• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime dubs that are better than the original sub

Ray Down

Banned
Yu Yu Haskusho is the only one for me.

I have some DBZ nostalgia, but Nozawa is a much better Goku. Even at 80 years old she still willing to scream her throat apart.

NandoGip

The problem with the OG english DBZ dub isn't that it's necessarily a bad performance (arguable) but the fact that if you only watched the show and never read the manga/watched it with faithful subs, you actually watched a completely different story. Many are unaware of this.

When recording the dub, it's said that they used a translation of the latin america dub, and then filled in the blanks for many story points. That's why you have people thinking Goku is comparable to Superman but in reality he's more of a chaotic force fueled by an innocent hunger for competition through fighting.

Look up dub comparisons on youtube to see how even DBKai is leagues beyond better than the OG dub.

Trigun and Golden Boy are what comes to mind first. I've tried to watch Trigun subbed and it just doesn't work for me. Also:

Yu Yu Hakusho
Outlaw Star
Ranma 1/2

DBZ's English Goku and Japanese Goku make the character either a goody-two-shoe fun loving dude or a warrior psychopath. I love Vegeta, Piccolo and Krillin's English voice actors though. You need the Jap VAs for the most satisfying Kamehamehas.

Some anime are interchangeable and I can enjoy them in dub and sub pretty equally (Samurai Champloo, Attack on Titan, games like Persona 5 recently)

Evangelion has some really strong voice actors but then some that fall pretty short... It's a mixed bag

Oh and most Studio Ghibli dubs are top notch (probably because they use big name actors as VAs).
I loved Howl's Moving Castle's dub more than the Japanese dub. Seita's English dub in Grave of the Fireflies was fantastic.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Wolf Children also had solid dubbed versions

Cowboy Bebop
Fullmetal alchemist
Dragon ball Z

And a shout out to My hero academia, don't want to say it's better than the sub but it's really good I think.

I don't like dubs at all.

I speak Japanese tho, so that's probably the reason. I can't even judge objectively because almost all anime I've watched was in Japanese. If I catch a dubbed version on TV, it just throws me off.

Good to see some dub lovers. I know some people who won't even give English dubs a chance despite there being some good ones. Comes off incredibly pretentious when someone weebs out and uses the excuse that "Japanese is the way it was intended to be watched." People can watch and enjoy however they want. I usually go for Japanese version but will occasionally go for English dub if it's good.

Hydrus

DBZ. Funimation + Faulconer = Goat. I'll fight to the death to defend this.

latest

Just gaze into his eyes. You know it's the truth.

Kthulhu

Good to see some dub lovers. I know some people who won't even give English dubs a chance despite there being some good ones. Comes off incredibly pretentious when someone weebs out and uses the excuse that "Japanese is the way it was intended to be watched." People can watch and enjoy however they want. I usually go for Japanese version but will occasionally go for English dub if it's good.

To be fair, some dubs have awful localizations that are completely unrelated to the original script (and not in a good way like Ghost Stories). Looking at you 4kids.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I only say DBZ because it's the only anime I've ever watched the dub before I tried to watch the subbed ones.

I recommend subbers give one of the more decent dubs a chance. It gives you such a different experience listening to something in your language when its good.

Silav101

History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi and Panty, Stocking and Garterbelt dubs were amazing.

Especially PSG, that was a god-tier localization and dub.

ckohler

I think Kill la Kill's dub is great and the localization fantastic. While not all characters sound better, some are far more funny like Gamagori, Mataro, and Takarada.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I can't speak for DBZ, but DB Super absolutely is better in its English Dub. Not just in terms of voice acting, but also in terms of script improvements.

Many of Carl Macek's STREAMLINE PICTURES dubs from the late 80s/early 90s.

So much charm in both the writing and performances.
In particular, Macek's original dub for The Castle of Cagliostro is outstanding - and I was so damn glad they added it on the most recent Bluray release.

I have a soft spot for that dub (has a great Zenigata VA and I quite like Bergen's Lupin) and I would've been sweating bullets for a host of reasons if we hadn't put it on there. Glad it met with your approval!

DrD

Malaysian DBZ dub is best dub
Probably the most accurate representation of Toriyama's work.

My favorite dubs:

Baccano! - New York and Chicago accents and slang for an anime set in New York is far more fitting than the characters speaking Japanese. It has some of the most memorable voice acting in the medium. The crazy but highly entertaining Ladd Russo, the best couple in anime (Isaac and Miria), Luck Gandor, Chuck Huber as The Demon, Jacuzzi Splot.

Yu Yu Hakusho - Most of the cast is pretty familiar if you've ever watched DBZ. My favorites are Kuwabara and Hiei but the whole cast is good.

Cowboy Bebop - Steven Blum is Spike Spiegal for me. No other voice is acceptable.

There's other great dubs I didn't mention like Black Lagoon, Great Teacher Onizuka, Full Metal Alchemist.

jjasso21

A few old school anime had a great Dub. Such as:
Slayers
Gunsmith Cats
Yu Yu Hakusho
Outlaw Star
DBZ depending on the region

It's kinda necessary to watch the dub given how rapid fire the dialog can be but I really, really like the work put into Excel Saga.

Also, Pani Poni Dash is a favorite of mine.

I actually prefer Stand Alone Complex's English dub. For me that's my canon Matoko and Batou voices, they just do an awesome job. Plus I find all the English terms sound better in English than Japanese.

In general, I find English is often better at more serious tones, with Japanese better at either the cutesy Moe tone or yelling things during action anime (this is Jojo all over lol)

Pizza

I really really like the funimation voice actors with the JP music for dragon ball. I know people have issues with the writing changes, and I totally respect that. I like the changes more tho.
also I like all the movies and it's dumb they're not canon

Generally I prefer subs tho

I should try out bebop again with the English VA's. I feel like I missed something the first time I tried to watch it, its GOOD but I didn't get the hype

Nepenthe

Dragon Ball Z.

I've grown to actually appreciate Nozawa due to Super, even though Schemmel's Goku is still awesome. Like, seriously, dub people need to back the fuck up off of her and show some respect.

HOWEVER.

Everyone else sounds absolutely wrong and/or boring, especially Krillin and King Kai respectively. The jokes also don't land as well either, and I don't know if that's because I can't pick out the comedic inflections in Japanese, or if the dub scripts are actually just that much better. Sabat's Vegeta is fucking king and enough of a reason to never bother with Japanese.

I dunno if I could pick one. I'd say maybe One Piece at times, but even then I'd have to cross reference every damn episode which would require an extra lifetime.

I sometimes think to myself that a dub is quite good only to later discover how much context it's missing compared to subs. Attack on Titan was one that did this. Only did 10 minutes of the first episode but so much of the tone was lost.

Top Bottom