• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime dubs that are better than the original sub

I know most anime dubs are terrible, or at least not as good, as their original subbed versions, but there are a few out there.

For me at least I prefer the English dubbed versions of Hellsing Ultimate, Cowboy Bebop, and Dragon Ball Z (which judging by the recent DBZ threads seems like divisive issue).

What about you guys, which dubbed version of anime do you prefer over their original versions?

AAK

Full Metal Alchemist.

In subs they can't even pronounce their names right.

Also: Samurai Champloo.

Sephzilla

Dubbed DragonBall Z is better simply because you don't have to listen to Grandma Goku.
And the Faulconer music is better

*runs*

VDenter

Banned
There are none you can only get as good as the original. Something like Cowboy Bebop and DBZ Kai come really close.

Many of Carl Macek's STREAMLINE PICTURES dubs from the late 80s/early 90s.

So much charm in both the writing and performances.
In particular, Macek's original dub for The Castle of Cagliostro is outstanding - and I was so damn glad they added it on the most recent Bluray release.

Moaradin

Yu Yu Hakusho
FMA
Cowboy Bebop
Space Dandy
Baccano
Steins;Gate
Golden Boy

Though there are tons of dubs that I'd consider just as good.

Aiii

So not worth it
Dubbed DragonBall Z is better simply because you don't have to listen to Grandma Goku.

*runs*

No, and NOOOOOOOOO.

Honestly, OP, I can't think of single example of a dub being better than the original Japanese dub. The German dub of Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z however comes fairly close to the original (mostly because it keeps the original music -except for Gohan's SSJ2 transformation, which is a crime against all that is holy).

Kite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxJ4VWoeOzs

Ghost Stories - Abridged series before it became a youtube thing. The original anime is a lame kids show so instead of doing a straight dub ADV allowed the American voice actors to go nuts.

Not the most marketable anime on the market, Ghost Stories apparently tanked in its short run on Japanese television. With a quiet run on the North American market on the horizon, anime television network, Animax, came to ADV Films for English dubbing with three rules and a request: 1. Do not change the names of any character, including the ghosts 2. Do not change the way any ghost is killed as it is based on Asian ghost legends 3. Do not change the meaning of the episode 4. Do whatever else you want to make the show successful

Here's the result:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxJ4VWoeOzs&t=6m47s

ADV's dubbed version retains the basic plot structure and storyline, but alters much of the dialogue into comedy written by ADV screenwriter Steven Foster and ad-libbed by the voice actors. The original Japanese audio and literal subtitle translation are also included on the DVD. The dub received favorable reviews and the original Japanese licensor, Aniplex, approved the changes.

http://www.tokyopop.com/blog/ghost-stories-perhaps-the-best-dubbed-anime-around

Dragon Ball Z no contest. I have kind of gotten used to the Japanese Goku, Gohan and Goten voices (they are all voiced by the same person) because of Super but nothing still beats Sean Schemmel's voice as Goku. Plus the rest of the English voice cast is top notch.

Dragon Ball Z Kai . Not the original one that we all remember from out childhoods. The Faulconer score only worked in a few select areas and the voice for Frieza sucked. Kai gives up better music, better quality acting, better audio quality, and is more accurate to the original material (sometimes too much, like Mr. Satan instead of Hercule).

Dragon Ball Z no contest. I have kind of gotten used to the Japanese Goku, Gohan and Goten voices (they are all voiced by the same person) because of Super but nothing still beats Sean Schemmel's voice as Goku. Plus the rest of the English voice cast is top notch.

His voice is so perfect for Goku.

*runs*

You were conditioned to like crap, you didn't have any saying in this, eventually you developed a taste for crap and ended up thinking is the real deal.

McBryBry

All the ones I can think of have been said. DBZ, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Fullmetal.

I will say while it might not be superior to the sub, I really enjoy Steins;Gate's dub. I'm rewatching the show now and I love the dubbed voices.

There are none you can only get as good as the original. Something like Cowboy Bebop and DBZ Kai come really close.
When the director​ himself says the English dub is better, then it's better. So Cowboy Bebop without a doubt.

For me tho, DBZ, both FMAs, Haruhi Suzumiya (literally everyone in the cast is amazing, and Crispin Freeman is jaw dropping in Disappearance), Evangelion (imo), Golden Boy, Baccano (SO FUCKIN GOOD), Steins:Gate, Code Geass, Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket. There are probably others but those are what I think of first.

arigato

I vastly prefer the English dub of Yu-Gi-Oh, but regardless due to 4kids censorship I always opt to watch the original Japanese version instead.

Linkark07

Banned
Latin American dub of Dragon Ball, Inuyasha, Card Captor Sakura, Digimon Adventure, Pokemon.

You could say Sailor Moon too. Usagi/Serena Japanese's voice is too loud. I got accustomed by now, but at first, it was quite irksome.

Camjo-Z

Lupin Part II is better with the dub IMO. Sometimes the delivery can be overly hammy but the writing is much snappier and more comedic than the subs, and the casting is just perfect. I can't wait for that Part IV dub with the same voices.

ZangBa

It's all about that DBZ dub with the faulconer music. Original music is straight trash.

Cowboy Bebop, too, of course.

TheChaos0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxJ4VWoeOzs

Ghost Stories - Abridged series before it became a youtube thing. The original anime is a lame kids show so instead of doing a straight dub ADV allowed the American voice actors to go nuts.

http://www.tokyopop.com/blog/ghost-stories-perhaps-the-best-dubbed-anime-around

Wait, that was the actual dub? Then I can think of any other dub than this.

Trigun, Slayers and Bebop are my favourite dubs. I'd say they are on par with their Japanese ones.. maybe Slayers on is better... maybe...

Oh and Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Crispin Freeman was perfect as Kyon.

Dr.Hadji

If your show has numerous nationalities and accents, then I usually find the dub to be superior. That and if the show is drawing heavy influence from western culture. Cowboy Bebop draws from both liberally. That is why CB DUB > CB SUB.

For any show you watch the dub before the sub.

I'm usually the type of guy that goes for the dub whenever if it's available, but a few show dubs stand out. Gundam SEED for exemple is much much better dubbed then subbed. Mainly Mu la flaga and Rau le Creuset. D.Gray-Man too. Todd Haberkon has Allen Walker is just way too good.

Recently, The dub of My Hero Academia has been a mix. I thnk both are excellent, but they are some character I prefer the dub voices. Christopher Sabat has All Might and Justin Briner has Deku are just perfect.

Mulgrok

I have a hard time watching the sub of one punch man after the dub was pulled from netflix. The voices seemed to fit very well.

Top Bottom