more in that stretch than H1,2,3,4 or that it had more active players besides Pachter apparently having been told so ?

Silly how defensive people can get. I usually prefer to believe what I see. And unless they release official numbers than excuse me for not believing what someone like Pachter says.

Top Bottom