• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally joined modernity and bought a PS4 Pro

GlamFM

Banned
I'll never understand why correcting someone saying something factually wrong about PC gaming means that you're automatically an asshole.

By the way, you're continuing the GAF tradition that only console fanboys say "Master race" unironically. Good job! :p

Garbage. OP is factually right. Even though PC gaming has gotten super simple, console gaming is still simpler.

No clue why you are all going after this poor guy.

Threads going to turn to shit.

Just needs a Scorpio post lol.

As a pro owner I jumped the gun. Should have waited until I got a 4K set. I've seen the fps improvements in games and tf2 looks better downsampled but it's essentially the same games with extra fluff. And it will be exactly the same with Scorpio when that launches.

My pro is used to watch the wwe app. I've felt no reason to buy any new games and most of my gaming has been done on my pc. I really need to sell my og PS4 as that it's also collecting dust. Damn I'm lazy as fuck.

Hux1ey

Banned
Garbage. OP is factually right. Even though PC gaming has gotten super simple, console gaming is still simpler.

No clue why are all going after this poor guy.

"No graphics drivers, no endless tinkering with graphics settings. It's nice just to sit down and game."

It just gets tiring hearing the same lame stereotypes of PC gaming over and over, graphic drivers can be auto downloaded and installed, graphics settings usually automatically set to recommended settings, if not you can just use geforce experience to auto set graphics.

it's not 2005 any more.

Thorrgal

Not with his 4K monitor. Dunno why so many people are quick to dismiss "insert random thing" just because they "can't/won't" have one.

Fixed.

(Because humans)

Regarding the PC vs Console war it's true that consoles are just simpler to many people...it may not be true FOR YOU, but it is FOR THEM, so just leave those guys the fuck alone, jesus...

That's great OP. I bought one at launch and very much enjoy it. Bought the PS4 at launch too. Great console.

Comments that the Pro isn't much of an upgrade is head scratching to me. As someone who was using the OG PS4 on a 4k TV, it's a big difference.

Perhaps they seen a slim on a small 1080p TV and a Pro on a small 4k TV? Decided it wasn't a difference? Idk.

Wish there were my games before the Pro that would get the treatment though. R6 Siege please!!!

JimboJones

"No graphics drivers, no endless tinkering with graphics settings. It's nice just to sit down and game."

It just gets tiring hearing the same lame stereotypes of PC gaming over and over, graphic drivers can be auto downloaded and installed, graphics settings usually automatically set to recommended settings, if not you can just use geforce experience to auto set graphics.

it's not 2005 any more.

Isn't there like a thread every so often bemoaning the fact some 4K PS4 games don't have super sampling in 1080p, or moan when a developer changes some graphic elements in an update. People moan about tinkering with options but then cry when they don't get the option to tinker!

Hux1ey

Banned
Fixed.

(Because humans)

Regarding the PC vs Console war it's true that consoles are just simpler to many people...it may not be true FOR YOU, but it is FOR THEM, so just leave those guys the fuck alone, jesus...

No one is arguing that, just people correcting incorrect statements.

Isn't there like a thread every so often bemoaning the fact some 4K PS4 games don't have super sampling in 1080p, or moan when a developer changes some graphic elements in an update. People moan about tinkering with options but then cry when they don't get the option to tinker!

Yup, obviously every one is different but the days of plug and play consoles are gone, there are firmware updates, patches, install times and now even graphical options! It's almost the full PC experience!

It sounds like the OP would be better suited to the regular PS4 if he dislikes options but hey.

MazeHaze

Banned
Count me in the 4k meh camp. I have a 55 inch 4k TV and a powerful gaming PC. Depending on the demands of the game I play in 1080p, 1440 and 4k. Yeah 4k looks sharper than 1080p, but it isn't "startling" or "truly next gen" or "life changing, once youve seen it you can't go back."

And honestly, I can't tell a difference between 1440p and 4k on a 55 inch TV.

Edit: I also use a reg ps4 on the same TV, and it looks fantastic still. Certainly not worth the hassle and price of upgrading imo.

Hux1ey

Banned
Count me in the 4k meh camp. I have a 55 inch 4k TV and a powerful gaming PC. Depending on the demands of the game I play in 1080p, 1440 and 4k. Yeah 4k looks sharper than 1080p, but it isn't "startling" or "truly next gen" or "life changing, once youve seen it you can't go back."

And honestly, I can't tell a difference between 1440p and 4k on a 55 inch TV.

Edit: I also use a reg ps4 on the same TV, and it looks fantastic still. Certainly not worth the hassle and price of upgrading imo.

Have you tried sitting closer? 1440p to 4k is a pretty huge jump. I've only seen it on a monitor though to be fair.

MazeHaze

Banned
Have you tried sitting closer? 1440p to 4k is a pretty huge jump. I've only seen it on a monitor though to be fair.

On a monitor, sure. But I sit about 5 or 6 feet from my TV, there's really no way/reason to sit closer. Everything looks fantastic.

tsundoku

also op you made the right choice but not for bad 4k which is not here yet and just an excuse for tv mfgrs to sell you a new tv and charge you out the ass for you

you made the right choice because you can ACTUALLY play games at 30 fps like last guardian / gravity rush 2 / ffxv instead of the ROCK SOLID. 7-17-27 fps that they run at """at parity""" on the launch ps4 hardware

I'll never understand why correcting someone saying something factually wrong about PC gaming means that you're automatically an asshole.

By the way, you're continuing the GAF tradition that only console fanboys say "Master race" unironically. Good job! :p
What did he say that was factually wrong?? Quote it plz.

Jessensor

Congrats OP I also just got one!

Playing Zero Dawn on my 4K TV took my breath away. The HDR is really apparent. Best looking game I have seen.

Keen to get into some exclusives, I've never owned a PS before.

Tagyhag

No clue why are all going after this poor guy.

What did he say that was factually wrong?? Quote it plz.

Sorry, factually wasn't the correct word. It's more about semantics.

Such as assuming graphic drivers are such a big problem or you spend an insane amount of time tinkering with graphic settings. Heck, there's a one-click button to optimize if someone is feeling lazy.

Console gaming is still simpler don't get me wrong, but it's also not plug and play like it used to be, especially if you have an Internet connection.

Sigh.

Another Pro thread hit with the "shoulda just bought a Slim" nonsense shit post.

Some people legit make it their life mission to libel the Pro for just the silliest of reasons. The Pro has been an amazing upgrade over my OG PS4 and that's just the truth.

For you probably. No need to get super defensive.

The only reason I'd personally get a Pro over a Slim is because of the optical out but I'm not here to tell you that you should too.

Best wishes.

I bought and returned two Pros in November because of noise and got a Slim which has been great. I just got a third Pro today and the fan noise is about the same so I'm really unlucky. I have a 65KS8000 and sit about 9 feet away. I can see a bit of a difference, but it's not blowing me away enough to deal with the noise problems so this third one is going back and I'll wait for a redesign. If there isn't one then I guess I'll have a reason to replay these Pro enhanced games on the PS5.

kevin1025

Banned
Hope you like the console! My advice: keep an eye out for flash sales every month! You can get a fantastic library going pretty quickly with those!

Jimrpg

This. I'd say 55inches is the bare minimum to really start appreciating it. Also HDR seals the whole deal, why did you get a 4K set that didn't have HDR, OP?

Why is this always a thing in 4k threads? Are people still rocking iPhone 3Gs with their 640x480 screens? Don't people want more resolution on their phone screens?

cakely

I have a 4k TV, have tried it with a pro, and a slim. Hardly any difference

Congratulations!

Also, guys, what are you trying to accomplish with the posts telling the OP he made a mistake? Are you hoping he'll return it? Or are you just trying to make someone feel bad?

Why is this always a thing in 4k threads? Are people still rocking iPhone 3Gs with their 640x480 screens? Don't people want more resolution on their phone screens?
No, I don't want more resolution on my phone. It takes a hit in the battery life for very little benefit visually.

Fredrik

PC gaming is not that much harder than console gaming.
The truth.

I haven't "fiddled" with any driver or patches since I bought my gaming rig 4 years ago. I've just bought the games on Steam and everything has just worked with zero tinkering. The fiffling is taken care of by Steam without me knowing about it. Steam sometimes says that it has been automatically updated and restarts with one mouse click and a 10 second start up time. That's it. If I want to use a controller I just plug it in and it instantly works and the UI in the games swap to indicate buttons instead of keys. Quite amazing really. PC gaming could honestly be sold with Apple's "It just works." slogan from my point of view.

I swapped out my 780ti to a 980ti 2 years ago though, but even that was surprisingly easy: power down the computer, loosen the cables and screws, pull out the old card, plug in the new card, reconnect the cables and tighten the screws, power up the computer. Done.

Those who complain about how difficult PC gaming is probably haven't used a modern PC with Steam. You definitely _can_ fiddle with a bunch of stuff if you want to, but you don't have to if you don't want to.

57f0d2d96a9ce1218ac45ed769b12bc6.jpg

Its worth the hit
Nah. I'm already well above 1080p and at this size of the screen the minor marginal difference isn't worth the hit to battery life at all. 4k would be pointless but I know they are all going to push it because it sounds good marketing wise.

Occam

Congrats

Although a slim would have done just fine

What an ignorant first post. Aside from higher res (OP has a 4k screen) , PS4 Pro also offers better textures and framerate. If used in 1080p mode some games have downsampling. Especially for PSVR, the Pro is a huge upgrade.

as a owner of a gaming PC, XB1 and PS4 pro

The only two negatives I can say about the PS4/pro is that it lacks backwards compatibility ( even worse, if you actually paid for PS2/PS1 games digitally on PS3 you can't even play them on your PS4, which is why I don't understand why PS3 had ended production in Japan, there isn't a replacement for the digital games bought on that system yet, this is where XB1 succeeds). And my second gripe is the fact that you have to pay to play online.

edit: 3rd gripe is....

I wish PSVR wasn't so expensive. I'd love to enjoy it someday but that price is putting me off. I'll probably finally end up playing RE7 in VR and Farpoint 3-4 years from now when the price decreases a bit (but by then something better will be out smh)

RalchAC

You have good taste, sir.

Enjoy Persona 5. I plan to buy Nier Automata soon alongside my PS4. I promised to myself when I was a kid that I'll burn my first salary in fancy stuff I wanted, and I'm totally not disapointing him.

So I should join modernity next month too :p

- Enable 2FA on your PSN
- Change screenshot settings to PNG
- Try out Remote Play
- Download free themes on PSN
- Get in Bloodborne/UC4/Horizon ZD/Until Dawn/Ratchet & Clank in your blood

5olid_5nake

Soooo, I also have bought Pro two days ago, but how do I enable downsampling for Uncharted 4? Any tips and tricks for a noob user in general?

Melchiah

Oh boy, here we go..

Updating your drivers is on click. No difference than updating your console firmware.

And endless tinkering?

The days were you could turn on your console and start playing right away are long gone too.

My experiences on both platforms are the opposite of that. I bought Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs some time ago, and just gave up on playing it after trying several times to change and save the Nvidia settings. On top of that, my laptop's secondary Intel GPU crashes every once in a while. Whereas on the PS4, when I startup the system all the games have been patched in the rest mode, and I can start playing right away.

Congrats op.

But "endless tinkering" with settings is just dumb,there's no such thing anymore (if automatic settings are enough ; and since you prefer a console I'd say they are.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I really enjoy my gaming PC, but I haven't really played it since I got my Pro a month ago. Console exclusives are a thing. Playing TLoU in 4k with HDR was a revelation. I'm no graphics snob, I think Pro stuff looks great to me. I personally can't tell checkerboard from true 4k.

You enjoy, OP.

Top Bottom