• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally joined modernity and bought a PS4 Pro

Bubbins

So for a variety of reasons I have held off buying a current gen console (I did get an alienware alpha and a wiiu but those kinda do and don't count but I digress) which is odd for a guy who has bought most consoles since 1997. Anyways, finally bought a PS4 Pro last week and wanted to share some thoughts:

1) 4k is complex- I also bought a 4k (non-HDR) monitor to go along with send PS4, however, the jump to 4k is not nearly as immediately apparent as the jump from SD to HD. SD to HD the whole screen changed; 4k looks great, but you gotta fiddle with a bunch of settings and while it does look amazing once you get everything set, there isn't an instant gratification like SD to HD.

2) I missed console gaming even with steam, console gaming is just simpler. No graphics drivers, no endless tinkering with graphics settings. It's nice just to sit down and game.

3) The menu is great- simple and functional yet elegant. Not sure why but I really like it.

4) New dualshock is nice- it's so light and the light bar doesn't bother me

5) PS2 on PS4 needs some love- the lack of widescreen support on PS2 to PS4 is disappointing as is the catalog. This is something I would spend a lot of money on if Sony got their act together.

6)Random stuff- mine is very quiet. P5 is great and I am enjoying it much much more than I thought I would. Need to spend more time with Nier and HZD. Can't wait for Crash (and one day hopefully the new Dragon Quest).

TLDR: would buy again

jorgejjvr

Yeah the dualshock 4 is really comfortable, all three devs hit it out of the park this time with all of them having their best controllers ever.

He wanted 4K
I have a 4k TV, have tried it with a pro, and a slim. Hardly any difference

Tagyhag

1) 4k is complex- I also bought a 4k (non-HDR) monitor to go along with send PS4, however, the jump to 4k is not nearly as immediately apparent as the jump from SD to HD. SD to HD the whole screen changed; 4k looks great, but you gotta fiddle with a bunch of settings and while it does look amazing once you get everything set, there isn't an instant gratification like SD to HD.

Are you trying a native 4K game? That might be the difference. Some people swear that there is zero difference between checkered 4K and real 4K, but others can definitely tell, especially since you're a PC gamer.

DieH@rd

Banned
n7tImxr.gif

Yeah the dualshock 4 is really comfortable, all three devs hit it out of the park this time with all of them having their best controllers ever.

He wanted 4K

I think it's PS best effort control wise so far! Feels good in my hands.I like it.

But I prefer off set buttons so that is a bit of a bummer for me, also the battery life is really really awful. Both my DS4 give me from 4-6 hours depending on the games.

Congrats

Although a slim would have done just fine

Not with his 4K monitor. Dunno why so many people are quick to dismiss the Pro just because they don't have one.

4k is much more noticable in larger TV's. Going from 1080p to true 4k on a 60 inch is startling

I'm only on the 43 inch x800D and it's great coming from a 42 inch Panny plasma. You don't need 60 inches to notice a big upgrade.

Gator86

So for a variety of reasons I have held off buying a current gen console (I did get an alienware alpha and a wiiu but those kinda do and don't count but I digress) which is odd for a guy who has bought most consoles since 1997. Anyways, finally bought a PS4 Pro last week and wanted to share some thoughts:

2) I missed console gaming even with steam, console gaming is just simpler. No graphics drivers, no endless tinkering with graphics settings. It's nice just to sit down and game.

3) The menu is great- simple and functional yet elegant. Not sure why but I really like it.

5) PS2 on PS4 needs some love- the lack of widescreen support on PS2 to PS4 is disappointing as is the catalog. This is something I would spend a lot of money on if Sony got their act together.

6)Random stuff- mine is very quiet. P5 is great and I am enjoying it much much more than I thought I would. Need to spend more time with Nier and HZD. Can't wait for Crash (and one day hopefully the new Dragon Quest).

Welcome!

1) I'm holding off on 4k right now. I'll probably hop in next gen. Don't want to replace my TV and receiver right now.

2) Even as they get more PC, console gaming is still the best for simplicity.

3) PS4 OS is great now. It's the best gaming OS we've seen so far.

4) Light is still dumb but I'm apathetic to it these days

5) Everything about PS2 on PS4 is awful. It's really a horrible initiative.

6) My pro is also whisper quiet and a great change of pace from jet engine original.

Panzon

Congrats OP. I caved about a month ago and am still having a blast with Horizon: Zero Dawn and Battlefield 1. I don't get much time to game anymore but I make the absolute best of it when I can. 4K looks great to me and PS plus is a godsend

Mathieran

Banned
I don't know how much more noticeable 4K is than 1080 but I definitely notice a difference just downscaling on my my 1080p tv. I imagine the difference is even greater

TI82

Banned
Really? 4k aside, games on Pro do seem smoother. Maybe it's my imagination or maybe it's Enhanced with Pro™.

Don't listen to that guy, PS4 pro and slim are very different experiences.

I think it's PS best effort control wise so far! Feels good in my hands.I like it.

But I prefer off set buttons so that is a bit of a bummer for me, also the battery life is really really awful. Both my DS4 give me from 4-6 hours depending on the games.

Really? My DS4's seem to last seemingly forever. Not Forever-squared like my Nintendo controllers but yeah for a very very long time.

PS2 classics widescreen depends on the game. If it has widescreen support on PS2, it has it on PS4. If not, you're out of luck.

Then you're doing something wrong. When I got my pro, I immediately noticed things in the game tiles I didn't notice before.. plus the games themselves look pristine (second time I used that word this week, lol)

OT: keep doing what you're doing, which is make yourself happy.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.

I just bought a PS4 Slim and I have a 4k tv, heh.

I'll address your points though.

1: For any tv to look it's best you have to do some work, 4K or not. My partners brother spent a lot of cash a few years ago on a high end Samsung tv and stuck it in dynamic mode. Calibrate your shit!

2: After waiting for everything to install. You clearly haven't played much disc based games yet as nearly every game needs at least a patch when you chuck the disk in.

3: Still getting used to it, but it's functional and snappy. Love the Abe's Odyssey theme.

4: Too light! I love the usage of the light bar in Tearaway however and how it changes colour in games like Uncharted.

5: Not tried yet but that's a sore point I think!

6: Also waiting for Crash here. Wondering if it's worth making a CA account to get The Order on the cheap, I still need to work out fully how to do that though! Using an Xbox branded 2TB HDD because I thought it would be slightly ironic. Works well though!

So far, so good however. Looking forward to playing World of Final Fantasy, Wolfenstein, and the Uncharted Collection especially but have 13 games already to get through. Yey backlogs.

I hope you enjoy your new PS4 too OP.

Sigh.

Another Pro thread hit with the "shoulda just bought a Slim" nonsense shit post.

Some people legit make it their life mission to libel the Pro for just the silliest of reasons. The Pro has been an amazing upgrade over my OG PS4 and that's just the truth.

Randam

Oh boy, here we go..

Updating your drivers is on click. No difference than updating your console firmware.

And endless tinkering?

The days were you could turn on your console and start playing right away are long gone too.

Oh boy, here we go..

Updating your drivers is on click. No difference than updating your console firmware.

And endless tinkering?

The days were you could turn on your console and start playing right away are long gone too.

I'll never understand why you PCMR guys can't just let console gamers enjoy themselves.

I'll never understand why you PCMR guys can't just let console gamers enjoy themselves.

OP asked for that response putting that comment in there. No one is hampering OP's enjoyment...lol. Just pointing out that this

Is going to be major talking point of this thread. Because honestly it's a little silly to feel this way. PC gaming is not that much harder than console gaming.

breakfuss

Already been mentioned...ENABLE 2FA!!! DO IT.

And anyone saying they haven't noticed the difference between the resolutions of a pro/OG is blind. I'm not suggesting it's earth shattering shit but it's certainly a treat to behold. Horizon is just...gorgeous.

Hux1ey

Banned

You'll last long here.

No sarcasm either.

You're the one who started it, you have no moral high ground here.

Started it by correcting an ignorant statement? You can auto download and install graphic drivers.

Grats on the pro, there are a few graphic options though so a bit of the old PC kerfuffle remains!

N7.Angel

It's a mistake to me, my worst purchase since the Xbox One... honestly my PS4 would have been more than ok because the improvement on games are minimal to average at best.

What brand/model, settings, and games? Even just Diablo III was like night and day after it got a Pro patch.

I hooked up my old PS4 just the other day to reformat it and it looked like garbage even just looking at the menu after 6 months with the Pro and a finely tuned KS8000.

Hey guys I bought a ps4 pro, really like it,! YOU SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A PC/PS4 SLIM/CONSOLES ARE BAD/PCS ARE COMPLICATED/4K ISNT READY/SCORPIO

Sorry about all this, OP. Hope you enjoy your Pro!

Tagyhag

I'll never understand why correcting someone saying something factually wrong about PC gaming means that you're automatically an asshole.

By the way, you're continuing the GAF tradition that only console fanboys say "Master race" unironically. Good job! :p

Top Bottom