• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime dubs that are better than the original sub

Fox318

Dragon Ball Z
Ghost in the Shell
Golden Boy
Fullmetal Alchemist

There are a few that are as good but not many that are better.

kunonabi

Ranma 1/2(first few seasons before Richard Cox)
El Hazard
lupin III
Tenchi Muyo
Dbz (original not funimation)
Sailor moon (original dic)
Fatal fury the motion picture
Nightwarriors
Slayers
yuyu hakusho

speaking mostly about voicework and not censorship decisions.

NEO0MJ

Great Teacher Onizuka's dub was great, but I didn't watch it with subs so I can't compare. Still, I remember it being solid.

Kthulhu

Panty and Stocking. Most comedy in general is better dubbed IMO, but Funimation did an amazing job with P&G. I need to get the Blu Ray one of these days.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Well, this turned to crap really quickly.

Original DBZ cast + music > most DBZ dubs > Malaysian dub > English dub with Faulconer OST

The French dub for Princess Mononoke is pretty good when it comes to the cast. Ashitaka is love.

Crayon-Shin-chan-stickers-640511.png
and
screenshot_1_21226.jpg

Ranma 1/2(first few seasons before Richard Cox)

Man... I was just a kid when I started watching Ranma 1/2, and my heart sank whenever I got to the point where they changed Ranma's voice. I never ended up getting very far into that season.

What actually counts as a good dub; is it sticking as close to the source material as possible, having something with a really clever localisation like Ace Attorney (eat your hamburgers Apollo) so that it's more suited for a western audience, or voice actors who do a good job and don't sound like they're phoning it in?

For example, I love the dub of Digimon series 1, but I've heard that it's completely different than the Japanese original. The main reason I like it though is due to the voice actors giving really strong performances.

Ghost Stories is the only one that should be on this thread.

Honestly I prefer the original japanese dub (original sub) better due to the voice actors/actresses putting more effort into their roles compared to their dubbing counterparts from other countries, and then you have the dub mistranslating (or impossible to translate) the nuances of Japanese itself. Then again I'm raised in a bi-language household so hearing other languages I don't understand at first doesn't put me off from enjoying it.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
What actually counts as a good dub; is it sticking as close to the source material as possible, having something with a really clever localisation like Ace Attorney (eat your hamburgers Apollo) so that it's more suited for a western audience, or voice actors who do a good job and don't sound like they're phoning it in?

Yes.

Rurouni Kenshi (Samurai X ). Especially the voice Kenshin, the Japanese VA was a women and it was painfully obvious. Can't even bear to watch the subs for that show.

kunonabi

For example, I love the dub of Digimon series 1, but I've heard that it's completely different than the Japanese original. The main reason I like it though is due to the voice actors giving really strong performances.

For dubs im mostly concerned with delivery, capturing the spirit of the character, and chemistry. Kuno and nabiki from the english dub of ranma 1/2 are a prime example of all three.

Gigageiger

Neo Member
What's that anime where the dub voice actors were basically just given liberty to say whatever the fuck they want? I only remember there's a segment of two construction workers near a sewer or something like that.

Kthulhu

Ghost Stories is the only one that should be on this thread.

Honestly I prefer the original japanese dub (original sub) better due to the voice actors/actresses putting more effort into their roles compared to their dubbing counterparts from other countries, and then you have the dub mistranslating (or impossible to translate) the nuances of Japanese itself. Then again I'm raised in a bi-language household so hearing other languages I don't understand at first doesn't put me off from enjoying it.

Boy, I hope no voice actors that have done dub work are in this thread.

What's that anime where the dub voice actors were basically just given liberty to say whatever the fuck they want? I only remember there's a segment of two construction workers near a sewer or something like that.

Duel Masters?

Generic card game anime that they turned into a parody for the English market.

Kthulhu

Depends on the source material IMHO. Ghost Stories' dub is an awesome dub precisely because it's so different from the original.

Boy, I hope no voice actors that have done dub work are in this thread.

Let them come haha. It's just something I've noticed or might be just a personal preference of mine. Code Geass for example is an anime whose English dub is considered great. And while said dub is good I still vastly prefer it's original Japanese subbed counterpart due to how intense it is which is fitting for the over-the-top show

I just thought of another one where the dub just makes it the best. Every Digimon anime. The dub/localisation just makes better all around. Digimon adventure the movie and Digimon Our war game, were much much more fun with the english VA and american soundtrack.

Paltheos

DBZ again, of course. I don't understand how anyone can like the Japanese dub at all. Maybe not liking the original with the Faulconer music (I can imagine such a universe, even if I heavily disagree because the Japanese music is too muted for an action-packed kids show like DBZ), but those screechy voices? I... just don't see it.

Dragon Ball Z no contest. I have kind of gotten used to the Japanese Goku, Gohan and Goten voices (they are all voiced by the same person) because of Super but nothing still beats Sean Schemmel's voice as Goku. Plus the rest of the English voice cast is top notch.

Sean Schemmel's early stuff is better. The more time went on the more he lost the voice of Goku and just started playing the dude as straight paragon, which Goku is definitely not.

Another DBZ thread eh

lol seriously, people were nearly straight triggered at the thought of people liking the dub

that being said, I honestly can't tell you op; I only am fluent in English, I watched my fair share of anime and know a couple of Japanese words but I can't tell you all the nuance that is the Japanese language. been through the motions that "They put more feeling into their acting" but then again I have no idea of that beasue I have very little understanding of Japanese.

Anecdotal; but way back when Star Ocean IV came out for the 360 it was a pretty bad dub....specially "you know who," when it was released on the PS3 it also came with a Japancese va, it seemed "better" that i didn't have have to worry about the crappy english va but another game forum i was on had a handful of japanese/english speakers and they told us the Japanese was just as bad. clearly it's their opinion but for all us saying it was immensely better was because it was a language we don't understand, sounds exotic, it's were our Japanese centric entertainment comes from so we're inclined to like it.

Village

I would like to add
Space dandy
Samurai champloo
And panty and stocking to my list
And fucking duel masters

Og abridged series

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
It's whatever you watch first as long as it's not overly bad.

So I'll go with Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo.

Line_HTX

Cromartie High School

Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig. There should be no dispute about GitS ever.

Hellsing Ultimate

Code Geass

Cowboy Bebop

Big O

Trigun

Outlaw Star

Wolf's Rain

Samurai Champloo

Space Dandy, baby~

Durarara

Akira

Yu Yu Hakusho

Line_HTX

Oh right, whoever said Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is on point too. It was easier to understand some of the crazy stuff in that show.

As well as Steins;Gate. That was amazing too.

I'd give a tiny slight edge to Your Name just for clarity's sake, but only slightly.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
WTF @ everyone saying DBZ????

Masako Nazawa>>>>>the world!!!!!!!!!!!!

animatetv_nozawa.jpg
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Top Bottom